• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bringing your car back out of winter storage

This is the longest I've ever stored a car without driving it (5 months). Aside from the basic checks and visual inspections (battery voltage, checking hoses for leaks, tire pressures, etc) is there anything I should be concerned with?

I do not think so. I store mine for about 5 months a year and do the basic things you mentioned. Never had a problem. Hey, it a Honda!

Had mine out for the first time late last week after a warm-up and rain cleared the streets of snow and salt.

Here was my procedure:
1) Remove cover
2) Start car
3) Drive off
4) After a bit of a tail-out slide in a corner, remember that I had overfilled the tires for winter storage.

I've driven it several times since, but it goes back under the cover tonight...snow in forecast.

Last edited:
Update: did the basic inspections, started it up, and let it idle for 10-15 minutes. After that, drove off into the sunset - no drama whatsoever.

God I love owning a Honda!!!

I let it warm up 10-15 mins, checked for leaks and odd noises. I went to buy milk on my first drive, came back home after 100 miles and no milk lol went back to the corner store. I rinsed it off before putting it back into the garage.

Don't forget to put your Insurance back to full coverage... assuming you reduced it to only Comprehensive and reduced Collision, etc., to the lowest allowed in your State when first putting it away for the Winter. I save a couple hundred $ ever year reducing the coverage this way.

Don't forget to put your Insurance back to full coverage... assuming you reduced it to only Comprehensive and reduced Collision, etc., to the lowest allowed in your State when first putting it away for the Winter. I save a couple hundred $ ever year reducing the coverage this way.

Ha, coincidentally just adjusted my policy back to full coverage. I was able to remove collision completely and saved about $400.

Almost forgot about it after taking the car out but that's definitely a good reminder!

Jason, when you sat in the seat and took the first drive after 5 months, I bet you had a boner bigger than Pinocchio's nose in that Geico commercial! On a side note, can you believe that the forecast calls for 3-5 inches of snow tomorrow? Hope you don't have it tucked away for another month!

Jason, when you sat in the seat and took the first drive after 5 months, I bet you had a boner bigger than Pinocchio's nose in that Geico commercial! On a side note, can you believe that the forecast calls for 3-5 inches of snow tomorrow? Hope you don't have it tucked away for another month!

Ha, I wish that was true. I had hoped for a better first drive after so long but the roads up here in CT are a disaster after the winter. There aren't just potholes, there are craters around here well over a foot deep that I wouldn't drive through with a monster truck.

Feels like the roads are getting worse and worse with every new winter. I was glued to my windshield like a terrified old woman watching out for said craters. I'm hoping everything gets patched up in the next month or so.

It's not just CT, the craters are here in NY too. Just cam back from a road trip to DC, NJ and DC is just as bad. That's why mine is still under the cover. With the snow here, will just have to wait till next week to get it out of hibernation. Can't wait!

Back