• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Beware of PSE Superchargers!!

I had to have my CTSC rebuilt because of bearing issues so i called Comptech and spoke with Nate. He told me to call Ed at PSE Superchargers because thats who they have used in the past. I call the owner Ed and he tells me they have a fast turn around time and to go ahead and send it in. I ship it out 2 days later and dont here anything from them after it arrived. I call 2 days after it was recieved and Ed tells me they cant look at it for 7-10 days. I get a call from him 8 days later and he tells me it needs bearings and that the gears are worn in the rotorpack so he cant warranty his work unless i replace it. Strange since my SC only has 10k of use on it. I now know he assumed since the age of it (whipple) is why he tried that. He told me he can machine out my case and put larger rotors in (Lysholm 1600) that has larger bearings and flows better at a cost of $1300 plus my rebuild of $700. I agree since i want a warranty and already have spent alot and want it running well. He tells me he can complete the job in a week. I get a call a week later from him telling its complete and ready to ship but he needs to have me sign a form to charge my CC. This form states he wont refund any money back for any reason and will only warranty his work. I felt very uncomfortable with this but he wouldnt send it to me without it. So now 4 weeks later i get my supercharger back and it shows up like this
582465_10151155600377306_1318155001_n.jpg

534299_10151155600962306_715164477_n.jpg

No even a peice of tape holding the box shut and the box was trashed. It was packed with cardboard. Very scary and if you read PSE website they say how important it is to properly pack the SC for shipment. I open the box and i find this inside
581227_10151155593922306_704018490_n.jpg

This is my old rotorpack and if you notice the scoring that was from when the bearing blew. So i call Ed and he swears he replaced it and tried every excuse in the book that it was different. He soon realized after i explained to him that i have a degree in marine mechanics and im not stupid when it comes to this stuff. He then says he sent me the wrong SC and i explain to him my SC has a serial # and its the same one :rolleyes: Basically he charged me $1300 and didnt replace the rotorpack thinking i wouldnt know and obviously my gears are fine. I tell him just refund me for the rotorpack and he refuses. He says he doesnt believe me and i need to send it back to him. He told me it was a mistake and he will fix it. I told him i will take my chances and pay just for the rebuild and since he never machined the case and he still hase the rotorpack to refund me. He refuses again and tells me i have to send it to him and starts yelling at me. I explained to Ed how could you not walk into your shop and see the rotorpack is on your shelf and not in my SC? I also said i have pictures to prove it and why would he send me a scored rotorpack? He cant give me any straight answers. So i called my CC company and had the charge reversed on the rotorpack and i almost forgot to add he charged me 4% to cover his packaging and CC fees which he never mantioned in my quote:rolleyes: This is the 1st time i have ever had to reverse charges in my life. I even let him keep the 4% and taxes of the total which originally was $2,064. His no refund form is invalid since he charged me for something i didnt even receive. He claims he owns a multi million company and he would never do such a thing. I told him that box he shipped to me and stealing $1300 form me is a sign that his company is closing its doors. After 5 weeks i have my car back up and running again :smile:

Last edited:
dude, this sucks.

So did you ever get a chance to put a new rotor pack in there?
No i didnt. Im leaving it as is. I really dont think i needed it. The guy was trying to screw me. There is no way the gears would wear that bad in 10k of use. When i bought this car the supercharger had only 6k of use on it and it had been on the car 6 years. The oil was clean in it and even when the bearing went bad and i drained the oil it didnt have very much shavings in it at all. The reason why i agreed to it was i wanted a warranty and at the time i for some reason was trusting this guys judgement. He has been around 19 years and im sure knows 10x what i do. If this charger lets go i plan on buying an SOS replacement compressor.

Agreed! From my experience with other SCs its usually the snout bearings that go first and usually no less than 50k miles. I have over 100k on my trd Magnusson blower and its still going strong. You'll have plenty of years/miles on that blower left.

That is bullshit. Sorry that happened to you. For sure call the bbb.

Glad to hear you are back up and running.

I had to have my CTSC rebuilt because of bearing issues so i called Comptech and spoke with Nate.

I assume you called Nate and told him that Ed tried to pull a fast one on you.

Some folks just aint right...

I assume you called Nate and told him that Ed tried to pull a fast one on you.

Some folks just aint right...

Yes let Nate know what happened.

The bearing getting ruined was my fault. I'm running a smaller pulley and had too much tension on it. It was an expensive lesson and now i know. I tried calling Nate on Friday and will call again. All the back and forth with Ed at PSE is way too much to type but i can tell you everything he told me was a lie and the fact he insisted on signing a form before sending my unit back was a red flag. I can only imagine how many times they have taken advantage of people. I do most of my work on my car. Imagine if like most the Supercharger was sent back and you have your mechanic install it and nobody would know. I lost a few nights of sleep over this and really disapointed that he tried to do this to me. I took the Nsx out to its 1st autocross today and it ran fantastic :smile:. Slower than my S2000 though:wink:

Almost same thing happened to me in the summer of 2010. At Shad's (driving Ambition) recommendation,I sent my old Whipple to PSE for a rebuild only because it had started getting very noisy at iddle and already had 40k miles. Same thing, no reciept acknowledgement, late and slow inspection and finally a phone call telling me I need a new supercharger because mine was worne beyond repair. Since my boost and HP were just fine, i called Shad who advised me to just have it shipped back. I did and decided to reinstall it with a good throttle body cleanup and a fill with the new GM sc oil. everything came out fine, no excessive idle noise and good power for 10k miles since.

Hello everyone. This is Ed Martinez of PSE Superchargers. I just received notification of this public bashing of my company from one of our long-time customers in the NSX community.

First off I would like to address the customer known as Blacknot. I certainly apologize that you feel that your experience was not what you expected.

I do understand by reading this thread that your supercharger is working fine and we are very glad to hear about that but on the other hand we would expect nothing less. If my company were such a bad company you certainly would hear about it from numerous complaints on the Internet. Keep in mind that PSE Superchargers remanufacturer's approximately 800 superchargers each year. Our referrals come from Whipple Industries, Kenny Bell, Opcon, Roush, Ford racing, Edelbrock, etc. If we were ever performing poor or unsatisfactory work the Internet would be full of complaints. I will tell you that the only complaint that we get is that we can't get the work done fast enough. This is because when a job comes in there may be additional work or special order parts required that increase the service time. As you would understand, this is something beyond our control. When a customer calls us, we try to give them the most accurate information that we can. Of course this is information that is given to them at the time they called us.

We never actually know when the superchargers going to arrive or what our workload is on that exact day. I may speak to a customer and tell them currently we are only three days out. But the next following day we could receive a shipment from Ford Motor Company, General Motors, or one of our distributors. Superchargers come in by the pallets and sometimes we are not always aware of the arrival dates. In your situation superchargers that had arrived in front of yours may have required additional work which moves back the date that your supercharger can actually be worked on. Every supercharger gets the greatest of detail and attention when it arrives until it leaves. This is one of the reasons why our workload is so high. Finding really good technicians that are anal like me is very hard to come by. If you were an employer of a small business, you would know exactly what I'm talking about.

You indicated to us that you knew your supercharger had a bad bearing in the front nose area. I did take the time to explain to you what actually takes place inside supercharger when this occurs. Your supercharger is lubricated by approximately 6 1/2 ounces of 50 weight synthetic engine oil. This oil lubricates all of the bearings in the nose drive, your gears and 2 bearings that are right behind your gears that support your rotors. When a bearing fails many things take place during the failure. Typically, the chrome that is on the ball bearings itself will start to flake. As the remaining balls in the bearing continue to rotate inside of the bearing race, they will run over this chrome flake and crush it. That small flake then gets broke down into tiny particles. As this process continues, the beraing continues to fail and more chrome comes off the balls causing accelerated failure. The oil that is lubricating supercharger now has fine metallic particles of chrome that is now circulating around contaminating all of the bearings inside of the supercharger and gears. Your oil instantly turns into an abrasive and will cause extreme wear on all the parts inside including your gears. When you supercharger was examined your gears were very damaged because of the abrasive there was in your oil. Most of this abrasive is metal and will eventually settle to the bottom of the gear cover housing. When you check the oil in the supercharger the dipstick is suspended up the bottom floor of the gear cover housing. Therefore, when you pulled the dipstick out the oil may appear to be clean.

It doesn't matter how many miles you have a supercharger. If the tensioner is not adjusted properly or the belt is way too tight. You can overheat the bearing and cause failure immediately. You may comment in regard to me not warranting your supercharger unless the rotor pack was replaced. That's exactly right, I'm not a warranty anything unless it's repaired perfectly. You make mention that I could machine out your case. We do not and never have machine any rotor cases. In some instances where the rotor may have lightly contacted the housing, we can polish this area using several methods. We do this to keep the cost down of repairing your supercharger. The gears that were in your supercharger are obsolete. They have not made those gears since 2005 therefore the only option that we have is to put an updated rotor pack in your supercharger. Yes the bearings are larger and better but the rotor profile has not changed and therefore there is no improvement flow and I don't know where you got that from.

All of the rotor packs come from Sweden at the Lyshlom factory at a cost of $1175 as it indicates on your invoice. Keep in mind that there are duties in custom fees that must be paid when you import product from another country. Your thread also indicates that you were not alerted of our credit card authorization form until after your supercharger work was completed. This is not true. We give all of our customers the credit card authorization form at the same time that we charge their credit card. In your scenario you did not return the credit card authorization form. Before any supercharger leaves PSE an additional check is performed to make sure that all of the required paperwork and documentation is in place. We contacted you and remind you that we have not received your authorization form. I believe you did not discover this form in your e-mail until we have brought to your attention.

For the past 20 years we have run into an occasional stolen credit card or unauthorized credit card. Again ask any business owner and they will tell you this happens from time to time. To help protect the company and our customers, we require all credit card users to sign our credit card authorization form. This form protects our company against fraud or theft of a stolen credit card. Most bad guys know that if you forge someone's name on a credit card documentation is a felony offense. A bad guy that is trying to use a stolen credit card will not sign our form. We are trying to protect our customers as most of our sales range between $800 and $5000. I am sure you as the customer would not like to see $2500 missing from your credit card account and then go through all the work and time it takes to try to get your money back proving your innocence.

After reviewing your pictures that you had sent me prior to finding them on this post I informed you that this packaging is completely unacceptable. I also informed you that our normal shipping clerk was out sick and that a new employee trying to help out did this. He did not know how to work our insta-pack foam packing machine. That employee was reprimanded and not allowed in the shipping department ever again. Yes, the packing inside is ridiculous but my concern was if your supercharger arrived safely regardless of the packing. In regards to the scratch on your new rotor I had already addressed this to you of what happened but you persisted to continue to argue with me and yep I got frustrated.

What I can't stand is ever being accused of ripping somebody off. I give away more free work to help people going through a tough time. You just would not accept my answer and you choose to go to the Internet in an attempt to bash me. I surely explained to you that we made a mistake and I apologized. But apparently for you that wasn't good enough. I had already informed you that the reason why the new rotor has a scratch on the tip, the same as your old rotor, is because there was a spot on your housing that had a slight blemish from the factory. That blemish was not discovered until after the new rotor pack was installed and then rotated by our technician. It scratched the new rotor just like it did your old rotor in the exact same place. The new rotor pack was removed, the blemish in the housing was polished, the rotor tip where the hard anodized scratched off was sanded smooth, and the rotor pack reinstall.

Something else to consider, your old rotors were of a different generation any anodized is much darker. If you did take a close a look at your supercharger before you shipped it you would've noticed this. You also indicated that the scratch occurred when you're bearing blew. You're bearing did not blow that is holding the rotors of place. There were only contaminated with bearing media. If you're bearing in the bearing plate had total failure, you wouldn't have anything left of that rotor or its little friend right next to it. In your thread you also indicate that I told you we sent you the wrong supercharger. That is not true.

When I first spoke to you, you indicated that you did not receive the right supercharger. I replied to you that you must've gotten the wrong supercharger and I would look into finding out what happened. The serial number on your bearing plate is the exact same number because it is the exact same plate. This is your plate. You received a new rotor pack. Consisting of brand-new rotors, brand-new bearings and seals, brand-new gears, brand-new sync hub. We always reuse your housing, plate, gear cover and drive extension. I informed you that if you had any concerns with the supercharger that you can return it and we would examine it for any problems.

You wanted me to give you $1300 back without sending me the supercharger. You got to be kidding me. Do you think anybody really would do that? Some people get their supercharger and try to rip me off by saying something is wrong because they really can't afford to work anyway or their credit card bill came in and they can afford to pay it. The credit card company gave you your money back because of a lie you told them. My credit card company informed me that they were going to give you your money because you were a pain in the a**but not take any money from my account. My credit card processing company, intuit merchant solutions, informed for me that in the past 10 years they had only had two people try to charge back my account. You and some other Bozo that was also trying to get something for free.

As for B boxer this was a supercharger sent to us by our good customers Shad of Driving Ambition. The supercharger came in for a remanufacture due to a noise concern. The supercharger was completely disassembled, sanitized and inspected. When we disassemble a supercharger the bearings are pressed out of the bearing plate. These bearings then get discarded because when you apply pressure on the inside bearing race of the bearing to remove it from its plate, the bearing usually becomes dimpled. Of course this all depends on how much pressure you have to apply to get bearing out. Here at PSE Superchargers we never chance it. The bearing cannot be used again to our standards. If you had declined your supercharger service and you were a customer of Shad's, we put your supercharger back together with new bearings in the bearing plate and nose drive, sanitized all of your components and reassembled your supercharger. This is why you had been driving it without any problems or excesses noise.

B boxer probably got charged in inspection fee and from that inspection fee we actually take a loss because we did replace the bearings in the supercharger. Many superchargers that we receive could get by with just a couple of bearings. We just don't do not. We do the whole job, do it right or don't do anything at all. When we make a recommendation, it's not just to make money for the company. It's because we see things that are potential problems or failures getting ready to happen.

By the way Blacknot, you mention about our doors closing. They did, that our old location. We've opened a brand-new doors in our brand-new location at 418 Enterprise Dr. This building is 2000 ft.² larger to accommodate our ever-growing demand for the highest quality supercharger remanufacturing in the world.

Thank you.

Ed Martinez.

Berzerk,
I have been facing that,problem since 2010. My old style CT Whipple is mated to a one-piece manifold. If you have talked to Nate, you should know by now that to use the 1600AX or other Whipple/Lysholm SC, you need to buy a new manifold for about $1600. My unit still works but rattles a lot at idle and does not seem to build more than 4.5psi with a good belt and seemingly no leaks. It has over 70K miles. PSE has been a disaster to deal with and i am not the only Primer with bad experience. I have recently discovered a new (to me) SC rebuild guy in Idaho. I may take the risk and park the car while he,looks at my SC. I am hoping he will be more honest than PSE. I would like to stay with a 1600 and keep the same old fashioned by reliable fuel system. I would be perfectly happy with 350+RWHP at 6.5psi.
PM me if you want to hear more.

It does appear that it is true I will now need a new manifold. I have definitely considered your guys' thoughts and experiences when it comes to PSE, and am more likely to just go with a brand new setup for future serviceability as opposed to investing in the older technology AND taking a risk with PSE. I definitely appreciate the help, and will keep this thread up to date with any additional info that may be useful for future reference as well. Thanks!

-Dan

As some of you may know and as expressed in an earlier thread about supercharger rebuilds, I have struggled for about 2 years now, with what to do with an aging Whipple from my CTSC setup. My kit has about 75K miles on it and has in recent years become extremely noisy (rattley) at idle. Back in 2011, I took it off and sent it to a company in Oklahoma that claimed they did rebuilds for a living. like some of you, the experience was bad. It took a couple of weeks just to have them acknowledge receipt of my unit; another 2 weeks to give me an assessment, only to tell me my unit was beyond repairs and offered to sell me a replacement (newer (1600AX) and modify my my manifold for a total cost of about $3K+. I called Shad who had recommended them and he promptly asked me to have it sent back untouched. And that is what it was when it got back: Untouched ! they had not open-end it up for a true evaluation; and I had physical proof of that ! I re-installed it, cleaned the TB for a smoother idle and filled it with GM/Delco SC oil which I was told was a little thicker. It worked enough for me to go to NSXPO and put an another 15K noisy miles since.

I recently, and by accident found a company in Idaho that sells rebuilt units and also rebuilds customers' units. They claimed they were familiar with all types of SC's and had done many Whipples. I talked to the owner and liked his attitude and apparent honesty. I took the Whipple off myself and shipped it to them on 10/21. I received calls almost every day starting 10/24 to give me updates and estimates. I was told there was nothing drastically wrong with my unit, certainly not the "worn out" impellers that the first company had informed me of. I authorized the work and received the unit back (with all removed parts) on 11/11. I installed it this past weekend with freshened injectors and I couldn't be happier. The unit is totally silent and smooth and builds the full 6 pounds of boost. I even had them powder-coat the casing.

I got a good education in SC units and how they behave with time. The cost was a fraction of the earlier bad experience; very reasonable.
You can PM me and I will be glad to give you my phone number for a detailed first hand account of my experience.
I'm really glad to hear this. You know my story of the nightmare I encountered. I was recently contacted by the owner and asked to remove my thread since it was killing his business since when you google search it my thread comes up. I hope to never have to rebuild mine again but will be sure to contact these people you have found

After reading this, I wouldn't send them my SC even if they offered to do it for free.

I'm really glad to hear this. You know my story of the nightmare I encountered. I was recently contacted by the owner and asked to remove my thread since it was killing his business since when you google search it my thread comes up. I hope to never have to rebuild mine again but will be sure to contact these people you have found

Maybe he should have thought of that before he tried to rip you off. He shouldn't be in business.

Who the heck is bad mouthing me. Stop talking crap a bought things you know nothing about. PSE Superchargers Is the BEST and HONEST supercharger remanufacture in the world. You boneheads haven't a clue what it is like running a company with 13 employees and one of them make a mistake. I remanufacture 1000 superchargers a year for All OE and aftermarket and they are all perfect. Mistakes happen with ALL company's. You talk as if I screw people. I haven't rebuilt a supercharger with my hands since 2004. Your to stupid to look at the website and see all the employees working. If a mistake happens, and they do, we correct it and someone gets fired. I care for all of my costumers, Even the spoiled, whinee ones. You think I am a one-man-band working out of my garage? Never make a stupid commit about ANY company until you visit the owner or manager in person, see the facility, and understand the circumstances. Otherwise you look like an ass. bboxer, who the heck are you? "PSE has been a disaster to deal with and I am not the only Primer with bad experience" Disaster?? We are not even sure you were ever a paying customer! In Fact, Our records show you sent in your 1600A for bearing noise. We broke it down, cleaned everything and recommended a reman, updating the rotor pack and gears. You declined the work because of the cost. As a courtesy we put your supercharger together with 2 new and 2 perfect used bearing and a seal to help you out. Show every one your invoice. Didn't you pay for an inspection and shipping? Your supercharger is running today because we through you a bone. Your mad because we recommend an upgrade? Big Disaster, sure. You are one of those bonehead that chime in just to be an thread Queen. If anyone has any problem with anything, call me like a man with a valid concern and I will address it immediately. I will not tolerate morons bashing my company for any reason.

Ed Martinez.

Last edited:
You can buy the Whipple 2.3L they have one that bolts in place of the smaller unit. Plus it will be more efficient.
Ken

This or just upgrade to a SOS 2.1

I wish SOS had a Kenne Belle /Autorotor 2.3 from the get go.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole object of me starting this thread is for us Kalifornians with worn Whipples, to be able to replace the SC unit itself as simply and as cheaply as possible with the newer Lysholm. This implies keeping the same basic CTSC fuel system, the precious CARB sticker (smog test every 24 months) and the smallest amount of modification if required (still unanswered by both CT Eng and D.Ambitions). This is why I asked if anyone has already done the switch.

I'm a Californian (perhaps laws in So Cal are tougher) but I passed the visual and sniffer with my SOS SC twice.

Smog technicians can't tell if it's a CTSC or SOS. There is no database with graphic or picture reference nor any mention of dimensions for a smog tech to determine that I have one or the other. I saw this while both were looking up on the CARB database with the CTSC EO# that I provided to them (nope, I didn't need the sticker on the car since I keep that locked away).

- - - Updated - - -

.....The Autorotor is said to run a little bit cooler and therefore with slightly more power.

True story here that I verified years ago when I was researching the differences between Autorotor and Lysholm.

The key is that the Autorotor has an extra lobe in the screw that allows for more and cooler air to be pushed.

- - - Updated - - -

Who the heck is bad mouthing me. Stop talking crap a bought things you know nothing about. PSE Superchargers Is the BEST and HONEST supercharger remanufacture in the world. You boneheads haven't a clue what it is like running a company with 13 employees and one of them make a mistake. I remanufacture 1000 superchargers a year for All OE and aftermarket and they are all perfect. Mistakes happen with ALL company's. You talk as if I screw people. I haven't rebuilt a supercharger with my hands since 2004. Your to stupid to look at the website and see all the employees working. If a mistake happens, and they do, we correct it and someone gets fired. I care for all of my costumers, Even the spoiled, whinee ones. You think I am a one-man-band working out of my garage? Never make a stupid commit about ANY company until you visit the owner or manager in person, see the facility, and understand the circumstances. Otherwise you look like an ass. bboxer, who the heck are you? "PSE has been a disaster to deal with and I am not the only Primer with bad experience" Disaster?? We are not even sure you were ever a paying customer! In Fact, Our records show you sent in your 1600A for bearing noise. We broke it down, cleaned everything and recommended a reman, updating the rotor pack and gears. You declined the work because of the cost. As a courtesy we put your supercharger together with 2 new and 2 perfect used bearing and a seal to help you out. Show every one your invoice. Didn't you pay for an inspection and shipping? Your supercharger is running today because we through you a bone. Your mad because we recommend an upgrade? Big Disaster, sure. You are one of those bonehead that chime in just to be an thread Queen. If anyone has any problem with anything, call me like a man with a valid concern and I will address it immediately. I will not tolerate morons bashing my company for any reason.

Ed Martinez.

Ed, I'm not following here, but if I'm reading this right it sounded like bboxer was and wasn't a paying customer??? Perhaps your phone auto corrected something.......

"Thread Queen" > bonehead in terms of level of fighting words LOL.

This is going to be epic.

Yep. Getting real sick of people talking crap. I have had enough. I say, Don't talk behind peoples back. So, if any one got a beef, put it on the table right here right now. If you have facts, slam them down. I have original invoices. Lets go. I help so many people with free work to help them and I get called a rip off. can't stand it any more.

All of my happy customers with a good normal experience, chime in.

Wow! If I was on the fence about PSE before now, all doubt has been removed. I wouldn't let them touch my SC on a dare. Whoever is posting as "PSE Superchargers" is doing the company no favor at all.

Ed Martinez.
I haven't seen this level of internet meltdown in years! Way to go. You've likely done more harm than good to your business. Time to consider changing names and starting over. Btw.. many of us on here run successful businesses both big and small. Internet complaints have to dealt with a lot differently. The internet is a funny thing... it cannot be erased. Good luck. You will certainly need it!
Wow! If I was on the fence about PSE before now, all doubt has been removed. I wouldn't let them touch my SC on a dare. Whoever is posting as "PSE Superchargers" is doing the company no favor at all.
My thoughts exactly.

EDIT: This is for Ed's sake because I also run a small business and I also want to see more small businesses succeed in America. As a potential customer for PSE. I see his post and think... wow.. if the owner of PSE can have a meltdown like this... I would never want to be on the receiving end as a customer. It's just not worth it. All new customers can only rely on the internet these days. False or true... that's the way world works these days. You should try to convince your happy customers to post more positive feedback to offset the bad ones.

Last edited:
I understand small business owners often need to wear several hats, but this guy would be well served to find someone else to handle public relations.

Back