• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

? for you married guys

One thing about a marriage certificate that really matters is the legal aspects when a spouse is ill/hurt or dies. If there is no marriage, the blood relatives will inherit the property and make the life-and-death decisions.

A friend of mine, lived with his now-wife, for years without marriage. She had some serious health problems and he said her kids made the medical decisions instead of him. He regretted that they didn't get married sooner so the decisions would have been his to make.

Last edited:
One thing about a marriage certificate that really matters is the legal aspects when a spouse is ill/hurt or dies. If there is no marriage, the blood relatives will inherit the property and make the life-and-death decisions.

A friend of mine, lived with his now-wife, for years without marriage. She had some serious health problems and he said her kids made the medical decisions instead of him. He regretted that they didn't get married sooner so the decisions would have been his to make.

I agree with you. There are many practical reasons why legal marriage is a good idea with a life partner. It was one of the reasons we eventually chose to do it. It also supports the point that it's a legal arrangement and document, not a means to an end for a successful or failed relationship.

Depends on the state, living arrangement of the couple and length of time together. In Montana, after 6 mos living together, unless everything is split 50/50 bills wise, you actually can fight for Common Law Marriage.

Hell, We've only signed a common law marriage affidavit, simply so I could put her and my son on my insurance and we knew we were going to get married anyway - we've been living together for 6 years now, so our wedding is essentially going to be a photoshoot and a party for our friends, because nothing else will change and we both know it.

Also, on all my insurance stuff 50% of everything goes to my wife, the other 50% to my son (once he's 27, I was able to state an age for life insurance). When my daughter is born in December, she and my son will split 50% if anything were to ever happen to me.

My biggest concern is that the house be paid for and she be set for life with our children, not having to worry about money - so if I come up randomly missing, it's probably because there's a huge policy on me, lol. (JOKING)

I consider myself extremely lucky to have found my wife. Those who give you the third degree have married the wrong woman, and that's their fault. My wife is the best person I've ever met in my life, and I wouldn't have married her if she wasn't exactly that. She makes me a better person. That marriage does exist; I have it. Keep on keepin on. Don't pay attention to the detractors that say it can't happen or say it's a ball and chain type scenario.

I would like to think that when I'm pushing up the daisies, I will have left some sort of notable impact on the world I leave behind. In my case it will likely be my children that will be my legacy. If you want to have children, I think it's important to them that you are married and in a stable relationship. But it's a catch-22. My relationship with my wife completely changed when we had kids. My wife is no longer the person I married, not even remotely close. I still love her dearly, but I can't say I'm happy, however I will do whatever I have to to make sure my children grow up in a house with two parents. We don't argue or fight, we just pretend everything is fine and our kids don't know any better. I would not have married the woman my wife is today. She rarely laughs anymore and is grumpy far too often. Would she have married me if she knew me then as well as she does now? Probably not. But without that marriage, I wouldn't have the amazing kids I do today. And without the kids, my wife wouldn't have changed into "mom mode" and our relationship would likely be great! There's the catch-22.

Even if you don't want kids, it's nice to have a best friend with you, sharing all your adventures and someone to grow old next to. I wanted that, and kids. Would I do it all over again? You betcha, I love my kids that much. If I hadn't married, I wouldn't have them. Their well being and happiness is far more important than my own.

Man, if this doesn't hit home.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have found my wife. Those who give you the third degree have married the wrong woman, and that's their fault. My wife is the best person I've ever met in my life, and I wouldn't have married her if she wasn't exactly that. She makes me a better person. That marriage does exist; I have it. Keep on keepin on. Don't pay attention to the detractors that say it can't happen or say it's a ball and chain type scenario.

How long have you been married...

I have been married for 36 years now to the most wonderful lady you would want to meet. We have been through hell and back together and I have to admit to myself that how in the world did this happen to me. It is a lot of hard work but well worth the effort. My wife gets the summer car thing. My wife accepts the sports car thing. I understand what she needs to be happy and do whatever it takes to accomplish that. She has an honest soul and a truthful person. She has honor and has not been manipulative. I try to be the same and would never consider to step out on her. I'm sure there are other women out there that have the same values as her. One thing that I learned in our years together is it really helps if you like each other. You can love anything you want but if you really like who they are makes it a pleasure to be with. Oh yea - I love her like no tomorrow.

This is a great thread. I'm not married, but I would like to be one day. Lots of good info to keep in mind.

also remember..whether you like it or not when you marry you double your effective family ......so try to work on those in-law relations....

Or triple, my lady's parents are divorced...

Fortunately, I get along with everyone of them

A pastor opened his sermon about marriage saying:
Marriage is like flies buzzing around a screen door in the summer. All those on the outside want to get in and all those on the inside want to get out.

A comedy wife song:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XpFD-kgQxnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
also remember..whether you like it or not when you marry you double your effective family ......so try to work on those in-law relations....

How true. One reason why my first marriage didn't last was due to my in-laws. My current wife's parents are both deceased and she that makes her more valuable.

I was married for 10 years and they were the best years of my life. I am now in the final stages of our divorce and I would not wish this hell on my worst enemy. Were those 10 years worth the 1 year of hell I'm going through now? The jury's still out on that. One thing is for sure; I will never get maried again. Never.

so just reading through all of this i look up and say to my wife
Darling, I love you
she says
what have you spent on that bloody car now...
i look down and mumble, not on the vendor section

its hard work at times but is it worth it YES if you have the right partner who becomes your wife sometimes i dont like it but i wouldnt want to be without her either

I won't pretend to have all the answers, as I have only been married about a year and a half. One thing I made a big effort to do when we started getting serious was have some discussions with her about how I felt trust and communication were the most important things to keep a relationship stable, and that I didn't want her to ever lie to me because she thought she knew the answer I wanted to hear.

This was a struggle at first, because she was afraid I might leave if she didn't do whatever it took to make me happy. You can't keep up a lie forever even for the best reasons, without some stress and resentment, and that's not a recipe for success. Once she started telling me what she really thought, things actually got a lot easier.

That, and we talked a lot about our views on life, morality, and especially on how to handle family/children. You don't have to be exactly the same kind of person to be compatible, but the greater the differences, the more trust and communication become vital to work them out.

I was married one time, just like a typical guy who doesn't learn from his mistakes, got married again. All the posts here are very true meaning the good and the bad. I used to think(when I was single), I am smarter than those people who got divorced cuz I can/willing to work really hard at it to make it work. I worked so hard at it even moved 1/2 way around the world(from San Diego!!!w/ one way ticket) to where she is from(on the equator) to have a better life with a nice expat $$alary, but boy was I wrong. Nearly committed suicide living in a new country, life was so meaningless and knowing no one close.

After a simple gravity calculation, jumping from 6th floor would land me only in the wheelchair and 9th floor had no vacancy. Make a long story short, I kissed the ground when I landed in LAX to restart my 2nd life knowing what this country has to offer.

A few legal things about US divorce I learned: Contrary to common believe, The courts don't make it easy. My was about as simple as it can be with no child support, no alimony, no assets to fight over...etc. Just the $1300 attorney fee w/ filing and I was done and took about 9-10 months but I also had a good lawyer who is not greedy.

That marriage was 6yrs+ of daily hell and I learned a lot about myself....especially extreme patience and self-control of what I was enduring but now looking back, it was just false hope and kept trying harder and harder to please and to make thing work, besides, neither one of us had the guts to file but ultimately we failed. Counseling, therapy, advise, etc. was total waste of time and money.

The take away for me is to be happy w/w/o a gf or a spouse thru family, friends, church, hobbies, learning new things etc. Do things that is meaningful and don't expect the other person to make you happy and be yourself. I am also a Big like Dave to help someone else to make less mistakes in life than me.

I've been married for almost 2 years and I couldn't imagine life without my wife now. It's different than having a girlfriend. There's unconditional trust and support, it's nice to have. Even though she admits she does not understand my passion for the NSX, she supports me anyway because she knows it makes me happy.

Although I maintain that my wife is still my girlfriend too :D So you could say it's everything that makes having a girlfriend nice plus more.

-Vivan

Edit: I do think it is important not to rush into a marriage. We were dating for almost 4 years before getting married and I would say that should be a rough minimum.

Last edited:
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RU1GGwGmK5c" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Last edited:
Let me come at this from a little different perspective. I met my wife in church and not in one of those lonely hearts singles groups. One Sunday, I was minding my own business and this tall, long legged, blond with amazing blue eyes sat next to me in the pew. After a few weeks of her making sure to sit by me (my story) or me trying to sit by her (her story) we struck up a conversation then dated for two years before we got married. We were 31 and established in our careers.

While we were planning the wedding we were also building a house. We joked that if our relationship could survive that, we could survive anything. Little did we know how true that was. We had a lot in common. We both loved sports. We played basketball and softball in leagues. (In H.S. she started on a state basketball champion team) And for someone so sweet and humble, she was a fearce competitor. We also raced sailboats competitively together. And most importantly we laughed a lot. Over the years we developed many inside jokes that all someone had to do was say some key word. Then, she and I would share a look and start laughing. That provided some awkward situations at times but we were entertained.

After six years of marriage and a couple of stressful and expensive fertility procedures we had our son. Was everything running smoothly? Not really. It seems that sometimes traumas of the past can rear their ugly heads in stressful situations. We could let it destroy us or we could find a way to work through it. So we went into counceling and were able to understand and resolve our problem.

For the next 11 years we were happy watching our son grow, coaching baseball and basketball and being involved in our community through various charities. Then in 2005, my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. So I became coach and cheerleader and she became fearce competitor. I did my crying in private. Attitude is everything and she rarely faultered. But, the thing about cancer is that most people don't die of the cancer, they die from the complications caused by the cancer. Well it got into her spinal fluid and she had a couple of spinal hemorages that left her paralyzed from the chest down. Meaning that she was confined to a wheel chair. And I had to change diapers again. But her spirits never changed right up to when her body finally lost the battle last year. We were married 24 years.

I share this not for sympathy (we've had plenty of that) but to illustrate devotion and that marriage is a difficult team sport that has more than one participant. Would I go through all of this again? Yes I would do it in a heart beat.

I pass on the following advice to my son and anyone else who cares: Memorize these words; "I love you honey so I'll compromise and do it your way." (I avoided a lot of misery with that line.) And, if you are concidering marriage, just ask yourself; "would I be willing to change this person's diaper?" If her answer and your answer is yes, it's likely you found the right one. I hope you find whatever or whoever makes you happy.

Last edited:
another powerful perspective...in sickness and in health........you share everything ...

you cant buy your Girlfriend this shirt

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

tumblr_lxjmvz9e9D1r02znlo1_500.jpg

Let me come at this from a little different perspective. I met my wife in church and not in one of those lonely hearts singles groups. One Sunday, I was minding my own business and this tall, long legged, blond with amazing blue eyes sat next to me in the pew. After a few weeks of her making sure to sit by me (my story) or me trying to sit by her (her story) we struck up a conversation then dated for two years before we got married. We were 31 and established in our careers.

While we were planning the wedding we were also building a house. We joked that if our relationship could survive that, we could survive anything. Little did we know how true that was. We had a lot in common. We both loved sports. We played basketball and softball in leagues. (In H.S. she started on a state basketball champion team) And for someone so sweet and humble, she was a fearce competitor. We also raced sailboats competitively together. And most importantly we laughed a lot. Over the years we developed many inside jokes that all someone had to do was say some key word. Then, she and I would share a look and start laughing. That provided some awkward situations at times but we were entertained.

After six years of marriage and a couple of stressful and expensive fertility procedures we had our son. Was everything running smoothly? Not really. It seems that sometimes traumas of the past can rear their ugly heads in stressful situations. We could let it destroy us or we could find a way to work through it. So we went into counceling and were able to understand and resolve our problem.

For the next 11 years we were happy watching our son grow, coaching baseball and basketball and being involved in our community through various charities. Then in 2005, my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. So I became coach and cheerleader and she became fearce competitor. I did my crying in private. Attitude is everything and she rarely faultered. But, the thing about cancer is that most people don't die of the cancer, they die from the complications caused by the cancer. Well it got into her spinal fluid and she had a couple of spinal hemorages that left her paralyzed from the chest down. Meaning that she was confined to a wheel chair. And I had to change diapers again. But her spirits never changed right up to when her body finally lost the battle last year. We were married 24 years.

I share this not for sympathy (we've had plenty of that) but to illustrate devotion and that marriage is a difficult team sport that has more than one participant. Would I go through all of this again? Yes I would do it in a heart beat.

I pass on the following advice to my son and anyone else who cares: Memorize these words; "I love you honey so I'll compromise and do it your way." (I avoided a lot of misery with that line.) And, if you are concidering marriage, just ask yourself; "would I be willing to change this person's diaper?" If her answer and your answer is yes, it's likely you found the right one. I hope you find whatever or whoever makes you happy.

Thank you

After 40 years of marriage, a husband and wife went for counseling.
The wife went into a tirade, listing every problem they had ever had in the years they had been married.
On and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, an entire laundry list of unmet needs she had endured.
Finally, the therapist got up, walked around the desk and after asking the wife to stand, he embraced and kissed her long and passionately as her husband watched - with a raised eyebrow.
The woman shut up and quietly sat down as though in a daze. The therapist turned to the husband and said, "This is what your wife needs at least 3 times a week. Can you do this?"
"Well, I can drop her off here on Mondays and Wednesdays, but on Fridays, I fish.

my perspective is that of someone who was married for a long time,and had it end.i have had a great time being single for a while,met the person i should have met the first time,and will eventually marry again.two things i learned are-
1.get married for a positive reason,like you want to spend your life with the person,not a negative reason like fear of being alone
2.talk about things,don't assume your goal or reasons are the same as hers.
when i got married,i assumed she wanted the same things i did-closeness,a partnership. i believe now she wanted just the socially respectable appearance of a marriage,and would have been delighted with a distant workaholic husband,not one who wanted to be close to her. so,talk about your goals.when it ended,i was devastated,thought it was the worst thing that had ever happened.and it was hard ,harder in some ways than the death of my parents.but it turned out to be a good thing,because after about a year of misery i got happy again,found my old self,and did a lot of things i never would have done.one was getting my nsx, partly as a reward to myself for successfully getting through a difficult time.i have had many great things happen by being open to them.do not fool yourself,even the best marriage has many hard times.
i do think in hindsight i overlooked some potential problems because of my desire to be with someone.so that's the other lesson.i do think being alone as you get older could be harder,but would try to guard against getting married just for that negative reason.
so now i am hopefully a bit wiser,definitely older,and look forward to doing it right the second time.

Last edited:
Back