• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is an Acura starter worth 10X?

Acura wants $933 for a starter, I called a local parts place (Winchester Auto) and they can get me a replacement after my core trade-in for $100.

I asked the Acura parts guy why there is such a discrepancy in price and he said the Acura one is better quality. He said the $100 starter would probably fail on me in 6 to 9 months. He also said the $100 starter probably wouldn't fit, the holes likely won't line up. After I pressed him a little, he finally said, "the other difference is that his starter has those 3 letters on it (NSX)."

Does anyone have any bad experiences with $100 starters? Is there any reason I should pay $933 for a starter? Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
Fact is it is not worth a penny more, if rebuilt properly:). One of my first NSX repairs was a starter for RSO34. He called me when the dealer stated $1300 for a starter replacement. $85 later he was up and running, that was ten years ago if I recall, still starting;). Now I did take it to an auto electric shop I had used for 20+ years, so I knew it would last.....

Happy New Year.

Regards,
LarryB

Fact is it is not worth a penny more, if rebuilt properly:). One of my first NSX repairs was a starter for RSO34. He called me when the dealer stated $1300 for a starter replacement. $85 later he was up and running, that was ten years ago if I recall, still starting;).

Yup, still starting. Thanks again larry!

p.s. and if you do the math, my original OEM lasted 5 years and I have gotten 10+ on my rebuilt one.

Last edited:
Like Blacknot said, most come with a lifetime warranty. I have had good luck with aftermarket parts from all the major part stores. Dealers are stealers, most of the time.

The dealer does get a big price for parts but you are comparing a new starter to a rebuilt one. Its easy to see its much more expensive to make a starter then just rebuild it.

Starters are not complex and the most common part to wear out is the brushes. Those are just a few dollars to buy. The last ones I bought were for a dodge colt many years a go and they cost $1.69 for the pr. A new replacement starter from the dealer was $500.

It's a little more now, but I bought an OEM DENSO-rebuilt starter from Amazon for $190 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5SGJU/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details?tag=vglnk-c471-20

They might be different between the years, but I'm 99% sure this will fit my '92 manual. Will positively find out in a few weeks.

No core charge... I get to keep my old one. Just couldn't pass up an acutal denso-rebuilt one for only $100 more than a local shop would have charged me.

Dave

It's a little more now, but I bought an OEM DENSO-rebuilt starter from Amazon for $190 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5SGJU/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details?tag=vglnk-c471-20

They might be different between the years, but I'm 99% sure this will fit my '92 manual. Will positively find out in a few weeks.

No core charge... I get to keep my old one. Just couldn't pass up an acutal denso-rebuilt one for only $100 more than a local shop would have charged me.

Dave

great info-let us know how it works when you install it.thanks

I recently replaced my starter with a "rebuilt" denso part. The part did not look the least bit like a rebuilt unit. Quite frankly it looked like new, left over stock. It fit perfectly and cost me somewhere in the ballpark of $150 (can't remember exactly).

Considering on our model starters 95% of the time, the starer motor is OK, and its the solenoid that has failed, you could do what I did and rebuild the failed part (the solenoid) for about 20 dollars.

ND34SOL by Victory Lap is the part number (I believe) I used for our starters solenoid.

20 dollars and 20 minutes later, I had a perfectly functioning starter again.

Or get a Reman one if you don't want to get into the guts! No reason to pay 1k for a starter!

Back