• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drive cross country... Which car?

Turbo, before you even consider it I would say NO WAY to the NSX and the reason is not even about how nice or not the car is. Driving cross-country will most likely give you at least one flat tire. The NSX can't even fit a full size spare tire so this is one big reason I would never take it long distance. Pop a tire on I5 between norcal and socal and I would be screwed. My rims are way too expensive and my car way too valuable to do this.

Why would that be likely? I've driven MA to FL countless times and never once got a flat. I drove AZ to MA, 3000 miles, no flat. I can't recall ever getting a flat on any road trip I've ever taken. I don't think that's likely at all or a reason to dissuade anyone from taking an NSX on a road trip. Just tune up the car before you go, check the tires and brake pads, change the oil and make sure everything is in great operating shape.

Dave, maybe things have changed, but I know back when I was into IASCA and was driving around with $20K worth of audio gear in my 300ZXTT + hundreds of hours of labor, I was able to get a rider from my insurance company to cover it. I had to provide receipts and take it to them for pictures. While I haven't looked into it in many years, I would think that the same option is still available today in Massachusetts. Perhaps your current insurance company doesn't offer it, but I'm sure there is someone who does.

dc0015m.jpg

+1 for another IASCA member - those days are gone now :(

P.S. I guess you do not know Murphy and his law! Everytime I left un-prepared I would get a flat, call it bad luck but I would not leave my NSX's health to chance on some deserted road in the middle of the night when normal tow trucks would NEVER clear the NSX. The nightmare would haunt me for life!

Last edited:
Very few know Murphy's Law better than I. You can take that to the bank... but the NSX is a Honda. It's as reliable as an Accord or Prelude and I wouldn't worry about taking one of those cross country (even without a spare). Besides, the donut is good enough to get you back to civilization if push comes to shove.

IASCA... how to throw away lots of good money and destroy the interior of your car in the process. It was a lot of fun, but in hindsight I wish I'd just gone simple and stuck the $$ into the bank.

Not a really visually-inspiring ride, but a great long-distance driver...Toyota Avalon. I drove my parents' late 1990s model on a long trip. Handled well, very reliable, upper 20s/lower 30s mileage. Even had a good stereo. Loaded the CD changer with new tunes and took off. My best road trip ever.

Someone's Corvette suggestion seemed to make a lot of sense, which reminded me of another car I have always assumed would make a great Grand Touring car - Porsche 928. Anybody have experience driving one of those long distance?

Back