• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparing F355 w/ NSX :)

I think most of us follow Doug H's nsxfiles, the amount of labor he's had to have done on his F355 is ricockulous (as he likes to say). Not to mention, 7,000 miles is nada, I like to put 20,000+ miles a year on my car. I can't imagine the yearly maintenance costs doing that kind of mileage on an F car.
I'd love to have one someday, but it's an unrealistic goal considering my requirements are also reliability and an exotic daily driver.

robr said:
I think most of us follow Doug H's nsxfiles, the amount of labor he's had to have done on his F355 is ricockulous (as he likes to say). Not to mention, 7,000 miles is nada, I like to put 20,000+ miles a year on my car. I can't imagine the yearly maintenance costs doing that kind of mileage on an F car.
I'd love to have one someday, but it's an unrealistic goal considering my requirements are also reliability and an exotic daily driver.

Ive never been broken down in MY355??

I have been stuck on the side of the road in MYNSX.

Just the facts.

1 1/2 years 19,780 miles added to the original 30K I purchased the car with. The notorious reputation for unreliability is based on "non" daily driven 355's.

Hell theres a 355 in florida that had over 105k on it and sold w/ "no" problems to someone I know of.

Another in Cali with 174k and NO problems.EVER other than services (ps... he did his 30k services every 60k ,original owner,I spoke with him recently)

Granted I'm not dis-agreeing it cost more but "not as much as people pump it up to be".

Oh yea I had a header issue which was resolved and paid for by Ferrari,not that the NSX didn,t have a few thousand dollar issue w/ a snap ring.(this was not paid for by Acura ,I PAID FOR IT)

Anyway comparing these two auto's is apples to oranges ,they drive unlike each other ,react differently under load, and technology is totally different.

Everything "feels" and sounds different in my 355 vs's my NSX.

If price was a non-issue I would have done it sooner.

MYNSX said:
Ive never been broken down in MY355??

I have been stuck on the side of the road in MYNSX.

Just the facts.

1 1/2 years 19,780 miles added to the original 30K I purchased the car with. The notorious reputation for unreliability is based on "non" daily driven 355's.

Hell theres a 355 in florida that had over 105k on it and sold w/ "no" problems to someone I know of.

Another in Cali with 174k and NO problems.EVER other than services (ps... he did his 30k services every 60k ,original owner,I spoke with him recently)

Granted I'm not dis-agreeing it cost more but "not as much as people pump it up to be".

Oh yea I had a header issue which was resolved and paid for by Ferrari,not that the NSX didn,t have a few thousand dollar issue w/ a snap ring.(this was not paid for by Acura ,I PAID FOR IT)

Anyway comparing these two auto's is apples to oranges ,they drive unlike each other ,react differently under load, and technology is totally different.

Everything "feels" and sounds different in my 355 vs's my NSX.

If price was a non-issue I would have done it sooner.

I think the NSX is a great car "but" I think the Ferrari is far superior based on "MY" experience.

MYNSX said:
I think the NSX is a great car "but" I think the Ferrari is far superior based on "MY" experience.

Oh my, I think the only reason your NSX left you on the side of the road is cause you moded it. A well maintained stock honda will never leave you out on the side of a road.( atleast thats my experience). I do think the Ferrari is a great car and most that own then only own then because its a Ferrari.
I think they just like saying they have a 4re. Just like have nice cloths or drinking starbucks. I'm fine wearing my oldnavy jeans and drinking my dunken donuts coffee. :D

all i have to say is are you sure you have a Ferrari? :)

40K on original clutch, never broken down, I would check to make sure you didn't get a NSX/F355 Kit car :D

THonda said:
all i have to say is are you sure you have a Ferrari? :)

LOL yep that might be so.

40K on original clutch, never broken down, I would check to make sure you didn't get a NSX/F355 Kit car :D

I agree the fact is the NSX is always more dependable .
In my case it hasn't been.

BOTH have been dependable.

GET IT??

nsxchi-town said:
Oh my, I think the only reason your NSX left you on the side of the road is cause you moded it. A well maintained stock honda will never leave you out on the side of a road.( atleast thats my experience). I do think the Ferrari is a great car and most that own then only own then because its a Ferrari.
I think they just like saying they have a 4re. Just like have nice cloths or drinking starbucks. I'm fine wearing my oldnavy jeans and drinking my dunken donuts coffee. :D

I think they just like saying they have a 4re

Well you got the wrong person. I geneally DONT tell people what I drive.
Its prejudice to carry the attitude you have. Sorry dude your wrong.

As far as the clothes I wear I generally am dressed in near rags ,if your implyiing I "hide " behind material possesions .Why dont you ask my fellow NSXr's what I drove to the last get together . "My Pick -up truck."

I do think the Ferrari is a great car and most that own then only own then because its a Ferrari.

I dont care if the car said Volkswagon I'd still feel the same .I've never been a brand person.

MYNSX said:

Yeah I get it, but did you factor in your F355 header problem you had when you are talking about how dependable your F355 has been. What did that cost you about? Over $5000?

It seems you have only owned your F355 for a short time, so basically all of your opinion is based on a rather limited "database"? Or you counting the data based on that replica lambo you owned?

gheba_nsx said:
When I wrote 1500$/year in services a couple days ago above in this thread I was not joking. Me and my friend did a lot of research when looking for the perfect 355 for him. We read a lot of service records from different owners and that seemed the average...

I'd have to own my NSX for 10 years just to get to $1700 a month in maintanace, as I put $17k into it last year. Mind you, this car is a 1995 with only 25k miles on it, every problem I had is considered normal, and every other change, i.e. all belts and hoses is normal preventative maintanence. I'm not saying the NSX is "unreliable", but it's 10yrs. old. Things need fixing. At least Ferrari dealerships know how to work on their cars. Acura dealerships make most of their money working on rebadged civics.

Sure, there are guys driving '91's with 100k that say they have no problems, but their cars are leaking oil & clutch fluid everywhere and their Acura mechanics haven't told them their cars are screwed up becuase they don't even know it.

Acura dealerships (3 different "Certified" NSX techs) screwed me a couple of times. Example:

-Replaced the AC Control Panel for big $$$ when I could have gotten the capacitors replaced
-Replaced 02 sensor, didn't check out the cause of the problem, had to replace another 02 sensor. The problem was the leaky cam seals, which is understandable since the car is old, but the dealership NEVER even had any idea that was causing my sensors to fail. I had to go to a REAL NSX mechanic to get the problem sorted.
-Replaced the starter motor, it was just a loose wire, that's $1000 down the drain
-Told me that "all oil pan's 'sweat' like that. Bullshit, my mechanic replaced the seal. Could have cost me big $$$ down the road.

Then, I had an idiot back over my front end, and the Aluminum hood was harder to fix than most, so that was another $900.

I love the NSX, but I'm not about to get on the "bargain daily driver" bandwagon with everyone else. Unless your car is perfect, and you've had that verified by a independent shop that consistently has 5 NSX's being modded at a time, don't even talk to me about "Honda reliability". Yes, I drive mine EVERY SINGLE DAY, so it has to be perfect.

Fortunately, I knew that I wasn't buying a car for it's reliability. I was buying it for the handling, that's it. I could have bought a fully warrantied new M3, but they handle like barges, and I could have bought a few year old 911, but they just feel wierd. When I chose a 10yr. old car, I wasn't obtuse enough to believe that it would be reliable, or I would be very angry about all of these costs.

Short on Mods, long on "restoration"

Starter Motor $1000
A/C Motor/Control Panel replacement $3000
Relpaced all belts & hoses ? >$2k
Timing Belt $1500
ABS High pressure hose $400
2 O2 Sensors $1k
Tires $700

Cam Plugs
Reseal oil gally plugs
Vtec Spool Valve Gaskets
Oil Pan Gasket
Clutch Master Cyclinder
Clutch
Valve Adjustment
Valve cover gaskets
Spark plugs
Spark plug seals
New Battery
--------------
$5k

And because the stock NSX brakes SUCK >$1000 installed
+Comptech stainless steel brake lines
+Project Mu two piece slotted front rotors
+Hawk HPS Brake pads all around

Truthfully, the F355 is a great car, but it's not as good as a 360. :D
Here's my Dad's car.
360_001.jpg

360_002.jpg

MYNSX said:
"I think they just like saying they have a 4re"
Well you got the wrong person. I geneally DONT tell people what I drive.
Its prejudice to carry the attitude you have. Sorry dude your wrong.

Look at your avatar and your sig before you type :D

As far as the clothes I wear I generally am dressed in near rags ,if your implyiing I "hide " behind material possesions .Why dont you ask my fellow NSXr's what I drove to the last get together . "My Pick -up truck."

" I do think the Ferrari is a great car and most that own then only own then because its a Ferrari."

I dont care if the car said Volkswagon I'd still feel the same .I've never been a brand person.

OHMY, I think you taken what i said the wrong way. I wan't talking about you, I was talking about the car. Let me ask you this would spend 200K on a KIA that perform like you 355?

I don't care what kind of cloths you wear, I was just stating that people if they had a choice would rather spend there money on name brand cloths instead of K-mart cloths(nothing wrong with k-mart). Just like poeple would rather have a ferrari, not a kia.

If you reread my post i said most, and if your most then so be it...

Last edited:
slashmatt said:
I'd have to own my NSX for 10 years just to get to $1700 a month in maintanace, as I put $17k into it last year. Mind you, this car is a 1995 with only 25k miles on it, every problem I had is considered normal, and every other change, i.e. all belts and hoses is normal preventative maintanence. I'm not saying the NSX is "unreliable", but it's 10yrs. old. Things need fixing. At least Ferrari dealerships know how to work on their cars. Acura dealerships make most of their money working on rebadged civics.

Sure, there are guys driving '91's with 100k that say they have no problems, but their cars are leaking oil & clutch fluid everywhere and their Acura mechanics haven't told them their cars are screwed up becuase they don't even know it.

Then, I had an idiot back over my front end, and the Aluminum hood was harder to fix than most, so that was another $900...

I own two NSX's with high miles. One has over 116,000 and the other has around 84,000 miles and neither one is 'leaking fluid everywhere' like you say. I drive the cars all the time, so they get high speed exercise regularly and do not leak a single drop of fluid anywhere. If yours does, then your car has a serious problem.

As for the hood costing some money to get repaired, just because some goof ball backed over your car is not the NSX's fault. See how much a similar repair would be on a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Body parts are expensive for ANY exotic. It is just part of the game.

slashmatt said:
I could have bought a fully warrantied new M3, but they handle like barges

right, have you driven an E46 M3? or do you actually know the difference of handling between a civic vs nsx?

But sounds like your nsx is a pos, i would sell it asap!

Some of us in here should take a second to sit back, relax, and take an honest look at what is being said on this post.

The generalizations that are being made about Ferrari owners buying their cars for name appeal can be made about many people on here as well. There is nothing to be ashamed of in liking that a car has certain amounts of positive recognition and draw based on its name. Sure it is cool to own an NSX or a Ferrari. What is wrong with people looking at that and appreciating that you own a wonderfully unique supercar??

Also, I love my NSX's. They are reliable vehicles that I would not hesitate to drive across country in. That being said, I also will sometime in my life own an F355. Why?? Listen to it accelerate on wide open throttle from a stop to redline in the first three gears. Look at some of the design lines on it that are obviously inspired from emotion and art. Sure it might cost more to run daily, but it is not beyond reason when put into the context of buying a supercar. We all could have saved a lot of money and bought Honda Civics if we were ONLY concerned with low cost of operation, but we did not do that. Why? Because we deemed the added cost of operation of an NSX to be acceptable. The same can be said for someone buying an F355. The added cost of operation is acceptable based on that individuals levels of finances and comfort.

Modern Ferraris have come a long way from where they were even 15 years ago. With proper maintenance they can be operated reliably for several years, and several thousand miles. Every car has its quirks, and every car may have some added costs to operate. But we should sit back and think about what is being said about the F355 owners paying way too much for maintenance and service the next time we go to get an oil change on our NSX and pay TWICE what every other Acura owner does for oil filters and service. Sometimes spending the additional money is just worth it. :)

THonda said:
Yeah I get it, but did you factor in your F355 header problem you had when you are talking about how dependable your F355 has been. What did that cost you about? Over $5000?

It seems you have only owned your F355 for a short time, so basically all of your opinion is based on a rather limited "database"? Or you counting the data based on that replica lambo you owned?

I paid NOTHING as I mentioned in my post above for the headers the factory paid for everything. :)

In my NSX the tranny issue was paid for by me. :confused:

Ive driven my NSX 30k and 355 20k thats not limited in "data" as you call it.

What does the replica lambo have to do w/ anything ,(or are you just prodding?? ,if so "it won't work" LOL :p )the car was an investment and was sold the day I recieved it.I never even drove it.The cash went to pay off my Ferrari. :D

Meeyatch1 said:
Some of us in here should take a second to sit back, relax, and take an honest look at what is being said on this post.

The generalizations that are being made about Ferrari owners buying their cars for name appeal can be made about many people on here as well. There is nothing to be ashamed of in liking that a car has certain amounts of positive recognition and draw based on its name. Sure it is cool to own an NSX or a Ferrari. What is wrong with people looking at that and appreciating that you own a wonderfully unique supercar??

Also, I love my NSX's. They are reliable vehicles that I would not hesitate to drive across country in. That being said, I also will sometime in my life own an F355. Why?? Listen to it accelerate on wide open throttle from a stop to redline in the first three gears. Look at some of the design lines on it that are obviously inspired from emotion and art. Sure it might cost more to run daily, but it is not beyond reason when put into the context of buying a supercar. We all could have saved a lot of money and bought Honda Civics if we were ONLY concerned with low cost of operation, but we did not do that. Why? Because we deemed the added cost of operation of an NSX to be acceptable. The same can be said for someone buying an F355. The added cost of operation is acceptable based on that individuals levels of finances and comfort.

Modern Ferraris have come a long way from where they were even 15 years ago. With proper maintenance they can be operated reliably for several years, and several thousand miles. Every car has its quirks, and every car may have some added costs to operate. But we should sit back and think about what is being said about the F355 owners paying way too much for maintenance and service the next time we go to get an oil change on our NSX and pay TWICE what every other Acura owner does for oil filters and service. Sometimes spending the additional money is just worth it. :)

Finally someone openminded and realist.Well put.

Meeyatch1 said:
the next time we go to get an oil change on our NSX and pay TWICE what every other Acura owner does for oil filters and service. Sometimes spending the additional money is just worth it. :)

I don't pay twice what others are paying on their cars at my dealership for an oil change. Am I in the minority on this one?

slashmatt said:
I'd have to own my NSX for 10 years just to get to $1700 a month in maintanace, as I put $17k into it last year. Mind you, this car is a 1995 with only 25k miles on it, every problem I

Acura dealerships (3 different "Certified" NSX techs) screwed me a couple of times. Example:

-Replaced 02 sensor, didn't check out the cause of the problem, had to replace another 02 sensor.

-Replaced the starter motor, it was just a loose wire, that's $1000 down the drain
-Told me that "all oil pan's 'sweat' like that. Bullshit, my mechanic replaced the seal. Could have cost me big $$$ down the road.

Starter Motor $1000
A/C Motor/Control Panel replacement $3000
Relpaced all belts & hoses ? >$2k
Timing Belt $1500
ABS High pressure hose $400
2 O2 Sensors $1k
Tires $700

--------------

Truthfully, the F355 is a great car, but it's not as good as a 360. :D
Here's my Dad's car.
360_001.jpg

360_002.jpg

If you paid for O2 sensors he may have gotten you.
On 95's they are under and an extended warranty.
I had to go back to my dealer and get the $600, they had ripped from me back.

robr said:
dayumn! thats some expensive mobil 1!

At some other dealers people are paying that much for Dino oil changes.

Also: Slashmat,

Looking at your price list it looks like you got ripped off. For example, you say, " they sold you a new starter motor and it was only a loose wire." That would concern me!

I would find a different dealer.

Fisking Slashmatt's Responses

>>Acura dealerships make most of their money working on rebadged civics.
This is true, but Ferrari dealerships make most of their money working on rebadged FIAT's.

>>there are guys driving '91's .... but their cars are leaking oil & clutch fluid everywhere
So THAT'S what I slipped and fell on! Thank you. As my 1991 NSX has not leaked a drop of oil, tranny fluid, coolant or refrigerant in over a decade I thought my cat had barfed beside my car.

>>I had to go to a REAL NSX mechanic to get the problem sorted.
Kinda like going to a REAL FERRARI mechanic, or a REAL SAAB mechanic? You know, the people who fix the cars?

>>Replaced the starter motor, it was just a loose wire, that's $1000 down the drain
Did you ask why they replaced a known-good starter? Did you try and return the starter for a refund?

>>I had an idiot back over my front end, and the hood was hard to fix
This is DEFINATELY the Acura dealer's fault. I would sue for peace in our time plus a new home, powerboat and 114 SUV's. It's only fair!

>>Here's my Dad's car.
To sum up - My dad can beat your dad. Nanananananana.

MYNSX said:

It is not like you exactly had the most relaible F/I solution on there either. Didn't you replace your motor not too long ago?

Good luck selling your NSX though. It sounds like you dread having it around. Hopefully the new owner will appreciate it. Good luck with your 355. I am sure it is a great car too.

Back