• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do I have the oldest Timing Belt??

I just got my NSX back from Davis Acura in Pennsylvania (great people and great service by the way) I had them do the 60k service which included the timing belt. I have a 1991 with 70,000miles on it and Bernie pulled the old timing belt out of it. I asked the service manager about the condition of the belt and he said "the belt looked fine." I was losing sleep over the belt because I thought it was near death, so I had it replaced. I was expecting to see it close to breaking or at least stressed. Honda must of used one hell of belt to have it last that long. Anyways, I am glad I had it replaced because now everytime I hit 8,000 RPM I'm not scared of bending any valves. Bernie did a great job and I am very pleased with his work.

Does anybody else have a older Timing Belt???

Thanks for any input,
Mike

Take the old belt and turn it inside out. Squeeze the belt in a tight "U" shape then look right next to the teeth where they connect to the belt. Are there any cracks visible? That is usually where the belt shows signs of wear. The belt usually doesn't break, the teeth will eventually strip off.

Bernie and Davis are great. I'm lucky to live so close to them.

The problem with the timing belt is that you really can't tell the condition by "looking at it."

Unfortunately, there's no reasonable non-destructive test that one can perform on it. That's why Honda has been probably fairly conservative (as they should be) on the replacement schedule.

-Jim

Vytas: I left the belt back at Davis Acura, I just asked the service manager how the belt looked. I assume he did that test to it.

madfast: I had a boat load of work done at Davis Acura totaling at $2535.97. I'll break it down for you though.

Replace upper windsheld molding - 45.00

Convert A/C system to R134A - 227.45

Install Dali window fixies & lube - 474.00

Spark plugs - 158.30

Fuel Filter - 59.95

Timing belt package - 1142.72

Adjust Valves - 114.00

Misc parts and fluids - 65.80

They have great customer service and a very nice and knowledgable people.

I hope this helps,
Mike

Wow, that's great pricing on those parts/services. I spent around $120 for the windsheld molding, if I recall..

Enjoy your car!

>>Install Dali window fixies & lube - 474.00

HUH?! This is at worst a 2 hour job and the parts cost under $20 - I hope you're not paying $225 an hour labor! Any specifics on your invoice?

Convert A/C system to R134A - 227.45 .:eek:

The retrofit kit to convert your AC runs about 35bucks at your local parts store and can be done in about an hour by almost anyone

My timing belt was "supposedly" replaced at 60k, but it was not. Therefore, I am going on 58,000 miles on a 91 with the original timing belt (it's being replaced right now though by Neil Miller at Rick Case Honda).

I'm also getting new cam seals, and a valve adjustment, water pump and TDC. Total is around $3500. I don't know if thats alot or not...

Davis Acura Prices

Soichiro: I purchased the parts from Mark Johnson and had Bernie install them. They told me that prying the doors off is a real pain. The price also included a window alignment and lube. It did also seem a little high to me too.

ANYTIME: They charged me for (2) R134A Freon $39.14
(1) Retrofit Kit A $69.81
Labor was $118.50
They also replaced O-Rings

Thanks for your Input!!!

-Mike

For the guys with '91s...Was your car covered by the water pump recall and if so how much did/does that reduce the cost for the timing belt replacement? Davis sounds like they were alright with you bringing the parts, but why not just offer a 'similar' discount and at least make something off the parts? Thoughts?

I have a 92 with 96k miles, and it's for sure the original timing belt. I was planning to get it changed, but at this point it's not worth it...the engine won't be in the car long enough to justify it.

SR

i ran into a guy yesterday with a '91 with 84k miles. just replaced his timing belt. in fact he had his original timing belt sitting in the passenger seat. it looked great. no wear, no cracks, no missing teeth. makes me feel a little better about my '94 with 50k miles.

I just got my NSX back from Davis Acura in Pennsylvania (great people and great service by the way) I had them do the 60k service which included the timing belt. I have a 1991 with 70,000miles on it and Bernie pulled the old timing belt out of it. I asked the service manager about the condition of the belt and he said "the belt looked fine." I was losing sleep over the belt because I thought it was near death, so I had it replaced. I was expecting to see it close to breaking or at least stressed. Honda must of used one hell of belt to have it last that long. Anyways, I am glad I had it replaced because now everytime I hit 8,000 RPM I'm not scared of bending any valves. Bernie did a great job and I am very pleased with his work.

Does anybody else have a older Timing Belt???

Thanks for any input,

Mike

I'm brand new on this site and not great with the computer so I hope this gets posted I have a 93 NSX with 15,000 miles on it, orginal owner and very concerened about the belt and wondering about a water pump recall I've seen a little about. The car was in N Jersery until the last 6 years and is now in Fl. I'm looking for any and all advice and also a good place here in Fl to get the belt replaced if needed and I think to be safe I should have it replaced. Can anyone give me any help/advice or even someone in my area that might be able to dirrect me to a good dealer/indepentant shop, thank you, John Bossolt

The timing belt should be changed after nine years IIRC, regardless of mileage!

Oh, and this is about as old a thread as I've seen in a long time.:wink:

I'm brand new on this site and not great with the computer so I hope this gets posted I have a 93 NSX with 15,000 miles on it, orginal owner and very concerened about the belt and wondering about a water pump recall I've seen a little about. The car was in N Jersery until the last 6 years and is now in Fl. I'm looking for any and all advice and also a good place here in Fl to get the belt replaced if needed and I think to be safe I should have it replaced. Can anyone give me any help/advice or even someone in my area that might be able to dirrect me to a good dealer/indepentant shop, thank you, John Bossolt

Where are you located in FL? If near Orlando, you've got to use www.first-class-automotive.com

This thread is so old it needs a TB/WP change too.:biggrin:

John WELCOME!! Sounds like a nice low mileage car!!

You are right to be VERY concerned about the belt/pump.

Get your belt and water pump both replaced BEFORE you drive the car again. Seriously.

I am now sufficiently concerned about my '94 with 56k miles on the original timing belt that I called around for prices today. The local Honda dealer - no Acura dealers nearby - gave me a price of $875 for timing belt, water pump, drive belt and seals. Sound good? Should I be concerned that Honda, not Acura tech is doing the work?

I would not be too concerned about Honda vs. Acura,

But I would be concerned about the price. It is way too low.

Here is the minimum parts list and pricing(list) for PARTS ONLY:

14400-PR7-A01 1 Timing Belt 179.36
91318-PY3-000 1 Oil Pedestal Gasket "8" 9.95
12030-PR7-010 2 VC Gasket Set 112.92
90471-580-000 2 Crush Washer 8mm 2.88
19200-PR7-305 1 Water Pump/Timing Cover Set 281.36
90401-634-000 1 Timing Bolt Cover Seal 2.10
91302-GE0-000 1 O-Ring, Dip Stick 2.02
14510-PR7-A01 1 Belt Tensioner Pulley 125.05
15400-PL2-315 1 Oil Filter 13.28
Fluids: Coolant/Oil 85.00

Total 813.92

Oh, Alt and A/C drive belts add: $37

So what are they leaving out, and does the pricing include labor? Even with a good discount, something is not right with their pricing. There is no way the labor is $25:).

So I guess I would be concerned about their experience level with doing this job.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Thanks, makes me wonder too :eek:

I just called an Acura dealer and they're about twice what the Honda guy wants but will negotiate. Tough economy.

I havent got around to changing my timing belt yet, i've got 98k on my na1. When i dropped out the motor at 74k to replace the clutch i checked the belt and it looked flawless. But its getting changed here shortly when my new water pump arrives.

Back