• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel door doesn't "pop" open

My fuel door always requires that I simultaneously hold the interior fuel lever up, reach out of the car and physically push the fuel door open from the back. The lever works fine, as does the latch that holds it in place. It just doesn't pop open on its own enough so that I can get my hand behind it to flip it open the rest of the way. It's a bit embarrassing at gas stations for that brief second while I stretch out across my car, but I've learned to do it quickly. Thank god its on the driver side, otherwise I'd be asking people to help me gas up.

I've grown tired of dealing with this issue, so I ask the question: How do I fix this? How does the spring mechanism work for the fuel door? I don't see any sort of spring in the fuel door area. So perhaps I am missing a piece/part? Is the spring one of those "v" shaped springs that just applies pressure when the latch is released? Or is it a spring that is built into the hinge? *scratches head*. Pictures and a part number would help greatly if you have any.

mine does the same thing HAHAHA I do the stretch thing while pulling the lever to. I thought I was the only one.. anyway I tried to fix it, I looked at other hondas and the only thing I could figure out was the knob that you you can push in with your finger inside doesnt go in deep enough to let the springed door open, I gave up, one it, but was going to address it later. if you get the answer let me know.

My fuel door always requires that I simultaneously hold the interior fuel lever up, reach out of the car and physically push the fuel door open from the back. The lever works fine, as does the latch that holds it in place. It just doesn't pop open on its own enough so that I can get my hand behind it to flip it open the rest of the way. It's a bit embarrassing at gas stations for that brief second while I stretch out across my car, but I've learned to do it quickly. Thank god its on the driver side, otherwise I'd be asking people to help me gas up.

I've grown tired of dealing with this issue, so I ask the question: How do I fix this? How does the spring mechanism work for the fuel door? I don't see any sort of spring in the fuel door area. So perhaps I am missing a piece/part? Is the spring one of those "v" shaped springs that just applies pressure when the latch is released? Or is it a spring that is built into the hinge? *scratches head*. Pictures and a part number would help greatly if you have any.
I had the same problem when my car was new. The door was to far forward(towards the front of the car) You can move the door slightly to the rear(2 screws) and it should work fine:biggrin:

it works via a bent, flat metal spring that sits between the two hinges of your fuel door. you might have lost yours as mine is loose but still sits in its place. maybe someone can post a pic of this spring.

Ah ha! a flat metal spring. I had a feeling it was one of those. I definitely don't have this spring. If someone could post a picture of it, that'd be awesome. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one out there doing this. I look like I'm playing defense on a basketball court when I do this "maneuver" at gas stations; slightly squatting, arms spread in a full stretch looking left and right.

Stevey HAHAH me to. But I got it down so fast that you cant even tell. its like Lightning fast. LOL,

I am gonna go take mine apart right now and post the pics if moving the door slightly back works..

but I didnt think of that when I had mine apart. DUUUUUHHHH

Ok looking at the door, if I move the door slightly to the front the lines will mess up thick gap in the rear and thin in the front, I dont wanna mess with it. and I dont see a spring in the door, only the lever action spring

Last edited:
Ok if I move the RED Arrows to the front to Make the green Spring not make as hard of a contact on the Yellow the gas doors lines would be thick in the rear and thin on the front of the door. wont look right.

I dont see a spring at the blue arrows, maybe its internal.

and I have thought about shaving a little off of the Yellow Cut-out to make it work but I dont know!

what do you guys think?

picture.php

Last edited:
Cut a little chunk of rubber ball & wedge it between the two "ears" of the spring. Used some stretchy type caulk as adhesive.

Door popped open great after that. 10 min max

what 2 ears? did you have to take the entire door off or can you wedge it in place? reference my photo please

what 2 ears? did you have to take the entire door off or can you wedge it in place? reference my photo please

The spring in my '05 was a small "V" shaped piece of spring steel that clipped in place. Put it In between the ears of the "V" - made it "boing" open. Door does not come off.

Your photo could use some clarity for my eyes.

What is that stuff circled in blue? I don't have anything that looks like that. It looks like some sort of rubber spring, but I can't tell. Also, thanks for the part number. What does the spring look like? flat V shape? coil?

Last edited:
The attached pictures show a picture of the spring and the location on the car.

The spring is the black piece in the center of the picture. there is a small opening in the piece that it clips into.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 2010-06 NSX Fuel Door Spring 002.jpg
    2010-06 NSX Fuel Door Spring 002.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,018
  • 2010-06 NSX Fuel Door Spring 001.jpg
    2010-06 NSX Fuel Door Spring 001.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,116
OHHHH thats whats missing on my car. I will go to the dealership today and order it, thanks for the photo. sorry my camera is a piece of junk.

that pic helped thanks

Ok if I move the RED Arrows to the front to Make the green Spring not make as hard of a contact on the Yellow the gas doors lines would be thick in the rear and thin on the front of the door. wont look right.

I dont see a spring at the blue arrows, maybe its internal.

and I have thought about shaving a little off of the Yellow Cut-out to make it work but I dont know!

what do you guys think?

picture.php

Do not move anything, just get the spring:).

Regards,
LarryB

Hey guys after looking at the part, I noticed that the 1993 Accord has a similar one, so I took it off one of my other cars

(93 accord,first college Car will never sell cuz you how many girls were in that back seat)

anyway the spring is almost exactly the same. so I took it off put it on my NSX and works perfectly. I had to bend the tabs a little to get it to fit right but saved me some $$$ and didnt have to wait for it shipped to me.

so if you go to a junkyard pull one off for free........

Whats that little black rubber looking thing in Larry Bastanza's photo circled in blue? Will I need that too in order to get the fuel door to pop open?

Ok Guys I went to the junk yard and got the springy thing from a 1993 honda accord. its not an exact match to the NSX spring but it works. I had to bend the little prongs wider to make it fit on the NSX gas door but It works exactly like is should now. here the pic of the part you need..

picture.php

I'm all for doin' the free stuff, and thats an awesome find. Never the less, I kinda want to do this with the legit parts, esp. since the 'stealership' is a lot closer to me than the junkyards. That being said, if I order just the spring, is that all I need? Or are there other parts that should be installed also, (the stuff in bastanza's image circled in blue). C'mon guys! focus those cameras! I'd take a pic of mine, but its just all bare bones, so it won't help matters.

that pic was actually mine Larry copy and pasted it, yes thats all you need its a metal type spring. and it just clicks on to the door hinges

Hrm. So, I thought the problem was solved, but it looks like i need to get some sort of rubber stopper to attach either to the end of the spring, or to the fuel door itself, because while the spring does actuate, it doesn't do it enough to get the door to pop open. Still have to reach out and, "play defense on a b-ball court" to get the damn thing open. It's been a long while since I've installed the spring. Just thought to post again since it's still bugging me. Wonder if I'm still missing parts.

Gently bend the spring so it is a little bit wider and provides more tension. When mine gets weak and won't open or opens weakly, this little tweak always fixes it.
Acuman

Back