• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally, center console done!

My center console: the recess for factory station preset buttons was filled in w/ plastic resin and beveled to match factory contours, airbrushed. SOS carbon fiber single din faceplate adaptor was inserted from the underside of console and the Alpine flush mounted.

3995DSC00382-med.JPG

Thanks Hugh, I went this route b/c I like CF but not CF overlays. In this case, the CF is real and it is a solid trim piece that is mounted from the underside of the console.

Nice, very tasteful CF mod.

I'm going to be mounting my start button and key-code ignition pad in that area with a similar style plate.

I have my JDM nav pod w/ custom double-din touchscreen for stereo/nav/sirius/cd functions.

Nicely done. It looks great. Now we need someone to PS that cf into gloss black.

Is the stereo a flip out monitor?

Veleno said:
Nicely done. It looks great. Now we need someone to PS that cf into gloss black.

Is the stereo a flip out monitor?

The monitor is not a flip out. SOS does make that CF trim piece in gloss black, but the CF complements the CF on the type r shift boot.

Malibu Rapper said:
.. You should have just filled in the rest of the open space and beveled just around the stereo, that woulda looked trick!
I have to agree - you clearly had the skills to fill & contour the large slot so I think a custom fit to the edge of the deck would have looked better. The C/F piece just looks like an add on rather than a 'finished' install.
Again, your workmanship is really excellent - just not crazy about the filler plate option personally.

Got to agree with Ken and Bradley, but possilby filling in a single DIN was not your taste. The larger opening in the console is a better balance between the lighter panel and the climate control IMHO. Considering your skill in filling and shaping, why not consider adding another DIN piece (maybe a DSP or EQ) that fills up the space and provides some bling lights during the night time drive?

Still, I envy your skill on the modification. The shaping and finish look top notch.

I appreciate all of your insights and yes, it probably would have looked cleaner to narrow the opening to single din dimensions w/ beveled edge. However, I went w/ this design for several reasons. It just seems more organic to the contours of the climate control shape above and the ashtray below, while adequately filling in space b/w those two for more of a factory flow to the eyes. If you look at how the majority of single din units are mounted, the installer simply uses a blank aftermarket console and cuts a perfect 90 degree rectangle w/ his dremel. I wanted to stay away from that look and approach. It just looks awkward to me to have all these curved shapes above & below but somewhere in between is a perfect single din rectangle arbitrarily placed w/ disproportionate blank space around the stereo. I'm not criticizing that approach, this is an illustration http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71026
While that looks clean, it just doesn't visually look factory and the spacing seems awkward. Unless it's a Jeep console, most factory stereos seem to have a larger opening w/ an inner fascia that is single din. My approach simply retains the factory dimensions of the stereo. This was also a less destructive route requiring less modification to the factory console. By retaining most of the original opening, it was easier to use it as a guide edge for the filler and making the perfect bevel. Lastly, I wanted a little CF trim b/c my gauge cluster & type r shift boot also have touches of CF. Whatever the method, I prefer it over the factory bose any day! Cheers!

Last edited:
QWKSLVR said:
It just seems more organic to the contours of the climate control shape above and the ashtray below, while adequately filling in space b/w those two for more of a factory flow to the eyes.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The thing that would have made your install a bit better was keeping the bevel looking OEM. I think you would have had a very OEM look going. Either way, nice job and you can always change it to your liking...

What paint did you use to spray it with? I'm assuming it's a mixed paint (instead of rattle can). Looks great...has me thinking about what to do with my own install that I'm not overly happy with at this point.

Regards,
Scott

Not to pee on your parade, but I think you should have filled the entire console or just bought a carbon fiber piece from Dali....:smile:

Looks good! My preference would goto a painted black plate instead of a CF.

Cincinnati Scott said:
What paint did you use to spray it with? I'm assuming it's a mixed paint (instead of rattle can). Looks great...has me thinking about what to do with my own install that I'm not overly happy with at this point.

Regards,
Scott

Scott, the paint was not from an aerosol can as I have read from Bradley & Ken's experiences that that grade of paint can not withstand heat & will eventually crack. This was Spies Hecker automotive paint used by many luxury makes (MB) in a metallic gunmetal for Nissan/ Infiniti, best colormatch my painter had in stock. The console was pre-prepped by wet sanding w/ 2000 grit, then it was shot w/ a coat of paint adhesion promoter (ideal for plastic), then shot w/ the paint gun. We both decided not to go w/ clear coat b/c that would have resulted in a gloss, the metallic characteristics of the color we used was enough to give the console the same kind of matte irredescent sheen of the factory finish.

Don't have pics of the process but I'll put it into words. As for the fabrication/ fill of the recess for the radio buttons, the idea is to use plastic w/ plastic (console), rather than bondo, which may or may not have a long term negative reaction (warping, cracking, etc.) A piece of scotch tape was stretched across the recess curving the tape along the inner edge of the opening to form a bevel, the tape acts as a mold. From the backside, fill the recess in w/ this (the best kept secret in custom fab.): http://www.atving.com/atvconnection/Features/productreviews/Plastex-Plastic-Repair.cfm, it hardens once cured, then sand from coarse to fine, voila!

Here's a flush mount as I had described above, with a bevelled profile around the edge of the slot

5957DSC01268.JPG

Zennsx said:
This is the nicest looking and most thought out install I've seen yet. Any pics detailing the process?

Here is a detailed step/step of how I achieved it

QWKSLVR said:
As for the fabrication/ fill of the recess for the radio buttons, the idea is to use plastic w/ plastic (console), rather than bondo, which may or may not have a long term negative reaction (warping, cracking, etc.)

That's a cool product link, thanks for the info. I've tried a variety of materials so far. Fiberglass filler, Bondo, ABS, and metal. The most durable I've found is metal and Bondo. They held up through everything. ABS, even high temp, had a tendency to expand and contract causing problems with the areas where they were bonded. Keep us posted on how the plastic filler holds up. I found out how well every holds up when I left my car at the dealer and the sun beat on it for over a day (black car). The latest iteration of my paint job is still holding up quite well but I spent a casual week prepping it and letting everything dry properly.

Can you remove the clock, radio, ac/havac and make them where they arent orange color. I see yours are all blue. My stereo color in one corner is starting to show that blue color under what looks to be some sort of screen or something that is falling down.

Zennsx said:
D'Ecosse said:
Here's a flush mount as I had described above, with a bevelled profile around the edge of the slot
I stand corrected, Its the second nicest install I've seen and D'Ecosse's being the best.
Thanks for comps - but where does the one in the pic stand in the rankings? :biggrin:
That is not mine actually but one I did for another NSX'r - I filled & cut & profiled the slot & the owner had it pro-painted
Mine looks almost identical but of course has the nav pod as opposed to OEM vent grille.
The black one in the 'how-to" link ended up on another car in CO if I remember/

Back