• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help! do i have a snap ring failure?

context: 92 5-spd MT, ~97k miles, IN SNAP RING RANGE

i was just on the highway chugging along at like 35mph in rush hour traffic when i heard a sound as though i was dragging a piece of the exhaust shielding on the ground or something. got worse when i got off the gas. stuck it in neutral and still heard a subtle kkkhhrrr-khhhr-khhhrr-khrrr (sp? ;D).

then switched to second, sounded wierd, applied some throttle and then let off, and it popped out of second towards neutral.

sounds like a snap ring failure so far, so i got off the highway as soon as i could (~1 mile) to pull over. by the time i got off the highway though, the transmission was fine again. parked it and haven't gotten back in yet.

did i:

1. have a snap ring failure, and then grind the heck out of it so good that i can't hear it anymore? is this even possible?

2. see early signs of snap ring failure, and will i see it get worse over time now?

3. do something completely different?

and then i guess my next q will be should i be trying to source a remanufactured tranny or do i just drop it off and ask them to replace the whole thing? (note: i am mechanically savvy enough to replace my intake air filter. that's pretty much it. doing the tranny job myself is not even close to an option.)

Was your shift lever moving as you accelerated and decelerated? Popping out of gear sounds like it could be the snap ring. But I don’t think it can get better after cooling off.
It almost sounds as if something got trapped under the car and was dragging.
As for repairing it, find a mechanic or dealer that you trust and order a rebuilt from SOS. Removal and install is somewhere in the 8 - 10 hour range. At $120-150 an hour, it is some money. You could always “upgrade” to the 6 speed. Only $3000-4000 more!

Last edited:
thank you for the replies. i've got the rainy day fund set aside for the tranny, so i guess i can handle the worst case.

Was your shift lever moving as you accelerated and decelerated? Popping out of gear sounds like it could be the snap ring.

yes, it was moving as i decelerated for sure, but it was stable under acceleration load.

But I don’t think it can get better after cooling off.

yeah... so since it seems to have completely resolved itself... should i just drive it locally (near the shop) for a bit to see if the problem recurs, or is this a stupid idea?

Until you can check the inspection port for presence (or lack) of the snap ring, don't drive it.

Jim Cozzolino is selling a 5 speed for $4250 plus shipping. I cannot vouch for him or the gearbox, but that is a starting point for a rebuilt unit. Depending on your car, it may be time to replace the clutch.

Jim the "COZ"

Until you can check the inspection port for presence (or lack) of the snap ring, don't drive it.

Jim Cozzolino is selling a 5 speed for $4250 plus shipping. I cannot vouch for him or the gearbox, but that is a starting point for a rebuilt unit. Depending on your car, it may be time to replace the clutch.

I can vouch for Jim Cozzolino, as can MANY, MANY in the NSx community including Chris @ SOS. If he says the tranny is good, it's GOOD. I think in his ad it says it has been rebuilt.

aw come on man don't be telling me stuff like this :'(

That's why I am more selective on when and where I go with my car now.

My brother works as an insurance adjuster and said that one of the customers had their NSX totaled when the driver side window was shattered - they couldn't find a replacement

I can vouch for Jim Cozzolino, as can MANY, MANY in the NSx community including Chris @ SOS. If he says the tranny is good, it's GOOD. I think in his ad it says it has been rebuilt.
That is good to hear. He looks like a good fellow, I just do t know him.
I would trust a reputable shop to rebuild a 5 speed after a snap ring failure. But it does require a new housing and skill.

thanks people for the help. updates on my side:

1. yes, it's a snap ring.
2. dealer confirmed that there is one transmission still available in the u.s., and the price quote was $13k. this is not a typo.
3. i'm feverishly digging through the SoS catalog to evaluate my options, looking like i'm in for a pretty penny.

cheers

2. dealer confirmed that there is one transmission still available in the u.s., and the price quote was $13k. this is not a typo.
3. i'm feverishly digging through the SoS catalog to evaluate my options, looking like i'm in for a pretty penny.

cheers

contact acurapartsforless..you can get a new 6spd for around 8k

Any reason you are not repairing it?

Here is my "Kit"(parts list) for the snap-ring repair:

91207-PR8-005 Transmission Case Seal
21200-PR8-000 Transmission Case
90602-PR8-000 Snap Ring
91307-PR8-005 Filter O-ring
91206-PR8-005 Clutch Housing Seal
90201-PR8-000 Countershaft Nut
91216-PR8-005 Mainshaft Seal
91003-PR8-008 Countershaft Bearing
91215-PR8-005 Shift Shaft Seal

You may find other items, like syncros that may need replacement, the list above is for a good trans, that just had a snap-ring failure, or may have one.

I just checked and the Transmission Case is available from Amayama. If you go there you can check all parts on the listing.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
thanks folks. i have bounced around the idea of getting rid of the car a few times and so this was a good opportunity to take stock again. like every other time i've thought about it, i still can't think of another car i'd rather daily drive for anything near this price. i'll end up getting it sorted out and keeping this wonderful car.

tranny due for some major maintenance anyway, i think i'd prefer a new/rebuilt of some kind to a repair. synchros were giving me trouble and who knows what else lurked beneath. can't justify the step up in cost to the 6-speed to myself yet though.

just navigating a likely job change and our first child's due date coming up really soon so gonna manage the timing of everything, but not worried about the outcomes here. really appreciate all your input.

EDIT: NO, i am not considering purchasing the $13k tranny. lots of better suggestions here that i'll be following up on :D

Last edited:
.......EDIT: NO, i am not considering purchasing the $13k tranny. lots of better suggestions here that i'll be following up on :D

I forgot to mention that State Farm paid for my tranny and driveshaft when I hit the pothole on the freeway.

:biggrin:

update: grabbed a blueprinted 5spd from SoS and their sport 275 clutch and had it dropped in. car feels much better - apparently i'd never driven an nsx with a fully functional transmission. yay!

Here is a quote from the nsxprime wiki "This is why there are cars that have 90k miles and no failure despite being in range and cars that failed with 2 or 3 thousand miles on them." So sorry to hear that you fell into the victim of the snap ring failure. Not sure how long you have own your car, but here is one way to look at it. With 97k miles, the car had a good strong run before it failed. Plus, it good to see you did the smart thing and kept some cash under your mattress knowing this may happen.

I have been watching the market and I have seen cars within the snap ring range without history of any transmission work. They do not sell as well because buyers are worried. With that said, the money you put into repairing your car may not be a bad thing. Firstly, you will be able to drive it again and maybe even keep it for many years to come, worry free! :D

You mentioned that you might sell your car. The new rebuild history will help keep its value. Depending on how this market goes, you might get your investment back. See link below for reference.

"The Classic Acura NSX Is a Better Investment Than the Dow"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...acura-nsx-is-a-better-investment-than-the-dow

Here is a car with the same amount of miles at 97k. Just like yours, it was within the snap ring range. Its history showed that the transmission was take care of. It sold for $44k.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-acura-nsx-33/

Unfortunately this is not an apples to apples comparison, but gives you the idea of the buyer's hesitation. At 13K miles, it fell below the reserve price and probably because of the transmission being within range with no service records.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-acura-nsx-29/

Did the $13K include labor or was that quote only for the transmission? :eek:

Back