• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drifted into a pole tonight. =(

Wow, just seeing this now. Glad you are OK Kevin. If you need advice with ICBC email me, I highly doubt they will allow different parts.

i grew up in colorado and drove mg's 240z's and corvettes through the snow. however, these were on old relatively old fashioned tires. The fact is an s2000 or nsx on bridgestone summer tires is not a fun experience in the snow. the tires are great in the summer but will kill you in the snow.

^That is a scary situation, for sure, and you did the best you possibly could. I'm sorry your NSX got damaged. :frown: I'm glad you're okay and really hope you win the fight against the ticket.

...On Oct. 3, 2009, my boyfriend and I were in Colorado driving our S2000s in light rain that became light snow, on a two-lane road (Hwy 550) . There was nothing we could do as the road climbed to higher elevations, but go slow, with our flashers on, and find the first turn-out, to turn around and go back to Durango. The turn-out was slippery and our cars were spinning their tires to get back to road, although we never slipped on the road. We were lucky we didn't have an accident. I've never been so scared driving a car.

I know the area you're talking about - was up there last year skiing at Pagosa Springs. We tried to drive through the pass from Pagosa to Wolf Creek in 2 SUVs (no way I'm taking the NSX up there from Texas!) and had to turn around b/c of snow. Knew that if it kept up we'd be stuck on the wrong side of the mountain with the pass snowed over. Sucks I didn't get to ski (especially since I'd missed the first day due to a stomach bug) but at least we made it for the last day of our lift tickets and everyone was okay.

Glad nothing happened to you or the cars!

I know the area you're talking about - was up there last year skiing at Pagosa Springs. We tried to drive through the pass from Pagosa to Wolf Creek in 2 SUVs (no way I'm taking the NSX up there from Texas!) and had to turn around b/c of snow. Knew that if it kept up we'd be stuck on the wrong side of the mountain with the pass snowed over. Sucks I didn't get to ski (especially since I'd missed the first day due to a stomach bug) but at least we made it for the last day of our lift tickets and everyone was okay.

Glad nothing happened to you or the cars!

We ended up going that way, after getting back to Durango, east on 160 through Pagosa Springs. There was snow on the road sides at Wolf Creek Pass but the road was clear. Phew! :smile:

IMG_5384WolfCreekS2000s.jpg

^That is a scary situation, for sure, and you did the best you possibly could. I'm sorry your NSX got damaged. :frown: I'm glad you're okay and really hope you win the fight against the ticket.

...On Oct. 3, 2009, my boyfriend and I were in Colorado driving our S2000s in light rain that became light snow, on a two-lane road (Hwy 550) . There was nothing we could do as the road climbed to higher elevations, but go slow, with our flashers on, and find the first turn-out, to turn around and go back to Durango. The turn-out was slippery and our cars were spinning their tires to get back to road, although we never slipped on the road. We were lucky we didn't have an accident. I've never been so scared driving a car.

Wow, those pictures look scary. Glad you were able to turn around ok.
I've driven an MR2 and 300zx in the snow when I had those as daily drivers and didn't have snot tires on em. I would never drive my nsx in the snow. It was bad on my part for not looking at the forecast. I've always managed to get by fine though by maintaining a slow and steady speed and not making any sudden movements. It was unfortunate I had to in this case, and the summer tires didnt't help either.

I'll keep you guys updated with the outcome of the ticket and the next steps I'm going to take to have the car fixed.

I just looked at the pictures and my expert advice is that is will buff out with some hardcore Carnuba wax. J/k

it actually looks worse than it is. going by the pics

new front bumper including the lip, lower and upper bumper, new corner guards, possible foam in the bumper, acura emblem, bumper turn indicator
headlight/ headlight cover, hood, and I would just get a new fender as some autobody shops do better work than other when tring to save a fender that is.

and paint.

and then dealing with the Post Dramatic Stress from all this

your on your own with that one.

Hahaha, thanks Shawn. If I get too stressed I'll PM you for some trauma counselling.

I have to assume scuff on driver headlight cover and next to it on the hood are from getting under one or two of the cables. I'm assuming you were facing near perfectly at them when you hit...and the pole helped rotated you farther before you stopped.

Ok, that totally makes sense! Thanks! Now I can stop scratching my head!

Wow, those pictures look scary. Glad you were able to turn around ok.
I've driven an MR2 and 300zx in the snow when I had those as daily drivers and didn't have snot tires on em. I would never drive my nsx in the snow. It was bad on my part for not looking at the forecast. I've always managed to get by fine though by maintaining a slow and steady speed and not making any sudden movements. It was unfortunate I had to in this case, and the summer tires didnt't help either.

I'll keep you guys updated with the outcome of the ticket and the next steps I'm going to take to have the car fixed.

Why did the MR2 and 300ZX handle the snow better? Tires? Car balance? :confused:

I have to add that I knew we were going to have bad weather because it was predicted. I didn't want to attempt the drive at all, but my boyfriend did. I had to convince him that we needed to turn around. He lived in Colorado for many years and since he knew how to drive snow, I think he forgot that RE050s on a rear-wheel drive weren't the same as what he was used to. I think he'll listen to my opinion a little better, if we have a similar situation again. :wink:

Last edited:
Why did the MR2 and 300ZX handle the snow better? Tires? Car balance? :confused:

I have to add that I knew we were going to have bad weather because it was predicted. I didn't want to attempt the drive at all, but my boyfriend did. I had to convince him that we needed to turn around. He lived in Colorado for many years and since he knew how to drive snow, I think he forgot that RE050s on a rear-wheel drive weren't the same as what he was used to. I think he'll listen to my opinion a little better, if we have a similar situation again. :wink:

I wouldn't say those two cars handled better in the snow. I only driven them in the city at steady speeds and both had summer tires. I was careful. Only reason why I lost control of the NSX is because of the quick braking I did to avoid a collision. If I didn't have to I'm sure I would have made it home fine as the I felt fine on the road at the speed I was going and staying in the same lane.

I wouldn't say those two cars handled better in the snow. I only driven them in the city at steady speeds and both had summer tires. I was careful. Only reason why I lost control of the NSX is because of the quick braking I did to avoid a collision. If I didn't have to I'm sure I would have made it home fine as the I felt fine on the road at the speed I was going and staying in the same lane.

Remember that when you talk to the judge. You were under control! The person sliding into your lane was not.

Hey, I just read this post today. I'm just glad you're okay.
Doesn't matter where you are or what you're driving when it snows and near freezing..it's white knuckle driving because it's the other drivers you have to worry about!
Look forward to seeing pics of your new look!

Firstly, glad you're alright and good luck with the repairs & ticket.

I've driven an MR2 in more snow than I would have liked on a number of occasions. Honestly what helped me was the skinny, tall-ish profile tires (195/55 f 205/50r sumitomos in my case). I could take them down to 20-25lbs and and actually manage pretty good grip on anything short of sheet-ice.

If you ever get really caught out, de-airing the tires can help a bit since it gives you more compliant surface contact. That said, it really doesn't work well with wide, low-pro, stiff-sidewall tires.

I took a bus down to Seattle tonight. Roads were clear. I dropped my car off to Ravi for a vrh kit on Sunday, so I went back to get her. The vrh kit is awesome. A must for all nsx's. Thanks for the install Ravi.

As I was driving back home roads got wet. Then turned to packed snow around Bellingham. Must have snowed earlier. I had my hazards on and was going 25 miles or so. Should have went slower. I was in the left lane. Tried a few times to get to the right lane but couldn't car was sliding around so I continued straight. A car is coming up on my right and seemed to be going fairly quick. Over takes me and we go into a small bend to the right. He then starts sliding into my lane and I'm like wtf. Tried to tap the brakes a bit to avoid a collision. Guess I shouldn't have done that but really nothing else I could have done. No way for me to try and swerve out of the way.

So my car starts sliding. Total control gone. Sliding into the ditch in the centre. There's some small poles about waist high and in between the poles are big cable wires. The poles are very far apart. I know I'm going to hit something and I'm praying to just hit the wires in between. Bang. Front passenger bumper smacks dead on into one of the poles. Gotta be kidding me. Passenger side bumper corner cracked beyond repair. Passenger headlight shattered and the housing is recessed in a bit. Hood has a few scratches and small dents. Passenger fender is bent in the front. Does not appear to be frame damage hopefully. I've got 02 headlights at home to be installed. So no biggie. Pretty pissed though.

A state trooper pulls over and asks if I'm ok. He asks if I can drive the car as it looks driveable. I said there's ni way this car is getting out if this ditch. The ditch wasn't deep. More of a small dip. But rwd is not going to make it. He radios in a tow truck and said it'd be a long wait. Told me to sit in the passenger seat as my driver side is facing traffic. He leaves. I'm sitting in my car praying that no one slides into me.

45 min later another state trooper comes a long. Asks if a tow truck is on the way. Then asks for my license and registration. 5 min later tow truck comes. Then the trooper gives me a ticket for going too fast for road conditions and calls and tells my insurance company I was in an accident. Wow. Did you really have to give me a ticket? Car gets loaded and I tell the driver to take me to the closest motel. Will stay over night and attempt to drive the car back if it clears up tomorrow. I ask how much for the tow and he said if a trooper calls a tow truck its 168 an hour. Starting from when they start heading here to when they get back to the office. 250 bucks. Wonderful. At this point I'm not upset I crashed. I'm pissed at the trooper. Could have been nice and not give me a ticket.

So I'm at a travelodge now. Typing this all out on my BlackBerry. If this doesn't get posted, I've wasted my time typing all of this on a phone.

Thanks for listening. Needed to vent. Time for bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

真係黑仔!:frown:
Steve

Back