• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

i need a suggestion or tip with input shaft please

So I have done many many clutches...and this is the third time I've had my tranny off..different clutch
Issues.. I couldn't get the tranny to pop back on. I'm a.s.e. Certified so mechanics isn't anything
New. Do you guys have any tip or suggestions? I lubed the input shaft.. The clutch disks are
Aligned.. I even used three long bolts as sliders to be able to plop the tranny on...
I've turned the flywheel to try to align the splines. I'm at a loss and could use a tip.
Its an oem setup 1994 twin disk stock flywheel and pressure plate.
Used lube and clutch alignment tool.
I'm on jackstands with plenty of clearance

Thanks for any suggestions or tips guys

Bill

What is the "final" gap size between the trans and the engine?

I'm going to guess: alignment tool.

Can you get your hands on an old input shaft?

I had a problem at the last 1.5-2.0cm, the clutch fork was wedged behind the throw out bearing.

Drew

So this may not be of any value but the worst clutch job I did was on my TR6. The transmission comes out through the interior of the car! I tried to get that SOB aligned for what seemed like hours...'till I realized that the transmission had slipped into neutral and turning the "goes out" was not turning the "goes in."
LIke I said, may not be of any value but my (embarassing) 2 cents.

Take the Clutch back off the Engine & try on the input shaft of the G'box.

I had this happen once. The spline got burred up & no way would it go on until I got a needle file & cleaned up the burr.

The clutch alighnment tool must have been a slightly smaller diameter cause that would go straight in. This was quite confusing for a few hours.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll pull the disks back out and check for burrs and excessive tightness.
Overall gap is about an inch. As far as the clutchfork it didn't feel or appear to be an issue.
I'll go out there tonight and see if I can't get that bugger done :)

Bill

Weve come across this many times as well, the funny thing is there seems to be no reason for it not going in..take the trans back out slide the pilot tool in ..no problems..put the trans back in and ..it pops rite in. I have found that a large pry bar and a set of extra hands can help,apply pressure to the back of the trans with the bar and shake case side to side and often times it will pop in, good luck with it

I have found that a large pry bar and a set of extra hands can help,apply pressure to the back of the trans with the bar and shake case side to side and often times it will pop in, good luck with it

Hi Nabil,

I cannot agree more. I have a very strategic 30" 2x4 piece of wood that I use the gently push the trans in from the tailpiece while it is supported and aligned by the trans jack. That little nudge slides the trans right in. If the trans is aligned properly, it is easy, that is the key, IMO.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys. I DID manage to get the tranny on finally. The flywheel clutch disk
Had a few small burrs to it. I took the file and a thin straight slot screw driver and cleaned it up. Ofcourse
The alignment tool went in perfect before but was just enough to hang up the input shaft. I then lubed
the inners of the clutch disk as well as the input shaft and it slide right in.

So for future notes:
Check for burrs
Lube the heck out of input shaft and disk inners
Engine and transmission angling is key
Get a 2x4 piece of wood to help navigate tranny home.

Thanks again guys :)

Bill

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions. I pulled my tranny last night to try a new clutch and I got pretty intimidated about the thought of getting the tranny back on. Your comments will come in very handy over the next few days.

Lube the heck out of input shaft and disk inners

Bill

I think you need to be very careful with this. Lube should be MINIMUM, just enough to leave a nice film. I use a slight film on the pilot shaft(alignment tool), then slide it in. On the trans input shaft I use a small amount on the splines, that is it.

Remember the grease will attract clutch dust over time, which becomes the enemy to let the clutch disks move axially. This will yield to premature clutch shudder, as the grease gets contaminated with the dust.

In this case more is not better;).

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

Back