• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how low will the NSX depreciate till? when will it stop?

The value is dependent on what someone is willing to sell it for IMO. The more time goes on, the more enthusiasts will have the means to acquire our cars (and keep them) and eventually very few will be up for grabs. We each see a tremendous value in our cars whether it's mods, or rare color combo, or no accident history. "Ya try to find one that has this, or that etc". If you tried to buy mine I would just throw a stupid price on it and probably still wouldn't sell it haha.

My take on NSX values is we have two distinct markets now.

The first is the highly modified NSX's and they seem to appeal to a younger buyer.
Unless the original oem parts are available with the car, I think the collector value of these cars is gone.
The prices they sell for doesn't seem to reflect the cost of the modifications.
Perhaps the market for these cars is smaller and so less demand equals a price that is close to unmodified examples.

The second market is for stock or near stock units.
These seem to be appreciating as the supply is diminishing as cars are modded and move to the first market or cars are written off for accidents and the like.
I think stock or near stock units appeal to a larger range of buyers, those who want an oem unit that has been well looked after or those who want a stock starting point for their own modifications.
Right or wrong it seems there is more comfort to a buyer of a stock unit, that he/she feels has not be abused or thrashed.

A stock/near stock NSX in my mind is undervalued.
There is no mid-engined sports car that offers as much engineering, reliability and handling as our NSX's.

If an NSX had a Ferrari badge I believe it would sell for considerably more than today.
The Honda marque just doesn't have the value attached to it that Ferrari/Lamborghini have regardless of the benefits the NSX has over the others.

The image of the highly modified NSX's as a young fast and furious type driver's car almost seems to detract from the overall NSX value.

Nonetheless down the road as the supply of stock/near stock NSX's continues to dwindle I would see them continuing to appreciate nicely.

Jd cross I agree with your statements about a modified Nsx having no collector value and that's correct all oem is best for collectors. Never touched never modified just collected are the best kept examples and most valuable. This also sounds like a boring existence to some. Truth is the Nsx platform is an excellent starting point to unleash a beast if someone chooses this route. To own a quite rare, Japanese hand built, amazing looking, handling, reliable, fast car is a good scenario and you don't have to be young to appreciate that. We all know "amazing looking" is a very personal taste when modding and we also know "fast" can't be achieved in completely stock form in these cars. Just throwing out some opinions...

The first is the highly modified NSX's and they seem to appeal to a younger buyer.
Unless the original oem parts are available with the car, I think the collector value of these cars is gone.
Perhaps the market for these cars is smaller and so less demand equals a price that is close to unmodified examples.

These seem to be appreciating as the supply is diminishing as cars are modded and move to the first market or cars are written off for accidents and the like.
I think stock or near stock units appeal to a larger range of buyers, those who want an oem unit that has been well looked after or those who want a stock starting point for their own modifications.
Right or wrong it seems there is more comfort to a buyer of a stock unit, that he/she feels has not be abused or thrashed.

There is no mid-engined sports car that offers as much engineering, reliability and handling as our NSX's.

If an NSX had a Ferrari badge I believe it would sell for considerably more than today.
The Honda marque just doesn't have the value attached to it that Ferrari/Lamborghini have regardless of the benefits the NSX has over the others.

The image of the highly modified NSX's as a young fast and furious type driver's car almost seems to detract from the overall NSX value.

Nonetheless down the road as the supply of stock/near stock NSX's continues to dwindle I would see them continuing to appreciate nicely.

JDC. Well stated.

i'm in the second market. i brought mines just so i can have a clean car to start mods. i'm keeping all the OEM parts when maybe one day i want to go back to stock

It's indeed highly advisable you retain OE parts.
Not only will this be a good plus point for future buyers, it also gives you the option to revert to stock and sell all the items separately.
Luckily NSX's can generally be made stock very easily.

There are off-course some modifications are quite permanent but those aren't common.
A good example of that is for sale in Japan right now, a heavily modified NA1 NSX-R. (trackday car)

Last edited:
Reasons why it would be a pity to see NSX drop to the "affordable range":

1. kids that dunno how to detail their cars inside and out
2. kids that inhale Vape in the NSX
3. kids that put improper mods on the NSX
4. kids that take a cut equipment to the NSX for body kits
5. kids that shortcut on maintenance and respective records
6. kids that look like Justin Beaver with their wife beaters and baseball caps that ghetto up a NSX

^ +1. I have all my OEM parts and have turned down people multiple times for my OEM parts for this exact reason.

I have a clutch, rear valence, hood, side skirts, mirrors, shift boot & knob, antenna plus all the spare parts I keep ordering to have on hand just in case.
My wife keeps asking if I am buying a 2nd NSX piece by piece!

Never going to sell the car so it does not matter. However what do you make of the somewhat mythical "NSX-R GT" which were pretty much modified NSX-Rs or NSXs with the R parts, strokers, turbos, etc...?

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Reasons why it would be a pity to see NSX drop to the "affordable range":

1. kids that dunno how to detail their cars inside and out
2. kids that inhale Vape in the NSX
3. kids that put improper mods on the NSX
4. kids that take a cut equipment to the NSX for body kits
5. kids that shortcut on maintenance and respective records
6. kids that look like Justin Beaver with their wife beaters and baseball caps that ghetto up a NSX

I am sad to report that the NSX has already dropped to an affordable range and that all of your listed fears have already come true :(

Regarding depreciation/pricing - I think what will start to happen is less a change in pricing so much as a deviation in pricing based on condition. I foresee something more on lines with the Ferrari market where condition alters the price by vast measures. For example:

Concourse quality 308 = $60-70k
standard eBay 308 = $30ish

Concourse quality testarossa = $130k
standard eBay testarossa = $50ish

That is a HUGE margin and one that we really aren't seeing in NSX pricing at the moment. It may be the future though as more and more cars become worn out and fewer "gems" remain.

Last edited:
Having tried to sell my NSX on 2 different occasions, I can tell you any car under 30k attracts losers/ricers/dreamers. Both times I decided to just keep the car because I couldnt stand the idiot emails and time wasters. Ive had several exotics and never had an issue during resale like I have with my NSX. As far as value, I would think a purest would want an early car or fixed roof because of the rigidity and being more "hardcore" driving experience. I would think coupes with no accident history and not modified would command at least 30k and above , then more depending on miles and maintenance history. Seems like most 3.2 cars sell for at least 35-40k range, and 50-60k plus for 02 and newer

My '93 has been highly, but tastefully modified. It is in exceptional condition, a multiple concours winner, no accidents, has less than 60K miles. I have been offered in excess of $40K for it 3 times. I don't intend to sell it, but I'm sure I could for more than the equivalent stock model (and yes, I have all the original parts that have been upgraded or changed). Modified cars that are reversible, in my experience, do have a smaller market, and while the cost of upgrades is fractionalized, the total value of the car is not greatly diminished.

Mine was modded and sold in 2 days on eBay to an older gentlemen who had lots of cash. It's sharing a garage with his Ford GT. Never kept any of the stock parts......

Last edited:
I'm with wick on this. I have a 93 highly and tastefully modified. I wouldn't even consider less than 45 k for mine. And I have a standing verbal agreement for 50 from the previous owner if I ever want to sell it. You know what I say: try to find one this mint with no issues no accident history and mods anyone would appreciate young or old. Only the best shit. I get more old guys stopping talking to me than young guys. Just because it's modified doesn't mean it looks stupid or riced out like some assume.

Last edited:
On cars.com there is a dealer with a 1999 with 50k miles for $54k. and a private party 2000 with 28k for $54k. The BIG question is what do they eventually sell for?

I paid about that for my 2000 with 4k miles back in 2005. So I think the prices are doing well and bode well for the future as the JDM fanboys destroy the early ones.

I think the market for clean early cars bottomed in 2008-2010. I recently had my 1991 appraised in its lightly modded condition and its value has increased by about 55% since I purchased the car. I think clean examples with OEM parts will continue to go up as they become more rare due to modding and losses. When the new NSX is released, I think that will give everyone a bump in value too.

I am starting to hoard OEM parts. Next on my list is a set of the fat fives. It all goes in the attic cleaned and neatly boxed for the day hopefully a long time from now I must let her go.

I think the market for clean early cars bottomed in 2008-2010. I recently had my 1991 appraised in its lightly modded condition and its value has increased by about 55% since I purchased the car. I think clean examples with OEM parts will continue to go up as they become more rare due to modding and losses. When the new NSX is released, I think that will give everyone a bump in value too.

I am starting to hoard OEM parts. Next on my list is a set of the fat fives. It all goes in the attic cleaned and neatly boxed for the day hopefully a long time from now I must let her go.

Do a searchtempest.com search for acura NSX. In one of the craigslist ads there was a nice condition set of fats for 400 bucks OBO. Make take awhile to find it, can't remember the city it was listed in

Back