• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally buying my NSX (Daily Driver) - advice please

So thankful for this site and the help it’s members provide. I have been a lurker for awhile and am now ready to find my NSX. I have wanted the NSX since I knew about it in 1990. I actually ordered the bound brochure from Acura back in the day. A couple days ago, I showed my wife the letter that came with it. It was dated 1994. She knows I am serious and supports me in my quest. Most recently I had a Subaru Legacy Spec B and Lexus RX 350. Traded them both in January and got a 2012 Toyota Highlander (we needed this for the family, but not needed as a daily driver). I drive around 80 miles/day 5 days a week and don’t see that changing anytime soon. The HL is “nice”, but I have been doing this drive for 5 plus years now, and would rather do it in an NSX. Will keep the HL for winter, weekends, and trips I guess. And my wife hasher Outback. Can you tell I’m a HUGE fan of Japanese reliability?

I have read many of the “Daily Driver” threads and have been learning lots on the Wiki site as well. I am thinking of 93 or newer, since the 91 and 92 go through tires at 7k miles, have window regulator issues, and there is no passenger airbag until 93.

My questions, that I wasn’t able to get a clear answer from Wiki are:

Power Steering: do any 93 or 94 models have power steering? Wiki says power steering became standard in 1995 for “manuals as well as autos”. Can I find93 or 94 manual with “optional power steering”? (we have a tight 3 car garage, and the power steering might help prevent some parking mishaps). I have driven a newer model NSX with power steering, so not sure how hard it is to park in a tight garage without power steering

Targa: I have had sunroofs in most of my recent cars, and rarely used them. I love the idea of the Targa, but am usually too busy that I wouldn’t take the 3 minutes to remove the top. Any non-Targa owners kicking themselves for not buying the Targa? Any Targa owners kicking themselves for dropping the extra $10k by buying the 95 instead of the 93?

Car Covers: At my office I would have to cover my car (to protect from fading). Is it impractical (would like to keep Original paint), or do co-workers, clients, etc feel like you’re “showing off” by covering your car at work
Auto Trader, etc: why is it that some NSX have VIN listed (1998 with 170k miles in another thread) while this 1996 does not have a link to VIN

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...used&searchRadius=0&listingId=315598086&Log=0

Color: I would really like to have a Silver or Grey, but know it may take forever to find the right one. As far as turn around goes (would like to keep this for 2 years/ 30k miles and re-sell and buy another NSX) is it easier to sell a Red NSX.

Horse Power: folks with pre-1997 models, where did you begin with adding HP?

Mileage: considering I will put 30k miles on the NSX and then sell and get another, what mileage NSX should I look for, ie. If I buy one with 80k will selling it with 110k be tough? Or should I shoot for a 60k NSX to sell later with 90k?

Thanks SO much

Pre 1995 only automatic transmission NSXs had power steering.

I cover my car at work when it's freshly clean. I couldn't care less what my cow-orkers think about that.

Targa:
I love the targa option on my car and use it a lot now that the weather is warming up. The first time it took a while to take the top off as I was nervous about scratching it and wanting to do it the right way. Now though it takes maybe a minute and a half, Honda really made it smooth and easy to do.

Color:
Despite low production numbers, I see silver cars for sale here and there so you may not have that hard of a time finding one.

Horsepower:
Much of the HP boost in the NA2 (1997+) is to compensate for the weight gains due to the Targa and such. So power difference between NA1 and NA2 isn't that big despite the HP difference from what I understand.

Good luck in your quest!

With regards to HP. You should decide if you are staying NA or going FI. If you are staying NA, I would start with headers and exhaust. Most of the HP gain from the 97 on up is from the header redesign. If you look at a picture of the two you can clearly see why.

If you plan on going turbo I would just wait as many kits include headers and exhaust. If you are thinking SC then an aftermarket exhaust and headers will only help. Unfortunately HP gains in these cars is not cheap compared to other mass produced cars.

I have read many of the “Daily Driver” threads and have been learning lots on the Wiki site as well. I am thinking of 93 or newer, since the 91 and 92 go through tires at 7k miles, have window regulator issues, and there is no passenger airbag until 93.

The tire wear issue is a simple alignment spec that can be adjusted to match the other years. None issue. The window regulator "fix-it" can be done cheaply as well.

The only reason to consider 93+ would be the dual(passenger side) airbag if that's a deal breaker. Also, the passenger airbag greatly reduces the glove compartment. 93+ cars have more of a pocket than a glove box.

Power Steering: do any 93 or 94 models have power steering? Wiki says power steering became standard in 1995 for “manuals as well as autos”. Can I find93 or 94 manual with “optional power steering”? (we have a tight 3 car garage, and the power steering might help prevent some parking mishaps). I have driven a newer model NSX with power steering, so not sure how hard it is to park in a tight garage without power steering

Power steering became standard in the 95+ I believe, besides auto's. You should drive the non-power steering model NSX and decide for yourself. Personally, I like the manual steering feel. It takes a little getting use to, but not an issue for me.

Targa: I have had sunroofs in most of my recent cars, and rarely used them. I love the idea of the Targa, but am usually too busy that I wouldn’t take the 3 minutes to remove the top. Any non-Targa owners kicking themselves for not buying the Targa? Any Targa owners kicking themselves for dropping the extra $10k by buying the 95 instead of the 93?

I love the targa as well, but it really changes the feel of the NSX. I personally like the feel of the hardtop versus the targa. It's a trade off, depends on your personal opinion. There are options on there on stiffening up the chassis of a targa to mirror the feel of the coupe, but I'm not too familiar with those. STMPO chassis bar, STMPO strut bar, sway bars, etc. to name a few.

Car Covers: At my office I would have to cover my car (to protect from fading). Is it impractical (would like to keep Original paint), or do co-workers, clients, etc feel like you’re “showing off” by covering your car at work
Auto Trader, etc: why is it that some NSX have VIN listed (1998 with 170k miles in another thread) while this 1996 does not have a link to VIN

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...used&searchRadius=0&listingId=315598086&Log=0

I wouldn't go as far as covering my car at work, but again, it's subjective. Do as you please and don't care what other think. I think it's going a little too far, but then again, I'm lazy.

Color: I would really like to have a Silver or Grey, but know it may take forever to find the right one. As far as turn around goes (would like to keep this for 2 years/ 30k miles and re-sell and buy another NSX) is it easier to sell a Red NSX.

I think there is a market for all colors. Some colors pull a premium as there is more demand. I think white and sebring silver are more sought after(earlier years) and then white, imola, blue, etc for later years....based on what I've seen/read. If priced right, any color you choose will re-sale. Just get what color you prefer.

Horse Power: folks with pre-1997 models, where did you begin with adding HP?

There's a host of mods for the NSX. Headers, exhaust, and then weight reduction seem to be the most popular. Also, the RDX injector swap is very promising with the ECU tune/chip.

Mileage: considering I will put 30k miles on the NSX and then sell and get another, what mileage NSX should I look for, ie. If I buy one with 80k will selling it with 110k be tough? Or should I shoot for a 60k NSX to sell later with 90k?

It's my opinion based on what I've seen, mileage shouldn't be a huge concern, as long as you perform the required maintenance and the car is in good condition. Of course mileage effects price, but not as much as with some other cars.

Last edited:
power steering became standard in the 95+ i believe, besides auto's. You should drive the non-power steering model nsx and decide for yourself. Personally, i like the manual steering feel. It takes a little getting use to, but not an issue for me.

+1.

as for the targa i love it. i almost bought a non targa and im so glad i didnt. it only takes a little bit to pop the latchs on the top take it off and put it in the back. non even 30 secs to either take it off or put in on.

You guys are GREAT.

Thanks for the heads up on the power steering. I’m getting the 5 speed. I will likely cover my car and not worry about the folks at work.

I think I will go for the Targa. I will wait for a Silver or White, at least wait for a little while, hehe.

I will stick with NA, for now, so will research more on the headers and exhaust.

Since I’m going to go for the 95+, I won’t worry so much about the tires wear. I am a big fan of steering feel and response, my only concern is the tight fit of my garage. Since I’m looking more for a highway daily driver, the Targa should be fine, as far as feel goes. I think covering the car (since the paint has 15 years or so on it) would be a must if I want to keep the original paint. When does mileage become a concern (for resale) 150k + ?

Will likely get the Targa

Thanks so much

When I bought my first exotic I planned on covering it at work everyday... That lasted all but 2 months.

1. It got old real quick.
2. I was probably doing more damage to the clear coat at the contact areas by covering/uncovering so many times. Car covers also trap dirt which can act more like sandpaper over time.
3. The cost of replacing decent car covers frequently over time would probably equal a fresh respray every 8-10 years anyway.

It would be better to tint the windows and get some window shields to minimize UV rays from impacting the leather.

I had a 91 coupe, and now a 99 NSX-T. Lack of power steering on the 91 was a non-issue for me. The steering is so light that I cannot tell any difference between the two.

If I was planning to buy one to use as my DD, I would prefer a well maintained high mileage NSX to a low mileage one. Higher mileage cars tend to be cheaper, and whatever miles you put on it has less impact on resale value.

If you primarily drive alone, I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of a passenger airbag, especially if you have young children.

If you don't have covered parking at work, and parking spaces are so tight that door dings are a concern, I would use a cover unless the paint is extremely filthy. A bottle of quick detailer and a california duster should be able to handle dust and light surface contamination.

Good luck!

Since I’m going to go for the 95+, I won’t worry so much about the tires wear.
I don't think you understood Zishan's post, which was a direct answer to your concern. The '91-92 doesn't wear tires any differently from any other year NSX. All years wear rear tires relatively quickly. Acura changed the recommended alignment beginning in '93 (from 6 mm rear toe to 4 mm) and made it retroactive to '91-92. Even using their revised alignment - or even reducing rear toe to 2 mm, which some owners do - you're still going to go through rear tires pretty fast. 7,000 miles is typical (even optimistic) for any rear tires that are worth putting on the NSX. You'll get 2-3 times as many miles on the front tires as the rears, though.

I agree with PHOEN$X. The power steering issue IMHO is a non issue as well. I strongly recommend that you drive a 91-93 and see what you can do in a drive way and parking lot. Its alot nicer then what you are thinking. Plus for how often you pull in and out of a garage I say so what go with what feels good to you the rest of the time driving. Good luck on your search.

Color - Thanks for the production info on the Silver. I started another thread about a Silver 98 on NSXTrader.

Paint - Did any of you buy an NSX that had been repainted.

Covering - yeah I can I can see that getting old fast. I will for sure tint and use an interior shield

Power Steering - I think I’m going for a 95 or newer

Alignment - if i understand now, thanks. will search tire suggestions for high mileage NSX

Thanks again !

My car had the front bumper repainted by the previous owner due to rock chips. You don't notice it unless your looking for it.

Take your time in your search. And yeah the cover idea will get old and probably do more harm than good.

i love my targa.on a beautiful day like today,when you take the top off and drive fast on some country roads,it's magic.it really helps me to have the roof open to the sky.there was a fair amount of stiffening done in 95 when the targa was introduced,so it's still pretty stiff.if it's a little less so,it's worth it,and probably not a big difference for most unless you're driving on a track at a high level.as others have said,it's a good design and you can take it off in under 2 minutes.

the power steering cuts out above about 25,so that's not a big factor.

my car came covered when i bought it.i took it off,and have never put it on in three years.seems like too much trouble.

I agree with PHOEN$X. The power steering issue IMHO is a non issue as well. I strongly recommend that you drive a 91-93 and see what you can do in a drive way and parking lot. Its alot nicer then what you are thinking. Plus for how often you pull in and out of a garage I say so what go with what feels good to you the rest of the time driving. Good luck on your search.

When I picked up my '91 in December, I cursed the manual steering for about a week. And then I got used to it, in part by growing some new muscles, but largely by changing my grip on the steering wheel when making slow tight turns, like in a parking lot.

Also, I make sure the car is rolling ever-so-slowly when making tight turns, like going into a parallel parking space. With power steering, you get used to turning the wheels with the car completely stopped.

Passengers comment that it seems like I'm working hard when parking, but I don't even notice it any more.

My NSX lives in my garage at home - no cover.

Last edited:
Man just reading your post tired me out just thinking about how long this post is going to be....as I crack my knuckles in preparation to address your multiple concerns. Geez...:biggrin:

Ok, now first of all you mentioned that you will put 30k on it and sell it and buy another - damn - you can just experiment then - get a coupe first - earlier and it doesn't matter too much about the passenger side air bag unless your wife insists on it. I didn't consider it to be a big deal myself when I bought my 91, which is now sold.

Now - one thing you need to know right up front - any older car, as in a 91, is going to need work - 98% of the time unless you find the very rare sale, like mine was, where everthing had been addressed. For example I bought a 91 with 43k miles and proceeded to put about 6k into it - now you may not have to put that much in but mine needed the timing belt, water pump, clutch and unforseen steering rack - if I had it to do over again I would have said no to the steering rack! So you can figure on 3k to 5k minimum outlay post purchase depending on maintenance history so it's not as simple as just run out buy a car and start putting 30k miles on it although in rare circumstances it could be.

So where does that leave you - buying a car with lower mileage and putting 30k miles on it will surely reduce the resale value no matter where you start really. Point is that generally speaking the older car you buy and the more miles on the car at purchase = the more dollars you will most likely spend on getting the car up to snuff to use as a daily driver!

As with any type automobile the newer it is the less there should be wrong with it and that goes for the NSX too. It's not some magic car that needs nothing as in - "well it's a Honda; what could go wrong?" That doesn't apply - it's a car, i.e. depreciating assest and it wears out just like anything else does.

If you buy a 91 - 94 - you can surely get a power increase with a header system even if you stay with the stock exhaust. You can find early coupes that have all kinds of mods - I would be careful to buy a car that doesn't have a pile of mods or an SC unless I could verify a lot with the current owner about how it was driven and maintained since the SC or TC was installed. If it were me I'd rather have a non turbo or super charged car and would rather have a header/exhaust system upgrade and what some call the short gears or gearing like the ones in Japan or JDM gears as others call them. That will make a pile of difference so it is not just headers that makes the difference in the later NA2 cars - it's also the fact that you get a 6 speed tranny that basically incorporates the shorter gearing of the ROW NA1s.

I would just look at it like this - buy a nice one with decent mileage and a set of headers and maybe even short gears that has been properly maintained even though others will certainly be cheaper. If you buy a 91-94 with the mods and maintenance I mention you will spend between 30k and 37k. If you buy an NA2 to get lower miles, newer year as in 97+ and the more HP and 6 speed you will pay 38k to 48k + for a 97 - 2001. For a 2002 + you'll pay anything from 48k to 65k once again depending on miles and maintenance.

You will hear of exceptions to my pricing chart but all in all figuring my parameters of maintenance and mileage you will find I am spot on I believe. Hope that helps. Oh, and if you buy a 91-94 manual shift you will get a work out with no power steering when trying to park but it's not a big deal. Personally I like no power steering, but it has it's place. And if you need that then you will have to go post 94 or get an automatic.

One other series I forgot to mention - the 95 and 96 models - they were interim - had the targa but didn't have the more HP or 6 speed. Had Power steering too. A nice example will command 35k to 38k.

Adios, hope that helps you make a decision and for the rest of you Primers I hope you enjoy another one of my epistles! :wink::biggrin:

Glad to see you posting Tim, Prime sure miss you

Man just reading your post tired me out just thinking about how long this post is going to be....

Ha, this is the pot calling the kettle black!:biggrin:

Tim gives good advice, although I think I would do the headers and exhaust first over the short gears, just based on cost and ease of installation...at least on the exhaust.

When I was shopping 7 years ago there was more of a price premium for a T NA1 car versus a 91-94, but that doesn't seem to be so true any more.

Regardless, I'm delighted I ended up with a T car. I'll bet I take the top off 150 times a year. Certainly every morning this time of year for the drive to work. I'll stop in the summer when it's too hot/humid even at 7am, but most of the year I'm topless whenever it's comfortable.

Back