• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Covid Vaccine

I get it,,, the horse to water thing....humans are quite stubborn until something personal hits them then the decision process become much more "fluid"....There are many younger folks who don't get very sick but are still spreaders...we need to clamp down on that vector...meaning more tests .....
Universities and colleges around the country have started testing every student months ago. This is to prepare for the January opening. 80% of students under 25yo who tested positive had little to no symptoms. Just imagine 8 out of 10 young people fluttering around spreading CV19 like butterflies. This is just college students. Imagine the rest of the country...

yep as a 58 yo I would rather get my antibodies from a vaccine rather than getting sick...

I am sorry for your loss.

Thanks. It was a long time ago.

She was a normal, healthy person who got sick and passed away in the span of 3 weeks. I think about Covid and believe that most normal, healthy people will be fine, but know that some will not.

Time will definitely tell about the vaccine and it’s side effects and durability. The whole impact on pregnant, on kids etc is a whole can of worms, too. I’m old enough (54 this Friday) to want the shot but have a 5 and 9 year olds who are not yet cleared for the shot.

I also think COVID is going to be here forever, joining the already large number of other human corona- and rhinoviruses. These virii make up what we collectively call “the common cold”. This one is more easily transmissible and more deadly than the others, and so worthy of vaccine development.

My fever dream is that we can collect surface proteins from a bunch of other viruses and finally make a “common cold” virus. Unfortunately, this work has been ongoing for decades with little result.

Give her a hug from your primates.....we really need to keep our elderly in a bubble....

Austin, TX has just broken its summer record for hospital, ICU, and ventilator patients. I'm fortunate enough to be able to 100% work from home, with the vaccine so close I'm just going to buckle down for a few more months and see basically no one but my GF that I live with, she's technically high risk so don't want to take any chances.

@Honcho I'm so sorry to hear that. :frown:

Thanks guys. She was late-stage Alzheimer's and in a memory care facility, but it was still very hard.

Just got my first dose of the Pfizer, scheduled for 2/4 for the second. Here's hoping everyone, old and young are able to get one of the vaccines in the very near future, and we can stop this horrific death count from climbing further. Wear your damn masks, and stay safe!!!

It is a tough place. That is where my mom is.

She did get her Covid vaccine a couple of days ago. No significant side effects so far.

This morning my mom’s blood sugar level was very high. She is at a hospital in Austin with hopefully just a treatable UTI. She had been tolerating the covid shot very well, not sure if her infection is related to the shot or her trip to the hospital a precaution after getting the shot.

We here in San Diego are starting group 1b. I’m a 1c, maybe elevated to 1b for work.

Thanks. It was a long time ago.

She was a normal, healthy person who got sick and passed away in the span of 3 weeks. I think about Covid and believe that most normal, healthy people will be fine, but know that some will not.

Time will definitely tell about the vaccine and it’s side effects and durability. The whole impact on pregnant, on kids etc is a whole can of worms, too. I’m old enough (54 this Friday) to want the shot but have a 5 and 9 year olds who are not yet cleared for the shot.

sorry for your loss.

My 70-year old father has been on a ventilator since December 15th. We almost lost him twice, Doctor said he’s made it this far because he’s a fairly healthy guy. He’s had multiple infections in and around his lungs. It’s been a tough month for everyone, the most difficult part is not being there when he wakes up before being sedated again due to setbacks.

we are praying and hoping for some good news tonight.

sorry for your loss.

My 70-year old father has been on a ventilator since December 15th. We almost lost him twice, Doctor said he’s made it this far because he’s a fairly healthy guy. He’s had multiple infections in and around his lungs. It’s been a tough month for everyone, the most difficult part is not being there when he wakes up before being sedated again due to setbacks.

we are praying and hoping for some good news tonight.

In sending positive energy and prayers your way.

#2 in the arm.....I'm now speaking fluent French and am having internal discussions with Bill Gates in my head...

.opt for the buttocks....

smart .....you should do a short video......

My father passed away last week. He got covid only a few weeks before the vaccine was released. Hopefully it will saves everyone else.

So sorry for your loss.....

So the 2nd moderna shot does give you mild flu-like symptoms of joint pains mild fever chills ect...best to predose yourself with Tylenol/nsaids....

@Haas sorry to hear about your father.

@docjohn I premedicated prior to the first dose. I’m up for #2 in two days and I guess I’ll do the same.

.so I'm now cross eyed and have hair growing on my palms..........otherwise all good....

I should be good then, I got that years ago from doing...well other things!

It really is heartening to read posts from folks here ready to do the right thing. I firmly believe in personal choice, but more people need to burn through all the mis-information being pedaled out there by people who should truly know better. I am a 1B'er so I am still waiting to get my date. My wife is a teacher and is in the same boat. Heartfelt condolences to those on here who have lost loved ones.

yep that argument is more of a "technical" exercise....now I would not take a big gun such as a Medrol dose pak ...but Tylenol and aleve which I took imho will not cause a significant reduction in antibody response.They target different aspects of the inflammatory response. Plus I had to work and be frosty...

Last edited:
Back