• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interest Level in new Exhaust System

Since I have had several PMs and postings in other threads indicating some interest in the exhaust system that I designed, I have started this thread to guage if interest is serious and what circumstances would make it real.

Essentially the all stainless steel system comprises:
1) Headers with true equal length tuned for 6,500rpm
2) 2 muffler system (straight through). can be customed to tweak sound volume and tone
3) choice of stainless tailpipes (the samples I saw numbered around 40+ designs)
4) equal length merge pipes tuned for 4,000 rpm
5) extension cable for O2 sensors
6) 3 different sized pipes for proper flow characteristics
7) Flexible connector between headers and merge pipes
8) All mandrell bends only
9) Can be full polish with no visible weld seams (extra cost) or raw stainless with welds visible

Non-cat version can be ready real quick as jig is already made and autocad drawing makes laser cutting pipes to size fast. Minimum run of 5 will entice factory to temporarily stop a production run to make it, otherwise need to wait for slack in production.

Cat version can be made but need to know how fussy people are about type of cat - price varies greatly

1) So at what price would there be demand, given that shipping will probably cost about $200 I think.

2) Would a cat-back exhaust without headers be more in demand (will not achieve the same sound) but can be tweaked for loudness and pitch (to a degree)

3) Given that I dont run this as business so credit card payment is not possible. And given that no one really knows if I'm for real, is there an acceptable payment method?

Any serious views on this?

Here are the sound clips again:

1) Driveaway

2) Driveby1

3) Driveby2

4) Driveoff1

5) Driveoff2

6) Stationary

7) Tunnel

From the vids you posted your exhaust system sounds great. I already have headers on my car. Are you going to make the exhaust sold seperate from the headers? Also some pics of the system would be nice to see. TIA.

demigod said:
From the vids you posted your exhaust system sounds great. I already have headers on my car. Are you going to make the exhaust sold seperate from the headers? Also some pics of the system would be nice to see. TIA.

The one 1 have needs to be used as a system. Making the cat-back alone is easier and cheaper.

Will shoot some tomorrow when there's more light, but without hoisting car up pics might not be great...but will try

These are the best shots I could get without a hoist. Its really dirty. Anyway in talks with a guy that is about to confirm as a "tester". Will take shots this time before shipping out to him.

Attachments

• mergeleft.jpg
    mergeleft.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 145
  • mergeright.jpg
    mergeright.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 149
  • rearside.jpg
    rearside.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 151
I am interested. I think there are many benefits to designing a system headers back than cat back. The clips sound really nice but without video its hard to see what sonic "environment" it was taken in. Who did this whole design? yourself? Did you ever dyno? or weigh the system?

TURBO2GO said:
I am interested. I think there are many benefits to designing a system headers back than cat back. The clips sound really nice but without video its hard to see what sonic "environment" it was taken in. Who did this whole design? yourself? Did you ever dyno? or weigh the system?
There's a clip with a motorbike driving past so you can judge relative loudness of the system, somewhat. At idle its about the same or quieter than stock. At part throttle it is about the same but higher pitched. At WOT is louder outside the car but in the cabin with windows up, its quiet as stock even at WOT. In fact with windows up you can only hear the engine noise not the exhaust. With windows down you hear a higher pitch that people outside the car.

Sizing of pipe lengths and diameters as well as merge points were calculated using two exhaust design software. Routing was designed by me to fit the space. Tuning is for street use but if you want a higher pitch, it can be done at the expense of less tuning boost in mid rpm range, infact it would be wave tuned for top end of rpm range and beyond which is technically useless for street but you still get the benefits of exhasut gas scavenging and less restriction compared to stock ie. there will still be some performance enhancement...but to some sound may be more important.

Back