• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars in same league as NSX ??

rsevo6 said:
Sorry, in contradiction to my earlier remark to stop, I couldnt stay silent:redface:

Keep dreaming of what??
A bit sad that when people can't give good argumentation for their remarks, they get offensive
Clear case of NSX tunnelvision

Clearly you have never driven a car with too much power, you are probably still of the "the more power the better" generation:tongue: ?

I once spoke to a guy who owned a Westfield trackcar with 330Bhp cosworth turbo engine (power/weight ratio about 600 Bhp per 1000Kg).
He told me he was selling it as it was almost undrivable. He had to be soo careful when stepping on the accellerator (just a mm too much gas and it was spinning all over the place) that it wasn't any fun driving it anymore.

And in another thread it was written:

Do I get that now?:rolleyes:

Sorry guys, just couldn't resist hassling a little:wink:

While, given his posting frequency, I doubt we'll hear from the original poster again for quite some time :rolleyes:, and while you were correct when you quoted (earlier) his original post as saying "Can anyone suggest what other cars come in the same league as far as price/maintenance cost & reliability is concerned?", *I* believe you have taken him too literally (as you almost certainly *know* :rolleyes: ).

While the "as far as price/maintenance cost & reliability" DOES modify the "in the same league", *I* do NOT think he is including MR2 Turbos, Supra TT's and 300ZX TT's in his "same league" definition. (And I'm betting YOU don't think so either :wink: )

Then again, what the hell do *I* know ?!?!?! :wink:

I think my remarks are correct considering the question stated, but knew almost for sure what kind of reactions would follow:rolleyes: :wink: , rattling up things a bit:biggrin: :tongue:
Am goiing to have a look at a silver/black '98 model NSX on monday not my favorite colour, but who knows, I might fall for it :smile:

rsevo6 said:
I think my remarks are correct considering the question stated, but knew almost for sure what kind of reactions would follow:rolleyes: :wink: , rattling up things a bit:biggrin: :tongue:

"Opinions vary" (Patrick Swayze)

Remember the Brady Bunch episode where Greg caught his parents saying one thing literally (when he knew very well what they *really* meant) and subsequently got away with something ? And of course later on THEY turned the tables on something HE said and took HIM literally.

HE didn't like the result very much either. :wink:

One other thing - when making a large purchase like this, unless you have 2 color choices that you like just about equally, don't "settle" !!!

Hi mate, just call me so I can tell you all and ask you some questions at the same time:confused:
It is in Belgium, gonna go to meet Niels and have a look at the red NSX with him at the same time too.

NSX-GUY said:
"Opinions vary" (Patrick Swayze)

One other thing - when making a large purchase like this, unless you have 2 color choices that you like just about equally, don't "settle" !!!

I think I will have no choice as I would want a '97+ Montecarlo blue with tan/ Midnight pearl with tan/ Imola orange with tan, and these are no where to be found in Europe.
There was a for Europe unique imported 97 Montecarlo blue/tan Acura for sale some time ago and I really wanted it till I saw it. Was described as flawless, but was 3/4 resprayed and some panels had clearly been off, so accident damage:mad: . Didn't trust it and even though this was exactly the colour that I wanted I decided I didn't trust the car and walked away, too many unclear things.:frown:

Last edited:
Shumdit said:
I am actually going to say Cayman S here also. I do not think it is really a match in a lot of areas to the NSX, but does handle great and the interior quality is very nice compared to the old 986 cars. It looks better in person than in photos, but I do not think it is as attractive to me as the NSX. I think it comes closest to the NSX in overall price/performance/etc., although I would not say "closest" means very close. Ferrari and Lambo are out due to service costs, and somewhat spotty build quality. Ford GT and Z06 are great performing cars, but are really beasts compared to the NSX, and I do not think give anywhere close to the same driving experience (not that they do not better the NSX in some area of that experience).

Being that the supply of Orange NSX' are drying up faster than a raisin in the desert sun....... and based on some of the posts here I decided to test drive the Cayman S this past Saturday.

VERY impressive. Terrific handling and, unlike the Boxster, very solid. 0-60 in 5.1, faster if you remove those "restrictors" (I guess). And, unlike the 911 Turbo I can actually get my golf clubs in the car - and hidden too !

And, perhaps best of all, with the engine amidships, it sounds just as great (and exciting) as the NSX, one of those (somewhat) "undefinable" features *I* love so much about cars; the way they sound as I drive them. I had an M3 for 3 years; absolutely GREAT car in all ways but sounded like my Mom's 3 series sedan.

And while the Cayman S may not(?) be "innovative", it certainly looks fairly distinctive (among the Porsche realm anyway). From $58K-$72K or so, not bad,,,,,,, not bad at all.

Funny though, now that they made a hardtop verion of the Boxster it costs MORE than the convertible - how'd THAT happen ? :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
Funny though, now that they made a hardtop verion of the Boxster it costs MORE than the convertible - how'd THAT happen ? :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Same thing happened with the 63-67 Corvette, although with the Porsche, at least you are getting a bigger engine and some chassis tweaks for your $$!

I know i am a little late to the thread but why hasn't anyone mentioned the RX-7. I know they are hard to find and the rotary engine only lasts about 80 to 100k but that car has incredible stock performance numbers all around and seeing that a new mazda reman engine is only about 3k installed, maintenance aint really an issue.

Being that only about 10,000 where ever imported into the U.S. it is a pretty rare car that you never really see that much on the road.

I think the main reason is reliability. The FD has great performance and drives well (even though the NSX feels like a torque king down low compared to the FD (and even moreso with the FC). The engine is not the only issue with the FD, and the Turbos are expensive also. They sometimes fail due to reasons other than improper cool down on the FD, and that bundle of hoses under the hood can be a pain also. All in all, it's a great track car (maybe better than the NSX at some venues), but not as practical or easy to drive as the NSX, in my opinion.

AU_NSX said:
In what way do you think an MR2 CAN compare??? Certainly not as far as price/maintenance cost & reliability is concerned.

...your assumption that I was ragging on the MR2 or the Miata is totally incorrect! They are both excellent cars... They are both loads of fun... I was just pointing out that they are not in the same league as the NSX...

I agree that the MR2 is not in the same league as the NSX. I also agree that it's loads of fun. I'll say it again, LOADS of fun. (And utterly reliable!)

BTW... I much prefer the first generation Supercharged car to the later Turbo. We're talkin' ear-to-ear smiles here!

Skylark

AndyNSX said:
Only thing i would say is the Ferrari F355 and 360, and that is only if you took reliabilty out of the equation.

I agree with Andy. The F355 is the closest car to the NSX.

imo the 355 has slightly better performance and looks a little bit better than the nsx, but has lower build quality and is a lot more expensive (and potentially frustrating) to maintain than the nsx.

I also agree with other's, the Cayman's spec sheet is almost identical to the NSX.

sam snead said:
I agree with Andy. The F355 is the closest car to the NSX.

imo the 355 has slightly better performance and looks a little bit better than the nsx, but has lower build quality and is a lot more expensive (and potentially frustrating) to maintain than the nsx.

I also agree with other's, the Cayman's spec sheet is almost identical to the NSX.

You know, I am not sure I consider the F355 to be a better looking car. Possibly out of the box, but with a few changes to the NSX I find it a far better looking car. If only I could capture the sound of that V8 at 8000 RPM with a Tubi!

Shumdit said:
You know, I am not sure I consider the F355 to be a better looking car. Possibly out of the box, but with a few changes to the NSX I find it a far better looking car. If only I could capture the sound of that V8 at 8000 RPM with a Tubi!

Thanks Shumdit, I forgot about the Ferrari sound. That sound is one of the biggest reasons F car owners put up with the high maintanence costs.

You know, if the nsx had a v8, lost 200 lbs from other areas (to make up for the weight of 2 cylinders and some mystery dead weight), and had better brakes......it would be the perfect car for me. As it stands right now, it's pretty darn close!

Hugh said:
Just like these two Boeings. :)

D4E-535464_n.jpg

f22_n.jpg

Neither of those two planes are Boeings Hugh.

The first is a Douglas DC-3 (one of my favorites)

and the other is a Lockheed Martin F-22 (although Boeing did contract to make the wings and some other bits according to what I could find out online)

Regards,

Patrick

What is with the Esprit Hate?

Being an Esprit owner I am quite shocked at the lack of RESPECT for a very unique and exotic automobile..

what do you pigs have to say for yourself?

I definitely think the F355 and the NSX are in a similar class. I just switched from a 1991 NSX that I owned and loved for 7 years to a 1995 F355 2 weeks ago and have logged over a 1,000 miles already in the Ferrari. From my stand point (ymmv) here is my comparison:

Acceleration: Advantage F355 by a fair margin, but the NSX is far quicker than many give it credit, especially those in the P-Car and M3 crowd.

Handling: Too close to call, both are among the best handling cars on the road, Honda with Ayrton Senna's help sure got the handling right on the NSX and the F355 is simply amazing.

Steering: Both excellent, with the NSX all you have to do is think about where you are heading and you end up there, the feeling is fantastic. The power assist on the F355 is just right as well, so I call this one a draw.

Looks: Completely subjective, but in my opinion the F355 is the most beautiful car built in the last 20 years, but the NSX is still very strong, both cars get plenty of attention (good or bad depending on your mood), but the F355 gets far more attention in Denver.

Sound: No contest on this one, nothing sounds better than an F355 with a Tubi IMHO, NSX is great with RM or Tubi as long as you do not have a Ferrari to compare it to.

Interior: F355 has nicer leather and wonderful smells, but the NSX is better put together and certainly looks great for a longer time. No issues in the NSX for shrinkage and far less noticeable wear, real world advantage goes to the NSX.

Maintenance: Regular maintenance, much more affordable and less stressful on the NSX, you do not have to have a maintenance fund available every 5 years for the 30,000 mile service. When things break on either car, both are expensive and will hurt your pocket. Advantage NSX.

Value: All up to you, what are the tangibles and intangibles worth to you personally. If you get a 1991-1994 NSX, they have reached their depreciation curve and you can put miles on them without killing your resale value, it was a luxury to indulge myself driving the NSX guilt free without worrying about reaching a magic mileage barrier that meant I would never sell the car. The F355 has probably reached the bottom of its depreciation curve, but mileage on Ferraris gets to be an issue on resale, which is somewhat odd in that one has fewer issues with a car that is driven regularly than a garage queen.

All in all these are 2 of the best cars and value available today. What do I miss the most from the NSX? Guilt free driving, the connection to Ayrton Senna, less questions about what does everything costs, etc. What I do not miss is the uninformed loser (usually in a 944 or old 911) or a BMW (325) telling his passenger "you know it just a Honda”.... Good news was I never had to look at those guys long, except in the rear view mirror, and don't get me started on racing history both Honda and Ferrari have won a ton more F1 races in the last 20 years than Porsche and BMW. The NSX was great, I personally like the F355 better, but there are a lot of great cars out there today and true enthusiasts will appreciate any great car (I have a hankering to drive a new Z06). Enjoy the ride, if either of these cars don't put you in a great mood, take the bus!

05011994 said:
I definitely think the F355 and the NSX are in a similar class. I just switched from a 1991 NSX that I owned and loved for 7 years to a 1995 F355 2 weeks ago and have logged over a 1,000 miles already in the Ferrari. From my stand point (ymmv) here is my comparison:

Acceleration: Advantage F355 by a fair margin, but the NSX is far quicker than many give it credit, especially those in the P-Car and M3 crowd.

Handling: Too close to call, both are among the best handling cars on the road, Honda with Ayrton Senna's help sure got the handling right on the NSX and the F355 is simply amazing.

Steering: Both excellent, with the NSX all you have to do is think about where you are heading and you end up there, the feeling is fantastic. The power assist on the F355 is just right as well, so I call this one a draw.

Looks: Completely subjective, but in my opinion the F355 is the most beautiful car built in the last 20 years, but the NSX is still very strong, both cars get plenty of attention (good or bad depending on your mood), but the F355 gets far more attention in Denver.

Sound: No contest on this one, nothing sounds better than an F355 with a Tubi IMHO, NSX is great with RM or Tubi as long as you do not have a Ferrari to compare it to.

Interior: F355 has nicer leather and wonderful smells, but the NSX is better put together and certainly looks great for a longer time. No issues in the NSX for shrinkage and far less noticeable wear, real world advantage goes to the NSX.

Maintenance: Regular maintenance, much more affordable and less stressful on the NSX, you do not have to have a maintenance fund available every 5 years for the 30,000 mile service. When things break on either car, both are expensive and will hurt your pocket. Advantage NSX.

Value: All up to you, what are the tangibles and intangibles worth to you personally. If you get a 1991-1994 NSX, they have reached their depreciation curve and you can put miles on them without killing your resale value, it was a luxury to indulge myself driving the NSX guilt free without worrying about reaching a magic mileage barrier that meant I would never sell the car. The F355 has probably reached the bottom of its depreciation curve, but mileage on Ferraris gets to be an issue on resale, which is somewhat odd in that one has fewer issues with a car that is driven regularly than a garage queen.

All in all these are 2 of the best cars and value available today. What do I miss the most from the NSX? Guilt free driving, the connection to Ayrton Senna, less questions about what does everything costs, etc. What I do not miss is the uninformed loser (usually in a 944 or old 911) or a BMW (325) telling his passenger "you know it just a Honda”.... Good news was I never had to look at those guys long, except in the rear view mirror, and don't get me started on racing history both Honda and Ferrari have won a ton more F1 races in the last 20 years than Porsche and BMW. The NSX was great, I personally like the F355 better, but there are a lot of great cars out there today and true enthusiasts will appreciate any great car (I have a hankering to drive a new Z06). Enjoy the ride, if either of these cars don't put you in a great mood, take the bus!

Nice to see that you upgraded to a ferrari. I'll definitely say Hi when I see you around town. She's a beauty I bet.

SexyNsx said:
What is with the Esprit Hate?

Being an Esprit owner I am quite shocked at the lack of RESPECT for a very unique and exotic automobile..
:confused:
Where is the hate? Not sure where you got that idea. I am sure you don't represent all of the Esprit owners.

A lot of people here probably actually appreciate Esprit. It is a very nice looking exotic with great performance, however its not perfect either, can't deny that. I personally have no problem with Esprits, I think they look hot.

nsxsupra said:
:confused:
Where is the hate? Not sure where you got that idea. I am sure you don't represent all of the Esprit owners.

A lot of people here probably actually appreciate Esprit. It is a very nice looking exotic with great performance, however its not perfect either, can't deny that. I personally have no problem with Esprits, I think they look hot.

Looking back at some of SexyNSXs posts, he seems a little unstable.
Anyway I like the Esprit. The V8 is the way to go if you have the $. I like the inboard disks. And its a nice car all round but it is a bit of a mongrel. Lots of bits and bobs from lesser cars and the reliability is not as bad as some people make out but it does not seem that great either.

Regards,

Patrick

05011994 said:

Very informative and about spot on with what I assesed about the cars without ever owning a 355. That said, if you would have owned a NA2 NSX, the first comparision would not have been advantage Ferrari. From what I have gathered the cars are almost identical in a straight line when comparing an NA2 to the 355, even the 95's which are slighly faster than the 96-99 models from the tests and other info I have been able to locate.

SugrueNSX said:
Looking back at some of SexyNSXs posts, he seems a little unstable.
Anyway I like the Esprit. The V8 is the way to go if you have the $. I like the inboard disks. And its a nice car all round but it is a bit of a mongrel. Lots of bits and bobs from lesser cars and the reliability is not as bad as some people make out but it does not seem that great either.

Regards,

Patrick

Think his drives like garbage I know first hand. J/K:biggrin:

SexyNSX Is deffinatly unstable. NO J/K :wink:

His car has I think 430 RWHP its a monster with just some tuning and really not much modification, Handels amazing. Your right reliabily is deffinatly not bad for an exotic mabe only 50% more costly than NSX. Probably on par with P-car maintnance especially with 996s RMS issues.

Deffinatly ask about burnig quarry fall before purchasing any NSX.
Or Tree Hugging in regaurds to any future 99 Viper puchases.
Either car may have been SexyNsxs:biggrin:

The respect the Esprit is getting is well deserved..

does the car have issues that arise.. yes.. but nothing that any car lover would mind dishing out for a car like that..

Mine so far as been alright.. it's getting it's belt check as we speak which is FREE for the life of the car from Lotus (I love them)

BTW take a look at this 99 esprit with 100k miles
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ear=2007&start_year=1981&lang=en&cardist=2358

Not bad.. and it selling for 50k.. to be honest the more miles on an esprit the better shape the car is in.. HONOR THE ESPRIT.. I have about 37k on mine (with a rebuilt engine at 21k) so I suppose 16k on the new engine.. car is running just dandy..

BTW -

I DO NOT appreciate being called unstable.. and how does the fact that my ex gf drove my NSX into a quarry make ME unstable? We talk once an awhile though.. I saw her at the mall and I waved.. she gave me the finger and called me a fag.. again.

I dunno man she was a fine woman.. really sweet, all relationships have issues, but we had fun. She just freaked out when she caught me behind her bro.. And I don't even go gay since then.. I am currently dating a fine woman from russia .. sweet sweet creature that doesn't give a crap if I have done men or animals or anything.. I am telling you you need to meet ladies from russia who need a green card because they ACCEPT a ton more crap and are happy just to be here in america.

SexyNsx said:
The respect the Esprit is getting is well deserved..

does the car have issues that arise.. yes.. but nothing that any car lover would mind dishing out for a car like that..HONOR THE ESPRIT.. I have about 37k on mine (with a rebuilt engine at 21k) so I suppose 16k on the new engine.. car is running just dandy..

:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back