• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ctsc D.o.a.

Well, finally got my new Comptech supercharger installed. It spun fine by hand, and 2 minutes after being on the motor it siezed up. Took it off the car, won't turn at all. Going back to Comptech tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

Hopefully I will not get grief I painted the top, I just cut the plastic wrapping with a razor blade, made sure it was still 100% sealed, sprayed, and closed the top back up. A dust mite couldn't have gone in there. We'll see how Comptech handles this one.

Last edited:
oh man. I dont know what to say. That is devastating news.

I guess what Id expect given the previous thread is that they'll offer you a new blower at cost and give you a refund when the busted one is warrantied.

Id hit that offer myself.

BioBanker said:
oh man. I dont know what to say. That is devastating news.

I guess what Id expect given the previous thread is that they'll offer you a new blower at cost and give you a refund when the busted one is warrantied.

Id hit that offer myself.

Come on, the unit was brand new and this happened during the install. I expect more from Comptech:wink:

Well... I am assuming they added oil! I mean my installer is not new at this, he has done at least ten of these. Its being handled by Mechanics Direct in Lowell, Mitch is the guy that owns the shop and I have heard good things about him and had good previous experiences myself.

They are an authorized Comptech dealer themselves, and he was recommended to me by Comptech for the install.

They said the blower ran a few minutes, then they heard the belt making noise.. thought it was a loose belt, but turned out the unit had siezed. So they pulled it off and are sending it in tomorrow.

Mitch said this is the first blower he has seen do this. :frown:

Just so the information is correct, the supercharger and intake was inspected before installation. The supercharger on the bench was spun one full revolution and felt smooth. It was installed to spec and filled with the proper oil. The supercharger ran on the car for 3 seconds not 3 minutes then seized. Comptech is one of the best companys we deal with and I am sure the problem will be taken care of in a timely manner. The supercharger is being shipped to CA and will be inspected by Comptech on monday. A minor set back in the big picture of things.

Lashing was probably out of spec...
You didn't see any damage to any of the blades did you?
Make sure there are no shavings around the intake if you find any metal.
Also look at the housing to see if the blades ground against it at all.

I am sure that they will take care of anything that may be wrong.

TURBO2GO said:
Well... I am assuming they added oil! I mean my installer is not new at this, he has done at least ten of these. Its being handled by Mechanics Direct in Lowell, Mitch is the guy that owns the shop and I have heard good things about him and had good previous experiences myself.

They are an authorized Comptech dealer themselves, and he was recommended to me by Comptech for the install.

They said the blower ran a few minutes, then they heard the belt making noise.. thought it was a loose belt, but turned out the unit had siezed. So they pulled it off and are sending it in tomorrow.

Mitch said this is the first blower he has seen do this. :frown:

Yupp i delt with mitch personaly. There a great shop and do great work. They did my timing and installed my clutch for me. I would totaly recommend them. So I would think it was surely nothing they did.

we never spin turbos or blowers before they are on the car and have adequate oil pressure...

not saying that is what happened but, just a tid bit

cb
cbrdspeedfactory.com

cbrdspeedfactory said:
we never spin turbos or blowers before they are on the car and have adequate oil pressure...

not saying that is what happened but, just a tid bit

cb
cbrdspeedfactory.com

are you actually saying that you think spinning these by hand damages something? because that doesn't make sense to me... :confused:

Very, Very Sorry to hear about the SC.:frown:
I was looking forward to welcoming you to the FI Brotherhood.
I guess that will have to wait but I do hope not for long.

BEST OF LUCK

Turbo - I'm sure everything will get worked out just fine. As the first person to go through something like this, I know that my all my *ahem* troubles... have streamlined the process and now Comptech knows exactly how to get Autorotor blowers serviced ASAP. (you can thank me later :wink: )

To everyone else who has theories on the cause of failure - I think history has shown that a complete examination of the blower will bring all the answers in due time and speculation is not needed. Hopefully the repair timeframe will be short and at no cost to Turbo.

Good luck.

Zennsx said:
Painting of the SC could also cause catastopic failures.

I serioulsy doubt it as he masked everything off and painted at room temperature its not like he baked it in an autoclave to cure the paint.

PAUL M said:
Any word on what caused the failure?

Nope. Its been 3 weeks since my car went in, 2 weeks since the SC was shipped out. I really am having a hard time understanding the delay. It was overnighted to Comptech not last thursday but the thursday before... from what I understand after inspection by Comptech it was then sent to Autorotor... and that's the last I heard.

Its a bit frustrating as my car just sits in pieces while waiting for someone there to make a call. This was not something that broke 3 months after installation... it was dead upon install. I would think one look would show the thing obviously has a problem, and they would ship another out.

I was told by Mitch my installer that Comptech is currently out of stock on the superchargers. But I don't even know if I would have gotten one if they were in stock.

There is nothing I can do, I am sure they will take care of it but man this wait really sucks... If someone at Comptech is reading this and has any updates for me, I'd really appreciate it.

clr1024 said:
I serioulsy doubt it as he masked everything off and painted at room temperature its not like he baked it in an autoclave to cure the paint.

What?!!! is it bad to cook it at 450? :confused: I baked it overnight to make sure the paint dried. :biggrin:

That was a JOKE by the way Mr. Autototor inspector...

Not the news I was hoping to see when I opened the thread.

Did they offer you a replacement at cost until the other one is warrantied or can they not even do that because there is no stock?

That is hugely dissapointing.

They might have been out for a week for SEMA. That might delay the process. At least, that's what I was told from a third party since I haven't received some parts from them in 2 weeks.

TURBO2GO said:
Nope. Its been 3 weeks since my car went in, 2 weeks since the SC was shipped out. I really am having a hard time understanding the delay. It was overnighted to Comptech not last thursday but the thursday before... from what I understand after inspection by Comptech it was then sent to Autorotor... and that's the last I heard.

Its a bit frustrating as my car just sits in pieces while waiting for someone there to make a call. This was not something that broke 3 months after installation... it was dead upon install. I would think one look would show the thing obviously has a problem, and they would ship another out.

I was told by Mitch my installer that Comptech is currently out of stock on the superchargers. But I don't even know if I would have gotten one if they were in stock.

There is nothing I can do, I am sure they will take care of it but man this wait really sucks... If someone at Comptech is reading this and has any updates for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear that. I cant imagine how annoyed you must be.Especially after spending all that money. Im sure it will all work out in the end.
Best of luck
Paul M

clr1024 said:

I was joking... Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I'm seriously reconsidering purchasing a comptech after reading this. IMO There isnt any excuse for Comptech to drag their heels while your car is apart.

Last edited:
Back