• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GTR... Can't do it

Although the NSX was ahead of its time when first introduced 20 years ago, but technology has changed so much there's really no comparison anymore.

I wouldn't recommend adding the super charger just trying to keep up with the crowd. Its probably wise to put that money into a brand new platform. GT-R, 911, R8, or the new NSX, etc.

Driven a buddies 09, recently tracked a 2013 and they are amazing machines!

As a dad with one baby and one more on the way,you start to appreciate having two extra back seats, even tiny ones is better than none. My NSX rarely gets driven (1000 miles per ear) and this might be my last year as I am looking for a replacement. The gtr is high on my list. I wanted a R8 v10 spider but same problem as NSX, only 2 sats :(

So far only the GTR and Porsche turbo fit the bill. Who knows, I may stick to the NSX since I plan to pick up an X5m or X6m later this year to replace my ISF and be content :wink:
What a baller...

Guys, one thing I want to point out whether you love or hate GTR's.......

When Acura had the 2005 NSX on dealer showrooms, they had a VERY tough time selling them for $89k per car.

GTR's on the other hand are at $107k for a 2013 model and Nissan dealer's can't keep them on their lots! Even being sold at MSRP I think $107k is a ton of money in today's economy yet they sell them FAST.

So +1 for Nissan :biggrin:

When Acura had the 2005 NSX on dealer showrooms, they had a VERY tough time selling them for $89k per car.

GTR's on the other hand are at $107k for a 2013 model and Nissan dealer's can't keep them on their lots! Even being sold at MSRP I think $107k is a ton of money in today's economy yet they sell them FAST.

Acura is probably looking at the sales numbers of that and the R8 and thinking WTF!!

Acura is probably looking at the sales numbers of that and the R8 and thinking WTF!!

Well there should be no surprise. Nissan has been continuosly updating the GT-R, the numbers don't lie. NSX pretty much stayed the same except only a couple changes during the 15 years in production.

Well there should be no surprise. Nissan has been continuosly updating the GT-R, the numbers don't lie. NSX pretty much stayed the same except only a couple changes during the 15 years in production.

Yes. And the fact that the GTR's quantitative numbers represent a great value/money with its contemporaries even still today.

LOL, so true! Who cares if the Acura showrooms look nicer than Nissan, that is the lamest excuse for a car's performance.

You want to be treated like VIP, just go buy any model Lexus. (Other brand marques can really learn a few things from Lexus Customer Service)

That's not the case over here. I heard that Nissan dealer has 3 sitting there collecting dust.

So +1 for Nissan
That's not the case over here. I heard that Nissan dealer has 3 sitting there collecting dust.

Thats because it is not true, GTRs are not flying out of dealer showrooms. They may sell 100+ per month. Maybe. That said, it still compares favorably to 2002 NSX sales figures of over 200 for the whole year.

Last edited:
It's not even close!! An R8 is less to maintain through the dealer. Somehow Nissan decided its ok to put a $100,000 customer into the Nissan reception room with a water cooler and and stained chairs surrounded by Versas and altimas while they charge Ferrari money to do some work on the car. I'm sure some owners will chime in and disagree but check the brake job costs. It's over 7K each time. The Acura dealer is downright luxurious in comparison.

Just find a good Mercedes dealer and buy an AMG car. A good dealer will drive to your house and drop off a loaner, take your car, make repairs and bring it back. After you buy the car you'll never have to see the inside of the dealership again, well until you buy another car. The AMG cars are neck snapping fast too.

I watched that interview. Complete BS. Weight and downforce are not the same and his justification/reasoning for the car weighing so much was nonsense.

Thank god someone else called bullshit on that bullshit. What a ridiculous way to justify a fat ass! The gtr handles the way it does because of electronics and computers, period.

AMG cars are fast, but can still be boring. Buy something else if you want fast and fun, IMO.

Last edited:
Just find a good Mercedes dealer and buy an AMG car. A good dealer will drive to your house and drop off a loaner, take your car, make repairs and bring it back. After you buy the car you'll never have to see the inside of the dealership again, well until you buy another car. The AMG cars are neck snapping fast too.

All that and ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE depreciation too!!

All that and ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE depreciation too!!

My buddy loves AMG cars but he's a smart buyer and always buys one year older and usually the depreciation is around 30-40% off MSRP depending on the car and miles.

I was actually looking at 2011 E63 AMG's since in the used market they are really a bargain for what you get!

GTR's actually hold their value well (at least the newer ones). Even 09's with low miles are still going around $65k

If those dealers posted the new 2013 cars at $1000 off MSRP on the GTR forum I bet it will sell pretty fast. Every car posted there gets sold quickly if the price is fair.

I picked up my 05 NA2 in April and have loved it since. I was in the market for either a 996TT, possibly 997TT and GT-R - the NSX at the time, was actually a distant option.

I had the opportunity to test drive a GT-R, and as can be agreed, the performance is incredible. Bang for buck performance, there is zero competition. I loved the drive and it made me consider one that much more. I have also taken rides in 996TTs on the track, and they are great cars too.

Along came the opportunity to buy the NSX from a friend selling it at an amazing price. I've owned Hondas all my life and I know what they're all about. I also knew of the car before hand and had a good idea about the condition, maintenance, etc. Basically, it was mint, low-mileage, essentially stock example of the final production year.

The value of this NSX was enough to sway me away from the GT-R. I had also decided at this point that I wanted a 997TT if I went Porsche, but they were out of my price range. I didn't even take it for a test drive (roads still had snow) before making the purchase.

I've not regretted it since. I completely agree with the adage "if you have to ask how much it costs (for GT-R/Porsche maintenance), you can't afford it". The NSX is the perfect package for me. The initial costs, the cost of ownership, the performance, the reliability, the efficiency. It all comes together in a car that worry free, rare/exotic, looks incredible and has F1 inspired performance. While I was blown away by the GT-Rs raw performance, big horsepower and displacement were never something that impressed me. The lightweightedness and incredible chasis design more than compensates for the (rated) horsepower of the car.

Personally, for a four seater fast as $hit car, the Mercedes AMG is the way to go. I wish you could lease one :(.

Alternatively, I may get one of the Diesel's in the next couple of years. I have the ML500 Bluetec and the 400 FT lbs of torque at 1800 RPM feels bad ass. Ok, after 25 mph you're wondering where the gas went..but still stop light to 150 ft, that SUV is fast. As fast, or faster, than my supercharged NSX.

Long point is.. look at the AMG cars.

Even if you bought used, values plummet for amg cars. There is nothing that special about them and they soon lose their luster to many buyers as maintenance costs factor in. I would reconsider buying any after having had personal experience with several Mercedes and amg cars. They have more than their fair share of problems, annoying and serious. They are also not that rare so it's always a buyers market- resale is pathetic.

Even if you bought used, values plummet for amg cars. There is nothing that special about them and they soon lose their luster to many buyers as maintenance costs factor in. I would reconsider buying any after having had personal experience with several Mercedes and amg cars. They have more than their fair share of problems, annoying and serious. They are also not that rare so it's always a buyers market- resale is pathetic.

Quite frankly ALL high-end cars in general plummet in value (AMG, M-cars, Maserati, Aston Martin) just to name a few. People do not buy these cars for investments, or I should hope not!

Very few cars can retain their value that well (NSX and Supra) are the only sports car that come to mind.

However if you look at Corolla, Camry and CR-V's in general they really hold their value well in comparo to their new prices. If you shop a new Camry and a used one, you will find they flatten out at some point and most good ones go fast :)

I think the only luxury brand that retains value is Lexus. I sold my IS-F for essentially what I paid for it (granted mine had some very high end mods and very very low miles)

rick

Quite frankly ALL high-end cars in general plummet in value (AMG, M-cars, Maserati, Aston Martin) just to name a few. People do not buy these cars for investments, or I should hope not!

rick

I think the Maserati may be the only one that rivals an AMG in depreciation. In some cases you can pick up an AMG for 80+% off after 5 years. The others aren't in the same league, especially the M-cars.

I picked a 2006 SL55 at random.
2006 SL55 AMG $125,000.00
723 Pewter Metallic
281 AMG Charcoal
It has 7 options:
051 Phone Sys. with Voice Control $1,450.00
219 Distronic $3,150.00
220 Parktronic $1,100.00
401 Active Ventilated Seats $1,260.00
415 Panorama Roof with Sunshade $1,900.00
614 Bi-Xenon Headlamps $780.00
889 Keyless-Go $1,080.00
Destination & Delivery $775.00
Gas Guzzler $2,200.00
TOTAL $138,555.00

This can now be had for approx $40K. I've seen much worse depreciation with other AMG models (my old boss had one and asked for my help selling it. I had to be the bearer of bad news as to its value).

I picked up my 05 NA2 in April and have loved it since. I was in the market for either a 996TT, possibly 997TT and GT-R - the NSX at the time, was actually a distant option.

I had the opportunity to test drive a GT-R, and as can be agreed, the performance is incredible. Bang for buck performance, there is zero competition. I loved the drive and it made me consider one that much more. I have also taken rides in 996TTs on the track, and they are great cars too.

Along came the opportunity to buy the NSX from a friend selling it at an amazing price. I've owned Hondas all my life and I know what they're all about. I also knew of the car before hand and had a good idea about the condition, maintenance, etc. Basically, it was mint, low-mileage, essentially stock example of the final production year.

The value of this NSX was enough to sway me away from the GT-R. I had also decided at this point that I wanted a 997TT if I went Porsche, but they were out of my price range. I didn't even take it for a test drive (roads still had snow) before making the purchase.

I've not regretted it since. I completely agree with the adage "if you have to ask how much it costs (for GT-R/Porsche maintenance), you can't afford it". The NSX is the perfect package for me. The initial costs, the cost of ownership, the performance, the reliability, the efficiency. It all comes together in a car that worry free, rare/exotic, looks incredible and has F1 inspired performance. While I was blown away by the GT-Rs raw performance, big horsepower and displacement were never something that impressed me. The lightweightedness and incredible chasis design more than compensates for the (rated) horsepower of the car.

I'm glad you got this 05 NSX at a good price, because I wouldn't reommend buying an 05 with low mileage at some of the prices people are asking for. For more than $60K, some close to $70K asking, there are better options out there.

Rick I agree completely, only except Mercedes and Audi are the worst offenders. And Maserati too. BMW M cars seem to hold their value better, especially gems like the Z8. They are not investments but you need to factor in depreciation as a cost of ownership or you will have underestimated the loss you will take. I suspect the gtr will hold value much better than any amg car due to its lore.

For more than $60K, some close to $70K asking, there are better options out there.

Obviously not everyone agrees with you otherwise they wouldn't sell for what they do. Prices are set by demand. They aren't staying on the market very long.

Back