• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Hmmm, all the trouble for nothing

Well, I have been looking for the perfect car to replace my 02 Honda Accord as my daily driver. I have a 99 Vette I purchased as my first new car, still brand new with only 6 miles on the odometer........A few years later got a 01 Viper RT and still never drove it either...it has 30 miles on the OD.........Got a Supra and spent $50K, in addition to the purchase price, only to make it un-streetable due to lag and other issues. So, I need something fun to finally drive everyday, to make up for the years in which I never drove the cars I worked so hard for..........don't ask why...Anyway, I decided to buy an NSX. Found a 91 Red/Black, 5 speed, 1-owner, all records, with only 21,000 original miles. Got a good deal on the car @ $29K and sent via wire the cash.......I live in Los Angeles, and the car was in Baltimore, so I sent my brother from Pittsburgh to get the car (He is a NSX owner and member). Turns out the car is a snap ring car even though the owner assured me it was not...So, I got my money back and still looking. This time, for a low mileage (must be in the 20k range) 94-96 NSX for or around the $40k price range. So, if anyone has any leads, please let me know...

Also, the woman selling the 91 NSX is the original owner, would Acura still replace the Snap Ring Transmission for her? Thanks

Danny

Last edited:
Have you thought about negotiaing the fix of the snap ring into the price ?
The snap ring is not really an issue if you do the proper repair and it is IMO hard to find a low mile early nsx in this stage of the game.

I recommend that you go back and buy the $29K "snap-ring" one. The cost is cheap to repair and is a well documented process. (I'm not evern sure I'd end up bothering $1500 less...if the car passed all the other tests.)

Also, you have bigger things to worry about on the NSX: 60K/90K maintainence or the air conditioning (which can cost 2x-3x of fixing the snap ring.)

I so much like the manual steering and rigid hard top OVER any T and power steering.

Go back and get the car.

Drew

I agree with Acura NsX Pilot that it may be hard finding a low miles early Nsx, but it can be done. Try the usual Autotrader, ebay and of course Nsxprime Marketplace.

I would Have bought that car snap ring or not Mickey apparently doesn't know how to check the tranny. I was in line after you and offered 29k as well but now have bought a 91 with 45k on it and is in snap ring range as well. i will fix the tranny issue later . there are many low milage cars going for 35 to 40k and flying up and down the west coast twice for a deal that wasnt there got old. i will change up to short throw. 5 speed eventually.

NSXVetteViperSupra said:
the woman selling the 91 NSX is the original owner, would Acura still replace the Snap Ring Transmission for her?
If it fails, possibly. On a preventive basis, highly unlikely.

I agree with the others who recommend buying the car anyway. You can spend $2K for the preventive fix, or you can drive it as is and get it fixed if it fails. Not a showstopper IMHO.

I would get the car also.
One question that might seem sorta dumb. If I have read your posts correctly you state having two cars with a total of 36 miles on them but NEVER drive, what difference does it make how many the NSX has got?
You have got some much $$ tied up in those cars that you don't drive but won't come off the hip for the $$ to have a nice daily driver. Sorry but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
JMO

92NSX said:
I would get the car also.
One question that might seem sorta dumb. If I have read your posts correctly you state having two cars with a total of 36 miles on them but NEVER drive, what difference does it make how many the NSX has got?
You have got some much $$ tied up in those cars that you don't drive but won't come off the hip for the $$ to have a nice daily driver. Sorry but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
JMO

Cash Flow my friend. I am almost out of cash.......

So guys, I found a 96 NSX-T w/ 27k miles for $38K! Do you think I should buy this instead and save myself the headaches of doing the snapring? My brother has a snapring car as well, and Mark Basch did the repair. The new Tranny, Short Gears, Clutch, etc. was upwards of $8K. I may be better buying the 96 w/ a whole lot more resale and added Equity.....

Last edited:
NSXVetteViperSupra said:
I found a 96 NSX-T w/ 27k miles for $38K! Do you think I should buy this instead and save myself the headaches of doing the snapring?
That depends on whether you are willing to spend more for an NSX-T, with its ability to remove the roof panel for open-air motoring.

NSXVetteViperSupra said:
My brother has a snapring car as well, and Mark Bosch did the repair. The new Tranny, Short Gears, Clutch, etc. was upwards of $8K.
That's not necessarily how much it will cost. To fix the snap ring problem ONLY, it costs around $2K (including labor and parts) and does not require a new transmission. A clutch costs about $1K for the parts, and the labor is mostly already done as part of the snap ring fix (and you only need to do this if the clutch is worn). Short gears, well, if you want them, this would be the time to put them in, when the transmission is already open (but there's nothing that says that you have to get short gears).

nsxtasy said:
That's not necessarily how much it will cost. To fix the snap ring problem ONLY, it costs around $2K (including labor and parts) and does not require a new transmission. A clutch costs about $1K for the parts, and the labor is mostly already done as part of the snap ring fix (and you only need to do this if the clutch is worn). Short gears, well, if you want them, this would be the time to put them in, when the transmission is already open (but there's nothing that says that you have to get short gears).

With that said I am going to call her back and see if it's still available. Thanks all for the help and feedback!

I agree with the others. Don't let the snap ring isue kill the deal!

I paid $39.5k for a 29000 mile clean '95 two years ago. Of course, I drive it every day, and I just passed 59k, so maybe finding a "low mile" car might be more difficult. Then again, I wasn't looking for an NSX; I was looking for a '00 Carrera 4 and the NSX was in the showroom. Isn't it always strange that you find just the right thing when you're not looking for it?

NSXVetteViperSupra said:

Geez, you need so sell one of those depreciating assets. What good is a corvette (which there's already too many out there) with 6 miles on it if you get no thrill of driving it (it's intended purpose)? You're gonna take a major hit when you sell that thing. I could maybe justify the Viper, but still, those things aren't Ferrari's.

That nsx in the snap ring range for that price I feel is a deal at the miles listed, what are you waiting for? Buy it!

? Cash flow problem ?

You have a Vette, Viper, and a Supra. I wish I had your cash flow problems. ;)

NSXVetteViperSupra said:

So guys, I found a 96 NSX-T w/ 27k miles for $38K! Do you think I should buy this instead and save myself the headaches of doing the snapring? My brother has a snapring car as well, and Mark Basch did the repair. The new Tranny, Short Gears, Clutch, etc. was upwards of $8K. I may be better buying the 96 w/ a whole lot more resale and added Equity.....

What's the story on the 1996 NSX-T (i.e. color, mods, manual?, location, etc.). Sounds like a pretty good price, where'd you see it at? Any info would be appreciated.

The owner of the 91 w/ only 21k miles dropped the price to $27K to compensate for the snap ring....Wow, what a deal and I still passed it up!! Purchased a 94 with the same miles for upwards of $10K more........Someone better jump on the 91 red car..

NSXVetteViperSupra said:
Wow, what a deal and I still passed it up!! Purchased a 94 with the same miles for upwards of $10K more.

Like the previous posts said. I wish I had your cash flow problems.
I guess when you put a couple of hundred miles on it and put it up on blocks then it will sit too. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on the buy.
You got a great year and the best color too!

NSXVetteViperSupra said:
The owner of the 91 w/ only 21k miles dropped the price to $27K to compensate for the snap ring....Wow, what a deal and I still passed it up!! Purchased a 94 with the same miles for upwards of $10K more........Someone better jump on the 91 red car..

Are you serious??!! I have been talking with the owner of that NSX for about a month now... I was second in line after you, she said you wired the money for the car, picked it up, then brought it back because you found out it was in snap ring range... Then she came back to me offering me the car again for the same $29k with the snap ring issue... I counter offered $27.5 and explained the whole snap ring thing to her... On May 1st she wrote back to me saying $27.5 would NOT buy the car and was holding firm on that price... So your saying the car finally sold for $27k? I offerered to pick the car up the same day also, as I only live about three hours away... Wonder what the hell the owners problem was with me... Man, that pisses me off...

B Feelgood said:
Are you serious??!! I have been talking with the owner of that NSX for about a month now... I was second in line after you, she said you wired the money for the car, picked it up, then brought it back because you found out it was in snap ring range... Then she came back to me offering me the car again for the same $29k with the snap ring issue... I counter offered $27.5 and explained the whole snap ring thing to her... On May 1st she wrote back to me saying $27.5 would NOT buy the car and was holding firm on that price... So your saying the car finally sold for $27k? I offerered to pick the car up the same day also, as I only live about three hours away... Wonder what the hell the owners problem was with me... Man, that pisses me off...

Don't feel bad. I went through similar experiences until I bought mine recently. Be patient and you'll find your NSX in due time. Good luck!

Back