• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Beta testing Enthusify as a new Classified Ad platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Beta testing Enthusify as a new Marketplace platform

You out your damn mind if you think I am going to give you 10% of my sales (which per transaction could be over $300, based on how expensive some sales are here).

Dont be stupid.

You have 0 (zero) feedback on here. Have you even ever sold on here?

Keep the discussion civil. There is no need to appear hostile...

You have 0 (zero) feedback on here. Have you even ever sold on here?

Keep the discussion civil. There is no need to appear hostile...

I have 3 sales on here. Sorry my 'buyers' don't know how to use the feedback system.

I have 3 sales on here. Sorry my 'buyers' don't know how to use the feedback system.

My apologies then on that statement. I hate it when they do that (here and on eBay both!).

I look forward to reading Lud’s explanation when he has time to post it. Until then here are some of my responses and answers to Lud’s questions.
Again I'd like to close with the same questions as above:
• Does anyone have concerns other than the fee? What issues would you have if this platform was free?
• Does anyone see value in an automatic escrow service? If so, what do you feel is an appropriate fee structure?
• Does anyone see value in a system where a buyer can make a purchase/payment on the spot and the ad automatically closes?
1. I like the simplicity of the current system. I do not want to have another account to manage.
2. I would need more details before I can answer this question.
3. Maybe.
Please keep the current 30 day bump limit and do not allow people to comment on for sale threads. Prime used to do this and the for sale ads became very long and it was difficult to find the sellers important information.
I am for giving funds to Prime to keep this great resource available to all of us.

While this new system seems to have some merit, I wouldn't fix whats not broken. We have a great for sale section. Works very well.

I don't know who these guys are so i wouldn't give them my CC information. I never trust anyone that doesn't provide a street address on their website especially when they are doing this sort of buisness. I could have missed it but i didn't see anything but phone and email.

Thanks for pointing this out. We will add a snail mail address to the Web site.

Enthusify is a payment card industry data security standard (PCI-DSS) compliant system. The system meets all the strict security requirements required to process credit card transactions. Enthusify must pass a quarterly security assessment to meet the PCI-DSS requirements.

I posted it earlier, in case folks missed it, my number is: 1 (424) 272-0291
I hope you will call if you want to share more feedback.

-Chad Billmyer, co-founder of Enthusify ([email protected])

Please read my next post before replying to any of this.

Escrow is good. I think people underestimate the amount of fraud that takes place on this or any forum - I know people have gotten screwed out of a lot of money, they just don't talk readily because it's embarrassing and frustrating. Anything to help reduce that is a win.

And yes, I'd love a "buy it now" feature - waiting for a PM back and not knowing if you should respond to other postings in the mean time is frustrating.

I do agree that 10% (regardless of gross or net) is a little high for big-ticket stuff like vehicles. On a $60,000 car that's a decent chunk of change.

Thanks for the feedback on the concept of the platform in addition to the fee.

I agree that the fee is too high for big-ticket items and I don't think there is any disagreement on that point. Everyone involved has said the fee structure would be re-evaluated. This is simply intended as beta testing to evaluate the platform.

For a point of reference...

Thanks for posting that analysis. I did something similar when first evaluating it, which made obvious the need for a different fee structure for the big dollar stuff.

Also, I feel the Enthusify fee should be reduced to either 0.5% or 1%. 2% is a bit much when you start adding in other fees, and the 5% NSXPrime fee I think is WAY too much.

We agree it should be reduced in order to reduce the overall fee, and I have stated so repeatedly, going back to phone calls with Chad last year. However I am not the only potential customer and he is not custom-designing a system based on my requests. I hope it will be added as an option in the future.

Beyond that, I guess I am a little disappointed this discussion has gotten to caught up in the fee numbers posted for beta testing which everyone involved has said will be re-evaluated before any sort of go-live.

I would say it is almost unanimous that everyone on here is against this move, as the majority of Primers are well informed.

I would say there has been a strongly negative reaction to the fees, and some mixed response to the actual platform. Overall the response has been no to the current system, but I'm frustrated that people seem to be viewing it as a "take it or leave it" scenario.

The point of this beta is to evaluate the whole thing, provide feedback, and adjust as necessary. Insted of saying "yes" or "no," it would be infinitely more constructive to say what you do or don't like about it, and how you would like to see it changed. For example some people have said they like the listing layout, some have said they do not, and generally they have explained why. That is useful feedback.

I would also agree that the majority of Primers are smart people, and may be well informed in general, but the majority are not well informed about the "behind the scenes" of the existing Marketplace system or the issues surrounding it. This is evidenced by so many people saying it's fine as is, when in fact it is far from fine.

I know the issues so well I probably wrongly assumed more people had at least an idea that things weren't always great, but the responses in this thread suggest that is not the case and I should have communicated that up front. I will attempt to do so in my next post.

I would implore you not to be seduced by the enthusiastic sales pitch that Enthusify has laid upon you.

I wish my life was so intriguing that the phrase "seduced by the enthusiastic sales pitch laid upon you" applied in some way. The reality is much more mundane: Before Enthusify even existed I had talked to Chad about some other stuff. When he started developing Enthusify, he contacted me to get some input since he knew I ran a car forum. I said I'd be interested to see what he came up with. We've traded ideas back and forth for many months during development. I liked the general concept so I agreed to beta test. Also, just to be clear, I have zero financial interest in Enthusify as a company - my only financial tie would be the same as any other site owner who implemented it.

I've made it clear from the very first post in this thread that I was simply going to evaluate it and make a decision afterwords. I see pros and cons to the system as it exists now. Some of the cons would need to be changed before I would go live. Whether those changes will suit Enthusify's business model is up to them. But that's what this thread is for.

I would say at most, advertise for Enthusify and try to get people to use it since it will support Prime and Enthusify, but don't make it mandatory.

I am not sure running two parallel Marketplace systems is a viable long-term solution. It sounds like an administrative/moderation nightmare. I'll keep an open mind if someone wants to champion the idea, but I'd have to see a lot more up-side than I see at first glance.

You may even see a new NSX Forum launch as a reaction to this because you pissed enough people off.

Somewhat unrelated, but I think it would be great if there was more than one popular NSX forum, and have said as much more than once over the years. There are some NSX owners who are not satisfied with the way I run this site for various reasons, and I think it would be best for everyone if they had another popular NSX site to use. My point in starting this site wasn't to dominate anything, it was simply to create the kind of NSX owner site that I, as an owner, wanted to use, since no such site existed at the time. While it isn't ever my goal to piss people off, I accepted a long time ago that you can't run a site like this without pissing some people off sometimes, so I don't really let the fact that I may piss someone off factor too heavily in my decisions.

Yeah, it's fancy looking like a store but the basic text lines of the present marketplace make it easy to navigate because it's one section. We don't have enough items to split them up in the different categories like the example. I would rather not have to click through various pages just to see there is nothing i want.

This is probably situation of "you can't please everybody" because I also hear people complain that the current system has too much stuff jumbled together. I don't know that either system is fundamentally better, it's probably just personal preference and largely depends on whether you generally prefer browsing or only search for specific parts.

Good point. I did some quick looking up:

Registrant:
Interactive Innovation Group, LLC
413 W Channel Rd
Santa Monica, CA 90402
US

It's good to be be careful online, and I always enourage everyone to independently verify, but please also know I didn't get to the point of agreeing to beta test without performing some prior due diligence.

Please read my next post before replying to any of this.

I would be interested in knowing what the reason for considering a move to replace the current marketplace is. Certainly there is a catalyst for this.

Excellent question, voiced in different ways by several people.

I obviously failed to appeciate the huge disconnect between my view of the existing Marketplace system and the general site membership's view of it. This is probably because I deal with the problems all the time, while most people rarely if ever have a problem, and have only a very limited subset of transactions on which to base their view of how well it works.

So what is wrong? Several things. But first and foremost, and all I am going to focus on in this lengthy post, is that a lot of people are getting ripped off. I don't mean just buyer disputes, or someone's description was misleading, or even the occasional flake who took money and didn't deliver. I mean real criminal scams where multiple NSX owners are taken for thousands of dollars each, to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars a pop in some cases.

This type of scam is new on this site within the last few years. The really concerning part is that the rate at which this happens has been increasing quite a bit for the last 1 - 2 years.

The other big issue is stolen / chopped NSXs. I suspect most owners would be shocked to know how many stolen NSXs are being parted out. I never would have expected it for such a low-volume niche car either, but the reality is I've dealt with a LOT of stolen NSXs being parted out, and I know I haven't caught them all. Unlike the other scam, this has been pretty steady over the years with occasional spikes.

It really pisses me off when someone uses my website to scam fellow NSX owners or sell parts from someone's stolen NSX. When I suspect it, I spend a lot of time trying to do something about it. If often takes 10 or 20 hours to thoroughly investigate and piece everything together. I am often sorting through hundreds of emails and PMs, trying to contact dozens of people and keep track of responses from each one, ask anyone who actually sent money a bunch of questions to get a dozen little pieces of info I can piece together to figure out the identify of the person behind it, etc.

The frequency has increased to the point where I'm probably averaging 10 hrs a month now doing all that. Some of them get "busted," but the reality is that property crimes are not a priority for most major metro police departments, and the victims are always far away. Federal law enforcement doesn't really care about most small-time operators.

The good news is that in most cases, by acting quickly I've been able to help a lot of people recover most or all of their money. Sometimes my email asking about their deal with a scammer is the first sign people have that something is awry.

The bad news is twofold: First, some people don't recover all, or even any, of their money for various reasons. Second, this system is simply not sustainable: I don't have the time for what it has beome, and it has only been steadily increasing. I'm not going to continue skipping dinner because someone's ad raised a red flag and when I looked a little closer I didn't like what I saw and so now it's a big project where time is of the essence and if I wait until the next day it may be too late.

There are several other issues with the current Marketplace setup, which I guess I can go into another time if anyone really cares, but none of them are as critial as this one.

Now there are various ways I could try and solve this problem. Here are a few I've thought of, along with the reasons I have dismissed them.

Idea: Charge people to post in the Marketplace. Fatal flaw: A lot of these scammers have control of a legitimate verified PayPal account before they post their scam ads, which is one reason buyers are confident in sending them money. So if they are looking to take thousands of dollars from people, I really do not believe it will deter them to pay whatever nominal fee I could reasonably charge legitimate people to post an ad.

Idea: Require some sort of proof of ownership or identity. Fatal flaw 1: I'm not a government agency so I can't verify the accuracy of info. Maybe the effort of doing it would deter some people but at that point why don't I just have people write an essay. Fatal flaw 2: I don't want to be responsible for securing legitimate people's personal info. Fatal flaw 3: It would be enormously intrusive, and I wouldn't participate in a forum using such a system myself.

Idea: Try to help members protect themselves by publishing tips and strongly encourage people to be more cautious. Fatal flaw: I've tried everything I can think of, from a great "How to Protect Yourself in Marketplace Transactions" document written by another member, to warnings in the rules, to just hoping people would generally become savvier to online scams as more people had more experiene online. Fatal flaw: Despite all that, the rate at which the scams are occuring has steadily increased.

So what I'm looking for is either an idea I haven't had yet, or a way to integrate some level of buyer protection into the system itself. A plugin like Enthusify addresses the integrated protection because it offers two things:

First, as soon as an item is bought, the listing closes. Anyone listing a transmission six times is going to get spotted right away. Major problem solved: No more taking money from half a dozen people for the same fake listing.

Second, it offers a actual escrow service. Through helping people who have been scammed I've learned that there are a lot of holes in relying on PayPal buyer protection as the only safety net for members. An escrow service isn't perfect, but it's probably as good as we can reasonably achieve. It also adds a time buffer so that if I do need to investigate something I have a few days and don't have to put everything else in my life aside with no notice on a monthly basis, which I am not really willing to continue doing as often as I have been for the last year or so.

As someone else said, you don't hear about this stuff much because most people don't go around announcing they got scammed. Unlike a normal buyer/seller dispute, by the time buyers know it's a scam the account has already been banned and they are just trying to get their money back if possible. I haven't gone out of my way to talk about it because it didn't seem to serve much purpose. I'm pretty confident the same is happening on other forums but most admins probably don't see much use in discussing it either, and on the bigger forums it probably isn't even possible to keep up with it. I find more than half of them out because I don't like the way something looks and start investigating - the buyers don't even know they've been scammed unti I contact them. Oh a huge forum with hundreds of classified ad threads active every day there is no way to keep up with it all. This is a completely unintended benefit of the 1-month bump rule on this site; the reduced post activity in the Marketplace makes it easier to keep up with new listings.

I like the potential of Enthusify's platform but as I have said I'd like to see some changes to the fee structure before I'd entirely switch over to it. However I am not married to them, I have just given them some feedback and agreed to install the beta. So if you have an idea for a way to INTEGRATE some useful level of real buyer protection into the classified section - and by that I mean the DEFAULT needs to be that buyers are opted in to protection - I am more than happy to investigate it. Keep in mind that any such service is pretty much guaranteed to cost something because it costs money to provide such a service.

I do not propose that everyone should start paying a fee lightly - I know that ultimately it is coming out of the pockets of the NSX community of which I am a member and in which I have many friends. But I am OK with everyone paying a few extra % if it will greatly reduce a smaller number of people being seriously ripped off. I realize not everyone will agree with this, but I am not going to continue things like they are indefinitely, because while it may work fine for 95% of the time, the other 5% is not acceptable to me. If no acceptable solution exists that will integrate with the forum, I will seriously consider closing the Marketplace entirely until I can find a satisfactory solution to address this problem.

Totally understand the cost operating the site. I have been advocating to other members years ago to donate to Prime annually, but I guess some of us just wanted a free ride and now we come to these fees to maintain the site. Lud needs to do whatever is feasible to keep this site running. As always, not all of is will agree, but "it is what it is I guess."

Lud, thank you for sharing candidly some of the very disturbing scenarios that I am sure many of us had no clue.

While I fully appreciate the "integration" need you raise, could there be in the interim at least another option such as: No seller can post an item until they have been on Prime in good standing for 6 mos and with at least 50 or 100 posts?

One advantage that i see in this is that a "hot" stolen item can't be quickly marketed on Prime until the "new" scammer has spent some 6 mos. The requirement for 50 or 100 (or whatever minimum posts) is more of a "vetting" the new member. Not ideal but still a relatively astute buyer should be able to flush the new vendor/seller.

Lastly, this also makes a policy statement - though not sure if you particularly care - a new seller/vendor/scammer can't benefit from Prime with his first post without having paid their dues as in at least contributed or participated as a member with xx number of posts for y number of months.

Last edited:

I posted this elsewhere, but it's relevant here.

I see three major sources of problems between buyers and sellers on 'Prime:

1. problems with the quality of goods, or how the goods were represented
2. goods simply not shipped
3. items damaged in transit, usually from poor packaging

I understand the desire to improve the experience for buyers, however, I don't think this is the answer.

First, I am dubious about a mandated escrow service providing 7% of gross value (I say 7% because credit card fees reduce the gross from current sales by about 3% anyway). For 7%, I'd expect the company to provide qualified judgement of what constitutes a fairly represented part and I find that hard to believe that this is what will in fact be provided.

For example, let's consider the $3000.00 suspension listed in the prototype example. That is a $300.00 gross cut or $210.00 cut once credit card fees are thrown out. For $210.00, what service is this company providing other than opening the box and looking to make sure that what is in the box looks like the photo online? It seems that the vast majority of complaints I have read about are resulting from issues far more technical than "looking in the box" by an escrow service would offer. Thus, I don't think a service like this will really address issues regarding the quality of a part sold.

Secondly, for parts simply "paid but not shipped" - existing services, like PayPal's buyer protection, already provides adequate protection as the buyer reads and understands the terms of this protection (ie. a complaint must be filed within X days). Perhaps better education for buyers on the site would be a helpful addition to reduce poor buyer experiences.

The last issue, damage resulting from poor packaging, is one that I see most applicable to an escrow company, however, $210.00 (in the example above) is a lot of cost for that service. Again, I think better educating buyers and sellers - including what the expectation should be relating to packaging.

It is my opinion that a service like this should be optional (just as an Amazon.com purchase is). The buyer can provide the option to deal with this service to better assure a seller and qualify his goods for sale, and a buyer can require a seller to use the service as a condition of the sale. There are some periphery issues, including site moderation and alternative income stream to the site, that could also probably be addressed with out this level of cost being incurred by the buyer/seller. As a blanket mandated policy - I think the cost is steep for issues that may not be addressed through an escrow service, and issues that can already be addressed using an existing payment service and education.

-- Chris

While I fully appreciate the "integration" need you raise, could there be in the interim at least another option such as: No seller can post an item until they have been on Prime in good standing for 6 mos and with at least 50 or 100 posts?

This is not a bad suggestion and I thought about doing it at one point, but after thinking it all the way through I don't like it. I should have included it in my idea/flaw list. Here are my issues with it:

95% of people selling who have been here less than 6 months and/or 50 posts are legit, and there are quite a few, especially after people buy a modified car and start putting some stuff back to stock or changing out parts to suit their taste better.

There are also some prolific sellers who have almost no non-sale posts who are legit. Removing them from the site would not really serve the community any better IMO.

One time I joined a computer-related forum that required X posts before you could do much. It really kind of annoyed me that they treated new members that way. I didn't stick around very long.

Also, I have discovered more than one criminal who has operated under multiple user names that were registered many months in advance of listing anything for sale, probably precisely because they realize that brand new accounts listing stuff for sale will naturally raise more eyebrows. Sometimes they have non-Marketplace message posts on the accounts as well. I'm sure if I set a limit of 50, they'd just work up to 50 or 60 and then list their ad.

This isn't to say that the idea couldn't have some positive impact, but I'm not confident it will help very much, and the negatives of blocking the vast majority who are legitimate sellers are not inconsequential IMO. On the other hand, If I can't find a good integrated solution it may be worth a shot before I decide if I'm going to shut it the Marketplace down entirely, because a restriction to post there can't be much worse than not being able to post there at all. So thanks for bringing the idea up, it is good to keep that in mind as I move forward.

Chris, thanks for your well thought out post and concerns. As mentioned, I think the fee schedule needs adjustment. The details of how Enthusify's escrow service works are also important and I"m glad you brought up those questions and hope Chad will address them.

It is my opinion that a service like this should be optional (just as an Amazon.com purchase is).

Regarding this specific suggestion, two years ago I'd have been 100% in agreement with you. But I'm not sure I'm willing to go with an optional service anymore. I'm seeing too many scams and I am to the point where I want to fix it or close it. It doesn't have to be Enthusify, but it has to be something.

I suppose one of the big issues, as Chris hit on, is WHAT exactly do we get out of this? We know what THEY get and we know what NSXPrime gets... It just dosent seem like any real added value to the parties actually completing the transactions over the options we already have...

Totally understand the cost operating the site. I have been advocating to other members years ago to donate to Prime annually, but I guess some of us just wanted a free ride and now we come to these fees to maintain the site.

That's not it at all. Please read my posts...?

I agree with Synth. We contribute to NSXPrime because it's a fabulous resource for us for the business, but also for our customers. We hope our contributions help to sustain the site.

If one of the objectives with implementing this system is alternative income stream (which I fully understand - managing and maintaining a site like this is expensive) I suggest the cost be offset by the vendors who profit from participation on NSXPrime. I know you have mentioned previously how to do this successfully being that we have many "small cottage industry" type businesses. You may want to consider the models of other automotive forum sites - which charge vendors a low "entry level" fee to simply participate, then graduated higher fees for certain benefits - such as banner ads, individual forums being "sponsored" by that vendor, etc.

In addition, as Synth mentions, many sites (s2ki.com comes to mind) allows only paid members to post in the classifieds section. The entry level membership fee is minimal, and well worth the benefit of having a target classifieds audience to sell your items in. I believe this would also provide benefit to NSXPrime not only as another alternative revenue stream - but also as a way of eliminating some of the riff-raff/dishonest sellers.

cheers,
-- Chris

Regarding this specific suggestion, two years ago I'd have been 100% in agreement with you. But I'm not sure I'm willing to go with an optional service anymore. I'm seeing too many scams and I am to the point where I want to fix it or close it. It doesn't have to be Enthusify, but it has to be something.

I understand fully. I think that testing an intermediate solution using some of the suggestions on this thread may help to address a bulk of the problems you've identified. This may include the classifieds section requiring a paid membership and an educational guide for buyers. With time, a paid vendor requirement would also benefit the site as well as cut down on some of the vendor issues.

regards,
-- Chris

I notice that you have been enjoying this site for free since last October and just felt it should be pointed out that there has been a way to donate to prime for quite some time now:

http://www.nsxprime.com/members/member_central.htm

Perhaps you can check out this link, especially since you have enjoyed the free advertising:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160993
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160998

++1.

If your registered as just a "user" under your prime name above your avatar, you a are just that a "USER" getting a free ride on Prime. LOL!

@Lud I understand your main reason for your suggestions for change, but I still think members should contribute to this excellent site.

Here's a perfect example of why change is needed. I get it!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145388

What a shame. I guess I can kiss my $$ bye-bye

Last edited:

Lud, thank you for sharing your insights. You are absolutely correct, many of us had no clue into how prolific scams have become on this site. :eek:

Fee discussion aside, one possible downside to the Enthusify plugin is that users may try to circumvent the system by contacting sellers directly in an attempt to avoid paying fees. If there was a mechanism to prevent this from happening (such as the seller's name/email being masked until a buyer confirms purchase), that might be worth considering. This is one thing that is more pertinent to an online forum site than a pure retailer like eBay or Amazon; I'm sure there are others.

I have no right of speaking but "Never change a winning team" I have bought some stuff from members and never had any problems. I don't see this new idea being a good thing for Prime. Second hand parts will become 10% more expensive wich would be a shame.

If this is all because you need more funds to keep things running well I just became a paying member and threw some $ in the jar... thnx for all your good work. :wink:

I hope others will follow or renew their memberships aswell so we can put this idea behind us asap....:biggrin:

Last edited:

Lud,

reading your post explaining your concearns made me think that your main problem is TIME to deal with the normal operation of this site.

Probably because the traffic is way above what you expected when you first created this community, but for that you need to find members you trust to help you... it never stops to grow and at one point you will need to find help.

This Enthusify thing will only let you breath a little better for a few years, but the TIME issue will surface again, because this community don't stop, grows and demands more from admin.

This Enthusify thing also can be avoided/circumvented... i can't tell you how many times i did it with ebay ads finding a way to contact the sellers privatly and making the transaction off of ebay... for mixed reasons (not important here)

About buyer protection, i think Paypal, with all it's flaws, already does it, and we don't need one more variable in all this. Don't forget that international transactions take a lot more time in shipping than US domestic ones and that 14 days seems too short.

About the scams, i know there are scams hidden in the back, and the vast majority of the victims don't voice in here, probably because they don't want to pass as fools or something, but there always will be, because the scammer always finds a way... it's like hackers, as one good friend of mine once said: in the end it's all 0's and 1's and the security level only moves the WHEN, and don't eliminate the IF.

I was scammed for $350 by a low life from Hawai (scaransx - Daniel Roberts) and paypal couldn't help because 1) i made two payments and one as gift, so i was SOL on that one and 2) he didn't had any money on his account so they couldn't give it to me.

and that was it. no more scams. I don't say i won't ever be scammed again, but my better judgement make me look at all directions before i buy and it has been working for me smoothly.

About limiting the impact of scammers on the marketplace, i find the solution of post a for sale ad only after 6 months paid membership AND after having 100 posts (or other number) a good one... it can be fine tuned with more filtering though.

I don't think Buyers need any extra care, and works fine as it is.

The special care here needs to go to WHO sells and HOW, and discussing it within the community, i'm sure we can find a solution to bring those 95% to 99% or something without needing an outside service.

When i buy something through Prime, and there are fees of any kind, then i want them to go fully to prime, not a third party, because that way i prefer ebay as it is well known and established.

As i said, i'm a member that is willing to contribute directly to Prime, like $100 anually, to keep things in-house. I contributed more than once in the past, so no problem there.

Thanks,
Nuno

Without disclosing "private information" affecting certain members, I wanted to at least post in support of the need for protection against the increasingly frequent scams. Although I have "publicly" assisted some members here I have been "involved" in many more that are not publicized. Needless to say, I share the concerns of our site Admin about our members being scammed and take it as a personal offense since our community is so small and close knit.

In an ideal world business would continue as usual and without the need of an outside service charging fees. But the world is not ideal and as was alluded to the recent uptick in scams with the amounts involved is very troubling and screams out for an attempted solution despite the concomitant resulting fees. As with all aspects of life, those who "play by the rules" necessarily incur the burden of increased costs to protect the group as a whole but such is life.

This is just a beta test and perhaps the fee structure could change. However, the preeminent concern is not the fundraising aspect for Prime but the need to protect the community as a whole. The site does need to have funds raised to offset the ever increasing expense of maintaining it but that would be a "welcome benefit" from switching the marketplace over as opposed to the driving force behind the switch.

Having done some behind the scenes investigative work including interaction with police and other authorities in various locations throughout the country (all of it at no charge to anyone), I know the amount of time and effort that is needed to try to fight scammers and Lud puts in way more than me. Some may have been prevented if our members did their due diligence first but irrespective scams harm the community as a whole. It is unfortunate that action has to be taken at the expense of all to protect that segment getting scammed but something needs to be done and unfortunately it cannot be done for free.

Of course no "wants" to pay fees. However, putting that "given" aside, please consider the other issues giving rise to this prospective change .

I respect your motives and ideals. I made the comment about the seductive sales pitch because this whole idea or product/service sounds very inefficient and illogical, which is what great salesman are always selling. They also like to leverage safety and security :tongue: Even after reading your post and reasoning behind it, I still think Enthusify's services are inefficient and illogical. Even if you had no gain at all and it was at 5%, that is still unacceptable. 3% is the threshold. Paypal knows what they are doing. They have done research and know if that number is anything higher, their volume will change dramatically.

I think ultimately, you will see that this direction is going to hurt the buying process more than it will help it. You may have 99% legitimate transactions vs the 95%, but the ad volume may decrease by over 50% or 100% for this site if you close the marketplace down. That is a heavily unbalanced compromise. If you truly want to protect buyers, then the increased fees are definitely not going to "protect" them. The escrow services will only complicate things and make it even more expensive. More shipping routes/travel and hands that could damage or misplace various items.

You should make it mandatory for ALL marketplace users to list their full name, email and phone number or they cannot list an ad or even view one at all. That was one thing I was surprised to see in the marketplace that many other sites require. That within itself will deter many scammers. If you see someone has posted some faux name or number, DON'T BUY FROM THEM.

It really is up to the buyer to make smarter moves. I would never spend hundreds or thousands of dollars online, until I call and talk to the person selling it. It is much harder for a person to lie in voice than through text. This is when you need to ask, hey is this item stolen or what's the story behind the turbo kit. This goes for anything, even tires from big name companies. I will be on the phone to specify exactly what I need and exactly what I am paying for. Email is too impersonal when it comes to costly items that exceed a typical dinner bill. Why would anyone seemingly hand a large amount money to an account that has no face or even a voice?

Stolen items are going to be hard to spot and I don't see how much a difference a third party like Enthusify could do in this area. They would only delay and hinder the buying process. Some people really want their items ASAP. The 95% are going to suffer, to help the 5% who took a chance sending large sums of money because they assumed and did not verify? I just don't see how this is logical at all. I think you are just tired of being the good guy trying to fix all the issues and it has affected your POV. I would understand if you closed down the marketplace because you have had enough of the issues. Actually I wouldn't care if you chose Enthusify's pitch as-is right now either. There will always be other ways to buy or sell, if one outlet becomes inefficient. I may not ultimately care what you do because I know it would not affect my buying/selling efforts significantly, but like you, I cannot simply ignore it either and would like to help if I can. I think you will find that the 95% are against this move, but it is Your Site.

Just to continue in trying to help. You can make an exclaimed "!" link about scammers like this very thread that is present on every page to educate or inform people to be smarter and safer. Tell buyers to voice their dilemmas and help others. Do not just assume that the buyer is legitimate. Never pay by gift because you want to bypass the 3% insurance unless you are willing to gamble. It is called a gift for a reason and people don't realize the idea of what they are doing. You just gifted this seller some sum of money. It was not a payment for good just because you said it was verbally or by email. Don't be surprised when you yield nothing after "gifting the buyer." Some people unfortunately have to learn the hard way.

I respect your ideal for a 100% target, but there is going to be no such thing in the real world. 5% loss/issues is pretty damn good! It is really unfortunate that you have to deal with the negativity and clean-up, but there must come a time when you have to step back, post the disclaimer and accept it is not your responsibility, especially after you made all the safeguards. You have done your best to prevent and keep the percentage low, but it is not your fault or job to be the detective and help. Just post the information or identity of the scammer so the community will know and even possibly assist in locating or apprehending the scammer. Form a blacklist if need be.

reading your post explaining your concearns made me think that your main problem is TIME to deal with the normal operation of this site.

Actually, the workload with the rest of the site has been pretty steady for about the last six years, and can mostly be attended to at my convenience. They aren't making the car anymore and pretty much everyone is on the Internet now, so it's mostly turnover at this point, not strong growth in membership like during the late '90s and early 2000s. If they produce the new car that may change, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The workload from these scam situations, and the immediacy of action required to provide useful assistance, is the only thing increasing at an unsustainable rate.

Further, while that is something that I can't/won't sustain, it is only my personal problem. The broader community problem is that an increasing number of NSX owners are being scammed on a regular basis, even with my efforts. By definition I can't track down a scammer until they have taken money from at least one person, and usually more than one.

This Enthusify thing also can be avoided/circumvented... i can't tell you how many times i did it with ebay ads finding a way to contact the sellers privatly and making the transaction off of ebay... for mixed reasons (not important here)

Sure. I can't prevent all wrongs. But consider what you are saying - a system where the default is protection and people have to actively work around that, versus what we have now where the default is that most buyers are largely at risk. That is a huge difference.

About buyer protection, i think Paypal, with all it's flaws, already does it, and we don't need one more variable in all this.

...then a few paragraphs later:

I was scammed for $350 by a low life from Hawai (scaransx - Daniel Roberts) and paypal couldn't help because 1) i made two payments and one as gift, so i was SOL on that one and 2) he didn't had any money on his account so they couldn't give it to me.

Your own experience provides the counter-example to the idea that PayPal's protection is sufficient!

This is the first time I have heard of your situation so I'm sorry to hear it happened to you, and glad to hear you were only taken for $350. Many people are being taken for 10 and 20 times that amount. And I can assure you, PayPal protection is not sufficient because a bunch of people have lost substantial money. The exact reasons are varied but you provided a perfect example from your case.

and that was it. no more scams. I don't say i won't ever be scammed again, but my better judgement make me look at all directions before i buy and it has been working for me smoothly.

And I'm sure most of them are more careful the next time too, but that's a hell of an expensive lesson, and I think a better designed system can prevent a lot of them, so I intend to do something about it.

About limiting the impact of scammers on the marketplace, i find the solution of post a for sale ad only after 6 months paid membership AND after having 100 posts (or other number) a good one... it can be fine tuned with more filtering though.

I am extremely skeptical for the reasons I stated. And again I'll use your own experience as a counter-example: I just looked up the account you said ripped you off. Before the ad that resulted in your loss: He had been a member for 2.5 years, had dozens of posts, appears to have been an NSX owner, and even had a 100% positive iTrader rating with 4 previous deals! There is no screen I can implement that is going to keep someone like that out and let legitimate people in. This proposed solution sounds good but just doesn't work in real life, and that is why I've previously dismissed it after looking at the real patterns of abuse and finding it won't really prevent them.

I don't think Buyers need any extra care, and works fine as it is.

I do not agree with the assessment that it works fine as is, and I will not continue to operate it as is. I thought I had made that clear.

I understand fully. I think that testing an intermediate solution using some of the suggestions on this thread may help to address a bulk of the problems you've identified. This may include the classifieds section requiring a paid membership and an educational guide for buyers. With time, a paid vendor requirement would also benefit the site as well as cut down on some of the vendor issues.

regards,
-- Chris

I have not seen any intermediate solutions suggested thus far that I think will help in any meaningful way. I have already done the educational guide and stickied it in all the Marketplace forums, as I explained. I also explained the reason I am extremely skeptical that a paid-to-post system will do much. Please see my discussion of those ideas above.

Frankly the occasional vendor issues are high profile but they are a very small part of the problem. You and some others have argued persuasively that I charge vendors for years now and I have resisted. I may ultimately re-evaluate my position there, but it isn't really related to this issue.

Incidentally, I am not looking to replace the current Vendor forum, just the classified ads. Perhaps that wasn't clear since I keep using the term Marketplace and the vendor section is currently under that heading. At most I might require new vendors to run through the protected system for a while until they establish a track record, but I haven't really given that much thought because first I need to identify a system to put in place, and as I said the reality is that the occasional vendor situations are not the major problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back