• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Insurance for the NSX is Killing me!!!

I am a financial planner. CSAA or AAA are very expensive. Since you are 21, you don't really stand a chance at lower insurance until 24. I am 39 and I pay $1,200.00 annually, with mercury, for full coverage and a $500.00 ded.

I used to be with Mercury, but found AAA to be much cheaper. After a couple years with them, I shopped again, and checked out Wawanessa on the recommendation of a friend. They beat AAA and everyone else. Anyway, my point is that no one company is cheapest all the time- some may discount or penalize each aspect differently- age, location, car. We know someone like State Farm will always be quite high, but you've got to shop around every few years, as conditions change constantly.

Jeff

i pay 683.00 every 6 months but i am 30 and have two other cars to use........i use statefarm and have full coverage.........by the way i am not racist or anything and I do have hispanic friends but when i was younger and had a acura integra and was hit by a hispanic guy who ran through a redlight and plowed into me spinning me 180......he had alcohol in his breath....gave me fake information and took off........i think anyone who is driving without insurance whether it be asian, white, purple, green, whatevers should be dealt with harshly but unforunately the law doesnt do crap.......i can only speak from my personal experiences......

In my opinion, self insure if possible, buy only catastrophic insurance that will ruin you and your family, so based on that, we only have liability insurance, if I total my car tomorrow in the ditch(knock wood), I will eat the lose, I will be upset, distressed, and set back $xxK, but it won't financially ruins me.

NSXROX said:
Doesn't everything cost more in California?

Of course, I'm with Progressive.

When I moved back to Southern California from Seattle WA - back in 1997, my insurance cost for my 1997 Honda Prelude doubled. What William is paying is actually reasonable; he is single, less than 10 years of driving experience, and a NSX. When my folks housed an exchange student from Malaysia, he was paying $4000/year for a Civic Si; at age 18.

Interesttingly, I'm 32 with 2 points on my record, I'm paying $3000 a year for my 2003 NSX and 2005 Civic Si. The funny thing is, my insurance is cheaper now than when I had my S2k,which was a single car policy.

Last edited:
Vancehu said:
Of course, I'm with Progressive.

Interesttingly, I'm 32 with 2 points on my record, I'm paying $3000 a month for my 2003 NSX and 2005 Civic Si. The funny thing is, my insurance is cheaper now than when I had my S2k,which was a single car policy.

$3000 a month. You must be kidding. I think you added one too many zeros on the price, correct?

schuey1010 said:
$3000 a month. You must be kidding. I think you added one too many zeros on the price, correct?

Yeah, it's 3000 per year. thanks for catching it.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their input. I went online to insweb.com, where insurance companies compete for your business. I have a couple different policy approvals. Most range from 160-250/mo, which is a heck of a lot better than the $380 i am currently paying. Now its time to research each company.

WealthBuildR said:
Thanks to everyone who gave me their input. I went online to insweb.com, where insurance companies compete for your business. I have a couple different policy approvals. Most range from 160-250/mo, which is a heck of a lot better than the $380 i am currently paying. Now its time to research each company.

Do be careful however, in my personal experience, the quoted price is always lower than the actual price. I went to Progressive in Seattle in 97, when I came back to Calfiornia, I had to get a new policy, and the quote wasn't bad, untill I got an addition bill in the mail a month later that was a lot more than I have anticipated.

Vancehu said:
Do be careful however, in my personal experience, the quoted price is always lower than the actual price. I went to Progressive in Seattle in 97, when I came back to Calfiornia, I had to get a new policy, and the quote wasn't bad, untill I got an addition bill in the mail a month later that was a lot more than I have anticipated.

You need to tell them up front about your high speed chase tickets. :wink: :biggrin:

Just got my bill from Wawanesa, and they've got a letter with it pointing out a California.gov website that compares example insurance rates. The link:

http://cdinswww.insurance.ca.gov/pls/wu_survey_auto/apsw_coverage$.startup

Click on "standard," and fill in your stats on the next page.

Wow, can't believe the range in there! And Wawanesa smokes them all =) But again, this is only one specefic example, and different companies can be cheap or expensive in different specefic situations.

HTH,
Jeff

Back