• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CV joint help

I've got my pass. driveshaft off replacing the intermediate shaft carrier bearing and found a bad inner CV joint/spider/roller bearings.
I spoke with Tim at Ray Laks Acura and got a princely quote of $293.21 for the whole joint (spider/rollers/case), he doesn't think one can buy the rollers seperately. Anyone know if this is true?
Can the rollers (3 square roller bearings) be purchased apart from the case?

OR,

Does anyone have a good used inner CV joint or driveshaft for the passenger side?

It is true you cannot buy these separately. Post in the "NSX Parts Wanted", but most will want to sell the entire shaft assembly, which may not save you any $$ overall.

HTH,
LarryB

My dealer just informed me that my passenger side inner joint is shot, and the drivers side isn't far behind it. This is a 1991 car with 26,000 easy miles on it, and they're talking about a $1200 job.

What gives? Is this typical?

Thanks for the info Larry.

I guess I'll have to cough up the Ben Franklins... this car has only been on my lift for about 7 months now. At least I'm keeping the miles off her. :)

How many rollers do you need, we may have some

Ktan;

I believe there are three per CV. I haven't disassembled it yet to know how many for sure. I'll do it tomorrow. What might you want for 'em?

Scott

There are 3 per joint (6 total) I know elite has a couple sets and he may be interested. Do you need all 3? I'll fwd your request to him, hopefully he can help you out

Probably bad road condition. I had replaced both the inner tie rod and both rear wheel bearing.
C_Spray said:
My dealer just informed me that my passenger side inner joint is shot, and the drivers side isn't far behind it. This is a 1991 car with 26,000 easy miles on it, and they're talking about a $1200 job.

C_Spray said:

I charge $145 to repair the right inner CV Joint(inner and outer boot replacement). The only thing needed is to remove the axle, and replace the boots and regrease it. EVERY NSX needs this with age. The grease breaks down due to heat, over time, especially the inner right, which is just above the front exhaust pipe.

Move on, this is robbery, and they are clueless. Sounds like they want to replace your axle shafts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nonsense. No way with 26K miles are they "shot":rolleyes:

HTH,
LarryB

Larry,

Thanks for the insight. The dealer has been good to me over the years, but you never know - personnel change, and many of the people I've worked with have moved on. As an alternative to their plan, I'd like to actually see the parts dismantled on a bench before making a call. Delray Acura (www.acuraoemparts.com) will sell the driveshaft assemblies for roughly 30% off, but will also sell individual driveshaft subassemblies, so I could just replace what is actually shot (if anything). There are also remanufactured driveshaft assemblies on ebay for $365 from a seller with lots of positive feedback.

Once I see it all apart, is there a particular grease that is best?

Thanks!

Chuck

Scott,

I spoke to Elite and he wants to keep them. Sorry if I was misleading, I thought that the extras he had were junk, I guess they are going on a different set.

Kevin

C_Spray said:
Larry,

Thanks for the insight. The dealer has been good to me over the years, but you never know - personnel change, and many of the people I've worked with have moved on. As an alternative to their plan, I'd like to actually see the parts dismantled on a bench before making a call. Delray Acura (www.acuraoemparts.com) will sell the driveshaft assemblies for roughly 30% off, but will also sell individual driveshaft subassemblies, so I could just replace what is actually shot (if anything). There are also remanufactured driveshaft assemblies on ebay for $365 from a seller with lots of positive feedback.

Once I see it all apart, is there a particular grease that is best?

Thanks!

Chuck

The special grease come with the CV Boot kits:wink:

HTH,
LarryB

Hey guys, I just had my drivers side apart.
How are you telling if the bearings are shot.
We could not see any problems or feel any problems with my two sets of three.
Larry, is there a proper grease that should be used on these other than what a dealer would normally use?
Here is my link to my problem, with pictures of the cv joint.
Thanks guys
Trev
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67627

Larry Bastanza said:
The special grease come with the CV Boot kits:wink:

HTH,
LarryB

Need I say more? 42017-SL0-000 CV Boot Kit

Regards,
LarryB

yes, you need to say more! lol
I dont need boots or a jacket either, even though it snowed today.
Harley sleeping today.
Just was wondering if it was a special grease other then cv joint grease.
Thanks
Trev :smile:

I would not reassemble the CV's without new boots. JMHO.

Regards,
LarryB

Well, thanks to the help from you good folks, my dealer has changed his tune considerably and is now removing/dismantling the driveshaft to see what's going on. The were somewhat stunned to find out that I was telling them what I would pay for parts, and where to get them at those prices.

Thanks, everyone!

Well, 2 weeks later, were back to where we started. They (finally) took the right side apart, and maintain that it cannot be repaired - only replaced. They also say that the left side "has play as well, and will not last much longer". I have told them that I want the area Service Rep involved in terms of any available goodwill (you have to ask...) and that I won't pay over 80% of list price for new parts (thanks, Delray Acura!). Has anyone used remanufactured driveshaft assemblies? They're available for $365 complete.

26,000 miles? Not happy....

Driveshaft is being regreased and re-installed. Joint rollers, grease - everything looked brand-spanking new. The dealer's (new) service writer now regards me with absolute fear. He insisted that the car needed BOTH driveshafts replaced and refused to discount the parts by even a penny. When I showed him the prices from Delray Acura (20% off) he said "If you can get them for that price, we will put them in for you." My reaction was calm, but "appropriate". I'll be meeting with the service manager (and possibly the general manager) later today....

If the forward/reverse "creak/snap/pop" sound continues, and we can't find anything in the suspension or subframe attachement, could it be the snapring? (It's a late 1991, and I will check the transmission serial # when I check the car later today.)

Re-packing the inner joint did the trick - No noise whatsoever now. (Thanks, Larry!) Now I just have to negotiate the $327 labor charge.....

Bad news is that the transmission # is 3851.....

This seems like a recent CV joint thread, so I will add here. :wink: For others searching in the future, there are other threads including: CV joint rebuild, I need to replace my CV joints, any clear DIY, CV boot leaking but not ripped, and quick question - CV boot replacement. The title of this thread seems appropriate for my issue.

I'm regreasing my CV joints, and on the driver-side driveshaft, when I disassembled the third roller from the inboard joint, I found a section of the inner race that is spalled:
IMG_0556_zps9wkrgvoj.jpg

So far, this is the only roller with any sort of damage to it; I still have three to go (the outboard driver-side joint). I know that the service manual and Kaz instruct putting everything back in the same position and orientation that it came from, but it seems to me that this is a poster child for when that is not the best approach. While I would rather replace this inner raceway, the part does not appear to be available new.

As an alternative, based on very helpful information from Prime, it appears that the Legend inner joint is interchangeable with the NSX inner joint: CV joint gone bad, and Axle/inner cup/tripod question. So finding a replacement from a Legend may be possible.

Of course, it's also possible to but a complete replacement driveshaft, but I see no reason to do that at this time.

Anyhow, I'm inclined to put the driveshaft back together with this roller flipped so that the other side is loaded, but I'd appreciate any thoughts that you may have. @Kaz-kzukNA1 @Larry Bastanza @Mac Attack perhaps?

There was a US company that used to sell upgraded roller assemblies on their own, can't think of their name right now. We're quite pricey, they wouldn't ship to me in the UK so I had to source used ones to replace the ones exactly like in the post above.

EDIT: Think it was Driving Ambition that sold the updated roller assemblies, not sure if they are still available?

Last edited:
I had to source used ones to replace the ones exactly like in the post above.

Thanks [MENTION=8378]NSXGB[/MENTION]. Did you buy a used NSX driveshaft from which to scavenge parts? I remember a post stating that Shad had stopped selling his driveshafts but maybe I will give him a call. It may work to buy a set of new assemblies from Insane Shafts, as most people seem to be getting good results with them recently.

Even though I never called directly to confirm with Shad, he stopped advertising the bearing conversion kit on his website a few years ago. Might still be worth a call, but IIRC, you can buy new Insane Shafts for the price of the bearing conversion.

Sorry Jason, if it were mine, I would try to source the Legend part or replace with the Insane Shafts. I understand about flipping it, but I just wouldn't be comfortable. I was waiting for a few others to write about their experience with the Insane Shafts before making that purchase myself.

Dave

Last edited:
Sorry Jason, if it were mine, I would try to source the Legend part or replace with the Insane Shafts. I understand about flipping it, but I just wouldn't be comfortable. I was waiting for a few others to write about their experience with the Insane Shafts before making that purchase myself.

Thank you Dave. I'm pretty sure I located a couple of used rollers (one more roller looked the same as the one pictured above, at the other end of the same shaft). And I agree about Insane Shafts being my likely next step.

It's strange that two of my rollers look like this while all others were perfect.

Back