• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel Pump going out?

Car will start and run for awhile and then die out. It then will sometimes not start, like its not getting fuel. Any ideas besides the fuel pump and maybe a clogged filter? 1992, 50K. Don't know if the filter has ever been changed.

The pump is in the tank, where is the filter. I moved and can't find my service manuals.

Thanks

As Brian stated, likely a main relay..do a search here on Prime. Other possibilities is a bad ground or ignition switch. IMO, relay should be changed anyway as it is cheap insurance and a very easy DIY.

Jeff

I change my fuel filter every 2/3 years. suggest the hoses as well after 10 years, it will be brittle with the heat in the engine compartment. Not expensive but worth the peace of mind.

You may want to do a search on fuel filter. Some have had real problems replacing it. Unless you have impact tools or are a good wrench yourself, you may want to take it to Acura to do this. It's easy to get to though - it's in plain view.

Does the tank come out for pump replacement?

We just did the procedure of changing the fuel pump with taking the fuel tank out. There are no mysteries about taking the fuel tank out but one hose and its clamp were a full hour job only refitting it. What a PITA! The connector to the fuel pump (not the one of the fuel gauge) is only accessible when the fuel tank is lowered by about 5-8 inches. Special care is needed here as the connecting wire doesn't like to be strechted.
I'm glad they fail about every 20 years or so and not on a daily basis.

Oh, and BTW: I've eliminated the hesitation below 4k rpm with the new OEM pump definitely. :)

Last edited:
It's much easier taking out the tank completely and doing it on the ground, away from the car.

As soon as the tank is out it's a 10 min job. There's no way changing the fuel pump without taking the fuel tank out. :wink:

Here is what I would try, that sounded like mine come to find out it was in the switch. The way to check it is when it dies and will not stay cranked is to try cranking the car but once it hits barely let the key go but not all the way. Mine stayed cranked so they said it was the switch. The form says clean the contacts but have not got to yet. Just a suggestion.

How much clearance is needed below the bottom of the car to remove the fuel tank to change out the pump? In other words, do you need a lift or can it be done reasonably well on jackstands?

How much clearance is needed below the bottom of the car to remove the fuel tank to change out the pump? In other words, do you need a lift or can it be done reasonably well on jackstands?

We've used a lift. You need quite high jack stands, two feet at minimum I guess.

Back