• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I want to build a display case. Ideas?

My son likes to collect model/diecast cars and I want to build a display case/cabinet for him to put them in. I'd like to make it big enough for his collection to "grow" into. Right now he has about 5 models that are in decent enough shape:

'70 Challenger
'69 Camaro
'64 Mustang
'85 Ferrari 308
'05 Mustang GT Police Car.

I've just ordered him a 911 C4S and uh... ahem... an 02 NSX for Christmas. I'm looking to build a case that could hold maybe 30 (or perhaps more) cars. Right now, I'm looking at 1:18 scale models, but we might set aside a shelf or two for some 1:43 scale models. Once we have the display case, I'll start looking at some of the higher quality models and even building our own (our little ones will get a hold of them if they are not locked up).

What are some ideas that I should consider? I've never built anything like this from scratch before, so I'm really looking for any advice from what materials/hardware/adhesives to use, to even some engineering advice on how to make sure it's sturdy and not "Made in China" quality.

IMHO, I would look into a modular display case. His collection will change and grow and you'll want something that can change and grow with his collection. Try googling modular glass display shelves or hardware. There are lots of nice sets out there, but if you want to stretch your creative muscles, then just look for just the hardware that hold panels and glass. Many of them will be the kind where two pieces clamp and hold the glass and have an attachment piece to then secure to a wall, rod or other structure.

My son started a 1:18 die-cast collection when he was a teenager (about 15 yrs ago) and ended up with over a hundred in his collection .. most of which he had in his room on the walls. You didn't say how old your son is but if he's not a teenager yet, he's probably going to want to get them out and be a little more hands on. So, an enclosed glass case might be a great thing as he gets older but is more of a 'look.. don't touch' thing .. not the best for younger kids where you're trying to get them interested in cars. The other consideration is how much the models cost and is he going to be in it as a serious collector or just to have fun. Most kids aren't the collector type .. the serious ones don't even put them in display cases .. they don't even open the box as the "new in box (NIB)" designation is worth more. Maisto makes some nicely detailed models with spring suspension and wheels that steer for $20 or less and there are quite a few manufacturers under $100 .. but the more expensive ones, like AutoArt tend to be in the $100 & up range with some exquisite engine bays and interiors. So, if you're at the lower end of the range, my advice would be to just build some modular open shelves. I used 36" x 12" manufactured shelving that was either 5/8 or 3/4" thick and was finished on all sides .. and ran it through my table saw to make 2 x 36" x 6" pieces which is wide enough to hold 3 cars without the shelves bending from the weight and deep enough that they won't fall off. I'd build a unit with about 10 shelves each about 5" apart IIRC and the shelves were held in place with side pieces with dado's for the shelves and horizontal pieces for screwing to the wall studs. The back was painted hardboard which stiffened the structure without added much weight. The finished product looked decent (for a kid's room); didn't cost a lot; and could be placed up on the wall away from smaller hands. My son used to spend hours regularly taking the cars off the wall; dusting them; admiring them; and putting them back. He's 27 and still does. The shelves have survived 2 moves and are now in his 'man cave' he shares with his fiancee. The only problem is that you need to be handy and have a table saw to pull it off.

If you decide not build one here's one that we use.

Ikea Detolf

detolf-glass-door-cabinet__72928_PE189178_S4.jpg

Awesome input so far. Thanks, everyone! :D

To answer some of the questions, my son is 15 and his nicer models (the more recently acquired ones) he has not played with very much. When he was younger, he used to roll them around like Hot Wheels, but not so much anymore. The idea is for us to have a collection that we can build and maintain together, display it somewhere semi-public in the house (maybe in the garage/man-cave, maybe in the den/T.V. room, etc).

The way I'm picutring it now is such that the entire collection can be viewed standing still (so, it's more wide, with room for 5 or 6 cars on each shelf).

I have been assuming that the "chassis" would be made of some kind of wood, with glass doors. Although, the wider I make it, the more cumbersome hinged doors become, assuming I can only build a double door piece. I might consider sliding doors that overlap each other in this case.

I have not decided whether the shelves should be wooden or glass, though.

As for the cutting, given the resources currently at my disposal, I would likely have to have any cutting or design/motif work done by a thrid party, but I first have to come up with something that we like.

I am looking at some AutoArt models as a future goal for the collection, but the 911 I bought him for Christmas is by Maisto (it looks great in the pics). The NSX is the Motormax one which also looks pretty good.

As for starting the project, any tips on what I need to know/find out before I spend any money? As it stands, my best guess is:

Sketch design
Draft to scale
Measure/cut wood or find/order glass in appropriate sizes
Get assembly hardware (how do I choose hardware/screw type and thread count, etc)
Assemble

As I mentioned in my earlier post, these die-cast models are surprisingly heavy so if you go with some kind of 5/8 or 3/4" shelving like you'd buy at Home Depot or Lowes, make sure that you don't have an unsupported span of more than 3 cars in width. If you went with solid wood (oak, pine, etc) then you might get to 5 wide. Or, if your design has some kind of backing material, then you could fasten through the backing into the back edge of the shelving to strengthen and go with longer shelves. I also tried putting mirrors at the back of some of the eye-level shelves but I'm not sure it was worth the effort.

I suspect that even if you have glass doors on the display, if you use glass shelves, they are going to be dust collectors that will need constant dusting compared to wooden shelves (where the dust will be there but not as noticeable). You might even have to use tempered glass to get enough strength.

I also did one vertically oriented shelf that held about a dozen cars. We had run out of horizontal wall space and decided to use the space on one side of a closet. I used two pieces of wood to create an L-shape on one side and the individual shelves were dado'd into it and cantelevered out. That way, you could have a single, narrow but tall, door.

Just some thoughts.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, these die-cast models are surprisingly heavy so if you go with some kind of 5/8 or 3/4" shelving like you'd buy at Home Depot or Lowes, make sure that you don't have an unsupported span of more than 3 cars in width. If you went with solid wood (oak, pine, etc) then you might get to 5 wide. Or, if your design has some kind of backing material, then you could fasten through the backing into the back edge of the shelving to strengthen and go with longer shelves. I also tried putting mirrors at the back of some of the eye-level shelves but I'm not sure it was worth the effort.

I suspect that even if you have glass doors on the display, if you use glass shelves, they are going to be dust collectors that will need constant dusting compared to wooden shelves (where the dust will be there but not as noticeable). You might even have to use tempered glass to get enough strength.

I also did one vertically oriented shelf that held about a dozen cars. We had run out of horizontal wall space and decided to use the space on one side of a closet. I used two pieces of wood to create an L-shape on one side and the individual shelves were dado'd into it and cantelevered out. That way, you could have a single, narrow but tall, door.

Just some thoughts.

Great input, thank you.

I think I will look into putting mirrors in the back, so that the cars can be seen without having to touch them, but if it's too much hassle, I may forgo that part.

What is yours standing on? Is it a flat bottom, or does it have legs? Or casters?

All the ones I've built for my son had the ability to be screwed into the wall both at the top and bottom. Studs are usually only 16" apart so a 36" wide one will have at least 2 anchor points top and bottom. Sorry, I can't find a picture to illustrate. I'll ask if he can send me a picture of his current installation.

Here's a shot of my son's current implementation. When he moved, we decided to take off the 1/8" hardboard backing and convert from 'hang from the wall' to a 'sit on a shelf' approach (which is a bookcase in this shot). But if you're going to hang it on the wall, I'd recommend keeping the backing to give it more structural rigidity. I air-nailed (small brads) the backing to the sides and top/bottom stringers similar to how inexpensive furniture/cabinets are made these days.
This shot also unintentionally illustrates the fact that there's a limit to the number of shelves (11 in this case) and the height you mount it as the very top and very bottom shelves are not great for displaying the models. He used to put his least favorites ones there and save the center ones for the preferred ones. Those are also the ones we put the mirrors behind although they're not currently installed.
Car shelves - small.jpg

I bought these two units at a scratch and dent sale at a furniture store to use as my display. For some reason the image won't appear vertical, but you can get the idea.
20131223_081743_2.jpg

Attachments

• 20131223_080813.jpg
    20131223_080813.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 79
That's great! Nothing like what I was imagining, but might acually be better (and easier to build) than what I was envisioning.

Thanks for the input!

My thought would be to have your son build this with you. Great bonding opportunity with a 15 year old.

Yeah, once he finds out I'm building it, he'll definitely want to help. Everytime I get my tools out, he follows me around looking for a chance to chip in... my 4-year old does the same. LOL!

Back