• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I just put Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 in the tranny and engine

So that charts are showing 0-5w-30, I've read through this thread of people using anything from 5w to 10w-30...

What is the recommended weight to use for the Amsoil Synthetic Synchromesh?

the only weight that they come in is 5w30 (per a phone call with them)

Synthetic motor oil, while good and slippery for the engine, is worse than Dino motor oil in the transmission. Get it out of there or you will wear down your synchronizers.

When shifting, the synchro will take more time to sync up when using a Synthetic engine oil in the transmission because the more "slippery" of this ENGINE oil will allow the synchros to spin and not slow down as quickly during shifting. Hence, unless you reduce your shift time, you will prematurely wear them down.

Don't ask me how I know.

If you want Synthetic, go with a synthetic transmission oil and don't risk damaging your synchros for a few bucks more.

I just bought 8 quarts of this for both the GTO and NSX.

mtf_qt_900.jpg

I'll provide updates on how the tranny shifts for the NSX after 5k miles with the Pennzoil Platinum.

I just put in that AMSoil synchromesh a few months ago. Haven't felt much of a difference, then again I only have put on a few hundred miles.

My $0.02...

My car was in the snap ring range so the dealer replaced the transmission case (it was still under warranty)... as long as they were in there I had them do the Japanese gear set and the Comptech 4.55 ring and pinion. That was 12 or thirteen years ago (over 20K miles, most of them track miles)... per Comptech's request I used Redline MTL in the gear box and have continued to do so.

My $0.02...

My car was in the snap ring range so the dealer replaced the transmission case (it was still under warranty)... as long as they were in there I had them do the Japanese gear set and the Comptech 4.55 ring and pinion. That was 12 or thirteen years ago (over 20K miles, most of them track miles)... per Comptech's request I used Redline MTL in the gear box and have continued to do so.

Are you happy with the short gears? Sorry to gleep the thread with this question but then it will most likely turn into a horse power gain thread anyway....:biggrin: Just kidding Batman...:wink:

Are you happy with the short gears? Sorry to gleep the thread with this question but then it will most likely turn into a horse power gain thread anyway....:biggrin: Just kidding Batman...:wink:

The single best mod one can do. Seriously!

....... per Comptech's request I used Redline MTL in the gear box and have continued to do so.

I've been a huge Redline oil fanatic when I had the RX7, GTO and NSX.

But lately I started to review and compare Redline to the likes of Amsoil, Pennzoil , RP, Neo Oil, etc.

Based on other car forums and from my personal experience I think Redline isn't the best option out there.

I had MTL in there and the shifting wasn't as smooth and was notchy.

Drained it out, installed Pennzoil 10w30 Platinum synthetic motor oil and the results were smoother shifting, even during cold starts.

I suspect that i will have better results with Amsoil Synchromesh.

The potential direction for me going with the new SOS Supercharger and perhaps the stroker kit won't require those gears to be amended.

I just installed the Amsoil.

Compared to Honda MTF fluid, Redline MTL and Pennzoil 10w30 motor oil, this shifts smoother and faster, regardless of the transmission temps.

The shift also feels less notchy.

I will probably be doing that switch soon as well, car has been on redline fluids since Kenji owned it and I continued as I feel like if it ain't broke... but I have noticed the occasional notchy feeling and will also switch to ams and see what happens

I will probably be doing that switch soon as well, car has been on redline fluids since Kenji owned it and I continued as I feel like if it ain't broke... but I have noticed the occasional notchy feeling and will also switch to ams and see what happens

With redline I was occasionally grinding from 2nd to 3rd.

Non with pennzoil, but it still felt notchy - like the Honda MTF.

With Amsoil the gears feels like it's "cushioned" - for lack of a better term.

I've been using Amsoil in my car for the past 2 years. I used Amsoil 5W-30 in the engine. Doesnt burn a drop of oil. I just put in Amsoil tranny oil; didnt really feel a difference tho. Maybe because the old Honda tranny oil was only in there for a year.

I'm due for an oil change soon. I have a few cases of Amsoil 0W-30 ready. :smile:

When I purchased my '93 is had a pretty good grind going into 3rd at redline.

I used the GM synchromesh combo that was recommended on this forum. It took about 2000 miles but now I get no grind at all shifting into 3rd at redline.

8000 miles later my tranny is like butter and zero clutch chatter etc.

Good stuff.

KooKoo4NSX,
I agree with you on the GM tranny fluid,
when I first got my NSX it would grind every-so often,
but then read about the "GM SycroMesh Friction Modified"
and I swear by it now.
I have not grinded a gear or even Nicked one in almost a year.

if you go to a parts store and ask for it every freaking guy will tell you they dont make it anymore. or is discontinued,

NOPE that is wrong. you need to go to a Dealer that sells GM products
and buy it there.

funny story, I went to the local Autozone, those guys always " think " they know everything. 20 something year olds telling me how a car works.

well I ask for the GM Friction Modified they tell me it hasnt been available since November 1998, Im like what no-way

called the dealer " Yes Sir I have tons in stock "

picked up my Fluids and took the new UN-OPENED bottles to that Local Autozone and talked to the guy that told me they no-longer make it. and
showed him the bottles and said YES they do. the look on his face was priceless. I wasnt a dick about it just thought he would like to know.

LOL

I would say after I put the GM Friction Modified in my Transmission I could feel the difference with-in 10-15 miles.

like night and day, the tranny shifts like butter very soft when you enter the gear. yummy.

heres a link to lots of member on Prime Praising this stuff

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36761

So drain all your old fluids, then put all new fluids in your tranny.

Last edited:
30k miles later, the GM FM is working great. Still no 2nd gear grind since the change, so problem fixed.

I think I might change the fluid again anyhow.

BATMANs, is the Amsoil still holding up well? I'm changing my fluid this weekend and am reading up on peoples' opinions.

VERY well.

I couldn't have been happier. The more miles it had the better the shifting experience it got.

Also, I got the TWM A6 1+lb shift knob that enhanced the effect.

I've been using Amsoil in my car for the past 2 years. I used Amsoil 5W-30 in the engine. Doesnt burn a drop of oil. I just put in Amsoil tranny oil; didnt really feel a difference tho. Maybe because the old Honda tranny oil was only in there for a year.

I'm due for an oil change soon. I have a few cases of Amsoil 0W-30 ready. :smile:

Ur using the wrong stuff.

The engine oil doesn't have the syncromesh ingredients.

When I purchased my '93 is had a pretty good grind going into 3rd at redline.

I used the GM synchromesh combo that was recommended on this forum. It took about 2000 miles but now I get no grind at all shifting into 3rd at redline.

8000 miles later my tranny is like butter and zero clutch chatter etc.

Good stuff.

VERY good stuff.

I'm surprised and not surprised that this community hasn't heard about it. But then again most of the people on here drink and eat ONLY JDM and other import stuff. I see alot of mind sets that domestic anything is just garbage.....

KooKoo4NSX,
I agree with you on the GM tranny fluid,
when I first got my NSX it would grind every-so often,
but then read about the "GM SycroMesh Friction Modified"
and I swear by it now.
I have not grinded a gear or even Nicked one in almost a year.

if you go to a parts store and ask for it every freaking guy will tell you they dont make it anymore. or is discontinued,

NOPE that is wrong. you need to go to a Dealer that sells GM products
and buy it there.

funny story, I went to the local Autozone, those guys always " think " they know everything. 20 something year olds telling me how a car works.

well I ask for the GM Friction Modified they tell me it hasnt been available since November 1998, Im like what no-way

called the dealer " Yes Sir I have tons in stock "

picked up my Fluids and took the new UN-OPENED bottles to that Local Autozone and talked to the guy that told me they no-longer make it. and
showed him the bottles and said YES they do. the look on his face was priceless. I wasnt a dick about it just thought he would like to know.

LOL

I would say after I put the GM Friction Modified in my Transmission I could feel the difference with-in 10-15 miles.

like night and day, the tranny shifts like butter very soft when you enter the gear. yummy.

heres a link to lots of member on Prime Praising this stuff

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36761

So drain all your old fluids, then put all new fluids in your tranny.

The LSx guys like the Amsoil stuff better. It's even smoother shifting.

Been using Amsoil 0W-30 Signature series for a few months already in my engine. I haven't noticed any differences in performance from Amsoil 5W-30, but I do notice my valves being more ticky and louder.

sso_quart_350pxh.jpg

Back