• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS Problems - Help!

I have read most of the posts about EPS. Here is my problem. (I have a '96 NSX - Manual)
The EPS light came on and I lost power steering. I pulled the clock fuse, and put back in, which re-set everything. Started car again. No EPS light. Now have power steering back. Went for drive for about 5 miles. No problems. Had dinner. Started car again. Back out of parking spot and EPS light comes on again. No power steering. Decided to check battery cables, and ended up changing the battery and cleaning up the cables. Started car. No EPS light. Power steering back. Woo Hoo. Next day, EPS light back on. No power steering. What's the next step?
In your answers, if you mention "speed sensors", "error code #22", "power steering rack", "control module", "shorting out the blue connector and counting the short and long flashes", "changing out the relays in the control unit"......................please EXPLAIN in "DIY for DUMMIES" speak, and also EXPLAIN WHERE these items are located on the car. Thanks.

Last edited:
Your problem I'm 98% sure is the eps unit found under the sub woofer it contains two relays. When one of the two get old the contacts fail. Also the main power lines for the steering unit should be checked for integrity and connections. You may have a factory warrenty because the 95 96 97 I beleive had a 14year 150,000 mile warrenty on certain components. Pulling the clock fuse will not help the problem. On 95's there was an exchange program for the eps. I posted the eps fix years ago that I am talking about and several people took this info of mine and now offer and exchange program from time to time. If you have a skilled proffessional circuit board repairman. I'll send you the contacts for the parts and insrtuctions

Here is a photo of the inside of the EPS control module.
To take out the "mother board", do you need to remove the 5 soldered-over
screws? Does this expose the relays that need to be replaced?

The dealer wants $1,495.00 for this bad boy. I don't even know if this is the problem. Can the dealer diagnose this thing without it being in the car?

Thanks in advance for those of you in the know........

Attachments

• NSX - EPS CONTROL MODULE.jpg
    NSX - EPS CONTROL MODULE.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
You can PM prime member BrianK who offers the rebuild service. You send him your board and he returns it pronto.

Jeff, Do not unsolder the soldered screws,just remove the 9 screws on the transistor heat sinks.

I removed the nine screws, but the mother board won't come out! (you can see that these screws have been removed on the photo)
I pried on it a little, but it seems to be stuck down where those five soldered-over screws are. Help!
Do you mean the nine other screws? 8 in the recessed holes and one more to the bottom left through a component?

Last edited:
No the dealer can not diagnose the unit out of the car, heck most dealers can not diagnose it in the car but I am sure it will make a nice profit for them if they sell a new one to try.

Unless you have some skills in circuit board repair stop what you are doing but it back together and send it to someone who knows what thaey are doing.

You are playing with $1495 in cash is a wind storn.

Last edited:
Back