• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DYNO results

Dyno threads almost always turn into a flame war of some kind. :frown:

Although PEAK HP numbers are nice for bragging rights, what good is it of you get 500HP at 4K then it just drops like a rock after that? Alot of people seem to neglect the graph and the "area under the curve". The idea is to try to keep a somwhat flat curve across the RPM range to get good usable HP.

If you take a look at Romeo's run, there is a considerable dip at 4800 and at 5800. Do you have the graphs of the other 2 runs? It would almost seem to me his car is pulling timing at those points. Do the other 2 runs also have those dips? Also, there must be something wrong with their A/F meter. There is no way a car will run a sustained 16:1 A/F without doing some serious damage.

Just my 2 cents...

One more thing...unfortunately you can't really compare dyno runs from different days let alone from a different dyno all together. There was a post of a dyno sheet from a Mustang dyno. Mustang dyno's are load bearing dynos and are configurable by the operator. He/She can change ramp rates etc. Depending on the configuration you'll get different numbers. Dynojet dyno's are not configurable.

Option2 said:
Dyno threads almost always turn into a flame war of some kind. :frown:

Boy, they sure do, then it turns into Mustang vs. Dynojet dyno. Since we are debating...which one is better? Zaino or Zymol? Just kidding. :tongue:

mickeylex said:
Boy, they sure do, then it turns into Mustang vs. Dynojet dyno. Since we are debating...which one is better? Zaino or Zymol? Just kidding. :tongue:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....let's not go there with the whole Zaino and Zymol!!! It really doesn't matter...Mustang, Dynojet, Dyno Dynamics.... but if you start with one particular type of dyno, you should stay with it.

Simply wanted was a feedbacks (and Im still open for) which I received from the first 3-4 replys regarding A/F (Apex Motors offered to correct) but someone had to jump all over the thread :rolleyes:

Jay, good to see you back, I should have listened to you way back when about getting a baseline Dyno :redface:, We have to get together like we used too :cool:

Nalesh, I would highly recommend a Baseline Dyno, join us on the 7th. Jay (Option2) was encouraging me before adding mods, I should have listened :frown: .

Last edited:
spartan2-3 said:
Simply wanted was a feedbacks (and Im still open for) which I received from the first 3-4 replys regarding A/F (Apex Motors offered to correct) but then somebody must have pissed on somebodies wheaties and caused that person to jumped all over the thread :rolleyes:

Jay, good to see you back, I should have listened to you way back when about getting a baseline Dyno :redface:, We have to get together like we used too :cool:

Nalesh, I would highly recommend a Baseline Dyno, join us on the 7th. Jay (Option2) was encouraging me before adding mods, I should have listened :frown: .

We definately have to get together again especially with the good weather coming back!! As for a baseline dyno, I think everyone should get one. It's not just for getting HP figures. A dyno sheet can also tell you if there is something not right with your car. FYI... ATP Turbo also has a Dynojet dyno (AWD capability). They charge $50 for 3 runs w/ A/F readout for groups.

Haven't been around for awhile but thought I'd put in a few words to revive this thread. I did a test on a Dynojet about maybe 2 years ago when I had a Comptech exhaust and K&N FIPK. My 92' ranged from 255.2 to 257.2 hp and 193.4-199.0 tq. for the 3 pulls that I did. Around that time I also ran my car at Sacramento Raceway to see what I can do in the 1/4 mile and my best was a 13.609 at 103.486 mph.

I ended up taking the K&N FIPK out and installing back the stock air box with a Uni-Filter and Cantrell AIS and also added Comptech headers. I haven't dynoed my car with these extra mods but I did go back to Sacramento Raceway where I ran a best of 13.258 at 106.335 mph.

I figured that I must have gained at least another 15+ horsepower in order for my car to gain almost 3 more mph through the traps. I am not sure if there is a formula for how much horsepower it takes to gain 1 extra mile in the 1/4 at given speeds. I am very happy with my results at the racetrack so I can only guess that my hp and tq has gone up some more with these mods.

I do want to point out that when I ran the 13.6 time, I had the stock 16x8" wheels with 225/50/16 A022 tires which are quite a bit lighter than my 18x10 Volk AV3's with 175/35/18 S-02 tires which I used to run the 13.2 time. The 0-60' time for the 13.6 was 2.125 while the 13.2 was 2.067.

I am not surprised at all with the results posted here. It does seem that most NSX's with just the I/H/E combination will yield around 260+ hp.

Dynos from 10+ different NSXs on same exact dyno on the same day:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/images/NSteXpo2002_DynoReport.pdf

Bone stock pre-97 seems to dyno 225~245rwhp from car to car. So maybe condition of the car could have something to do with the results.

I dynoed 245rwhp with just Cantrell AIS and uni foam air filter on Dynodynamic Dynometer at Autowave, they are probably one of the top 3 places with # of NSXs dynoed. Dynodynamic dynometer are not known for giving out optimistic #s, even so, the gain was measured.

I am guessing 238~240rwhp without cantrell AIS and foam filter. compare to 270 crank hp with 12% drivetrain loss, that figure is virtually dead on. Maybe a little low, consider I had Royal Purple synthetic oil J/K :biggrin:

The gain with exhaust alone and replacing unknown year old fuel filter after baseline run was 25rwhp gain.

The same exhaust has showned gain of 22rwhp with conbination of cantrell AIS for 97+ Nsx.

My NSX was likely at 2860lbs or less that may also have helped the #s.

Let's see...my NSX with IHE and SOS Stage 1 dynos at 267rwhp and 199lb torque. I use the Dali test pipes, Cantrell thingie, stock airbox, and stock paper filter element. The dynojet I use has been accurate to w/i 1hp for the past year on the same mods. And since hp is a function of torque and rpm...I'd say it's pretty accurate on different days with all of the variances in weather taken into account.

My best 1/4 mile time was 13.234 with a trap of 105mph. My best trap was 109mph but at time of 13.722. I have an issue with wheel hop that really hurt performance (and my clutch).

Andrie Hartanto said:
NsXMas,
Have you verified the modification other than taking the previous owner word? Tom's NSX with the Comptech head modifications (cams, etc) dynoed at over 290 whp. DocJohn's as well.

When I did Dyno day about 5 years ago, the baseline was consistently 240 whp give or take 2 HP on stock NSX. Mine with DC header and HKS exhaust with cats was making 258whp. George's was the highest 3.0L engine with 264 whp with fujitsubo header and Taitec exhaust, GruppeM intake and no cats. The 3.2L Ken Kuwabara's was making 275 whp (IIRC).

Pictures from that even :)

http://www.sromagazine.com/events/dynoday/

16lbs of polished goodness

1-199-16705-l-WIjQjK5w6hQqJz2IbFXKRw.jpg

Yes, I had nothing to do last winter.

My dyno results at Apex on 050705

Uncorrected:
mikedyno1.gif

Corrected:
mikedyno2.gif

Mike

We had a Dyno day two weeks ago and everyone with I/H/E puts out 258-268 RWHP. Mike_C587 had one of the most outstanding engines :cool:

Mike, Don says you have the 6 speed finally installed :confused: how is it? Cant wait till you add the CTSC and see your car on Dyno, better yet cant wait to drive it :biggrin:

Ryan, thanks for the link but were are the Import Queens? :biggrin:

Sidney, with your recent mods, you should be in the upper 260's++, see you on the 22nd :smile:

Back