• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparing F355 w/ NSX :)

Bob1374 said:
I don't pay twice what others are paying on their cars at my dealership for an oil change. Am I in the minority on this one?
No, you're not.

At the dealer, I pay around $30 for an NSX oil and filter change, including the filter, and I bring my own synthetic oil ($23.xx for a six-pack of Mobil 1 at Sam's or Costco), for a total cost around $50. This is roughly $11 more than for an oil and filter change on my Integra, because that car takes one less quart of oil and its oil filter is about $7 less. The labor charge is the same.

The charges are similar at my local independent mechanic; they charge a bit less for labor, but I buy the oil from them so it's a bit more, for a net wash.

Regarding the exact costs of oil changes for the NSX and other Acuras, the inflated cost of the NSX oil filters and the oil service are costs that multiple dealers have charged me. I am sure there are dealers out there where the cost differential is not quite so high, and that is great. But I am speaking about what I have experienced first hand, at certified Acura dealerships. Your experiences may vary, but I can only speak about what I have personally experienced, so please refrain from jumping all over my statement if your local dealer charges less. Thank you.

MYNSX said:
I'm tired of hering the attitude "I can't afford this or that"!!(Its a defeating attitude)
instead of "How can I afford this or that"(Its a positive REALISTIC attitude)

sounds like a quote from the book "rich dad, poor dad".
Great book and a great outlook on life!!

I will own a ferrari one day. Im Just in the stages of trying to figure out how i can afford one!

Meeyatch1 said:
Regarding the exact costs of oil changes for the NSX and other Acuras, the inflated cost of the NSX oil filters and the oil service are costs that multiple dealers have charged me. I am sure there are dealers out there where the cost differential is not quite so high, and that is great. But I am speaking about what I have experienced first hand, at certified Acura dealerships. Your experiences may vary, but I can only speak about what I have personally experienced, so please refrain from jumping all over my statement if your local dealer charges less. Thank you.

Who was jumping on you? Could you provide an example? Many of us have had a differing experience when it come to (NSX) oil changes, and just stated a different opinion.

I have seen dealers that charge more. I just don't go there.

Meeyatch1 said:
please refrain from jumping all over my statement if your local dealer charges less. Thank you.

I don't think what I inquired about meets the level of "jumping all over." I was just curious as to whether or not I was in the minority of those who have gotten their oil changed at the same rate as any other car by the dealership.

NetViper said:
It is not like you exactly had the most relaible F/I solution on there either. Didn't you replace your motor not too long ago?

Good luck selling your NSX though. It sounds like you dread having it around. Hopefully the new owner will appreciate it. Good luck with your 355. I am sure it is a great car too.

No its the original motor.

The F355 will be my next sports car. I have always loved the lines and IMO the 348/355 body style is the "truest" Ferrari. I'd take a 360 in a heartbeat, but it's not the same for me. I have never driven a 355 but I have ridden in some on the track including a Challenge car. Unbelievable adhesion. unbelievable.......

RichH said:
Who was jumping on you? Could you provide an example? Many of us have had a differing experience when it come to (NSX) oil changes, and just stated a different opinion.

I have seen dealers that charge more. I just don't go there.

I spoke wrong...I did not mean someone had already jumped on my statement, I was saying if someone was planning to to please refrain from it. I just did not type what I meant. Sorry about the miscommunication.

Bob1374 said:
I don't think what I inquired about meets the level of "jumping all over." I was just curious as to whether or not I was in the minority of those who have gotten their oil changed at the same rate as any other car by the dealership.

Please see my reply posted above...it was a poor choice of words for what I meant to say. Thanks. :)

kgb agent;remember that challenge car was most likely on pirelli slicks,otherwise a stock 355 has less adhesion than a stock similar year nsx imo.

In all fairness, what Mitch originally posted is that NSX owners pay twice what other Acura owners do for "oil filters and service". Since the NSX oil filter typically costs $11-14, and those for most other Acura models typically cost $5-7, he's certainly right about the oil filter part (even though the service part is not true of any of the dealers I've been to).

As for the comparison between the F355 service costs, the costs are what they are - whether it's $6K every 30K miles, or $10K every 30K miles, or $1300 in the case of the NSX. The cost of scheduled maintenance is easy to calculate in advance; just stop by your preferred dealer or mechanic and ask, and you can do that when you're considering buying the car. For most cars, it's still a relatively small expenditure compared with the purchase price of the car. And you've got to pay to play...

docjohn said:
kgb agent;remember that challenge car was most likely on pirelli slicks,otherwise a stock 355 has less adhesion than a stock similar year nsx imo.

Oh, it was for sure. PZeros.

Are you saying the NSX can pull higher lateral G's? That would be a fact I could hang my hat on there... :)

nsxtasy said:
As for the comparison between the F355 service costs, the costs are what they are - whether it's $6K every 30K miles, or $10K every 30K miles, or $1300 in the case of the NSX. The cost of scheduled maintenance is easy to calculate in advance; just stop by your preferred dealer or mechanic and ask, and you can do that when you're considering buying the car. For most cars, it's still a relatively small expenditure compared with the purchase price of the car. And you've got to pay to play...

For the Ferrari, it's most definitely not a relatively small expenditure.

No disrespect to MYNSX (love you and your toys man), but I spoke at LENGTH to a good number of the local Ferrari owners here in the NYC area (and there are a lot) and a lot of my west coast (and far wealthier) co-workers who own the mid-engined Ferraris as well.

Between real friends (where you will be busting their balls if they give you bad info), I was told that I would realistically need to be budgeting like $1/mile for a 355 over the "long haul". In Ferrari terms, "long haul" means like 30k miles!

Personally, I can't afford that kind of upkeep and certainly don't want to have to be thinking "man, let me not drive this car that much so I dont get any closer to the $7,000 service.

ONLY Ferrari is like this. NO OTHER CAR is like this. It's ridiculous to argue the point. Owning a Ferrari on which you are not doing the work yourself (good luck there unless its an 308/328) or without knowing an independent mechanic personally, is just orders of magnitude beyond ANY car (including Rolls Royce, Bentley and Lotus).

Even if you know an independent, the parts are just insane.

Even if you think "well, I dont put any mileage on my NSX anyway" (and its truly sad how many of these great cars just rot away in a garage), you have to realize that its mileage OR time. It's not like you can keep a 355 at 14,999 miles for 10 years. After a couple of years, you're going to have to do the 15k anyway.

Look up the stats. Most Ferraris change hands shortly before needing their FIRST major. What does that tell you?

I believe in what MYNSX is saying in terms of thinking "HOW can I afford it" rather than "I cant afford it", but the only answer is "make more money". I'm sure we're all working on it, but in the meantime, you have to be realistic. Buying cars you cannot afford to own is like the diametrical opposite of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". In fact, buying ANY car short of a used Corolla is directly opposed to the message of that book.

spookyp said:
For the Ferrari, it's most definitely not a relatively small expenditure.

No disrespect to MYNSX (love you and your toys man), but I spoke at LENGTH to a good number of the local Ferrari owners here in the NYC area (and there are a lot) and a lot of my west coast (and far wealthier) co-workers who own the mid-engined Ferraris as well.

Between real friends (where you will be busting their balls if they give you bad info), I was told that I would realistically need to be budgeting like $1/mile for a 355 over the "long haul". In Ferrari terms, "long haul" means like 30k miles!

Personally, I can't afford that kind of upkeep and certainly don't want to have to be thinking "man, let me not drive this car that much so I dont get any closer to the $7,000 service.

ONLY Ferrari is like this. NO OTHER CAR is like this. It's ridiculous to argue the point. Owning a Ferrari on which you are not doing the work yourself (good luck there unless its an 308/328) or without knowing an independent mechanic personally, is just orders of magnitude beyond ANY car (including Rolls Royce, Bentley and Lotus).

Even if you know an independent, the parts are just insane.

Even if you think "well, I dont put any mileage on my NSX anyway" (and its truly sad how many of these great cars just rot away in a garage), you have to realize that its mileage OR time. It's not like you can keep a 355 at 14,999 miles for 10 years. After a couple of years, you're going to have to do the 15k anyway.

Look up the stats. Most Ferraris change hands shortly before needing their FIRST major. What does that tell you?

I believe in what MYNSX is saying in terms of thinking "HOW can I afford it" rather than "I cant afford it", but the only answer is "make more money". I'm sure we're all working on it, but in the meantime, you have to be realistic. Buying cars you cannot afford to own is like the diametrical opposite of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". In fact, buying ANY car short of a used Corolla is directly opposed to the message of that book.

As far as Rich Dads view on this your right and wrong . He wanted a Porshe and asked himself "How can I afford it" . He found a deal to make it happen and still owns the Porshe. His attitude is more do away with the "do-dads" tons of little expenses that can easily be done without . Granted theres a practical approach toward all unpractical purchases and a car is one of th3e WORST investments "BUT" in my case nessesary the Ferrari ,NSX ect are a trophy to ME for the 80-100hrs / week since I was a 15 years old . I earned every bill I get for the F-car and IMO is worth every penny "otherwise I wouldn't do it" and as soon as this is NOT true I'll sell it and have a picture on my wall of it . But I'll NEVER be saying I coulda,shoulda,mighta,ought.Kinda like falling in love , a lot of time its NOT practical but I do it anyway.See w
What I'm sayin?? You only get one pass thru life I say GO FOR THE BRASS RING AND KEEP THE FIRE IN YOUR BELLY!!

FOCUSED DRIVEN AND PERSISTENT NEVER CEASING NEVER ENDING!!

This has been a most interesting posting experience and I DO appreciate your input as much as you may not think I'm not conciderate of your opinion .Hey I'd be bored if I didn't rock the boat once in a while. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

ps... IF YOU EVER DO GET A F-CAR I'D BE GLAD TO SHOW YOU HOW TO SAVE 50-80% ON THE PARTS YOU SPOKE OF ON THE F-CAR. MY CONTACT IS IN GERMANY AND SHIPPED IN 3-5 DAYS AT AMAZINGLY LOW PRICES.NO THERES NOTHING AT ALL IN IT FOR ME .JUST THE SATISFACTION OF HELPING SOMEONE.

nsxtasy said:
In all fairness, what Mitch originally posted is that NSX owners pay twice what other Acura owners do for "oil filters and service". Since the NSX oil filter typically costs $11-14, and those for most other Acura models typically cost $5-7, he's certainly right about the oil filter part (even though the service part is not true of any of the dealers I've been to).

Good point NSXTASY your one of the most knowledgable people on this forum IMO although I sometime dis-agree you've helped a lot of people including myself thanks for your input as well !! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Re: Fisking Slashmatt's Responses

Soichiro said:
>>Here's my Dad's car.
To sum up - My dad can beat your dad. Nanananananana.

Isn't that a Ferrari F1 Steering wheel (never mind that it's a picture of a replica paperweight) that you're using as an Avatar?

I wasn't saying anything, I was sharing the Ferrari experience with MyNSX. Also, my post is 100% correct. I didn't add to the cost of the repairs or blame the dealer for my body work, I was just making stating that body work on the NSX is expensive, just as it is with a Ferrari.

For all of you people that are offended by my truthful post, here are a few points.

1. I no longer take my car to Acura dealerships. I go to a mechanic that works on NSX's exclusively in Miami.

2. My car is not a POS. Leaky cam seals and leaking clutch master cylinders are normal problems on a '95 NSX.

3. My father shares his cars with me. He's made it very clear that they are our cars, not his. He's not a jerk.

4. I'm too busy to try and get retribution against the dealership for losing $1000 on a starter motor, I just take my car somewhere else for work. It was my fault that I trusted an Acura dealership to work on my exotic car.

5. I love NSX's, but I'd feel really sorry for a person that buys a $25k '91 and expects it to be in perfect condition because the Acura dealership checked it out for them. You notice that list of things that needed to be fixed on my car? I had been to 3 Acura dealerships on 5 occasions, and they didn't notice any of the problems or solve a single one of them correctly. The only things they did right were the things that I specifically told them to do; they replaced the timing belt and the hoses correctly. They provided no insight and cost me in excess of $5k in unnecessary charges. If you think your car is so maintenance free, and it's 13yrs. old having only Acura recommended maintenance, I challenge you to take your car to my mechanic (MCA Motorsports in Miami) to find out the truth. There are things that he knew to look for without thinking twice about it.

6. I'd say that I know the difference between a civic and an NSX, but I've never driven a civic. I can tell you the difference between a 2003 VW Golf GTI 337 (GIAC modified) that I drove around for about a month once and an NSX, but that's as close as I can get because I would never buy a civic. I wasn't even planning on buying an NSX, but after driving 3 E46 M3's (one 19" SMG, one 19" 6-speed, and a 18" 6-speed) I really thought they handled like barges. But maybe that's because I was comparing them to my drives on country roads in a Ferrari 360 Spider or the 996 Turbo, or maybe it was the Evo, the Hennessey Viper, the SL500 Sport, the 996 Cab, the Z06, the Dinan Z3, the '02 MCoupe, the Volvo S60R or even an '02 Miata with Sports suspension. Though the M3 does handle better on the road than the Cayenne S, the 740iL, the '04 Audi S4, and plenty of other cars. But still, I've never driven a Civic.

Oh Ya....

I've never seen an Acura dealership restore exotic race cars either. Last time I was at Ferrari of Houston, they had just finished rebuilding the motor on a non-ferrari Ayrton Senna F1 car after they had helped the owner restore the car to use for track days for a year.

kgb_agent said:
The F355 will be my next sports car. I have always loved the lines and IMO the 348/355 body style is the "truest" Ferrari. I'd take a 360 in a heartbeat, but it's not the same for me. I have never driven a 355 but I have ridden in some on the track including a Challenge car. Unbelievable adhesion. unbelievable.......

I'm with you. Eventhough I've gone widebody with my NSX everytime an F355 or F348 pass me by something stir in me. If I had the money I will have the three of them in my garage including my NSX of course. That's the reason why my NSX plate number is 355. :p

slashmatt said:
body work on the NSX is expensive, just as it is with a Ferrari.
Body work on any car, when needed, is usually paid by insurance.

slashmatt said:
1. I no longer take my car to Acura dealerships. I go to a mechanic that works on NSX's exclusively in Miami.
Exclusively? From their website, it sure looks like they do a lot of work on that other car shown in my avatar, as well as the NSX. :confused:

Certainly, when you have one of ~8,000 cars in the country, you can't go just anywhere and expect to find someone who works on them all day long. Some dealers do, and some dealers don't. And, in a VERY few places around the country, there is an independent mechanic who does a lot of work on them. Including yours, I can count them on two hands.

slashmatt said:
I love NSX's, but I'd feel really sorry for a person that buys a $25k '91 and expects it to be in perfect condition because the Acura dealership checked it out for them.
That depends on the dealer. Around here, there are three dealers that do a lot of NSX work (and no independents). I've seen cars that have been checked out by each of them. Their inspections are as thorough and as knowledgeable as any you will find anywhere.

slashmatt said:
The only things they did right were the things that I specifically told them to do; they replaced the timing belt and the hoses correctly. They provided no insight
Again, that depends on the dealer. A dealer service department that does a lot of NSX service work WILL find things on cars even when not asked to do so. (Just to cite one recent example: I had my NSX at the dealer to have the fluids changed a few months ago, and the NSX tech noticed that the ball joints were failing.)

The good thing about NSXprime is that people can use it to get recommendations from other members regarding which dealers and/or independent mechanics in their area do a lot of quality NSX service work, and stick with those dealers/mechanics for anything more complicated than changing oil, brake pads, and tires.

nsx2000 said:
They are both good cars.

If operating cost is the most concern, the NSX is better car than F355.
Otherwise, F355 is a better car.

Is that an F355 challenge car in your avatar?? :smile:

Meeyatch1 said:
Is that an F355 challenge car in your avatar?? :smile:

That is my F355 with Challenge conversion.
DSC08547.JPG

DSC08540.JPG

Back