• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DYNO results

I have seen dozens of stock dynos between 248 and 250. 21 gained by exhaust and headers (especially Taitec) is only 3 or 4 higher than average.

A delta of 2-3 hp between engines in used cars is unheard of. We don't know (at Ieast I don't know) what new NSX engines would all dyno at if compared.
Break in procedures were most commonly cited as a key reason for the differances in 'used' engines by the Honda engineers I have spoken with.

IMO, 271 for a car with these mods is very close.
I also believe NsxMas could have picked up 50hp with his mods as I have seen many baselines between 225 and 230.

If this were my car, I would locate a test pipe with an O2 bung and check his a/f the correct way. His 16:1 is not accurate reading after the cats, but it could be a sign of old O2 sensors, or it could be no sign at all.
If it were me, I would want to know.

But its not. :smile:

MB

Thanks for the clarification NSXtech :cool:. I've been in touch with Steve @ Apex Motorsports and will re-dyno as Im anxious to know the results.

It is always nice to get a baseline.

I've seen ChopsJazz run and I must admit his car pulls strong so I dont doubt his #'s at all.

NsXMas said:
I see no shame at all. It's totally realistic and well within the parameters of the expected gains (50+ HP increase). I just think that some people are too optimistic about what gains can be expected with certain mods.

Honda designed the engine to perform extremely efficiently with maximum reliability.

It would be silly to think that a few thousand dollars, or even tens of thousands of dollars can overcome some of the basic engineering parameters that Honda faced in designing this extraordinary machine.

If extra HP could be gained easily, and relatively cheaply, Honda would have done it. The fact that the NSX engine is so well proven, reliable, is a testiment to the original engine design.

Short of superchargers, I have been very happy with the reliable HP gain on my car. It will pull hard on most NSXs, and surprise the heck out of most other cars.

IMHO, you feel cheated to see other NSX engines put out good number with less mods than yours period. It's ok, just human nature.:)

I don't know how relevant this information is but I believe Dynos can be affected by MANY factors... Here are just a few...

1. Temp
2. Humidity
3. Atmospheric Pressure
4. Tyre Pressures
5. Gearing (Including wheel sizes OEM vs Aftermarket)
6. Dyno calibration

So lets take my car for and example: My Car... '93 3.0 5spd.

Stock Run #1 = 215 RWHP (3rd gear)

Stock Run #2 = 206 RWHP (4th Gear)

Now these were conducted 6 months apart but on the same Dyno so the differences are probably due to the weather alone as the 2nd run was at about 36 Deg Celcius day and the first was at 26 Deg Celcius day. Petrol always used is 98 Ron - no additives

Recently I added some aftermarket bits abd pieces like:

Modifications....

1. Gruppe M ver 3 Exhaust
2. DC Sports Headers
3. Procar CF/Apexi CAI

Run #3 = 188 RWKW (252 RWHP)

Now this was on a totally different Dyno about 6 months after the dyno run #2 above.

Modification... Aftermarket Chip

Run #4 = 191 RWKW with 6 RWKW gained in midrange (256 RWHP)

So, I think you can see that the gains I have got with my aftermarket bits and pieces are about the same as what other people get for the same modifications in the States and Japan etc.

My addition of I,H,E yeilded around 45 RWHP.

The chip was the biggest dissapointment... 3 KW at peak RPM. This was a chip I had custom made for my cars modifications... I think the HONDA chip is not really worth replacing since it has the ability to "Learn" anyway...!

So maybe ChopsJazz your car did dyno 270RWHP on that day, on that Dyno, at that elevation, with standard premium fuel... etc, etc...

Any Dyno operator will tell you that theirs is correct and calibrated! But what are they calibrated against???

The only time these Dyno figures are worth any value at all is in a back-back comparo on the same day, same dyno same atm. temp and pressure etc.

I am not trying to flame anyone here, just the oposite! I believe all your dyno outputs... Just understand the limitations and inherent errors of this hardly scientific testing method...

Before I started doing any mods on my car I had a baseline-dyno on a Dynojet from which I posted the results here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19285&highlight=dyno

In stock-forum the car dynoed at 241 RWHP. This corresponds nicely 274 crank HP if I use the 12% average drivetrain loss that I rad about.
If I the info on the SOS-site is correct a combination of headers and exhaust could give you an extra 22 RWHP, so getting 264 RWHP does not seem very unrealistic to me.
Am hoping to get similar results when I get my car on the (same) dyno again when it's ready with Taitec headers, exhaust, Dali-chip and Cantrell AIS.

I routinely dyno 266rwhp and 196lb of torque on a Dynojet. Mods are SOS NA 1 package, Comptech Headers, Taitec GT Lightweight, and Dali Test Pipes. I see no reason why his numbers would be optimistic.

But his AFR, as others have said, is worrisome.

NsXMas,
Have you verified the modification other than taking the previous owner word? Tom's NSX with the Comptech head modifications (cams, etc) dynoed at over 290 whp. DocJohn's as well.

When I did Dyno day about 5 years ago, the baseline was consistently 240 whp give or take 2 HP on stock NSX. Mine with DC header and HKS exhaust with cats was making 258whp. George's was the highest 3.0L engine with 264 whp with fujitsubo header and Taitec exhaust, GruppeM intake and no cats. The 3.2L Ken Kuwabara's was making 275 whp (IIRC).

popcorn.gif

Popcorn anyone???? :biggrin:

Andrie Hartanto said:
When I did Dyno day about 5 years ago, the baseline was consistently 240 whp give or take 2 HP on stock NSX.

Does anyone know or want to speculate why the stock NSXs in Australia Dyno around the 215 rwhp and as Andrie states around 240 rwhp stock?

I agree with you Andrie that stock NSX's in the States usually dyno around 240 rwhp as I have seen on many dyno day results over there. I am just trying to find out why the consistent % difference between there and here?

I always put it down to different brands of dynos, but I think it is more than that now as I see sometimes they are even the same brand of dyno giving the different readings between Australia and the States... :confused:

Romeo.... let me know when you plan on going in... if the time is right, i'll join in the fun.. :biggrin:

spartan2-3 said:
Thanks for the clarification NSXtech :cool:. I've been in touch with Steve @ Apex Motorsports and will re-dyno as Im anxious to know the results.

It is always nice to get a baseline.

I've seen ChopsJazz run and I must admit his car pulls strong so I dont doubt his #'s at all.

juejaimon said:
Romeo.... let me know when you plan on going in... if the time is right, i'll join in the fun.. :biggrin:

dido!!! :biggrin:
but i dont need 3 runs' i wonder how much they will charge for only one run?

amgnsx said:

Yes you do... Your ECU may need to adjust... 3 runs will tell if the ECU is still learning or if it has settled down to give constant figures.

amgnsx said:

Ariel, 1 run, 3 runs, it's the same cost we still have the get the car on the dyno rack and strap it on. I'll PM you tommorow.

amgnsx said:

Ariel, 1 run, 3 runs, it's the same cost we still have the get the car on the dyno rack and strap it on. I'll PM you tommorow.

AU_NSX said:
Does anyone know or want to speculate why the stock NSXs in Australia Dyno around the 215 rwhp and as Andrie states around 240 rwhp stock?
Since no-one has answered my Q's, I suppose I will keep digging for info...

This is something that I just read on a european VW forum...

"keep in mind that Europeans measure HP differently than US (DIN vs SAE)and is one source for inflated HP figures."

So I'm not the only one (apart from NsXMas) who noticed substancially higher hp figures quoted from Dyno figures in the States...

So bear with me whilst I try to discover some conversion factor or other means of calculating... Unless someone here knows???

Here are my stock and modded numbers. 94 with 25K miles. Taitec headers and exhaust.

Attachments

• Stock Resize.jpg
    Stock Resize.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 572
  • Exhaust Resize.jpg
    Exhaust Resize.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 570
No problem. I would be curious to see what I would dyno at now with my K&N aircleaner on. Probably not much, but a few hp would put me right up there near your results.

juejaimon said:
Heya Steve.. how about setting up another dyno day?

No problem. Just post in the northwest forum when people can come. Probably 6 cars max for the day.

spartan2-3 said:
Just got my car dynoed. Its a 1993 71K miles.
Mods consist of K&N Drop In Filter, Comptech Headers & TAITEC JGTC Exhaust the rest are all stock.

MAX POWER- 264.48
MAX TORQUE-198.78

Wow... impressive numbers... the Honda Technician that built your motor back in Japan, must have played "hide the Submarine" (maybe more than once!!!) the night before :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Mike

NsXMas said:
According to Ken

So rwhp may increase from ~235 to ~250/255.

If you get ~270 rwhp from the wheels from headers and exhaust alone, I bow to you.

That would mean a 50+ HP increase in your NSX motor, with such cheap mods. Or, your stock motor didn't have 270HP to begin with, but 290HP to begin with.

If that's the case, I say the technicians at the NSX factory are some of the worst engine builders in the world.
No, it just simply means we had a stronger baseline (~240) to begin with, yours on the other hand could have started low, maybe towards ~225 range base on the long list of mods you have and results of only 276 rwhp.

Back