• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Concept to Debut @ Detroit Motor Show

Don't fret yet! Hang on until 12/5. Apparently there's some information embargo going in with Honda and more details may be released. Don't forget the swapped front to rear rumor and that they first mentioned that the cars front wheels would be generating the power not it's rears. It will be mid engine.

Last edited:
I will be happy if it looks like the avenger car. Now just make it 400 hp and weighs around 3000 lbs or so and all is good in the hood, IMO.

Not a fan of electric cars, but if it will look similar to the Avenger's car, then its a step in the right direction.

Not a fan of electric cars, but if it will look similar to the Avenger's car, then its a step in the right direction.

Sorry, I should have clarified- the electric SH-AWD system is a hybrid system using a motorassisted V6 for the primary drive wheels, and electric assist on the non-primary wheels

in this case a V6 with a flywheel on it like the insight would drive the rears, and the fronts would drive on electric motors

Did I clear things up, or confuse things?

Sorry, I should have clarified- the electric SH-AWD system is a hybrid system using a motorassisted V6 for the primary drive wheels, and electric assist on the non-primary wheels

in this case a V6 with a flywheel on it like the insight would drive the rears, and the fronts would drive on electric motors

Did I clear things up, or confuse things?

Oh I see is that how all SH-AWD systems work or is this a new concept?

I will be happy if it looks like the avenger car. Now just make it 400 hp and weighs around 3000 lbs or so and all is good in the hood, IMO.

If all this is true, I'll be happy to have with what you said above too, except they need to update the front bumper/grill to get rid of the current Acura grill design. What do you think about MSRP? Less than $100K?

NSX: Avengers Assemble

According to an Acura dealer national meeting attendee's furtive report from the Aria hotel in Las Vegas, the new Acura NSX that'll reportedly be shown at next month's Detroit Auto Show will look extremely similar to Tony Stark's car in the upcoming Avengers movie. But wait, there's more.

It'll also be, according to our tipster, a "hybrid" — yes, you read that correctly — and "will hit dealer showrooms in 24 months." Also, it'll be AWD.

Now we want to see just how close it'll look to the Avengers car because, if you'll remember, Acura spokespeople told Autoblog that that car was nothing more than a one-off built for the movie. Likely true. But imagine that vehicle as a hard-top and we think that's likely what our tipster saw.

All we know is we're getting more and more excited for the Avengers movie. Oh, yeah, and also the NSX — although we're not so sure how that "hybrid" thing is gonna work out.

If any other national dealer meeting attendees want to chime in on this report, please email me — or comment below. And we'll even open up our pocketbooks — say, to the tune of $1000 — to the first person who gets us uncovered pictures from the meeting.

Yeah I agree they need to clean up the front grill a bit. I think the MSRP will be similar to the first NSX, probably around 80-100k in today's dollars. I can't afford that anyway but I rather see Honda price it high enough so that the new NSX will be exclusive, just like the first one to keep the rift-raft like me out of the market for about 10 years or so.....Until I can afford a used one :biggrin:

If all this is true, I'll be happy to have with what you said above too, except they need to update the front bumper/grill to get rid of the current Acura grill design. What do you think about MSRP? Less than $100K?

I can't believe how many of you don't even realize that "Tony Stark's NSX" doesn't even have headlights........

or are they a reenvisioned version of the pop ups!!!:eek:

acura-nsx-concept-avengers.png

Last edited:
Maybe Honda should hire one of the guys from Traxxas to design the car. It's sad how a toy company can come out with something better looking than anyone from Honda can design....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R0DMa8seF9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Me too, but even with aluminum body 3000 lbs is probably not possible with SH-AWD and the hybrid motors/batteries. More like 3500 minimum. It will still be a quick car. Think Cayman R or base 911 quick. This car will not compete with the GT-R or the LF-A.

I pondered if they were just going to CGI some kind of wild looking lights on the car for the film. Otherwise, I picture that gray area turning into clear plastic ... like normal headlights.

Interview w/ SuperCar Mention

Honda President and CEO Takanobu Ito
There’s been a new sheriff in Hondaville since June 2009, and he understands what we automotive media types have been whining about recently, regarding Honda’s design and technology malaise. Takanobu Ito assumed the presidency then and has ever since been yanking on the reins of the company to steer it away from the green/efficiency-trumps-everything direction it was wobbling in and back towards its roots as a manufacturer of high-performing, fun-to-drive, and environmentally friendly cars. Uncharacteristically charismatic as Japanese auto magnates go, Ito-san doesn’t mince words and doesn’t make excuses. His resume suggests he may indeed have the stuff to put Honda’s money where his mouth is, having stamped his passport as a general supervisor of motorsports starting in April 2004, and before that having served as Executive Vice President of Honda R&D Americas since 1998. Right at the top of the interview, Ito-san declared that upon assuming the presidency, he made it clear that he intended for Honda to regain the high ground in terms of fun-to-drive and technological innovation. The supercar to be unveiled in Detroit will certainly represent a giant leap forward in the former, and the tech on display at Twin-Ring Motegi on the eve of the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, suggests his troops have made a reasonable start toward the latter. Here are some highlights of our hour-long session.

Battery EVs versus hybrids: EVs make a lot of sense in compact and crowded Japan, hybrids make more sense in roomy America, where the Fit EV may prove to be as big an electric car as makes sense and as small a car as can be sold in reasonable numbers. Similarly, different types of hybrids will suit different vehicle types–IMA in small, low-priced cars, two-motor and SH-AWD hybrids in larger and luxury vehicles. Globally, he’s skeptical of Mr. Gohsn’s high sales aspirations for battery electrics, and agrees with most think-tank predictions that hybrids will grossly outsell EVs for the foreseeable future.

What went wrong with the Civic? Priorities got skewed. Ito-san takes full responsibility. That’s gallant, but he was serving as managing director of Honda del Peru when the big decisions were being made, so it doesn’t look like his fault. Steps are being taken to rectify the perceived deficiencies ASAP.

Acura-300x185.jpg

What’s next for Acura? Ito-san is not satisfied with the current performance of the brand in the U.S., though sales are strong in China and the Middle-East. He intends to make new products more unique and sporting. Look for the hybrid-electric Super-Handling AWD to figure in this renaissance, along with the supercar.

How will Honda cope with the strong Yen?
The company is redoubling its efforts to build vehicles in the regions that consume them for the most part, with a goal of 80/20 domestic/import sourcing as a natural currency hedge. Toward that end, in order to fully utilize Japanese production capacity the company is attempting to increase its share of local sales in the popular Kei-class minicar class with products like the N Box and N Concept cars previewed at the Tokyo Show.

racing-300x200.jpg

What about motorsports?
Honda still finds competition to be fundamental to its interests. Ito-san stressed that there’s no truth to rumors of an impending return to Formula 1, but the company competes (successfully) in a number of other classes, including Indy racing, which is attracting some stiff competition of late. Honda also won Moto GP’s “triple crown”–leading in the rider, constructor, and team points counts.

Iwamura-217x300.jpg

President of Honda North America, Tetsuo Iwamura

We enjoyed an equally open and honest conversation with Honda’s North America boss, and contemporary of chairman Ito, Tetsuo Iwamura. Both men joined Honda in 1978, and we have to imagine they are good friends, as their personalities, demeanor, and sense of humor seem quite similar and accessible to North Americans. Once again we lobbed in the hardballs, and Iwamura-san cracked away at them.

What are you doing to fix Acura? A new RDX and small sedan are on the immediate horizon next spring. Acura’s mission is to provide smart luxury that meets social needs, not just personal needs. The small sedan will share some platform architecture with the Civic but feature unique powertrains. The forthcoming supercar is a core element of Honda/Acura’s history and DNA, and will be sold as an Acura in North America. We will also hear news about the RL flagship sedan quite soon too.

Will the Ridgeline pickup continue? Honda’s only truck is an important model and there is no current plan to cancel the Ridgeline, and measures are being considered to expand its appeal. (There is also no word on the timing or content of its replacement.)

Toyota reportedly made radical changes to its Camry in response to the Korean competition. Has the Accord experienced any such delays? No. The Accord due next year is expected to be quite successful without radical changes made midway through its development, as it has been designed with full knowledge of the competitive landscape.

Acura-300x185.jpg

Why isn’t the Crosstour selling better? The problem is not with that this is too much of a niche product, it hasn’t been marketed correctly. Iwamura-san now believes that using the Accord name changed people’s expectation of what the car was. Subtle changes in store for the vehicle and a fresh marketing approach should change the sales picture.

What about those Consumer Reports jabs? For so many years the disparity between the competition and Honda in terms of quality, materials and technology was large. Now it is considerably smaller, but the world still expects great differences. Honda is redoubling its efforts to widen this gap again, and intends to add content and technology with minimal price increases.

Design has been a recent weak point. Are any changes coming in that area? No. Honda has a very clear design principle, known as mmmm–man maximum, machine minimum. Honda will continue to adhere to these principles and will not follow the mode of fashion. [That said, we feel the EVster and AC-X look considerably better than some other recent Hondas.]

Will North American production capacity increase to further reduce Yen-hampered imports from Japan? There are no plans to expand production to new locations beyond the forthcoming Mexico plant, but that plant and the Indiana plant have room to expand production somewhat, should demand warrant it. Meeting future CAFE targets will ultimately require more hybrids, however, and so Honda will need to consider building them here.

Nice that they've admitted the problems instead of all that BS covering Mendell was doing. They keep calling the replacement a SUPERCAR and Supersport I'm curious as to what they call "super" and 400hp or less is not going to cut it in this day and age unless they use trick launch control and gearing to get this car to accelerate in the 3 second range.

Honcho I saw you say expect Cayman R or base 911 quick problem is this car is supposed to priced around the GTR which is to say near the $100k mark. They're going to have to deliver better than that at that price. Price it around $75k and that's acceptable. Not great but acceptable. Also fuel economy needs to be closer to 40 MPGs freeway as most NSX owners get near 30MPG with an engine designed in the late 80's.

Honda is saying their serious. Let's see what new Honda can do

GT-R is kind of a hideous car. I'm sure the owners care worry the look of their car as they are passing everyone in the world in the outside lane.

I'm down with a small car, hybrid, under $100K and some serious performance. I believe Honda can do it. It doesn't, and it won't, outdo the GT-R or the LFA, but if Honda can come close with a Hybrid powertrain, this will be a huge step forward for both them and that technology. If they end up making another CR-Z that just looks like a Ferrari, I'll be looking at a GTR, a Corvette or... or stick with the original NSX.

Maybe Honda should hire one of the guys from Traxxas to design the car. It's sad how a toy company can come out with something better looking than anyone from Honda can design....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R0DMa8seF9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't know if I will buy the new NSX, but this toy car that does 100mph - Im all over that! Im guessing you may actually enjoy this electric car better than drive a real one

Back