• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you talk your wife out of a minivan?

Ok, so the Ford employee in me suggests looking at the Ford Flex when it comes out late this summer/fall. I just got to drive a pre production one yesterday and I was really impressed. We got a lot of looks and questions about it, it really looks great on the road. Its very quiet and smooth and has plenty of power too (just about 270). If I had kids and needed something like a minivan I would definetly drive one of them. Minivan utility but with a lot of style. No sliding doors though.

07ny_ford_flex.jpg

09FordFlex_02.jpg

flex8.jpg

I dont knock mini vans because I inherited one ofter high school. (after the family station wagon blew up) It took getting used to, but in the end that thing was a LOT of fun. Even my friends, once they got over the van thing preferred going out in the van because it was more comfortable, had room, etc. Many many road trips were taken in that van. I dont regret anything about it, except until the engine went poof. If I ever needed another van I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

van.jpg

Situation: Our 2002 S6 Avant is ready to be traded in.
Problem: I can't talk my wife out of a minivan. She really wants one. Looking at a Honda Odyssey fully loaded. The damn thing comes out to over $40k!

I'm pushing really hard to try and get her to consider the BMW 535xi wagon. It costs a bit more, but I'm ok with the price difference, I really like the car....

Does anyone have any suggestions? What angle can I use? She does like the speed and agility of the S6 and I keep telling her that she'll lose that...but with our 7 mo old daughter (our 1st) she wants something easier to "live" with daily. Has anyone else been able to stop the madness that is America's lust for the minivan????

Sorry, I can't help you.

I'm having the exact opposite conversation with my wife. We're thinking about starting a family this year and I'm trying like hell to convince her to lose the LX470 in favor of a much more practical, cheaper, more efficient, and fun to drive Odyssey. We have three sets of friends with them and they love them.

The parents of my God daughter has one that I've driven quite a bit and I actually thought it was somewhat fun to drive... in an admittedly odd way.

Got an 07 Odessy EX-L and it's a great vehicle. No kids, but the dogs love the back. Best handling minivan I've driven.

Word of advice. If you get the Touring model plan on replacing the run flat tires and wheels. Very few places can service these (I'm told by my Honda shop). Fine as long as you're in your home territory with a dealer or qualified service shop nearby. But away from home, outside regular business hours you can be in a world of hurt.

I think it is really a bad idea to try to convince your wife to get something other that what she wants. Yes you can get her to try other vehicles but let her choose the friggen vehicle she will drive everyday.

Some women seem to be immune to the stigma of minivans and happily take advantage of the incredible people carrying ability they have. Power sliding doors are simply amazing with kids, car seats, etc. My wife on the other hand won't drive a minivan and currently drives a Pilot. Before that she drove a F250 crewcab.

A couple of other comments:

The Highlander is a nice vehicle, but the 3rd seat, even in the 08 model is still small.

The Ody's safety ratings are as good or better than any BMW.

I just got to drive a pre production one yesterday and I was really impressed. We got a lot of looks and questions about it, it really looks great on the road.

Working on the next Mustang...

Driving around in pre-production cars...

I hate you.

(with envy of course :biggrin: )

Philip

I think it is really a bad idea to try to convince your wife to get something other that what she wants.

+1

You don't even go there. I can't even believe you started this thread. If she wants a Mini-Van then let her have it. Is it worth the frustration of hearing her for years to come "We should have gotten the mini-van" or "You always get what you want - all I wanted was a stupid Mini-Van for our baby". Women have massive memory recall, they remember things FOREVVEERRRR!!!. When you least expect it, BLAM she'll bring it up.

Women have massive memory recall, they remember things FOREVVEERRRR!!!. When you least expect it, BLAM she'll bring it up.

ROFL!!!! So True. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Let me just say one thing.

SLIDING DOORS.

My wife wanted a van and I too put up a fuss. I caved less then 48 hours after she pointed out that the kids would be able to open the car doors soon and that they'd smack my NSX with them.

You didn't offer to put Lambo doors on whatever you wanted her to drive? Shame on you!

I've been looking into the Ody.. If Price is your concern.

40K is about the price with Touring and Nav..
I see it as 10K worth of leather. Nav and rear entertainment.

If you dont need Leather you can get a EX and get a double din Nav and rear entertainment installed with headrest monitors for about $1500-$2000. (depending on the headunit of course) EX is about 30K.

Drivetrain wise all the ody are the same.

Not sure about talking her out of the minivan, but can I buy the S6?:biggrin:

I would set up a test drive for the BMW and let her see the difference.
I don't care for Mini Vans either. Check out the X6, it's a beaut.

Situation: Our 2002 S6 Avant is ready to be traded in.
Problem: I can't talk my wife out of a minivan. She really wants one. Looking at a Honda Odyssey fully loaded. The damn thing comes out to over $40k!

I'm pushing really hard to try and get her to consider the BMW 535xi wagon. It costs a bit more, but I'm ok with the price difference, I really like the car....

Does anyone have any suggestions? What angle can I use? She does like the speed and agility of the S6 and I keep telling her that she'll lose that...but with our 7 mo old daughter (our 1st) she wants something easier to "live" with daily. Has anyone else been able to stop the madness that is America's lust for the minivan????

I fear I may have to buy some Work rims for the Odyssey just to make it look better. :frown:

Eric, the odyseey is probably a much better choice than a BMW wagon, in terms of being practical and also less depreciation over the corse of ownership. You probably heard about my crazy driving habit, and even myself is impressed with that machine. Also check out the EXL model, you don't really need the touring model if parking sensors and Navi is not a big deal for you.

Come drive one if you wanted, you know my number.

Ferrand.

If you dont need Leather you can get a EX and get a double din Nav and rear entertainment installed with headrest monitors for about $1500-$2000. (depending on the headunit of course) EX is about 30K.

Not exactly, Ex model doesn't have the VCM system that shut off 2 or 3 of the cylinders...

I still have some 07 Ex model that is way less than $30k too...

Not exactly, Ex model doesn't have the VCM system that shut off 2 or 3 of the cylinders...

I still have some 07 Ex model that is way less than $30k too...

Not sure about talking her out of the minivan, but can I buy the S6?:biggrin:

lol...yeah, sure...I think I'll try and sell it first. The thought of letting them take my beloved S6 in on trade makes me cringe. 2002 Amulet Red, winter package (heated front/rear seats, ski bag, etc), H&R springs (back to stock, but they're going with the car) and sways, rear parking sensors and Nav..basically ever option except the solor sun roof thing. 58k miles. I looked all over the place for that car, they only brought in about 2000 of them in the two years of production. So sad.

Thanks for all the replies guys...I was convinced pretty early on that this is probably a pointless battle. I guess I just needed to hear the voice of reason. As for the "cheaper EX" model, well, you don't know my wife. The Odyssey we get will be loaded and probably about $42k...oh well. I'll have to look into the Toyota, I didn't realize they came with AWD. That at least sounds a little better to me.

All SUV's are out...she has her mind made up. I thought perhaps I could tempt her with the BMW badge, but she's not budging. Many good points in this thread and I'm not as scared to dive into the mini van group. In fact, I'll embrace it and buy some Work rims for it. lol

Goodbye old friend...you'll be missed...

dropped1.jpg

:frown:

I hate to say this but NOTHING compares to the flexibility/utility of a Minivan. No SUV, SW, or Truck can come close to the ease of entry, loading, space as a Oddy or a Seinna. You have a newborn. It will make yours and her life much easier. I really don't see you getting out of this one.

GL though - how about the MDX. Atleast it a can tow a bit.:smile:

Last edited:
Lower it, put on some new wheels and tint the windows. Vans used to be cool. Somewhere along the Chrysler minivan evolution they lost the cool, but the Odyssey helps minivans get the cool back.

If the wife wants to put the fake woodgrain on the sides, you may have to draw the line.:smile:

Miner

Lol... just talk up the safety features of the BMW. Show her the rediculous amount of safety testing that goes into BMW stuff and tell her it's what you want for her and the baby. Swish... nothing but net :cool:

Babies are pretty safe in a 2008 Honda Odyssey, it's a top safety pick

Don't be so down on the Odyssey. I have a friend who has a fully loaded one, and it's a great machine. All said, it's much more practical than 90% of the SUVs out there.

Besides, you've already got the NSX, so let her indulge her inner soccer mom.
+1

Got an 07 Odessy EX-L and it's a great vehicle. No kids, but the dogs love the back. Best handling minivan I've driven.

Word of advice. If you get the Touring model plan on replacing the run flat tires and wheels. Very few places can service these (I'm told by my Honda shop). Fine as long as you're in your home territory with a dealer or qualified service shop nearby. But away from home, outside regular business hours you can be in a world of hurt.
For 2008, the Touring model has the option of being a non-PAX mini van.

Also new for 2008 Touring, it can now be had with a plus one seat making it an 8 passenger van as oppose to the 7 passenger only 05-07 model.

The wife and I were in the same boat, we stayed mini-van less even with 2 kids but after the 3rd kid, could not avoid it. Now that we know better, we should have gotten it after the first one.
Odyclub is a good source of info for Honda Odysseys.

Back