• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC high boost and spray question

why are you quoting me? you should be quoting Snakey. I'm saying that if your Supra was truly 100%, the outcome would have been different.

ok. Gotcha.. just checking.

No disrespect intended as I know everyones personal set up is very near and dear to their heart and I respect your choices...It's just my and only my opinion that for SCCA/road courses id rather have a SC....For the drag strip or illegal highway battles then TT all the way

Snakey. One thing I've learned speaking with turbo owners is to not bring up lag (or other reasons that turbos might not be perfect in every way...if setup properly:wink: ) - though I obviously haven't learned enough since I am. I know lag exists, you know it exists, we both know that good setups can minimize it - they'll dismiss it as a reason someone might not want turbo (or will deny it outright) till the cows come home.

I don't understand the big deal. I don't want a turbo because of lag (or another reason), they don't want a (positive displacement) SC because they want more power (or for some other perfictly logical reason). I think both perspectives are valid...and that's apparently where I (and you) have gone wrong.

:biggrin: well......turbo "lag" is actually a componant of the engine compression, more than the size of the turbo.

I am interested to understand more the role compression plays in lag.

so with that is mind, even a LARGE turbo, matched to the engine properly will have little to no "lag"....

I can see how the amount/degree of lag is related to matching turbo + engine propertly...but I don't see how such could eliminate lag. Does properly matching result in the turbo spinning at the speed necessary to create full boost even when the throttle is closed (and has been for some time)? I was under the impression turbos slowed down when there wasn't a sufficient volume/rate of exhaust gas to drive them.

its funny, cause a turbo car typically makes more TQ than a SC car....that is according to Vortec, and we know what they make :biggrin:
I don't see how quantity of power/torque is related to lag being present or not.

FWIW, In my experience with both SC and turbo on the nsx, the lag portion of the curve ie: 2- 3500 rpms with a "reasonable" size turbo is not significanly different. Neither setup is making any real boost at those low rpms.

3.2 comptech with ctsc low boost (chosen at random from search)
dyno41407.jpg

comptech with high boost (chosen at random)
attachment.php

3.2 with BBSC

woody_8.5psi_dynographs.jpg

3.0 with lovefab turbo

CCI00002E.JPG

lets compare HP and torque at lets say... 3700 rpm?

My eyeball shows CTSC low boost HP = 175 TQ= 240
ctsc high boost HP = 180 TQ= 255

BBSC HP = 150 TQ= 210
lovefab turbo HP = 175 TQ= 235

Would someone please explain how turbo "lag" has factored into this comparison? The seat of the pants feel of the high boost comptech and the turbo would be indistinguishable at the 3750 rpm point and beyond that the SC boost is rpm limited and the turbo is already at max boost by 4100!

Not enough difference to fight about in the "LAG" portion of the curve

Last edited:
Back