• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I just put Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 in the tranny and engine

Total of 8 quarts for both.

I figured out why not give it a try. The owner's manual calls for motor oil. And at the time it was a lessor grade of motor oil.

Previously it had Redline MTL in there with 50k~ miles on the oil.

I was impressed with how clean the tranny oil looked when it was draining.

What's nice about using the Pennzoil 10w30 over the MTL is that there is no "warm-up" time required to have some smooth shifting. In other words it felt the same from cold to operating temps.

The MTL wasn't bad, but there seems to a very slight difference in the feel from cold to operating temps. Most people might not notice that, but I'm one of those that do.

I elected with Pennzoil Platinum since I consider it the best "mainstream" oil on the market. Better than M1.

sso_4ball_large.gif

amsoil_4ball_comparison-product-code-tso.jpg

When I change by engine oil next time, I'm going to use Amsoil Syncromesh next.

Last edited:
Without a friction modifier in the trans/diff you may experience diff. clutch plate noise in low speed, sharp right and left turns(like when you are making a u-turn or turning after backing out of your driveway). Sounds like something scraping on metal. Just something to keep an ear out for.

Without a friction modifier in the trans/diff you may experience diff. clutch plate noise in low speed, sharp right and left turns(like when you are making a u-turn or turning after backing out of your driveway). Sounds like something scraping on metal. Just something to keep an ear out for.

I experienced none of that.

I've got 150~ miles with it in the tranny with no problems.

Did you not see my post from your other thread?

Although your 1993 owners manual says to use motor oil for your transmission instead of Honda MTF fluid, the newer owners manuals was updated in newer NSX to use Honda MTF instead.

I guessing the reason for this, as someone already mentioned is that Honda didn't come out with a MTF until around 1996.

I'm sure your NSX won't blow up because you used motor oil in your tranny, Honda's been using it for 5 years before they changed their recommendation, but why would you not use something that is better for your car.

Technology have changed and they have learned a few things since they wrote that 1993 owner's manual.

Last edited:
Did you not see my post from your other thread?

Although your 1993 owners manual says to use motor oil for your transmission instead of Honda MTF fluid, the newer owners manuals was updated in newer NSX to use Honda MTF instead.

I guessing the reason for this, as someone already mentioned is that Honda didn't come out with a MTF until around 1996.

I'm sure your NSX won't blow up because you used motor oil in your tranny, Honda's been using it for 5 years before they changed their recommendation, but why would you not use something that is better for your car.

Technology have changed and they have learned a few things since they wrote that 1993 owner's manual.

When I called up Amsoil they recommended Motor Oil or Synchromesh ( depending on who u get on the phone).

I'm confident that when NSX manuals were written, synthetic engine oil were not mainstream.

Keep us posted how it works out for you.

I didn't follow Acura recommendation either. I'm using the GM syncromesh cocktail in my NSX. It seems to shift into first and reverse much easier with than the Acura OEM stuff. The OEM stuff won't even let me into reverse a majority of the time.

Keep us posted how it works out for you.

I didn't follow Acura recommendation either. I'm using the GM syncromesh cocktail in my NSX. It seems to shift into first and reverse much easier with than the Acura OEM stuff. The OEM stuff won't even let me into reverse a majority of the time.

U should try the Syncromesh stuff from Amsoil. According to the GM guys, especially ones that talked to shops that build high HP trannies, it's a better fluid.

I did have some problems shifting into reverse with the MTL towards the end of the 50K~ miles. Now, it's back to where it felt like years ago......

I will point out because I think it was either glazed over or missed all together in the other thread:

Someone mentioned that Honda didn't make a MTF until '96. If this is true, that might explain why owner's manual didn't say to put it in.

I just looked up the 2005 NSX Owners Manual on the Acura owner link website. Here is what is says:

If Honda MTF is not available, you may use an SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 viscosity motor oil with the API Certification seal that says ‘‘FOR GASOLINE ENGINES’’ as a temporary replacement. However, motor oil does not contain the proper additives, and continued use can cause stiffer shifting. Replace as soon as it is convenient.
I'm sure for easy non-aggressive street driving it will be fine for even a few thousand miles, but without the proper additives you are creating unnecessary wear on your transmission, and rebuilds are expensive (>$2,000). If you plan on keeping your car a long time, just put the right fluid in it.

Cars will almost ALWAYS shift better when changing the trans oil for the first few thousand miles. When I put GM Synchromesh, Royal Purple Synchromax, Redline MTL, Redline MT90, Redline Shockproof Heavy, M1 75W90, etc... in my Miata, M3, NSX, S2000, etc... The true ability/character of the oil shows 3-5,000 miles after the oil change. I have a lot of cars, drive a lot (street & track), and would not recommend putting motor oil in the tranny.

I don't doubt the motor oil shifts nicely when cold. I don't doubt everything will be fine for a few thousand miles. I don't have the answers to when or if you will notice poor shifting later on due to damage caused by using the motor oil in the transmission. I hope that the additives in the oil you have chosen protects from the level of wear caused by how (hard or easy) you drive your car. But I will state our position that we do not recommend using motor oil in the transmission.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Billy

Last edited:
Finally Batmans :rolleyes: is right about something. No not putting motor oil in the tranny but that Pennzoil Platinum is an awesome oil. The additive pack of PP is better than anything out there off the shelf. Its even meets Honda's specs for their turbo engine.

You can run all the cocktails you want in the tranny, but if you're having grinding, etc a rebuild is somewhere in your future. My rebuilt 5 speed with Honda fluid shifts a 100 times better than my S2000 now. It's amazing how good it feels compared to what it was before.

When I buy Kraft Dinner, it tells me to use Kraft margarine to make it. If you use anything else, it might ruin it. Which would be a tragedy.

Just sayin'...

When I buy Kraft Dinner, it tells me to use Kraft margarine to make it. If you use anything else, it might ruin it. Which would be a tragedy.

Just sayin'...

LOL :tongue:

LOL :tongue:

Kraft Disclaimer:

Using anything else will void all factory warranty. Kraft is not responsible for any disappointed childern, angry spouses, or ruined Thanksgiving dinners. User accepts full responsiblity. No financial compensation wil be given for any pain and suffering that my result from using non Kraft margarine.

Last edited:

Just sayin'...
I agree in regards to the branding, but putting motor oil in the tranny is more like putting Mayonnaise or Ketchup in the recipe instead of butter/margarine. While it may work, it dosn't taste good or have good results in the long run.

I agree in regards to the branding, but putting motor oil in the tranny is more like putting Mayonnaise or Ketchup in the recipe instead of butter/margarine. While it may work, it dosn't taste good or have good results in the long run.

My owner's and factory Tech Manual say put oil in the gearbox. As noted, Honda didn't (develop and) start using MTF until the mid 90s. I currently have about 30k miles on Mobil1 in the gearbox (after replacing broken snap ring) and until I reach the point where I need to drain and refil I'm not going to change over to MTF, or perhaps I'll even stay with oil, following applicable direction.

Miner

My owner's and factory Tech Manual say put oil in the gearbox. As noted, Honda didn't (develop and) start using MTF until the mid 90s. I currently have about 30k miles on Mobil1 in the gearbox (after replacing broken snap ring) and until I reach the point where I need to drain and refil I'm not going to change over to MTF, or perhaps I'll even stay with oil, following applicable direction.

Miner

I suspect that after 30k miles, if nothing bad happens then it should be good to go.

According to various wear tests the Pennzoil Platinum that I have in there now is superior to the Mobil1.

The car has 90k miles so right at 100k miles (if I still have it) I'll swap over to the Amsoil Synchromesh MTF.

Well, I just put in Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 recently for my last oil change, and though its a bit early to tell, I think my engine likes it better than the Mobil1 I was using recently, or the Royal Purple from years before. It just seems a bit smoother, a bit quieter. Hopefully its not just a placebo effect so I'll check the oil in a couple of thousand miles, but so far so good!

Well, I just put in Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 recently for my last oil change, and though its a bit early to tell, I think my engine likes it better than the Mobil1 I was using recently, or the Royal Purple from years before. It just seems a bit smoother, a bit quieter. Hopefully its not just a placebo effect so I'll check the oil in a couple of thousand miles, but so far so good!

I too noticed that the NSX and my brother's Outback was running a little smoother and quieter with regards to the cams.

well before they had cars they used Horses,, they both will get you there, but which one would you rather ride everyday for 25 years? I think since they didnt invent the MTF till the late 90's it was OK to use the only thing they had,, motor oil,, did they have motor oil for car with over 75000 miles back then/??? no they didnt,, they do now,, cuz of technology advances, put in ACURA MTF,, or the GM Snycromesh Friction Modified, dont use motor oil,,, the name alone says it "MOTOR OIL" my 2 cents

well before they had cars they used Horses,, they both will get you there, but which one would you rather ride everyday for 25 years? I think since they didnt invent the MTF till the late 90's it was OK to use the only thing they had,, motor oil,, did they have motor oil for car with over 75000 miles back then/??? no they didnt,, they do now,, cuz of technology advances, put in ACURA MTF,, or the GM Snycromesh Friction Modified, dont use motor oil,,, the name alone says it "MOTOR OIL" my 2 cents

They also didn't have serious advances in motor oil. Not just dino oil, but Synthetics as well.......

I had been using Redline trans fluid in my '94 5 speed which received R gears and R&P about 3k miles ago. I believe Honda's latest gear lube was put in at that time. When the trans was taken apart for the gear change we were surprised at how nice everything, including syncros, looked for 53K miles. Once all the new parts were given a chance to break in (new lightweight clutch and custom discs) everything worked well, but at a track day a month ago, the trans seemed a bit balky downshifting, or maybe it was just me not stirring the lever just right, has me thinking maybe to go back to Redline or try something else. I also have a large Unimog and they are notorious for a 4-5 gear shift difficulty when cold (two sets of internal gears, 4-5 means moving from low set of gears, 1-4, to high set of gears, 5-8, internally) tried Amsoil MTF and noticed major improvement when cold which says a lot about Amsoil MTF.

Amsoil Synchromesh is a direct replacement for Honda MTF.
see below...

AMSOIL Synthetic
Synchromesh
Transmission
Fluid

Specifically designed for manual transmissions and transaxles with synchromesh systems that require light viscosity, non-extreme pressure fortified oil. Formulated with advanced additive technology to provide proper friction characteristics for smooth shifting without grinding or bump shifting while providing theultimate in gear and bearing protection. Outperforms motor oils in manual transmissions and provides excellent performance inextreme temperatures from -400 Fto 3000 F.Possessesoutstandinganti-wear and anti-foam properties and is non-corrosive to yellow metals. Recommended for use in manual transmissionsand transaxles such as New Venture NVT350, 1500,2550, 3500,3550, 5600, Tremec T-4, T-5, T-18, T-176, TKO-500, TKO-600,TR3450, TR3550. Replaces GM part # 12345349, 12345577,12377916 and 1052931, Chrysler part # 4874464 and 4874465.

Meets GM specifications 9985648, 9986105 and 9985535 and Chrysler MS-9224 and MS-9417. Also replaces Honda GenuineMTF and MTF-94 used in some Range Rovers, MGs and Mini Coopers. Not for use in engines or wet clutches.

SyntheticSynchromesThransmissioFnluid(MTF)

......tried Amsoil MTF and noticed major improvement when cold which says a lot about Amsoil MTF.

Amsoil is suppose to be the best in the world.

A number of other car forums will agree as well as the wear tests.

Which MTF did you use? The Synchromesh?

The irony is that some of the Honda guys will use the GM syncromesh where the GM guys have upgraded to the Amsoil MTF.

Both American products which are superior to the Japanese Lubes........

I'll have to look for the original container, I had to buy 5 gallons because the Unimog took about 2 1/2. I just remember it said MTF 5-30, I don't remember if there was a "synchromesh" in the name or designation.

So that charts are showing 0-5w-30, I've read through this thread of people using anything from 5w to 10w-30...

What is the recommended weight to use for the Amsoil Synthetic Synchromesh?

Back