• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

helmets (again ...) based on Ayrton's design

I've been thinking of getting one, for carting, track driving (once my NSX is running again), and maybe for motorcycle riding as well (once I get the license and Ducati bike).

From Ebay you can get this:

senna93jm-3.jpg

But then, getting one that's comfortable and safe is first priority. Based on that criteria, what's the best out there? Let's put motorcycle riding as most likely usage.

Do you know that car and motorcycles helmets have different needs? Motorcycles helmets are make for mutable hits. Some track check to see that you have the correct type.

Lance

Re: Are we on topic or not?

Your post was ironically pointless.

If you don’t understand my question, you apparently do understand the point of the 3rd post. So, maybe you can explain that after I give you this:

The thread was opened with a newbie question about getting one helmet for 3 separate uses; motorcycle, HPDE car driving and karts.

The 2nd post pointed out that there are distinct differences in helmet design and purpose which we all know points to the work of the Snell foundation.

The 3rd post shows someone ignoring those differences including wearing a driving suit not intended for skidding across the asphalt. So, what was Stuntman’s point? Does it mean that he (Stuntman) thinks Snell standards are BS? Or that he (the rider) thinks Snell standards are BS? And that nomex is abrasion resistant like leather? Or is the point that the guy is a well funded boy racer but in actuality nothing more than a clueless poser when it comes to motorcycle safety? Or maybe he’s a mutual friend of several Prime people, that this is an inside joke and he's not challenging the 2nd post? If someone thinks that Snell Standards are overcooked BS, I’d like some backup discussion to that point.

Ball is in your court; what is Stuntman's message and how would the original poster know that?

I have a feeling the bike rider is Billy(stuntman),if so I don't really know what his point was either:confused:

Wow, people can be way too serious sometimes...
I have a feeling the bike rider is Billy(stuntman),if so I don't really know what his point was either:confused:
Yea, that was me...

1 - i'm good friends with NSXalot
2 - I agree with his point that helmets have different safety standards and are designed for different types of impacts
3 - While agreeing with post #2 by my buddy lance, I jokingly stated "try telling that to this guy" - who (as docjohn figured out) was me.
4 - I've been riding for over 16 years, and have raced everything from karts to Formula cars to Sports cars for over 9 years...

...ok i'm done with numbers.

It was a joke -to show exactly what not to do (nomex, car helmet, gloves, shoes, etc...). FYI I had leathers on under the racing suit.

My post did not lead the OP to believe that nomex was a good abrasion resistant material nor that car helmets were acceptable for riding, I agree with Post #2s statement.

For the OP - You can use car and kart helmets interchangeably, my advice would be to get a good helmet for that and a separate for bike use. You can get good bike helmets that are pretty inexpensive -same for car helmets.

A great car helmet option would be the HJC AR11. IMO it's 95% as good as the benchmark Arai GP5 for less than 1/2 the cost:
http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/HJCHelmets/hjcautohelmets.html

www.thebellstore.com -has a lot of good deals on bike helmets as well. Arai is still the benchmark, but HJC, Bell, and many other companies offer great products for lower prices.

Last edited:
Are motorcylce helmets good for the track.. I love my old school Arai RX7RR:smile:
Many HPDE guys use motorcycle helmets. Although they aren't the best option, they work and may be acceptable for those kinds of events. If you plan on tracking your car often or at a higher level, it would be a good idea to invest in a real car helmet.

I kind of agree with "pay $5 on a helmet for a $5 head", but disagree in the fact that their are great deals on really good products out there... But the general rule of thumb is you don't want to be cheap when investing in safety equipment.

Last edited:
I kind of agree with "pay $5 on a helmet for a $5 head", but disagree in the fact that their are great deals on really good products out there... But the general rule of thumb is you don't want to be cheap when investing in safety equipment.

I can't tell you how many times I use to tell people that when I use to ride and was asked about m. gear.
I would've assumed (not knowing about car helmets) that motorcycle helmets provided "at least" as much protection... is that way off? I know other features are probably much different (air flow..etc).

Guys before you take your motorcycle helmet to an hpde please check with the hosting club as many are requiring auto ratings,at least here in the east.

Guys before you take your motorcycle helmet to an hpde please check with the hosting club as many are requiring auto ratings,at least here in the east.

Doc and others are correct. A number of track days organizations, including our group don't allow motorcycle helmets for liability reasons. This isn't to say mtorocycle helmets are not safe, just built for a different purpose.

Here's info we picked up from our good friends at Simpson Racing (www.TeamSimpson.com) about the difference between "M" and "SA" helmets for your reading pleasure:

http://www.MVPTrackTime.com/id76.html

Happy Motoring!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

IMHO the risk of contact on a track is greatest when you are a novice and when you are in advanced/instructor run group. When you are just learning(specially in a NSX) you are more likely to spin out. When you are more skilled and confident you are more likely to push yourself and the car to the limits to get that lap time down another tenth or two.

Therefore I would say you are much better off spending some money on a good helmet to begin with. A good one will last you 5 years. So if spread that cost out - that's about $100/yr for $500 helmet. Surely avoiding a Head Injury is worth that cost.

Btw, just to give you an idea. I ordered this helmet for the next track season. It fits me perfectly and is HANS compatible.

http://www.saferacer.com/arai-gp5-w-helmet.html?productid=488

Someone knows his stuff...

Yea, the HX and AR11 are the same shell as Schumi's 00-02 helmet. He had an updated shell from 03 on.

Up to last season, Nico Rosberg still uses that helmet. I'm not sure if he's changed to the RF1 this year, but I was quite surprised to see him use that Schuberth model after making it into F1.

edit: point of my replies are, the HJC is to be trusted :D

i use a bell helmet, works and looks great.

my only concern is that its no longer as snug as it used to be. i dont know how snug its suppose to be tho.

either way im getting a face sock and the fact that i am growing my hair out a little more anyways should help :)

I have run Shoei Troy Lee designs for the past decade. They are M rated. The main difference between M and SA is the SA has fire resistant materials. Also the SA has less view area. I am not overly concerned about the fire part, since all of the events that I run have great race rescue. I do have a camlock 5-pt, so escape is fairly easy, unless it is a drivers side impact. I probably will upgrade to a SA helmet after mine expires. As far as impact or strength difference, they are very similar, so those who are now scared that their cycle helmet is not as "safe" it just means that in a fire, it will not protect you as long. That is where the "liability" is raised by HPDE events. It is the "fire" risk.

i use a bell helmet, works and looks great.

my only concern is that its no longer as snug as it used to be. i dont know how snug its suppose to be tho.

either way im getting a face sock and the fact that i am growing my hair out a little more anyways should help :)

Depends on how old your bell is.If the hpde group you run with are sticklers they may require a newer sa snell rating which may be in ? if you helmet is older than 8 yrs.

haha nope, i only got it a few months ago! its good for a few more years. i think 2009 dont remmeber what the sticker says.

i think my head shrunk :(

Back