• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer's having problems getting GTR's

ok I'm at Team Nissan of Oxnard right now. This car looks so much better in person. My friend got a charcoal color one. I'll post pics when I get home

There's an easy way to find out if a certain dealer is trying to sell your ordered car out from under you.

Call that dealership as a random customer. Ask if they have car X coming in because you are desperately trying to find that car and are willing to pay over sticker for it. Make sure it's a car you know you or a buddy has a deposit on. If they offer the car to you, nail them. Or you put a deposit on the car too and you and your buddy have some fun with them.

This GTR topic seems to be a heated topic on EVERY car discussion board so you have to give some credit to Nissan for being able to create this Hype. Whether the publicity is good or bad will be determined later as is evident by all these shady deals and issues being talked about here.

I'm no Nissan expert besides saying I bought a 95 Nissan Maxima SE (way back when it was a popular car) from Gerald Nissan (Naperville, IL). I'm not sure how they are handling this but I'm pretty sure they are a qualified Nissan dealer given Naperville's rich demographic.

I did make a call to my college town Nissan dealer and the GM who's a good friend of mine honestly told me they will NOT be selling the car since it's too much headache. As to what that means who knows but some Nissan dealers simply don't want to mess with this drama.

Personally I think the new GTR is a good technological breakthrough car for Nissan. I would not mind owning one IF (this is a big IF) they offered a manual tranny. A lot of my buddies said I was nuts to buy a 2004 NSX when that same money can roughly pick up a GTR. I told them even if someone flashed a GTR at MSRP to me, I would not buy it over my current NSX. The only reason I would buy one right now is to flip perhaps but definitely not keep the car.

Too bad Nissan has all this negative publicity but as they say negative publicity is sometimes the best publicity and the GTR is certainly creating quite a stir among EVERY car owner from a Civic owner to a F-car owner :)

gotta luv competition,
rick

Regardless, the bottom line is, the dealership is playing the game. Just like the NSX back in 1990, S2000 in 1999 with a giant waiting list; two three years from now, Nissan will be begging people to buy that car.

Contrary to what people are telling, if you don't pay, you don't get. It's hot now and if you must have it, you gotta pay to play.

this is so true. why should those people have to rush a GT-R now?

1991-92 NSX has snap ring issue. u like to pay over MSRP for some headache?
i also heard about 2000-2001 S2000 have more problems than late models.

i remember most dealers charging markup based on MSRP for the stupid NEW CIVIC SI in 2006. most of them have transmission problems. those buyers were all pissed off by that sick problem. i forgot the exactly time for the new CIVIC SI. correct me if i recalled it wrong.

those acura dealers charging over MSRP in 91-92 NSX. after that, they started to get poor sales on it. NISSAN will may have the problem. We will see.

o yeah, 350z. a lot of 03-04 models have suspension problem that will cause tires get worn out very quick. come on. people. be patient and dont rush.

A lot of my buddies said I was nuts to buy a 2004 NSX when that same money can roughly pick up a GTR. I told them even if someone flashed a GTR at MSRP to me, I would not buy it over my current NSX. The only reason I would buy one right now is to flip perhaps but definitely not keep the car.

rick

get a lovefab turbo for your nsx. make it 500 HP. then smoke the GT-R. those people will be silent forever.:biggrin:

So you're just pulling numbers out of your ass? I still don't see where you get the idea that every Nissan dealer is gonna get a GTR and that they're gonna be widespread like your everyday Sti and Evo.

Trust me, EVERY Nissan dealer will get one, and more after that; even the smallest dealer in Montana with only 40 cars on the lot will get one. Once the first initial allocation is sent, preorders are filled, smaller dealers will have their's.

This so called "trained" tech is just another method to hype up the car, to make Nissan more Prestige - Some thing they lost since the Z cars back in late 80's. Great Marketing sells cars!!!

I highly doubt my buddy who is in charge for NISMO USA distribution will give me wrong information. Yeah, he's the sucker who paid $47k for a fully decked out Mini Cooper S - You know those guys, they wouldn't buy the brand they work for. BTW, there are already report of transmission issues... Hmmm Interesting.

What's going to happen is, by end of 2009 early 2010, you will see the demand dies, and Nissan will revive it with the Spec V; even with that, the demand will be short lived.

Most of the GTR buyers are Japanese car owners. The Porsche/F/L owners will not touch it. And there are only so many JDM fans out there that can afford it.

ok I'm at Team Nissan of Oxnard right now. This car looks so much better in person. My friend got a charcoal color one. I'll post pics when I get home

Indeed it does look cool in person. Pictures? Like the one I took back in April?:wink::biggrin:

l_47b5a6954b60135ccaccf095bcfe811f.jpg

Last edited:
Vancehu-You are make some ridiculous speculations, assumptions, and contradictions throughout this thread. I would love to re-visit this thread in a couple of years to see if what you "foresee" actually happens. This is the first time Nissan has sold a car of this caliber in North America. Regardless of what you think, Nissan is requiring that dealers have their techs trained as one of the requirements in order to sell the GTR. I have posted an actual memo sent to all dealerships to validate this requirement. This is a fact. How is the "trained tech" hype? The technology behind the GTR requires additional specialized training, but you call this "marketing hype?"

Transmission Issues? What is your point about bringing that up? Yes, there have been some issues with the tranny reported in Japan with some of the early run GTR's, however, they have been quickly resolved with some software updates from what I recall reading. But this is a first year car and you WILL see some issues come up. Afterall, this is still a car.

If the porsche owners will not touch it, then why already have some porsche owners lined up to pick up this car, and in fact added it to their collection? If there are only so many JDM fans out there that can afford it, then why do you speculate this car will be as abundant as evo's and sti's? What exactly are you saying? I am thoroughly confused.

:rolleyes:

Vancehu-You are make some ridiculous speculations, assumptions, and contradictions throughout this thread. I would love to re-visit this thread in a couple of years to see if what you "foresee" actually happens. This is the first time Nissan has sold a car of this caliber in North America. Regardless of what you think, Nissan is requiring that dealers have their techs trained as one of the requirements in order to sell the GTR. I have posted an actual memo sent to all dealerships to validate this requirement. This is a fact. How is the "trained tech" hype? The technology behind the GTR requires additional specialized training, but you call this "marketing hype?"

Transmission Issues? What is your point about bringing that up? Yes, there have been some issues with the tranny reported in Japan with some of the early run GTR's, however, they have been quickly resolved with some software updates from what I recall reading. But this is a first year car and you WILL see some issues come up. Afterall, this is still a car.

If the porsche owners will not touch it, then why already have some porsche owners lined up to pick up this car, and in fact added it to their collection? If there are only so many JDM fans out there that can afford it, then why do you speculate this car will be as abundant as evo's and sti's? What exactly are you saying? I am thoroughly confused.

:rolleyes:

There are speculators, or "curiosity" about what this car is about. There will be "some" European owners will give it a shot, most of them will leave it alone.

Do you know when Honda introduced the NSX, there was a "NSX certified" tech as well, and only the NSX certified Tech was allowed to touch the NSX.

Synth. I'll make a bet with you. Let's say 2010/11, or possibly earlier, EVERY Nissan dealership will be able to carry the car.

In your opinion, what does a Nissan dealer needs to spend to have a GTR Tech?

I still think not all dealers will sell the GTR.

2697218604_9d2bba2f08.jpg

2697219134_26877db48f.jpg

46 miles on the clock.
2696403993_7ba1c72600.jpg

^please threaten to call Nissan America or something to report them. Dealerships HATE having bad customer reviews getting back to the home office. They are lying and sold his car. Make it hell on earth for them please.

nissan doesn't care if customers call corporate and bitch over and over and over and over and over and over.......

ask any altima owner :wink:

We can't just assume someone with a 500whp will "smoke" a GTR. I'd like to see an actual GTR face a boosted NSX on the track to get some REAL results and times.

this is the reason i said it. let me explain it.

is 500 WHP nsx faster than a corvette c6 z06?

i have seen a video between GT-R and c6 z06 on youtube. they tried several times. z06 is faster than GT-R in all the runs. what if 500WHP nsx vs GT-R????

but corning depends on driver and car. hard to say which one will be faster.

people usually look at those paper number like 0-60 in xx seconds, 0-100 in xx seconds. and horsepower+torque.

Last edited:
this is the reason i said it. let me explain it.

is 500 WHP nsx faster than a corvette c6 z06?

i have seen a video between GT-R and c6 z06 on youtube. they tried several times. z06 is faster than GT-R in all the runs. what if 500WHP nsx vs GT-R????

but corning depends on driver and car. hard to say which one will be faster.

people usually look at those paper number like 0-60 in xx seconds, 0-100 in xx seconds. and horsepower+torque.

I Like to think the Nurburgring time matters, however, it is a shame that they don't have "sector" timing. This way, you can tell which car actually handles better. Heavy weight cars such as GTR, or even the NSX replacement have all the gadgetry to help the car corner, but is it really that much faster than let's say a good old fashion rear drive stock NSX R? According to Top gear, the car Clarkson drove registered 1.04G. The Zanardi edition in one of the old article registered .99G, but that's not a Type R.

Hmmmm...I don't see what the hype is - the car is still fugly even if it performs well (anyone can make a car fast but does it have style?).

Did anyone see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSoAHcNegU

Regardless, we have seen alot of GTR's brought into the UAE that were destined for the U.S. I know this as one of our club members just took posession of his and we got to sit in it on Tuesday night (Silver w/dark rims). Did you know that the early "preferrential ordered" cars were given a special plaque and the cars made with special gold trim on the door sills? Crazy...

GTR's are selling for a premium here in Dubai at 430,000AED - full option which equals $117,105 U.S. and they are not even available mass market yet...

Definately coming from the U.S. market allocation as they are in MPH...

Last edited:
Hmmmm...I don't see what the hype is - the car is still fugly even if it performs well (anyone can make a car fast but does it have style?).

Did anyone see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSoAHcNegU

Regardless, we have seen alot of GTR's brought into the UAE that were destined for the U.S. I know this as one of our club members just took posession of his and we got to sit in it on Tuesday night (Silver w/dark rims). Did you know that the early "preferrential ordered" cars were given a special plaque and the cars made with special gold trim on the door sills? Crazy...

GTR's are selling for a premium here in Dubai at 430,000AED - full option which equals $117,105 U.S. and they are not even available mass market yet...

Definately coming from the U.S. market allocation as they are in MPH...

that's the video what i am talking about. z06 killed GT-R.
LOL. i feel its front part is ugly . R34 front end looks better.

Here you go, just came in tonight - 1 GTR, last car on with one empty space in between. Driver mentioned that he has delivered 18 GTRs and that the space behind them is always empty. The reason it is empty is damage occurs to the GTR when it tries to pass that position. I'll be there at 9AM tomorrow to see exactly how long it takes to inspect. I was told that each hauler has an inspector following it and nothing is unloaded until the inspector says it's okay. In addition, he videos the loading and unloading and only the owner of the dealership or certified tech is allowed to drive the car once unloaded.

Last edited:
only the owner of the dealership or certified tech is allowed to drive the car once unloaded.

So if the owner of the dealership happens to be a tool and couldn't tell a car from his left shoe, your car is hosed...:wink::tongue::biggrin:

So today I inquired with my local dealership to see if I could get on the list for a GTR at msrp for sometime in the future. The GM pretty much said I was SOL. He even had a couple of spots (including one which I could spec myself). Anyway, if I really wanted one, I could pick up the titanium silver that was coming in next week. Oh, and all of his GTRs at both his North and South dealerships are being sold at $90k.
No thanks

GT-R just ran an 11.1 @124mph with a standalone i saw on the web.

Also to Vancehu;

Not EVERY dealership will sell the GT-R because its there decision to. A smaller nissan dealership i was at didnt even carry 350z's based on the location and market of the area. I could order one...

however as some have pointed out you need to be a certified dealership which you seem to not get so i will point this out.

The dodge viper can only be sold at certified dealerships because of the equipment(electronics) used to service them. I do not recall what it is but more than one person has told me this now. Also certain engines in vipers can only be rebuilt by Dodge themselves as they are a SPEC block. Therefore maybe nissan is doing the same thing??????

Also to Vancehu;

Not EVERY dealership will sell the GT-R because its there decision to. A smaller nissan dealership i was at didnt even carry 350z's based on the location and market of the area. I could order one...

however as some have pointed out you need to be a certified dealership which you seem to not get so i will point this out.

The dodge viper can only be sold at certified dealerships because of the equipment(electronics) used to service them. I do not recall what it is but more than one person has told me this now. Also certain engines in vipers can only be rebuilt by Dodge themselves as they are a SPEC block. Therefore maybe nissan is doing the same thing??????

That's just absurd.

Domestic and Import car manufactures have a very different approach. Tell me, have you ever work for a car company, or a dealership, or have a close friend who worked in a dealership as a mid/high level management? I have done all three and yes, one of my best friend works at Nissan Corporate.

Nissan is not Dodge, a car dealership network with one of the worse product support. Dodge Viper has been around for a very long time, almost 20 years long and their production status is not much better than the NSX of 2005.

Nissan dealers does not make the decision on allocations of vehicles. Unlike European cars manufactures, they don't have massive options to make things complicated.

Please indicate the Nissan dealership you're talking about.

If a dealership has a track record of having problem selling the 350Z, they will get the allocation based on previous year sales. It is absolutely impossible for a Nissan dealer NOT to have sell 350Z in any given year. Therefore, if they sold one 350Z in 2006, and the allocation in 2007 will be just one car. If that one 2007 allocation was sold months ago, they will not get any more through "auto" allocation system. They can still request a car if they have a buyer. Just ask the dealership you're talking about if they received a 350Z this year? If the answer is no, they're full of shit.

A dealership is NOT stupid, if a Nissan dealership, or any dealership can sell a car for $30 plus grand over the Internet (and make $40 grand or more) and have the car shipped to any part of the world. Nissan will take dramatic action with these dealership; they are like a unproductive employees and either Nissan will cut them loose or help them make the situations better.

There is a myth about the GT-R. It is a Nissan, not a NASA space shuttle. Other than visual inspections, new software from a CD/DVD loaded through OBDII systems will give any car dealership the tool of diagnostic.

theyre lieing about the one to a trailer thing, i ordered 5 gt-r's and they all came on the same truck:eek::rolleyes::cool::redface::biggrin::frown::redface::smile::confused::tongue::eek::wink::mad::smile::eek::wink::biggrin:

Got any pics of your delivery? Sure would like to see to end this debate once and for all.

Back