• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I DARE you to recommend a good tire to me!

Ok guys, here's the deal.

I have a 1991 Acura NSX and it needs new tires. I want something Z rated so that I can go fast if I want to. I also want a tire that is somewhat durable because I will be using it as a daily driver. So basically......I want an all around durable tire that is capable of going fast. I would prefer a supple ride over a harsh ride.

On the front I need: 215/40ZR/17
On the back I need: 275/35ZR/18

What would you recommend?

John

F1...

Goodyear's
gyeaglef1gsd3vn0.gif

+1

Had the opportunity to run them on the track at Mid Ohio in the rain! :eek:

Most outstanding tire I have ever seen in the wet, and top 3 I have ever run in the dry.

Re: F1...

I just installled the Eagle F1 GS-D3's and they are great tires. Pretty quite too!

CL65 Captain,

I just came back from Mid-Ohio and it was snowing at 3:00 today. On the way home it turned to rain just north of Columbus and continued raining all the way to Cincinnati. The F1's are great in the rain.

+2

btw - Where in the world is Monrovia?

+ 3, have these and love them, had pilots then yokohama's avs ES100(too loud) so I switched out after about 4K miles to the Fl GS D3, don't think I will ever get another tire besides these.

Last edited:
F1 GS-D3 are a phenomenal tire and also have a great price. It's filling a niche that no one else is even close to right now.

Dry performance on par with the SO-3 with better wet traction, noise, comfort and treadlife for almost half the price. :eek:

I also vote for GoodYear F1 GSD3. Lasted me for about one year (longest tire I have on this car daily driven). That compared to second longest I had Michelin Pilot Sport (10 months only). Those tires are daily driven all year around. Car is not lowered.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

How many miles are you getting out of the Goodyear Eagles?

I am not a terribly aggressive driver. 1 (totally not aggressive), 10 (Peel out king). I am probably a 5. I drive carefully conservatively, but I also like to kick it up to 85mph real quick. I would probably kick it up to 110/120 mph for a bit if I went to Vegas/Arizona (I haven't done this yet!) I drive carefully, but if the freeway opens up, yeah, I'll punch it a bit. I speed up occasionally. I don't peel out, but I might be somewhat aggressive on the cloverleafs too.

I am also looking at the BF Goodrich g Force Sport and Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212 in a value tire. I am thinking that if I wear out tires quickly, get a good value tire for a bit less if I am replacing them all the time anyway.

John

I am also looking at the BF Goodrich g Force Sport and Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212 in a value tire. I am thinking that if I wear out tires quickly, get a good value tire for a bit less if I am replacing them all the time anyway.

John

"WHY buy a performance car and degrade the performance by putting a cheap crappy tire on it"--(Quote by some one whom I cant remember):confused:

Get the GoodYear GoodYear F1 GSD3 they make a huge difference.:biggrin:

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

How many miles are you getting out of the Goodyear Eagles?

I am not a terribly aggressive driver. 1 (totally not aggressive), 10 (Peel out king). I am probably a 5. I drive carefully conservatively, but I also like to kick it up to 85mph real quick. I would probably kick it up to 110/120 mph for a bit if I went to Vegas/Arizona (I haven't done this yet!) I drive carefully, but if the freeway opens up, yeah, I'll punch it a bit. I speed up occasionally. I don't peel out, but I might be somewhat aggressive on the cloverleafs too.

John

Both the G-Force and Hankook tires you describe are inferior in every way to the GS-D3. Another tire in that category is the Yoko ES100. They are cheaper but you do get what you pay for.

The type of driving you describe, however, should be within the limits of a budget performance tire like the ones mentioned above. Unless you're going to the track or driving unsafely hard on the street you're not going to exceed the limits of a budget performance tire.

The GS-D3 is a tire that can only really be maximized on the track but it isn't really a track tire. :smile: It's the absolute minimum tire I would ever run on a track if I absolutely had to as I'm someone who runs Azenis and R-comps--but I would not run ES100s for example. That would be a waste of my time and my car's capabilites. :cool:

I also take my lumps with treadwear although I have been extremely fortunate to get 3-5K average miles including a track event or two from my Azenis on average. I can virtually run them down to cord here as I never drive the NSX in poor conditions, ever.

I live in San Diego so I can run Azenis and R-comps on the street as rain/snow/ice is negligible but for most people in the US running Azenis and R-comps on the street is unfeasible. Most people can't do this and really want a track-capable tire with great wet performance, treadlife, low noise and price and the GS-D3 is all of those things but it sounds to me like a budget perofrmance tire will suit your driving style just fine although for a little more money you will get more treadlife along with better performance (FWIW), lower road noise and better wet performance w/ the GS-D3. :wink:

I dare you to try the search feature because of the few threads I have seen you post so far they are topics which have been covered time and time again.

def the eagles or toyo T1-R's

John,

You "dared" me... :biggrin: So here's something to consider...

1991 stock rear tires are 225/50-16 or 24.8583 inches in diameter.
The 275/35-18 tire is 25.5787 inches in diameter... or 2.898% larger than stock.

If you do the math, you will see that you will be loosing ~3% HP at the rear wheels... or about 7.1 HP by going to the larger size (based on 245 RWHP). And that does not include the additional losses due to the increased inertia of the larger wheel and tire during acceleration and braking.

The larger wheels look great, so I would compromise. Get the 215/40-17 on the front, but get 255/35-18 on the rear (0.7% larger than stock). They will look just as good as the 275, but you'll cut your losses by about 75%. (The 215/255 tire widths are stock for the 2002+ NSX.)

In either case, consider the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.

Steve

hankook z212,NOT a cheap tire
NOT a crappy tire
DOES handle incredibly
DOES last a long time
DO buy them,personally,I would think twice before ever buying goodyear.I know lots of prime members like the goodyear,but i look for more from tires,what i'm saying is I drive harder on the street than a tire like the goodyear can support , so when I look at a tire I always try to weigh the balance,but if you don't think that you'll outdrive the goodyears ... then try them,the great thing about tires is ... THEY WEAR OUT !!!! so if you don't like them just wait and get something else!:smile:

NOT a crappy tire
DOES handle incredibly
DOES last a long time
DO buy them,personally,I would think twice before ever buying goodyear.I know lots of prime members like the goodyear,but i look for more from tires,what i'm saying is I drive harder on the street than a tire like the goodyear can support , so when I look at a tire I always try to weigh the balance,but if you don't think that you'll outdrive the goodyears ... then try them,the great thing about tires is ... THEY WEAR OUT !!!! so if you don't like them just wait and get something else!:smile:

the gforce sport IS probably an inferior tire

I too would put a vote for the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. This is my first set of them, but have tried the budget tires in the past. Basically you don't know what you are giving up till you drive on better tires.

So for those out there that have the GS-D3's what sort of treadlife are you getting? I have about 10k on the fronts and they still look great. Only 3k on my rears, but those too still look close to new.

NOT a crappy tire
DOES handle incredibly
DOES last a long time

The Goodyear GS-D3 is a tire that's capabilities can only be exceeded on a track. If you are at the limits of even a budget performance tire on the street than you are probably driving dangerously.

I like the GS-D3 because they do offer better dry performance than most any tire with the exception of the SO-3, Bridgestone RE050 and Michelin PS2 but provide better wet traction, treadwear and noise levels and are much, much cheaper than those others.

That being said 90% of NSX owners would be totally satsified with a budget performance tire. The GS-D3 does cost more but you get a better overall tire for the money. I couldn't blame anyone who does not track the car for geting a Yoko ES100 for example. It's a great tire at a great price and although it's inferior to the GS-D3 in every way it's priced low enough to be a viable choice.

I'm not sure why you think just because it's a Goodyear it's inferior. If you're looking for more dry performance than the GS-D3 the only real step up is either the Falken Azenis RT-615 or an R-comp--and then forget about treadlife or wet traction. The RE050 and PS2 offer about the same performance but are much more expensive and I can tell you that the PS2's treadlife is much worse than the GS-D3 on an NSX.

Back