• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Corvette Owner ENVYS!

Re: Corvette Owner ENVYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the downside to our exclusivity is the NSX is dead

I can assure that my 93 NSX with 280,000 miles is far from dead. She puts down 666 HP to the rear wheels and eats Z06s and ZR1s for breakfast.

I can assure that my 93 NSX with 280,000 miles is far from dead. She puts down 666 HP to the rear wheels and eats Z06s and ZR1s for breakfast.

i can't walk into a dealership and buy one new, can i? :wink:

i can't walk into a dealership and buy one new, can i? :wink:

I don't understand your point. You can pick up a well cared for pre-owned NSX for under $30K. Then send it off to Science Of Speed so Chris can work his magic. You'll get back a hand built exotic car that is not only superior to a Vette in any way imaginable but will also be one of the fastest street cars in the world. All for much less $$$ than buying a new ZR1 which will depreciate considerably the moment you drive it off the lot.

I don't understand your point. You can pick up a well cared for pre-owned NSX for under $30K. Then send it off to Science Of Speed so Chris can work his magic. You'll get back a hand built exotic car that is not only superior to a Vette in any way imaginable but will also be one of the fastest street cars in the world. All for much less $$$ than buying a new ZR1 which will depreciate considerably the moment you drive it off the lot.

that is clear. the point is the NSX died in 2005... ceased production. the Corvette did not. the exclusivity of the NSX led to its demise. the Corvette continued to live on because it was more attainable to the masses.

that is clear. the point is the NSX died in 2005... ceased production. the Corvette did not. the exclusivity of the NSX led to its demise. the Corvette continued to live on because it was more attainable to the masses.

Actually the 'vette lived on because more of the masses wished to atain one.

To this day I have never understood why the NSX didn't sell in huge (for its price class) numbers.

To this day I have never understood why the NSX didn't sell in huge (for its price class) numbers.

I'm kinda glad they kept the production numbers low on the NSX...it makes it so extra special and rare! Not one person at the airfield where I work, has ever seen one in person....but they all knew what one was! I love my vette more than my NSX, only because i've been a die hard vette chick since the 80's...but everyone where I work, loves my NSX more! I think because they are indeed so rare and honda's have such a reputation for staying on the road forever. :wink: I love having the option to drive the vette or the NSX each day....:biggrin: vette's will always rule in my book..pure raw, rumbling, growling power. :) :tongue:

I'm not an expert in Inflation but $90k+ back in 2002-2005 was a HUGE sum of money, a lot more than today's $90k for a GTR I think so for the masses it just was not an attractive deal. The GTR has undeniable appeal with it's pure HP and high tech gadgetry. Our NSX has a V6 with 290hp and cassette player deck. You can see why the GTR sells better at a cheaper price if you factor in inflation.

Hugh: I like your rationale but not everyone has that kind of forethought. The other day I was on Craigslist and saw a Z06 vette with 30k miles for $42 asking price! Talk about resale value ouchy! :rolleyes:

the more telling inflation adjusted price would be the 91 price of 60k which today would be a 100-105k car..back then scary money for a japanese auto.

I'm not an expert in Inflation but $90k+ back in 2002-2005 was a HUGE sum of money, a lot more than today's $90k for a GTR I think so for the masses it just was not an attractive deal. The GTR has undeniable appeal with it's pure HP and high tech gadgetry. Our NSX has a V6 with 290hp and cassette player deck. You can see why the GTR sells better at a cheaper price if you factor in inflation.
:rolleyes:

I can easily see where the NSX was a poor performance value over its last few years. I'm thinking about the FIRST few years when you could have an NSX for about the same money as a Porsche 911 Carrera 2, a car closely matched to the NSX in performance but more awkwardly styled, far more prone to undesirable handling adventures and much rougher around the edges. The NSX was also way less money than a Ferrari 348 but fairly close in terms of performance and style, and much more reliable. The NSX was a lot of car for the dollar for its first few years.

I can only conclude that the Acura label and ineffective marketing prevented the NSX from reaching its sales potential. I even question the issue of a "Made In Japan" stigma. Automotive literati already knew that Honda could produce revolutionary products. The Accord was a game changer in the sedan market and was wildly successful in terms of sales. But I suppose lack of snob appeal might have also played a roll in the NSX price bracket. Well heeled car enthusiasts seem pretty impressed with NSX's 20 years later, though.

Last edited:

Actually, I would say that the lack of any notable evolution of the car let to it being discontinued, not the exclusivity. Making a car for approximately 14 years, and only doing minor changes to the car is not the way to keep people buying it. If Honda/Acura had done what everyone else was doing and updated the car significantly with new models, the car may still be around today.

Using the example of the Corvette to keep this on topic, GM produced the Corvette in the C4, C5, AND C6 body styles during the NSXs production run. That is three TOTALLY NEW cars, while Honda/Acura let the NSX essentially go stale. That is why the NSX stopped being produced. No reason to spend $90k on a car when you could essentially get a super low mileage early car for $35k - $45k, spend a little money to convert the front end (if you wanted to), and have essentially the same car for the most part at half the price. If Honda/Acura had kept up by doing things like total car redesigns, and moved the power up with the pack to be in the 400 hp - 500 hp range, used some of their new technology like SH-AWD, I believe it would still be in showrooms competing with car like the Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911, and other sports cars of that caliber.

Last edited:
i think the only reason the NSX lasted so long was because of mr Honda. there was definitely no business case for it for a long time. competitive or not, it doesn't matter because Honda doesn't do horsepower and that is what sells... the NSX-R is surprisingly capable on the track against the big boys, i just finished watching it battle a Murcielago and Gallardo only to lose by overheating on the last lap. it killed the F360 and Porsche though.

trust me, i find the power severely lacking on the NSX... if i had gotten a C5 Z06 instead, i would be totally happy with the power. the NSX just feels better though.

Last edited:
i think the only reason the NSX lasted so long was because of mr Honda. there was definitely no business case for it for a long time. competitive or not, it doesn't matter because Honda doesn't do horsepower and that is what sells... the NSX-R is surprisingly capable on the track against the big boys, i just finished watching it battle a Murcielago and Gallardo only to lose by overheating on the last lap. it killed the F360 and Porsche though.

I 100% agree that Mr. Honda was the reason that car existed. Modern Honda/Acura cars do not have any soul. Sadly, most of what made Honda/Acura fun seems to have died with Mr. Honda. :(

Actually, I would say that the lack of any notable evolution of the car let to it being discontinued, not the exclusivity. Making a car for approximately 14 years, and only doing minor changes to the car is not the way to keep people buying it. If Honda/Acura had done what everyone else was doing and updated the car significantly with new models, the car may still be around today.

Using the example of the Corvette to keep this on topic, GM produced the Corvette in the C4, C5, AND C6 body styles during the NSXs production run. That is three TOTALLY NEW cars, while Honda/Acura let the NSX essentially go stale. That is why the NSX stopped being produced. No reason to spend $90k on a car when you could essentially get a super low mileage early car for $35k - $45k, spend a little money to convert the front end (if you wanted to), and have essentially the same car for the most part at half the price. If Honda/Acura had kept up by doing things like total car redesigns, and moved the power up with the pack to be in the 400 hp - 500 hp range, used some of their new technology like SH-AWD, I believe it would still be in showrooms competing with car like the Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911, and other sports cars of that caliber.

Very unique point and I would agree, if there was 2nd and 3rd gen NSX's then I think the car would be much more appealing to the masses. Even a small face-lift, some rebranding and minor HP bumps would keep it in the public eye!

Hindsight is always 20/20...

If this were NSX Prime during the 90's I'm sure none of us would be saying this about the car.

I'm glad the NSX production ended. We've got a limited pool of nice cars that a lot of us definitely feel proud to own. Maybe Honda will make another but honestly I'd love the new 991 911, Cadillac CTS-V Wagon, or a GT-R....variety is the spice of life and I feel the NSX fits into history of great sportscars.

Most Corvette guy's I have meet are very passionate about there cars. They talk about there cars to friends,family, neighbors, memorize all sorts of trivia and facts about the car, and often purchase other GM products.

Passion is important to the car brand, otherwise we would just see them a “transportation appliances” like a refrigerator. That is what Saturn brand was trying to become before it died (Bob Lutz's new book “Car Guys” gives an interesting internal view of a car company that has become almost completely dysfunctional). Even people who are not ”Car Guys” still consider the car they drive as more than just an appliance ( Honda are you listening?).

Marquee cars (Like the Corvette and NSX) are much more than just another car model to sell and try to make profit from. They invoke brand recognition, loyalty, free publicity, and heritage.. You cannot put a price on this and it is more valuable than any advertising.

This passion and image of a marquee car model has a powerful effect on people who buy other products from the company.

The passion of a marquee car model is transferred to automotive journalists who write about exciting cars and put pictures on the front cover of magazines so the magazines will sell. This adds to the brand recognition to sell other models in higher volume.

Possibly most important, the passion of a marque car affects the employees of the company making that car. I don't know much about American Honda, but it is hard to believe the employees get any more excited about making/selling an Acura ZDX than we do.

After purchasing my NSX back in year 2000, I decided to purchase a Acura CL-S (mostly because I was so impressed with the NSX). There was a new NSX on the showroom floor (it was there for many months before selling). It was by far the star of the Acura dealership. While sitting in the dealership, I observed just about everyone I saw walk in looked and often they asked about this car. The sales people treated it as a very special car.. Most Acura customers did not know what it was (how many GM customers don't know what a Corvette is?) but when they found out Acura make a exotic sports car I am pretty sure that elevated the brand in there minds even if they were buying a SUV.

Is anyone at the wheel of the Acura Brand today? If so I sure do not understand what direction are they trying to take it.

Didn't Mr. Honda die in 1991? So it is unlikely that he had anything to do with the car lasting 16 years. In my wildest FANTASY, if he DID live during that NSX span, I don't think he would have let the NSX dwindle for 7 years let alone 16.
Steve

Didn't Mr. Honda die in 1991? So it is unlikely that he had anything to do with the car lasting 16 years. In my wildest FANTASY, if he DID live during that NSX span, I don't think he would have let the NSX dwindle for 7 years let alone 16.
Steve

I think what was meant (at least what I meant), was that Honda was still riding on the momentum from Mr. Honda's inspiration for a while and just ended up letting the car get stale because there was nothing else of any real exotic inspiration in their line-up to compete as a 'halo car'.

I think what was meant (at least what I meant), was that Honda was still riding on the momentum from Mr. Honda's inspiration for a while and just ended up letting the car get stale because there was nothing else of any real exotic inspiration in their line-up to compete as a 'halo car'.

I bet ANYONE who had the prilvilege of seeing Mr. Honda's magnificent achievements displayed proudly at the Honda museum, all behind the beautiful glass pane engraved with his caligraghed "Dream" in Chinese character, would shake his/her head at the current Honda line-ups.
Steve

boat%20outside%20(5).JPG

boat%20on%20trailer%20(3)a.jpg

boat%20inside%20(5).jpg

boat%20inside%20(4)a.jpg

Back