• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drive cross country... Which car?

I've been contemplating taking a month off at some point and driving all across the country. I've lived in a lot of places since childhood, I thought it'd be cool to visit my old schools, houses, hangouts, maybe some old friends. I can see the country and just drive with not much care in mind, no rush, no worries.

I'm wondering what would be a good car to do this with. I'm all over the place from a Prius that'll cost me almost nothing in gas, to a 4WD SUV for more space, comfort, safety and the ability to drive down bad roads to a comfortable sedan. I've thought of the NSX but it's pretty loud now, a bit cramped, and I'm not keen on putting 3000 miles on it driving around aimlessly. It's too nice of a car.

I'm thinking I can rent a new car, these days everything is unlimited mileage so I can take advantage of that.

If I had access to a black and gold '77 Trans-Am with the chicken on the hood, I'd get a cowboy hat and take that. LOL. Maybe a silver Porsche and a white t-shirt. I plan on taking the winding smaller routes... 66, PCH, etc.

Really what car do you guys think is good for this task?

The '77 TA would be bad ass, but you'd have to grow a killer mustache also :biggrin:

Why drive, get some exercise and run.

images

Since you mentioned a prius, heres my .02. We have many here at work. I've made some trips in them and thay are comfortable, relatively roomy inside, ride good, plenty of power, and consume very little gas.

Drive the NSX. What are you saving it for? Unless you are part pharaoh and want to be buried in it take it on the road. If I can ever get my business to turn around my plan is to take one lap of America in the nsx and include meeting as many other owners as possible along the way for my biggest photo blog ever.

Since u will be driving long distance, you need a car that is comfortable and the nsx is not that car. Plus you want to be able to park in unfamiliar places on the roads with no worry. U dont want to go on vacation and worrying about people jacking your car. Get a 4-door v6 sedan with all the nice and comfort features including cup holder :) for the trip.

I wouldn't drive a nice newer one cross country. Especially a modified one with loud exhaust or rough suspension. That will get old.

Road debris... Worrying every night when it's left outside at the hotels... Plus the image it gives off when you pull up to see old friends or something like that.

Besides, you'd pick up more women driving the Prius or something like this:
images

If you can afford it, rent something fun like a Mustang Convertible. Hertz rents them I think, the V6 will get you over 30mpg on the highway, the V8 will get high 27-28 highway. Oh and if you can, allot for more than a month - it's a LOT of driving, and you might want to hang for a few days in certain spots.

Since u will be driving long distance, you need a car that is comfortable and the nsx is not that car.

I disagree. I have driven from NY to Dallas, NY to Ohio and NY to Wisconsin and was very comfortable on each trip. Plus, on the highways I got 28 mpg while exceeding the speed limits by a tad....:wink:

Mustang... Hmmm...

My old Mercedes CL600 would have been perfect for this task but yeah driving an ostentatious car in certain parts of the country may not be the best idea.

If my nsx was stock I'd consider it but now it's too high strung.

Can you rent dodge SRT's? Maybe a charger or challenger... It's a lot of driving. I need a good seat and some sort of responsiveness. Certainly a convertible mustang can be nice if it's summer. I think late spring early summer, or late summer early fall is the best, right?

You guys think I need more than a month?

This is one of those things you dont get to do too many times in life.

I think the kind of car has a lot to do with the experience. Must choose wisely. Something silver/gray... Don't need cops on my ass everywhere. A good stereo and radar detector will probably be good.

A jeep SRT may be a good car too. Safe and can go mildly off road but it's a pig. I'd have to plan my route around gas stations.

Last edited:
Drive the NSX. What are you saving it for? Unless you are part pharaoh and want to be buried in it take it on the road. If I can ever get my business to turn around my plan is to take one lap of America in the nsx and include meeting as many other owners as possible along the way for my biggest photo blog ever.

I think people do get buried with their cars.

114404111_03f447589b.jpg

LOL I'd just at the ritz then...

I rented this for NSXPO 2010 in Vegas.

The only glitch was it didn't come with a navi system and somehow I must have made a wrong turn and ended up in an autocross........

1071082502_E8knN-L.jpg

337142245596835481070100000922-L.jpg

Last edited:
If you did this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then why did you do this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:confused:

Why didn't you drive the NSX to NSXPO?:tongue:

I would have but a few weeks later I went to Japan for NSX Fiesta (and I didn't drive there either........) :tongue:

If you want something good on gas mileage then I've got it :)

scooter.jpg

I'm more worried about range than gas mileage. Driving at night in the middle of nowhere with no gas stations in sight is no fun.

I family has a 07' MB E350 and for long journeys its epic. Surprisingly good on fuel economy on the highway and is comfortable yet, when you wanted the speed, it has got it =) Nice 4 door sedan!

I rented a Cadillac Deville....nothing better.

You can rent them at your Cadillac Dealer.

Back