• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gauging Interest: Rear Diffuser for 91-01

This is just a thought but I was wondering what this would look like if an owner color matched the curled-up rear lip to his/her car. Could possibly duplicate the look of the +02 valance??? Throw some rear spats on and this product could potentially give the look of two very popular upgrades (rear diffuser and +02 valance). Might have to play with the lip a little....just a thought.

I was wondering if people would do this. I think it would be interesting if someone wanted to try it out. You could easily mask and paint the rear lip.

Since it looks like some want 1/16" and some want 1/8" I will see if they can do a 3/32" and hopefully everyone will be happy with that. When I do the add on undertray down the road I will do it out of 1/16" to keep weight down.
I am going to keep trying to put some miles on the car this week to rack up the test miles and I will try to get the supplier kicked off on these by the end of the week. :smile:

Looks great man. Keep it thicker since I know for sure I'm gonna scrap backing out of my driveway and going in to some.

Price please.:biggrin:

Is the goal to be functional or cosmetic/representative?

From Blodi's earlier post

Diffusers are supposed to help accelerate the air from underneath the car thus helping downforce....that said...I don't have a wind tunnel in my garage and can't really make any performance claims....so lets just say its cosmetic and if it actually would help aero....bonus!:smile:

^ Yup, thats right. I originally just wanted to do a more aggressive looking version of the small type r piece that everyone adds on the 02+ valance, but for the 91-01's
I am planning on doing a underbody tray that can be used with this piece in the future as well...that will certainly add function to the form.
If you havn't had enough pics yet, here are some I snapped today of it out in the sun finally..I kinda have mine setup slid back a bit farther than most would probably since my exhaust tips stick kinda far out..still waiting to hear back from the supplier on the final price since I keep changing quantities and thickness I also need to get some powder coating quotes and then I'll have a final price for everyone.
2863068777_272d7a384c_b.jpg

2863067547_1010c63d29_b.jpg

2863899806_c9f6e76a15_b.jpg

did you slide the diffuser out more on the current pics? compared to the ones in the garage when it was painted?

looks a bit far out but still looks great

Ok, I got final prices back from the supplier and powder coater. The price would be $325 plus shipping. The higher price is mainly due to the powder coating and also the slightly thicker material...this is for 3/32" aluminum where I was originally quoting for 1/16". I figured this is the best solution since its pretty split on 1/16" vs 1/8" so I went right in the middle....so it should weigh a couple lbs less than the 1/8" one I have now. Most of the price increase is in the powder coating though, I am going to check with one other powder coater on Monday and see if they can do it any cheaper...but my guess is they will come in about the same if not more. I do think its worth the extra $ though to have them powder coated so they will hold up nicely to the heat and abuse they will get. The paint on mine is already chipping in spots (mainly do to my lack of prepping it before I painted it though).
I had my friend drive my car around the other night while I followed to see if the part moves or jiggles while the car is moving....its dead solid...here is a shot of it at 75mph....
2870324183_7cef0c3b87_b.jpg

I still haven't scrapped it yet on anything, but it does come close backing out of my driveway.
Let me know your guys thoughts, if everyone is cool with this I'll have the supplier kick them off on Monday and I could probably start getting parts shipped in a 2-3 weeks I would guess.

Can you sell some units unpainted, I prefer mine that way so I can have it color painted the way i want it , might look good as body color, berlina black in my case instead of satin or black, or I can do it that way too, maybe some prime members want to have it painted color matched with their cars color. What would be the cost for the raw unpainted version?

Can you sell some units unpainted, I prefer mine that way so I can have it color painted the way i want it , might look good as body color, berlina black in my case instead of satin or black, or I can do it that way too, maybe some prime members want to have it painted color matched with their cars color. What would be the cost for the raw unpainted version?

exactly what i was thinking. how about sell one powder coated version and one unpainted version. and we can decide what we like to do.

This is totally doable. I originally wanted to do them just bare for this reason, but some wanted them finished, which is fine, I can do them both ways. Those who have expressed interest let me know which way you want it, so I can figure roughly how many I should get powder coated.
The bare aluminum would be $275 plus shipping.

shipping quote to: 95833

I want it coated. will pay $325.
It looks amazing Blodi. Keep up the great work. I can't wait.:biggrin:

would you please let me know how far the diffuser extend from the factory valance? I want to ensure that I can clear my driveway.

I assume this would clear the oem muffler?

What is the shipping cost to 91780 please...

Thx..:wink:

Back