• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I got f'd...what do I do?

Ok ok ok ok... This thread kind of pisses me off..
:mad:

I am very suprised at how many people have negative things to say about car dealers in general. Alot of us are good honest people that love cars alot like most of you. Just like in any field you will have good and bad, Doctors, lawyers,police officers,mortgage brokers, real estate agents, servers, pizza delivery drivers it does not matter what you do there will be bad people that do bad things.

I'm sorry to have come off so strongly in my post about all the lies I get from car dealers, but in my experience I have never been blatantly lied to by any of the above mentioned professionals at the frequency with which I have been lied to by car dealers/service techs. In fact, a couple of friends in the new/used car business have told me that they were directed by management to be deceptive. That angers me, but doesn't surprise me.

Luxury Motors?????

Chicago Motor Car????

If its either of these STOP what you are doing and get a lawyer. Serious.

I've been buying from Dealer Auctions for over 6 years -- sorry, but the Auction isn't going to buy the car back. With most Auctions 1/2 the time their condition reports are not accurate -- especially when it comes to prior paint work. They're only as good as the inspector.

Good luck with the dealer.

Do you have in writing from the dealership guarantee the car was never been in an accident, and the paint job is OEM?

If you do, you have a case.

If you don't, even a good lawyer can't do much for you.

Unless the dealership is honest, like Steveny said, drive the car through their front show room and let the media talk about it.:cool:

Also, did you financed the car? Was it 100% financing? If it is, call the bank and tell them you just lost your job and can't afford the car any more, they might make the dealer take it back since the purchase is new.

Last edited:
Is the dealership an Infinity dealership? If so, call Infinity and let them know what's going on. While they may be limited in what they can do, they will lean on the dealership to make it right.

Next, call radio and TV stations in their area, let them know about your experience. I know of someone who called a "morning show" and they called the dealership live and started asking the hard questions.

Dealerships don't want bad press, especially in these times. I'd let them know you mean business and you're not going away until they make it right -- and you're going to be "that PITA customer".

YMMV but I know someone that used these techniques to get the end result she wanted. She also consulted with an attorney before she went on her "mission". You may want to do the same to see what is and isn't viable/legal.

Steve

I have also been buying from Manheim Auto Auction for several years and the auction is not responsible for knowing the history or previous conditions of vehicles. Only vehicles that are considered "green light" can be considered for a buyback by the auction, and it is still the responsibility of the seller (usually another dealer) to label the vehicle.

I remember trying to buy a used Subaru XT from a Nissan dealer after college, and having the sense to pay a Subaru dealer perform a thorough prepurchase inspection instead of taking the Nissan dealer's word about the car. In the end, the Subaru inspection saved me about $3500 because they found major problems with the car that the Nissan dealer failed to disclose or didn't know about, and I didn't buy the vehicle.

I've learned to never take anyone's word about expensive purchases such as cars and houses, especially if the person has a vested interest in the sale.

If they purchased the vehicle from an auction, they had to of known it was a major wreck, or the used car manager/buyer of the cars from the auction has no idea what is going on. 99% Sure they knew that it has previous damage. If it more than 1,000.00 in KY the dealer is binded by law to let you know of the damage. Call them up, be nice, and ask for your money or paperwork to be backed up.

p.s. miles on the m45 is crucial btw. how many?

At the auctions here in NY cars with a similar problem get run through a different lane than cars which have no problem. In some cases the the auction will use different color lights to signify problems with the car.

BTW, if you run the car through the show room remember it's an accident!

Last edited:
I have also been buying from Manheim Auto Auction for several years and the auction is not responsible for knowing the history or previous conditions of vehicles. Only vehicles that are considered "green light" can be considered for a buyback by the auction, and it is still the responsibility of the seller (usually another dealer) to label the vehicle.

Manheim has bought back Two Mercedes S class cars from us. On went under the green light but had the harmonic balancer problem along with several other issues. Too bad too as that car was Horizon blue which is about the best color on that car other than black.

I remember trying to buy a used Subaru XT from a Nissan dealer after college, and having the sense to pay a Subaru dealer perform a thorough prepurchase inspection instead of taking the Nissan dealer's word about the car. In the end, the Subaru inspection saved me about $3500 because they found major problems with the car that the Nissan dealer failed to disclose or didn't know about, and I didn't buy the vehicle.

I've learned to never take anyone's word about expensive purchases such as cars and houses, especially if the person has a vested interest in the sale.

What would have really surprised me is if an inspection were done on a Subaru XT and there weren't major problems found.:biggrin:

What steveny is saying is correct.

Auctions run cars as follows:

Green light = ride and drive
White light = Auction or sellers gurantee
red light = as is
Yellow = always accompanied by one of the above lights means they are announcing an issue

If by auto check or another source the auction finds a major wreck and or frame damage of any sort they will post say green light/yellow light and announce previous frame damage.

I have gotten bought back around 9 cars in 10 years in this business. It is VERY possible that the auction did not see the frame damage on the autocheck thereofore did not announce it. I just had this happen on a VW bug. Thanks god a dilligent customer brought this to my attention and I immediately called the auction because it was on carfax and autocheck. They bought it back with no questions asked.

One car did not get bought back. It was simple. the autocheck and carfax report of the frame damage was not reported until after the car was bought by me at the auction. I understood that and there was nothing I could do. It was no fault of the auction and I missed the previous paint work I guess..

Either way I sent it back to the same auction the next week and announced it as previous unibody damage. End of story. Yeah I lost about 700 dollars but its better than selling a car that I know has been hit.

Manheim has bought back Two Mercedes S class cars from us. On went under the green light but had the harmonic balancer problem along with several other issues. Too bad too as that car was Horizon blue which is about the best color on that car other than black.

They obviously bought your car back before it was sold off your lot. There is a big difference between a dealer or the new owner trying to get the auction to buy it back. I think this car would be better of swimming with the fish.:wink:

They obviously bought your car back before it was sold off your lot. There is a big difference between a dealer or the new owner trying to get the auction to buy it back. I think this car would be better of swimming with the fish.:wink:

The dealer should handle it in house either way..

But the new owner should NOT contact the auction. The dealer should handle the auction itself.

One car did not get bought back. It was simple. the autocheck and carfax report of the frame damage was not reported until after the car was bought by me at the auction. I understood that and there was nothing I could do. It was no fault of the auction and I missed the previous paint work I guess.. .

Had the same thing happen with an A4. Clean car fax MAJOR frame damage. There just isn't enough time to check a car out at the auction as they run them through so fast. I bet an auction house would do really well if they brought the car in and while it was being sold it was on a rack.

Either way I sent it back to the same auction the next week and announced it as previous unibody damage. End of story. Yeah I lost about 700 dollars but its better than selling a car that I know has been hit.

This was the part I was getting at how the car business is much like the stock market.

The dealer should handle it in house either way..

But the new owner should NOT contact the auction. The dealer should handle the auction itself.

So in this case the dealer should take the car back ASAP and give a full refund. Why let the current owner have to deal with electrical problems and the hassle of arguing with Infiniti about warranty coverage. This why I call them stealerships.

Ok lots of comments I have to respond on here. The car has 14k miles on it and wasn't purchased at an infiniti dealership, but instead a new car dealership (will name soon if they don't work with me, but not Luxury motors) that also had a highline department that sells 250 cars per month.

I didn't buy the car unseen, I traveled up there and looked at the car and drove it. While the inside was pretty dirty in my eyes, the outside looked fine. Why did I buy a non CPO'd car?...because it was supposed to be under full factory warranty so anything little things that were wrong with it, I felt I could get fixed at the local dealership. As long as it was a clean car with no wrecks, I thought that I would be fine.

Again, I had rented a car one-way and drove 3 hours to get there to see the car with intent on bringing it back. I asked for carfax, but they said they didn't have access to it, but again not to worry because all damage is disclosed in auctions and it was owned by Infiniti as a lease return which I guess is not the case. I would have figured that Infiniti would know if the car was wrecked or not.

After I recently saw the autocheck and carfax, they both say accident and collision with another car, but I don't see anything that says frame damage which is why I am trying to get previous owner to give me the insurance estimate of damage before he got rid of the car. They say nothing of the other accident and I have seen carfax being not that accurate anyway so I wasn't too stuck on it...to my detriment as it turns out. Ugh!

The dealer I bought it from is telling me that accidents and paintwork are not disclosed in an auction, but only frame damage. I have heard otherwise. He is basically saying that if we can show significant damage that wasn't disclosed then he can get the auction to buy it back which is why I am trying to get written statements from service dealership and previous owner.

The ad on the car says it appears to not have been smoked in and not have any paintwork/accidents which isn't the case. Appears means nothing to me to I told the salesguy that appears wasn't good enough and to talk to the guy who bought it and find out the story. He came back and assured me all was good. I asked several times when I was in the dealership in person as well and got the same answer. I have nothing in writing. The dealer should have known because not only is it their business, their website shows they have a body shop on site as well.

So in this case the dealer should take the car back ASAP and give a full refund. Why let the current owner have to deal with electrical problems and the hassle of arguing with Infiniti about warranty coverage. This why I call them stealerships.

Exactly! They should do so. Then they should run it back threw the sale they got it from and take their loss.

Drive the phucking thing right through their showroom and step out and say whoops.

You know this isn't a bad idea...or alternatively crash into some cars at their dealership. Maybe spill a really hot coffee on your lap and accidentally hit the accelerator.

I guess its good to have insurance...:wink:

For the few thousand it might cost you I'd kindly have your lawyer place a call to the dealership you bought it from. It still sounds like you're being given the runaround by the dealership as it seems unlikely the auction will take it back.

I'd rather pay $2k or so to hire a lawyer, sue them, and claim compensation than be stuck with the POS you have - that will cost you more in the long run.

Hope it all goes well for you:smile:

You need to check your state's lemon laws. Some states apply to used cars, laundered ones, wrecked ones, etc.

Also, if your state has a used lemon law, being sold "as-is" should not void your rights.

Back