• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Blown Coolant hoses story

shawn110975

Suspended
Ok guys my first real issue with my NSX in 3 years and my own lazy fault.

its a 92 with 120K+ miles,

driving to work today like a bat outta hell, like every single morning before this one.

turned a corner and gunned it like always
I here a loud Click and then sssssssssssss and white smoke pouring out of the rear of my car, Now white smoke is ususally head gasket so I am thinking shit there goes more cash out the door.

I looked like I was on fire going down the road LOL

pulled over poped the glass, thinking I hope it doesnt catch fire.
and I look down and see one of the main coolant hoses
the size of a human head. I mean it was huge.

I just had my timing belt/ water pump done like last month
and I should have done it then so its my own fault...

so I have my project for the weekend.

I hope SOS will nextday air the full set I am about to buy from them.

so if your guys dont want to be stranded on the side of the road
get this Very important thing done before you have a Blow out.

lucky for me It happen blocks from work and not on the side of the road.

CHANGE YOUR HOSES IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY.

Well you got lucky too, engine damage is not far away when this crap happens. I'm changing mine next week, I have already ordered the full set. My old hoses are off already, they made a really nasty crunchiing sound when the reinforcement fibers were bent, not a good sign! My car is a 91.

As the OP says, change your coolant hoses right away if you haven't already!

I went through the same experience with mine, except it was parked and started smoking out of nowhere. Mine was a pinhole but enough to have me freak out.

I did every single hose as well, front to back. Center ones under the car sucked a bit, but good piece of mind to know they're all new and fresh!!

You may want to try your local Acura dealer. They can get parts from Acura's nearest regional warehouse overnight, and you don't pay overnight shipping fees for what Acura overnights from there to the dealer. Not everything is available in any particular regional warehouse, but the parts guys at the dealership should be able to tell you how long it will take for them to get any particular parts you're interested in.

Nothing wrong with Science of Speed, of course; they provide excellent service and prices, and they're reliable to deal with. But in this particular case, there may be options to avoid paying for overnight shipping.

Last edited:
Ok guys my first real issue with my NSX in 3 years and my own lazy fault.

its a 92 with 120K+ miles,

driving to work today like a bat outta hell, like every single morning before this one.

turned a corner and gunned it like always
I here a loud Click and then sssssssssssss and white smoke pouring out of the rear of my car, Now white smoke is ususally head gasket so I am thinking shit there goes more cash out the door.

I looked like I was on fire going down the road LOL

pulled over poped the glass, thinking I hope it doesnt catch fire.
and I look down and see one of the main coolant hoses
the size of a human head. I mean it was huge.

I just had my timing belt/ water pump done like last month
and I should have done it then so its my own fault...

so I have my project for the weekend.

so if your guys dont want to be stranded on the side of the road
get this Very important thing done before you have a Blow out.

lucky for me It happen blocks from work and not on the side of the road.

CHANGE YOUR HOSES IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY.

Good lesson learned. That is why one of the first things I had LarryB do on my NSX was all 23 hoses (yes, even the overflow one on the tank).

Hope no damage occured. Annoying lesson to learn, I had this happen to my MR2 while on the track one time. That sucked, I had to limp it to an auto parts store with a lot of duct tape so that I could buy a replacement hose to get home.

Makes me feel good knowing I just replaced all 23 of my coolant hoses last month while doing my timing belt / water pump job. It's really the best time to do it since the coolant is drained already.

Ok guys went to Acura and the parts will be here tomorrow.

I had the car towed home I hurts to see her on a flatbed
but didnt wanna risk hurting the engine.

got home and started the pain staking job,
the hose that blew well.... you look at the hole
and tell me how much smoke was probably
coming out of my car. LOL

when I started to take off the hose they broke in my hands, I mean you could hear snapping
and then just break apart in your hands I was like I wonder what the hoses under teh car look like.
ordered everything so learn from others

yikes change your hoses guys dont wait if it needs to be done DO IT...

2012-05-03_12-44-39_18.jpg

2012-05-03_12-44-54_250.jpg

2012-05-03_14-13-13_76.jpg

Last edited:
Is it necessary to do all 23? Or just the main 6-8?

Same thing happened to me not to long ago. It was a hole in the hose just like yours about 3-4mm wide. I only noticed it because I noticed a fog machine type smell and bam I look down my temp gauge was a couple clicks above half way.

Make sure your coolant is properly bled after you install the new hoses. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Wow. What's the ballpark figure to replace all 23 hoses?

I've been quoted between $600 and $1000 just to do the main ones, so I'm not sure I want to know...

same thing happened to me while zipping a little over a 100... my heart stopped :eek:

Just an FYI, over the past few years I have rebuild 3 NSX engines due to this failure. WAY cheaper to do the hoses;). And....do all of them. Soon they may not even be available.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

I've been quoted between $600 and $1000 just to do the main ones, so I'm not sure I want to know...
That sounds VERY high. IN addition, if you do it at the same time as replacing the timing belt and water pump, it's significantly less; access is easier, and you'll be flushing the coolant for the water pump anyway.

That sounds VERY high. IN addition, if you do it at the same time as replacing the timing belt and water pump, it's significantly less; access is easier, and you'll be flushing the coolant for the water pump anyway.

What would you expect to pay for tb/wb/ALL hoses?

Edit: Just checked again, I was indeed quoted $609 at Hilltop and $1093 at Sunnyvale Acura for 6 hoses + clamps.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the $2200-2600 range sounds like a decent price to me. I could be off by a few hundred dollars though.

Huh, that's what I was preparing to pay for tb + wp + six main hoses. I'll have to ask again...

Yes, and significantly more that that if you want to do all 23 of the hoses.

Is it necessary to do all 23? Or just the main 6-8?

Majority of the people will do all 23 hoses, just to have a piece of mind, but 99% of the time hoses that burst will be the 6 main hoses that are under a lot of heat from years of driving.

Yes, and significantly more that that if you want to do all 23 of the hoses.

Think it's cheaper to buy the hose kit from SoS and ask them to use it? I'm sure those prices include OEM Acura hoses.

Back