• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How the 2016 Acura NSX works as posted on Jalopnik...

That is a shit ton of cooling units. Is this going to be constantly on the verge of overheating or exploiding? :confused:

No. The veyron has 10 units too. It has to be released to be able to perform in Death Valley or Dubai all day everyday. It therefore needs that level of cooling capacity.

1221665668762268518.jpg

This is so cool - the symmetry!

Judging by the picture there won't be aftermarket headers for this NSX.
That is one complicated looking exhaust system.

Judging by the picture there won't be aftermarket headers for this NSX.
That is one complicated looking exhaust system.

Looks like two cats (pre-cat and main cat) immediately aft of the turbos. Most likely no point in upgrading the exhaust except for the very end of it.

Looks like two cats (pre-cat and main cat) immediately aft of the turbos. Most likely no point in upgrading the exhaust except for the very end of it.

First thing I'll be doing is having the stock manifolds modelled so that they can be recreated for CFD analysis, then get them done properly in a heavy cast arrangement.

Get my Lotus F1 friends to design an external wastegate downpipe version, slap on some EFR6258s and ditch both cats. The same thing (almost) on my GT-Rs took power potential up from 550 to 1000 from the engine alone and gave me faster than stock spool. If my tuner can be bothered to do this, I'll definitely be interested.

In the meantime, ditching the cats alone will make a huge difference, then possibly a nice Akrapovic exhaust system downstream.

Not sure where people are getting that the heads are a complex design from, I can't see them in the picture at all.

I saw this earlier today on Jalopnik. Frankly, this was the first article that got me excited about the new NSX. Sounds spectacular.

I too was blown away. It appears that Honda is re-establishing themselves as a Technological Tour de force with this car.

So fascinating. I should have been an engineer.

exhaust note will be interesting to hear...looks like there is no mixing of pulses from both banks...so each exhaust will have the amazing song of a turbo 3.......:eek:

First thing I'll be doing is having the stock manifolds modelled so that they can be recreated for CFD analysis, then get them done properly in a heavy cast arrangement.

Get my Lotus F1 friends to design an external wastegate downpipe version, slap on some EFR6258s and ditch both cats. The same thing (almost) on my GT-Rs took power potential up from 550 to 1000 from the engine alone and gave me faster than stock spool. If my tuner can be bothered to do this, I'll definitely be interested.

In the meantime, ditching the cats alone will make a huge difference, then possibly a nice Akrapovic exhaust system downstream.

Not sure where people are getting that the heads are a complex design from, I can't see them in the picture at all.

It appears the exhaust manifolds are part of the heads...?

1221665668688547942.jpg

Perhaps a bit more homework is needed before making these assumptions
Doesn't look like there'll be much you can "slap" on there.
Warranty will be voided for sure.
Do Euro emission regs allow you to remove the cats?

Here's a bit more info on the how the ablation casting process works from Autoline TV .. starting at 3:07
<iframe width="469" height="294" src="http://www.autoline.tv/embed/daily/daily042315" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warranty will certainly be voided. Euro emissions vary between country but the annual mot test after three years from new has an emissions test which would be failed without cats.

i was being a little sarcastic when I set slap it on, on the Gtr, development was over a year but the gains were huge. It may not even be necessary here.

btw stock GTR manifolds are one piece with the exhaust wheel scroll of the turbos.

exhaust note will be interesting to hear...looks like there is no mixing of pulses from both banks...so each exhaust will have the amazing song of a turbo 3.......:eek:

Isn't that how it is done with the previous NSX? Exhaust is kept separate until the catback portion. So exhaust can still be tuned to sound good. BTW, the exhaust note sounded pretty good at the Detroit unveiling.

Have to say, twin turbo individually banked v6s dont tend to sound great but i agree with the above. It has soubded pretty good in clips and even under no loud sounded good at the unveiling.

can now see that headers are built into the head. Improving on those would mean new head castings. Not out of the question but certainly not sonething I'd bother with. Doesnt stop me changing turbo pipework downstream, swapping to better turbos and trying for an external waste-gate but I'm hoping i just wont feel the need.

Is it me or does the picture Nspec posted above look like the car has two gas tanks?

Doesn't stop me changing turbo pipework downstream, swapping to better turbos and trying for an external waste-gate but I'm hoping i just wont feel the need.

I'm curious why you think the OEM turbos are inadequate and will need better.
Do you know what turbos are coming with the car?

That's a very good question to which the answer is no, I do not know which turbos will be coming with the car. What I do expect is that they won't be the turbos that I want to fit. Typically OEMs use garrett/borg warner, or most likely for a japanese oem, IHI or MHI turbos. They are nearly 99% of the time a sleeve bearing turbo, typically for reasons of cost and reliability, both of which are essential to the bean counters due to the enormous cost and embarrassment of product recalls.

The turbos I have grown to love are the Borg Warner EFR turbos. These are exclusively an aftermarket turbo designed for petrol car applications. They are the most revolutionary turbo design rethink in years and as a result come with significant advantages over the OEM fit, primarily in terms of response and boost threshold, but also in terms of efficiency. In short there is no downside to these if you can fit them, other than cost.

It is of course possible that the NSX comes with some great turbos from the factory, it's just incredibly unlikely they'll be even close in terms of performance to these. To give you an idea, the 488 GTB uses a cheap and nasty sleeve bearing IHI turbos for the reasons stated above. The P1 uses equally nasty MHI sleeve bearing turbos.

Is it me or does the picture Nspec posted above look like the car has two gas tanks?

I see the same. One on either side behind the batteries.

I may be thinking about another forum but hasn't the single port exhaust discussion been thoroughly fleshed out already?

Back