• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Beta testing Enthusify as a new Classified Ad platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Beta testing Enthusify as a new Marketplace platform

HIJACKER - you asked:
Can you please elaborate in great detail on these steps? i.e. How do they purchase an item? What funds are deposited, just the asking price, or asking price and shipping, etc? What are the fees calculated off of? How does this work for International transactions, since they can take more than 14 days? How does your escrow services legally protect International buyers? What happens if the buyer reports a problem? Who has the burden of proof? How is a decision made on who is right or wrong? Etc...

HIJACKER asks: How do they purchase an item?
Answer: Head into the marketplace > click on one of the 'example listings' > click 'Buy Now!' > you will notice that you can use a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover (or international equivalent) to purchase an item.

HIJACKER asks: What funds are deposited, just the asking price, or asking price and shipping, etc?
Answer: The total (asking price + shipping) are charged to the buyer's card. The funds deposit to Enthusify. (NOTE: Additional selling formats are on our product roadmap. i.e. auction, group buy, OBO)

HIJACKER asks: What are the fees calculated off of?
Answer: The total (asking price + shipping)

HIJACKER asks: How does this work for International transactions, since they can take more than 14 days?
Answer: At present, international transactions are not treated any differently than domestic transactions. We ran some alpha tests with sites, buyers, and sellers. 13% of those tests were international.

HIJACKER asks: How does your escrow services legally protect International buyers?
Answer: The buyer puts payment in Enthusify's custody. Enthusify retains custody until the occurrence of a condition - in this case the passage of 14 days in absence of a dispute issued by the buyer.

HIJACKER asks: What happens if the buyer reports a problem? Who has the burden of proof? How is a decision made on who is right or wrong?
Answer: We have illustrated the handling of problems reported by a buyer in the table found in section 11 of this page: http://enthusify.com/terms

Hi,

HIJACKER asks: How does this work for International transactions, since they can take more than 14 days?
Answer: At present, international transactions are not treated any differently than domestic transactions. We ran some alpha tests with sites, buyers, and sellers. 13% of those tests were international.

HIJACKER asks: How does your escrow services legally protect International buyers?
Answer: The buyer puts payment in Enthusify's custody. Enthusify retains custody until the occurrence of a condition - in this case the passage of 14 days in absence of a dispute issued by the buyer.
Lud, as you said, this should be addressed and redefined... as an international buyer, this is unacceptable.... even paypal gives 45 day timeline for seller/buyer to complain.

This is not an improvement.

Chad, about the payment methods, do you accept paypal also?

Thanks,
Nuno

PS - i will explore the new interface in the next couple of days so i can comment on it.

Chad, about the payment methods, do you accept paypal also?

At present we don't accept PayPal as a form of payment. We do plan to add that.

Nuno - thanks for expressing concern about the international time period. We will look into ways to identify international transactions.

Hi,

just doing a quick post of an item for sale i came up with 2 things:

- too many sub-categorys, but i guess this is highly customizable

- since this mainly for used parts, the retail price is a little deceiving:

i simulated a sale of a OEM headunit and it asked the price i wanted, $250, and the retail price, like $4000 new from Honda. then when i continued to the preview the retail price appears in red, striked, below the asking price and in green appears a saving of $3750. I think that for used parts this should be hidden

Nuno

One enhancement we have envisioned, but not yet implemented, is a feature that would allow a forum admin to set different marketplace rules for different "vBulletin user groups." (NSXPrime.com Champion, Charter Platinum, Charter Hero, Charter Patron, Registered User...) That feature is a high priority on our product roadmap. It sounds like that feature would allow NSXPrime to not impose an undue burden on loyal, long term members known to the community.

just doing a quick post of an item for sale i came up with 2 things:
- too many sub-categorys, but i guess this is highly customizable
- since this mainly for used parts, the retail price is a little deceiving:
i simulated a sale of a OEM headunit and it asked the price i wanted, $250, and the retail price, like $4000 new from Honda. then when i continued to the preview the retail price appears in red, striked, below the asking price and in green appears a saving of $3750. I think that for used parts this should be hidden

Nuno - Thanks for taking it for a test drive.

Yes - the categories and sub categories are customizable.
The 'retail asking price' field is optional. You can leave it blank in the case that it doesn't add value to the listing. In our alpha tests, we found that it was not uncommon for a seller to have a lightly used or unopened item for sale that he recently purchased. Sellers wanted a way to quickly convey the 'deal' they were offering compared to the price they recently paid.

Thanks again for giving the system a try.

High on my wish list is the ability to use my bank account to fund purchases rather than a credit card or another third party. That automatically reduces the fee by up to 3%. Since there is built in protection via escrow, I don't need the protection that credit cards or PayPal offer.

I tried searching for items for sale and the buttons are misplaced when using IE7.0

High on my wish list is the ability to use my bank account to fund purchases rather than a credit card or another third party. That automatically reduces the fee by up to 3%. Since there is built in protection via escrow, I don't need the protection that credit cards or PayPal offer.

Cool. Helpful input. I just added it to the roadmap. https://enthusify.uservoice.com/forums/163512-product-roadmap

Thinking of ways to improve the safety of the current marketplace......

1. If you want to sell an item, you need to have a certain amount of posts and days on the forum. For example, On another high volume forum, the criteria is: 90 days, 500 posts, or Premier Membership.

2. Each for sale ad should include an actual picture of the item along with a note stating date/forum. For example: http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/ace32x/brakes.jpg

3. Maybe add a few more moderators in the classifieds and have each thread approved prior to posting.

Thinking of ways to improve the safety of the current marketplace......

1. If you want to sell an item, you need to have a certain amount of posts and days on the forum. For example, On another high volume forum, the criteria is: 90 days, 500 posts, or Premier Membership.

2. Each for sale ad should include an actual picture of the item along with a note stating date/forum. For example: http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/ace32x/brakes.jpg

3. Maybe add a few more moderators in the classifieds and have each thread approved prior to posting.

I will ad that #2, is something that has been done on forums I've frequented in the past and has DRASTICALLY reduced fraudulent sales. Not only does it GUARANTEE the seller actually has the item in hand, it also provides that ever so important PHOTO that is crucial for online sales to be successful. I highly support this approach.

I just feel other options exist, and until those are completely exhausted, we should not travel down a path of increased fees.

HIJACKER asks: What happens if the buyer reports a problem? Who has the burden of proof? How is a decision made on who is right or wrong?
Answer: We have illustrated the handling of problems reported by a buyer in the table found in section 11 of this page: http://enthusify.com/terms

No offense, but your font choice on the website is horrible and less than professional. Can you use something else or post a PDF version of this page in a standard typical font?

I specifically have concerns with the "Item not as-described or damaged" section. If the item is described clearly, with any possible damage from being used, and noted that its sold "as-is", they still reserve the ability to dispute and send back, in which case the seller is screwed out of the shipping costs plus any fees. That's not fair at all.

Also, how do you guarantee that they actually send it back? Do you require them to provide proof of return before a refund is issued? Explain this in more detail please.

I will ad that #2, is something that has been done on forums I've frequented in the past and has DRASTICALLY reduced fraudulent sales. Not only does it GUARANTEE the seller actually has the item in hand, it also provides that ever so important PHOTO that is crucial for online sales to be successful.

A photo does not "GUARANTEE" anything. There are photos online for virtually anything and everything you can think of and even with copyright protection on certain accounts these photos can be lifted and represented as your own. Plus, they can always be photoshopped "enough" to alter its look from a possibly "known" photo and the EXIF can be "washed" to avoid showing it was taken long ago.

The lack of photo hinders the seller's ability to unload the item but the addition of the photo may spur interest but certainly has zero effect on fraud being attempted by anyone with even the most basic knowledge of surfing for images photoshop abilities.

Here is a photo of an exhaust "I am selling". Do you think it is my exhaust? Can you tell me if you think it is not, whose is it and when was the photo taken?

i-tznK8px-XL.jpg

What the!.my exhaust is missing.............I'm with Bob ,photos mean nothing.

Hi,

Here is a photo of an exhaust "I am selling". Do you think it is my exhaust? Can you tell me if you think it is not, whose is it and when was the photo taken?

i-tznK8px-XL.jpg
Bob, maybe it was not clear, but what i understood was that the seller name and date should be written in a paper next to the part itself when the photo is taken, not digitally written into the JPG. It's hard to credible photoshop a written piece of paper into an existing photo.

EDIT: just you can compare your photo with what Hijacker used, here is the link again: http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/ace32x/brakes.jpg

Thanks,
Nuno

Last edited:

Hi,

Bob, maybe it was not clear, but what i understood was that the seller name and date should be written in a paper next to the part itself when the photo is taken, not digitally written into the JPG. It's hard to credible photoshop a written piece of paper into an existing photo.
Thanks,
Nuno

Actually it is not that difficult. I don't have my equipment with me in the office but I wish I did so I can do a quickie photo to show it is possible.

Actually it is not that difficult. I don't have my equipment with me in the office but I wish I did so I can do a quickie photo to show it is possible.

Almost everything can be faked but if we can combine some of the ideas presented here maybe we can minimize the amount of scams to relatively low level that will allow us to stay away from dealing with Enthusify.

Lud, why don't we try what synth19 proposed (apparently the system seems to be working on other sites) for a month or two and if you still have too much of this crap to deal with we will then swich over to Enthusify.

Last edited:

Bob, i didn't said it was impossible, i said it would be hard to credibly do it.

Virtually all the scammed transactions had a name, phone number, email and even a "valid" paypal account. Requiring someone to list that to post an ad provides no true protection. Every Nigerian scammer has a phone, email, name and snail mail address.

And do you really think it is harder to "lie in voice" than in texts or emails? Scammers are very good at what they do and most are very proficient at conning you on the phone and even in person just as well as through emails.

There is a blacklist and it continues to grow at at alarming rate. Very few here even know the existence of many of them since they are stopped and blocked very early by observant members reporting and flagging suspicious posts.

These scams work because many do not do their due diligence but also because they are good at creating identities that at first blush appear to be legit. However, do you honestly think that if you ask a seller if the item is stolen you will get a true answer if it has been stolen?

I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but it would be a cold day in hell before I would fall for a Nigerian or any scam that involved more than $50. I would still be upset if I loss $50, but that is not be enough for me to lose sleep over. I would initiate the dispute on paypal and if I get my money back in 45 days, sweet. If not, o well, I tried and $50 is a horrible dinner date. I honestly don't see how hard it is to detect something is off when talking to the seller over the phone for longer than a minute or two. It could just be me though, but you said yourself that if you do your due diligence, it would not happen. Another thing is buying cars completely online without seeing it in person. For a 1-2 grand car, sure, but an NSX? Don't be silly.

Anyone buying a 20 year old car for $20-$30K or twice that amount if it 10 years newer should know better than to frivolously throw their money around. I agree if the seller does ship the item(s) and it is not as described/pictured or it may end up being a stolen, then those are harder issues to avoid and will provide a headache. However, these things rarely happen and I fortunately have not had that occur yet. The scams where people are running off with money, that just seems really dubious, but then again, holding a lot of money in the bank does not naturally make you a smarter person.

It is a shame that the other trivial threads have a priority over some underlying, but real issues. I think a solution will be found that is better than Enthusify's currently proposed plan. I respect this site's concern for protecting the consumer, but it really is getting to the point of ridiculous as far as considering a radical solution IMO, but I can understand the stress that has lead to this point.

OK, time for phase two of this thread.

I feel at this point I've made my position clear: Either I will find a way to make the classified section safer, or I will close it. The "buyer beware" approach was generally OK for years, but the environment has changed so it is no longer personally acceptable to me to operate that way. I'm not going to argue it back and forth.

Please use the rest of this thread to evaluate the Enthusify platform and make suggestions as to how it can be improved to possibly solve this problem in a useful way, or present alternatives I can integrate into the website somehow.

For example, the comments about the escrow period for international transactions and the other questions people are asking about the details of the escrow / dispute process are great. THAT kind of stuff is the point of this thread!

My hope is that the Enthusify platform can help, so do me a favor and let's see if this solution can work for us with more good questions and requests for changes / features / fee modifications. If not, let's move on to try and identify another candidate.

I think you feel the landslide of an opposition to the proposed radical change, and your values ultimately will lead you to the better choice. As far as Enthusify, it still hinders the process because it will be hard to make it efficient and I use this term as the idea where a compromise can be met with maximum results for all parties. If most sellers are only occasional sellers, they would like to get their money ASAP also.

-14 days would be the ideal limit for that wait, but there should be options for quicker release if the buyer receives the item sooner and confirms the delivery. This will also entice the seller to ship fast. International waiting periods may need special consideration.

-Enthusify should also CALL the buyer and not just email for quick verification at the 14 day mark. This may make it harder on the company to do, but I find it impersonal that a little email is all that stands between the seller and their money. Some people are horrible at replying to emails and I could see a few buyers screwing around with that aspect intentionally or unintentionally.

-If bank accounts can be used to avoid the 3% credit card fee and only 2-3% fees for Prime and Enthusify are accumulated, that is perfectly acceptable then. I would probably use the system then if it becomes a reality. I suppose I can wait an extra few days for the funds to clear before the buyer ships it out. That was the only appeal of using credit cards to pay instantly.

-Also not charging the fee to shipping charges could also be very attractive. I would go the extra mark and provide receipt copies to verify how much I paid for shipping to get that discount.

The talks of 10% or even 5% fees are absurd. I would not pay someone that much to hold money for me when there are better alternatives and I believe almost everyone agrees with me there. Paypal essentially does the same thing but with a different process and I have not had an issue with them yet over the many years I've been using them.

It seems that Enthusify would come in handy for more expensive items that have a high risk if they are stolen or are not as described/pictured. However, the talks of higher fees for the more expensive items are going to be very unattractive. People bite their lip now with the 3% when things get expensive. Perhaps you could implement a way to only mandate these transactions if the selling price is more than $xxx amount. I see many of the times though, used parts go for $50-$100 more or less. Some people just want to get rid of $20-$30 items quickly. I don't think it would be worthwhile to impose the process for such lower priced items.

Hi,

Almost everything can be faked but if we can combine some of the ideas presented here maybe we can minimize the amount of scams to relatively low level that will allow us to stay away from dealing with Enthusify.

Lud, why don't we try what synth19 proposed (apparently the system seems to be working on other sites) for a month or two and if you still have too much of this crap to deal with we will then swich over to Enthusify.

i agree... one suggestion alone have flaws, but 3 or 4 of them together makes it a lot harder to circunvent, not impossible as nothing is these days.

I think that for Lud to see the impact of this implementation, 1 or 2 months wouldn't be enough, but he knows better.

I concur. Let's try the smaller changes proposed with mandated member post numbers, pictures, full names and phone numbers. I think 20-30 post should be sufficient though. I generally always look at post history before I buy an item from a member. If they are brand new members, I would be extremely cautious. Not all members do that, so let's automatically do that for them.

I concur. Let's try the smaller changes proposed with mandated member post numbers, pictures, full names and phone numbers. I think 20-30 post should be sufficient though. I generally always look at post history before I buy an item from a member. If they are brand new members, I would be extremely cautious. Not all members do that, so let's automatically do that for them.

As a vendor who obviously benefits from the site, why are you not more than just a registered user? I think that it is up to Lud to decide how to best proceed after all without him we wouldn't have the sandbox

-14 days would be the ideal limit for that wait...
-Enthusify should also CALL the buyer...
-If bank accounts can be used...
-Also not charging the fee to shipping charges...

Thank you for this pointed, constructive feedback. It is really helpful.

Based on input from other marketplaces, we included shipping for the fee calculation. In absence of doing so, we are told that sellers start unnecessarily gaming the system and shifting the selling price into the shipping fees. An earlier version of our software isolated fees to the selling price. Many mentors and forum partners suggested the current set up based on their experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back