• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gauging Interest: Rear Diffuser for 91-01

I am working on my next bLodisign project right now and wanted to show you guys and get your feedback. I wanted to do a slightly aggressive diffuser for the 91-01 cars. These are photos of my mock up made just out of cardboard so please excuse the slight bowing and such. The fins are supposed to be slightly splayed out like they are shown, I did this for a bit of style, unless you guys would prefer them straight up and down. I am planning on doing these out of 1/16" or 1/8" aluminum. They would be adjustable fore and aft to make sure they clear your exhaust and will use the stock mounting bolts on the car already. I am getting quotes back from a few suppliers right now but my tentative price would be around $250.
I would love to hear your thoughts and I will keep you guys updated and put photos up once I get the first one made and on my car.
2806255942_b2f3276c97_o.jpg

2805405011_02f204ae3c_o.jpg

2806291828_578d20ec9c_o.jpg

+1 loving this idea, i would rather it have up and down if thats possible

im in !

I like the idea too but with the fins straight up and down.

I've been waiting for someone to produce a rear diffuser like this for 91-01s!

That is very nice! Great idea. I agree with others however, straight fins would be my preference. Although I'm not too interested, as I've done the 02+ rear valance with DF Diffuser similar to yours.

Glad to see people still making new/different products! :smile:

Cool, I figured there would be interest for this. Good feedback so far guys, thanks! I can certainly have them done with the fins straight up and down. I should have a final quote from the supplier tomorrow and have pricing. Then probably will try to get one first one done next week and check the fit, then kick off a batch of them.
As far as the stock spats, you can judge for yourself on my car as it has stock spats still..I think it works ok since the diffuser is black and doesn't really lend itself to being tied into the spats visually, but some nice lower spats certainly wouldn't hurt....just my opinion though.

Looks great...too bad I already bought the '02 rear.

Keep up the good work!

Definetly interetest!! what's a good set of Spats for my car? or should I just pony up and go with an 02+ rear end?

Do it - pm me - take my $250. I'll be very happy! :biggrin:

The most important thing is to make sure it mounts well since it will be scraping pavement and seeing high speeds. I love the style either way. Great idea that has been long in waiting.

Do something like red_dragon's:
n48914401_41081445_3155.jpg

i guess i am the only one who likes it just the way it is. at least from the pics, looks great. does it do anything beyond cosmetics?

I can possibly have them done in two versions, the splayed and the straight up and down if there are other people who also like the splayed. I personally like the splayed which is why I built the mock up like that. I think it would be easy enough to have them built both ways, just a matter of how far the shop bends them.
Diffusers are supposed to help accelerate the air from underneath the car thus helping downforce....that said...I don't have a wind tunnel in my garage and can't really make any performance claims....so lets just say its cosmetic and if it actually would help aero....bonus!:smile:

Do it - pm me - take my $250. I'll be very happy! :biggrin:

The most important thing is to make sure it mounts well since it will be scraping pavement and seeing high speeds. I love the style either way. Great idea that has been long in waiting.

It will mount using the existing bolt locations under the stock "diffuser" These are very rigid, I will most likely provide longer bolts though. I wouldn't trust a big piece of aluminum on the back of the car to just 3M tape.

Do something like red_dragon's:
n48914401_41081445_3155.jpg

I like the look of that one Oyagi, I just wonder how rigid it would be. You can see in my mock up I added a "tail" flap on the back, this kinda gives the whole thing a "spine" and some rigidity. I just would hate for it to be flimsy.

That said, I just got quotes back from the supplier. I think I am going to go with 1/8" aluminum, this will give it a little more substantial look. I think my tenative price should be about right, I'll update if it changes though.
Also I wanted to ask you guys about the finish. I was thinking of shipping them in bare aluminum, that way you can finish them how ever you want. Flat black, body color, brush finish it, polish it, leave it as bare aluminum....etc. What do you guys think?

Looking at that design more I am worried it wouldn't clear all exhausts. With the center bump up like that...I don't even think it would clear my setup, unless you made it really short. What is everyone else's preference?

I didnt even think about it clearing the exhaust. Im on board for whatever you end up making but maybe make one with the streight fins and another thats a bit more radical? Either way cant wait to see where the goes:biggrin:

I was just out playing with my mock up a bit more. I think if I had them put the fins at about an 80-85 degree bend instead of 90 everyone would be happy. It looks pretty much straight up and down, but gives it just a bit of 'tude and also by not putting them straight at 90 if one got off by a degree or something it wouldn't look like it was bent the wrong way. Little car designer tricks for the eye. :wink:
Its possible I could try to do a little crazier one down the road. I originally was thinking about doing a full undertray/diffuser combo, but I wanted to start a bit smaller right now. I just wanted to do a design that was aggressive, but not too over the top for most people.

Put me down for one. I would like to see the finish product both the straight and splayed.
Here is another idea. Can you bend the outter fins outwards (towards the exhaust tips) ? Hopefully the picture will give you a better idea of what I'm trying to say.
600x400-2006062500004-60.jpg

Thanks
Rahim

Hi Ryan,
Vertical is the intended angle for aerodynamic purposes. I'd stay with that.
Have you given any thought to having the leading edge go forward under the car and attaching forward of the muffler? Possibly to the aluminun under frame, for aerodynamic purposes as well? This will smooth the airflow as it passes under the uneven surfaces and transion to the back of the car. Per previous testing cooling shouldn't be affected.
Your next project could be a small panel to cover the fuel tank opening, offered in natural allluminun or powder coated in black.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
Hi Ryan,
Vertical is the intended angle for aerodynamic purposes. I'd stay with that.
Have you given any thought to having the leading edge go forward under the car and attaching forward of the muffler? Possibly to the aluminun under frame, for aerodynamic purposes as well? This will smooth the airflow as it passes under the uneven surfaces and transion to the back of the car. Per previous testing cooling shouldnt be affected.
Your next project could be a small panel to cover the fuel tank opening, offered in natural allluminun or powder coated in black.

Cheers
nigel

Actually, making it a larger piece going all the way forward was my original intention, but I was worried about clearing different exhaust setups and not to mention the size and weight of the finished piece, as well as costs.
I think vertical is the way to go for sure on the fins. .. I do like the idea of the gas tank cover too...I guess I am building my confidence up here by starting small. :redface:

Back