• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How and when did you 1st knew of the NSX?

I remember in early 1989 while watching F1, they were talking about Honda's new super car, and later that month, a japanese car magazine had a picture of Senna driving the prototype. It was sweet!

My recollection is that I saw a terrific ad on television in 1989 or early 1990 showing a red/black nsx going through a small town in Italy. Two elderly Italian men took notice with one remarking that it must be a Ferrari but he was wuickly corrected by the other who insisted that it was an ACURA. (Does anyone have a copy of that video?)
Well shortly thereafter when I saw the real deal at a car show in 1990 I couldn't resist.

My recollection is that I saw a terrific ad on television in 1989 or early 1990 showing a red/black nsx going through a small town in Italy. Two elderly Italian men took notice with one remarking that it must be a Ferrari but he was wuickly corrected by the other who insisted that it was an ACURA. (Does anyone have a copy of that video?)
Well shortly thereafter when I saw the real deal at a car show in 1990 I couldn't resist.

Is this what you're thinking of Marc?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BSG_2dO-gxQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phoenix

Yes. I think that was the one. Thanks for digging it out. I guess my recall of the ad 20 plus years after the fact is a not too accurate.
Anyway that short video initiated my interest in the NSX and became the successor to a 911 Porsche Targa that I had purchased and picked up directly from the Porsche facility in Stuttgart.

Is this what you're thinking of Marc?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BSG_2dO-gxQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^Cool! Thank you for posting it, Kelvin. I'd never seen it before.

Yes. I think that was the one. Thanks for digging it out. I guess my recall of the ad 20 plus years after the fact is a not too accurate.

Marc, perhaps your mind got it mixed up with this commercial. :)
<font face="Verdana" size="1" color="#999999"><br/><a href="http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/184251" style="font: Verdana">nsx commercial</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=184251,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=184251,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br/></font>

^Cool! Thank you for posting it, Kelvin. I'd never seen it before.

No problem Patty! I assumed everyone had seen it but I forget how old I am. :D

I hope all the youngsters realize just how amazing this car was when it came out in 90...I mean the competition was the 328/348,made with spit and kleenex, the top porsches had 300 hp and were tubs, it was ridiculous, how good a car could be with just a 3 liter v6.....Although today the hp does not impress the cars styling still drops jaws, and the harder you drive it the tighter and more connected it feels.I'm still happy/excited to own my car for 16 years this wk:smile:

First read about it in a 1989 Car and Driver in an article talking about the upcoming MR platform concept from Acura codenamed NS-X. I actually still have that issue.

In 1985-86, the big car magazines started publishing rumors that Honda was working on a supercar. The rumors speculated that the car would have a twin-turbo and would sell for the then-outlandish price (for a Japanese import) of $25,000. I placed a refundable deposit at a dealer in 1986, then got a refund in 1988 when it looked like it would be a while longer before the car would be available.

1993- I was 18 years old, cruising with my girl in my 1991 PRELUDE:cool: and saw an NSX parked downtown. Didn't know what it was. It was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen. Black/Black. I will never forget..

The owner came out to the car and showed me everything about it. Holy $#it..!!!! look where the engine is! I couldn't believe my eyes!

He asked: "WANNA GO FOR A RIDE?":eek:... I threw my prelude keys to my girlfriend and said: "meet us at the gas station," The owner took me for a short drive up the highway and back. So sleek, so fast, I was AMAZED!!!

We met my girlfriend at the gas station. I was talking to the owner who says "I don't know what your opportunities are, but do you want to take her out" AND HANDS ME THE KEY TO HIS NSX!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Then says: "Don't spin my tires, and I'm not paying your speeding ticket."

Me and my girlfriend took his NSX for a brief but unforgettable drive. I was instantly HOOKED.

To the gentleman with the black NSX parked at Evangelo's Bar in downtown Santa Fe, NM in '93. Who let me take your NSX for a drive.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

THANK YOU!!!

-DREW-

^That's a great story, Drew! Trusting guy to hand you the keys. You must have impressed him with your integrity for him to do that.

Last edited:
Thanks!... I know! Very trusting guy. Even with my NSX being 18 years old I don't think I would hand my keys to an 18yr old stranger.

-DREW-

First time saw it inside Playstaion video game - Gran Tursimo . It draw my attention that why NSX handle better than all other Skyline, Supra, Viper and Corvette. Then when i saw it in real person, i was thinking why a red Fcar with Honda/Acura emblem. I'm falling in love with NSX when i read more development stories and all those comments from magazine. I'm still working hard to own one in my future, a "must" in my live. :smile:

Thanks!... I know! Very trusting guy. Even with my NSX being 18 years old I don't think I would hand my keys to an 18yr old stranger.

-DREW-

LOL! The funny thing is that is EXACTLY what I did this past weekend. I was at a car show where a young guy was admiring my car, and we were talking. He has a modified S2000, and was raving about how great the NSX is. So I tossed the keys to him and said, 'Just make sure you bring it back in one piece, and we won't have a problem'. Needless to say he and his friend were raving about the car when they came back, and his friend was talking about how the kid would not stop talking about getting one and what he would do with his when he bought one. It was great. Funny thing is that from what I could tell, he did not go far or drive fast. The car only had a couple extra miles, the gas was still full, and there was none of that metallic 'tick,tick,tick' sound you hear from exhausts when a car has been REALLY driven hard. So evidently the NSX made an impression quickly. :biggrin: ;)

There was another kid there that remembered me and thanked me again for just letting him sit in the car 4 or 5 YEAR AGO!! He said it changed his life, and he still talks about it. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
The first time I heard of or saw an NSX was in 1992 when my dad showed me his awesome red/black. He bought it when he was 67 years-old! ...

Dad_NSX5_13_93.jpg

^In 1993, my dad in his NSX at my Acton, CA house.

I remember your story about your Dad when you bought your NSX-T. Sounds like someone I would have liked to meet. Good thing he got his little girl started in go-karts at an early age.

I plan to get my Baby Girl into go-karts as soon as she is able. Needless to say, she is already exposed to the NSX, and loves 'Daddy's white car'. :)

Madeline checking tires and wheels for Daddy:

MadelineworkingonmyNSX.jpg

Madeline helping me 'fix' the NSX (in her own special way):

NSXandMaddyventfishing.jpg

Madeline does take time to wash the NSX after Daddy's drive though:

DSC_0837.JPG

Madeline in an Indy Car:

InIndycarFerrarisandFriends10-10-10.jpg

Madeline by Carrera GT at our house:

DSC_0270.jpg

Madeline appreciate the classics too...like this Alfa Romeo:

DSC_2437.jpg

You think she will be a car girl when she reads this thread in about 10 years and recalls when she first was introdced to the NSX? ;)

Last edited:
I remember your story about your Dad when you bought your NSX-T. Sounds like someone I would have liked to meet. Good thing he got his little girl started in go-karts at an early age.

I plan to get my Baby Girl into go-karts as soon as she is able. Needless to say, she is already exposed to the NSX, and loves 'Daddy's white car'. :)
You think she will be a car girl when she reads this thread in about 10 years and recalls when she first was introdced to the NSX? ;)

I'm sure she'll be a car girl! I always would rather hang out in the garage with my dad or a boyfriend when I was growing up, and still would rather be there than in the kitchen. :smile:

I'm sure she'll be a car girl! I always would rather hang out in the garage with my dad or a boyfriend when I was growing up, and still would rather be there than in the kitchen. :smile:

She is the same way! It is awesome for me, because she will get up in the morning (especially on Daddy - Daughter Saturdays) and say, 'Daddy...Daddy...can we go do stuff in the garage', and I say to her 'Of course, sweetie'. She then just smiles and says, 'Okay, Daddy. Let's go do stuff in the garage'. My wife said last week, 'You just love that when she says it, don't you', evidently because she sees the huge smile on my face every time it happens. How can I not love it? Daddy's girl wants to help Daddy in the garage. Does not get much better than that. We will be up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday morning sitting in the garage together. Perfect day. :wink:

Last edited:
Back