• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Current ACURA Lineup

I visited the Acura dealership today due to the sales person called me and informed me the new RLX has arrived.

After checking out the car, I'm quite impressed with it. Although the look is not avant-garde like some European brands, but overall stance and proportion are right on the spot for a full size sedan. Has lots of high tech gadgets and VERY roomy in the back.

I can't believe I'm saying this but the current Acura lineup looks very nice. TL, ILX, RDX, MDX, TSX all look as good if not better than the competition.

The RLX is just another example that Acura is heading in the right direction.

I had the pleasure of driving the RLX when it arrived at my dealership this week. It is an AWESOME car. It is packed with many new features and technology that make the driving experience easier, yet fun! Lane keeping assist and active cruise control are just two of the many cool features on this car. On top of being extremely smart, it also looks outstanding. Finally, Acura is going in the right direction with their styling. I just can't wait to take one apart!!!!

I'm not feeling the new design language. The outgoing MDX looks better than the incoming and that got me to thinking "why?" It turns out that I don't care for the pronunciation of the wheel arches on the new models. The ILX is the worst offender of this trend, but over all the new models remind me of the outgoing Mazdas. To make matters worse, the architectural symbolism of these arches lends one to believe that these are rear wheel drive cars, when in fact, NONE of them are. So they have eliminated SH-AWD for P-AWS but now the RLX is a true FWD car again because of it, at least until the hybrid drive arrives. The styling is so-so. It offers more rear room than most its competitors, and that is its primary selling point?

Not a bad car, but yet again - Meh.

I saw it yesterday when I was getting my oil done. Looks good. It's a pretty big car. I was impressed with the gas mileage. 30mpg hwy. the interior looked very nice and all leather wrapped.

That all said, I would choose another car before spending 61k on the rlx.

I saw it yesterday when I was getting my oil done. Looks good. It's a pretty big car. I was impressed with the gas mileage. 30mpg hwy. the interior looked very nice and all leather wrapped.

That all said, I would choose another car before spending 61k on the rlx.

I agree with your comments. I hate to say this, but a smart buyer should probably wait a couple years for that deep discount Acura will then offer. I feel a bit guilty saying it because I'm a pretty loyal customer and seeing Acura keep putting money into this low selling car they deserve the credit of keeping it alive (i.e. Infiniti killed their Q45 way back when). This time they tried even harder but I don't know if it's just a bit too late to the party because this segment is already very much satuated, but hope it sells well...

Last edited:
i actually think it may be a little too early; if any car is going to revitalize the acura brand, its going to be the upcoming nsx.

until then i dont think too many will care about their unsuccessful products. it's not a bad car, but for a flagship, i really think it lacks that charisma and magic; especially in the looks department.

the new nsx, mdx imo have what it takes to be major competitors in its respective classes, but the new ilx, and rlx simply lack the sexiness and buzz. i'm not sure if its the tacky/plastiky/cheap looking front grill and bumper designs; but something is majorly lacking re giving that sense of presence their products need for a comeback.

call me crazy but i think the hyundai eqqus screams 'flagship' MUCH more then the rlx.

This time they tried even harder but I don't know if it's just a bit too late to the party because this segment is already satuated, but hope it sells well...

Last edited:
Another excellent engineering product let down by the designers.

It's yawn yawn boring looking.

I don't get why it's so hard for Honda to build a V8. They can make a formula1 engine but not a passenger car V8? For the RL/X? For their NSX? For their Ridgline truck? How come everyone else can build a V8 but they can't?! Mark my words... The RLX will do better but still be a sales disappointment.

Another excellent engineering product let down by the designers.

It's yawn yawn boring looking.

I would say the majority buyers in this segment are older and more mature so a conservative look is not always a bad thing. The unfortunate truth is that buyers in this segment cares more about the status symbol and the image of "Acura", "RLX" is just not up there yet when compared to the competition (or was once there but they lost it).

i would argue yes and no. the lexus ls400 flagship debuted (along with the brand) and sold like hotcakes while embarrassing the german premium brands (at the time). it was successful much like how the nsx was amongst its exotic peers upon its debut. consumers appreciated great products, and awesome value for the dollar.

the ls460 and eqqus are pretty boring and conservative; but still look nice enough to command the 'successful old man' feel. the rlx just looks... bland. the front end needs to be reworked.

i argue that a great product can make or break a brand. all a very respectful IMHO.

I would say the majority buyers in this segment are older and more mature so a conservative look is not always a bad thing. The unfortunate truth is that buyers in this segment cares more about the status symbol and the image of "Acura", "RLX" is just not up there yet when compared to the competition (or was once there but they lost it).

Last edited:
I loved my legend LS coupe...

- - - Updated - - -

I would say the majority buyers in this segment are older and more mature so a conservative look is not always a bad thing.

Really? Is that what they want? Acura wants to be the new Oldsmobile now? Because other than headlamps that's who they've designed for. Don't think the elderly care about "PAWS"... Which is a dumb acronym anyway.

Last edited:
There isn't a single Acura product that interests me at the moment. Maybe.......maybe the next gen MDX.

The new RLX will be a failure because it still doesn't have the V8 RWD platform of the other cars in it's class. While the entire Acura lineup has great technology features, there are still many people who want a bigger engine in a sedan. Look at BMW and MBZ. They offer multiple engine options for each model which appeals to a larger spectrum of buyers. I didn't like the new TL when it came out in 2009 due to the beak, however when it came for me to shop for a mid-size sedan I learned to live with it due to the other features that came with the car.

The RDX looks a lot better. Ill give them that. Although it's "better" compared to s car that was not exactly great looking.

i would argue yes and no. the lexus ls400 flagship debuted (along with the brand) and sold like hotcakes while embarrassing the german premium brands (at the time). it was successful much like how the nsx was amongst its exotic peers upon its debut. consumers appreciated great products, and awesome value for the dollar.

I feel that the 1uz and 2uz LS400's still screams flagship more than the our current gen RLX. Back then they were producing one of the most balanced V8 engines producing 280bhp,mated to a silk 5 speed automatic, and is still one of the smoothest riding car's I've driven. All this from a car built over 10 plus years ago.

With the NSX release, i saw it as a good step up to the competition, all aluminum chassis and suspension, electric power steering, titanium coated rods which are just some things that drew people in to even give the NSX a chance again the Italians.

And all Acura current can do is FWD V6 direct inject 310bhp with a 6 speed automatic transmission. Honda/Acura has been the biggest let down to me in the past 6-7 years, and i'm not sure if they will ever find their way again or lose their stubborn ways and EVOLVE with the time and build what the consumers actually want.

I don't get why it's so hard for Honda to build a V8. They can make a formula1 engine but not a passenger car V8? For the RL/X? For their NSX? For their Ridgline truck? How come everyone else can build a V8 but they can't?! Mark my words... The RLX will do better but still be a sales disappointment.

The answer is that they don't WANT to do it! Remember Gordon Murray begged them to do it for the McLaren F1 and they refused. Stupid Honda. The NSX and the RL would have been more competitive and sold better if they had done it.

I like the lineup but I'm anxious to see Acura get back into the coupe game. I've had my 1994 Legend LS coupe for 10 years now because Acura has yet to offer a newer alternative that I find attractive enough to buy. Until then, the Legend is a weekender and I'm now in a DD ILX 2.4 6MT.

its a nice looking car, and the only 7 seater in its class. if fuel economy is up to par to the competition it should sell.

There isn't a single Acura product that interests me at the moment. Maybe.......maybe the next gen MDX.

- - - Updated - - -

if acura is abel to knock out the flagship design out of the park; they should rebadge it as the legend. other then nsx and mdx, tsx, i dont think any of the 3 letter car names have been successful enough for these names to carry any weight.

I loved my legend LS coupe...

- - - Updated - - -

bingo. i recall sitting in one for the first time when i was 19; it was a far cry from my dads $h!tb@x chevy astro van LOL.

I feel that the 1uz and 2uz LS400's still screams flagship more than the our current gen RLX.

Current order of preference from Acura:

1. MDX
2. TSX
3. TL
4. ILX
5. RDX

The TSX needs the TL engine and SH-AWD - make that a 4 door R model and I think enthusiasts would beat the door down.

Acura's flagship still only competes with the mid-level luxury offerings from their competitors: the Lexus GS, Infiniti M, BMW 5-series, etc. and I still think the TL continues to overlap its market too much with the RL's. I think until their biggest sedan actually grows up and commits to being a flagship, it'll continue to be an also-ran.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZqqhRFNPQZw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting video on PAWS

Back