• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is there some sort of freeway crackdown going on?

I have driven my car back and forth to CSULB a number of times, with the GMSC in the rear hatch, and without, and rarely received a second glance. Now, for the second time in as many days, I have been closely followed by a CHP officer for 10+ minutes, changing lanes, etc. - I just arrived on campus, and towed a bike cop all the way onto the university drive, he only let off when I pulled into a parking garage :eek:

Did something I am not aware of happen? eg another fast & furious movie, enzo run over a grandma, etc.? This is horrible, has anyone else noticed an increased level of enforcement? I was not doing anything wrong, and I usually drive perfectly normal around CHP, police, etc., but this last bike cop had me very nervous, going 60mph in the slow lane - I think, if I still had the GT wing, that would have tipped me into the 'pull over' category both times, it seems they were just looking for an excuse.

I would hate to get some sort of monster 'fix it' ticket the week before my nsx is set to have the turbocharger installed, but I am going to have to drive it the rest of this week, as my daily driver was backed into.

Tint the rear hatch, and be worry free.:biggrin: or just tell the officer it is stock and have finger crossed hoping they will believe it.

I've noticed a lot of TAG Team CHP activities on the 5 Fwy just South of the 405 Interchange lately. One officer stands on the inner side of the truck lane with a radar/lidar type gun pointing at oncoming traffic and the other sits on the outside of the truck lane waiting in his/her vehicle. I guess once the officer traps a speeder the other officer tickets em.

This has been going on for weeks now. Times vary throughout the day. :mad:

yeah they are out for blood.

They cant go to a person who need there help but to give you a ticket they are like flys on shit. at least 8 people I know have got a ticket in the last 2 months.

They are out just to make money not to serve and protect.

Yikes! This is scary :eek: I think my Taitec diffuser/GT wing combo is a sure pullover combo. Luckily everything in my engine bay is stock. I'm going to stick to the speed limit from now on and cross my fingers :wink:

On another note this whole thing with these cops is a bunch of BS. Pulling us over and following us because we have nice cars. If i'm speeding excessively or driving reckless then by all means give me a ticket, as I deserve it. But all of this harrasment and trouble for minding my own business? They lose my respect for doing that. John, unfortunately for guys like us with fixed up cars it may be cheaper for us to fork over $1800 and invest in an CHP 1199 license plate.

It's stuff like this that bothers me. This is good motivation to succeed at what I do best and make enough money so I don't have to worry about stupid stuff like this. Cheers to working hard and being able to buy my 360 Challenge in a few years and not having to worry about what happens when I get pulled over :tongue:

I just got pulled over yesterday riding my bike, because I had put my plates a little further down on the bike. I couldn't believe it! I asked him if he was serious about writing me up for this, and he said, yeap. It's one thing to pull me over for speeding and write me up for not having my plates in the proper location, but to pull me over just for that is ridiculous. It took him 20 minutes to write me up.

That is why I have no respect for some of the cops out there.

Fight it. If your argument has merit and the citation is petty, I would think a RESONABLE judge would see the pettiness on the infraction. Let's have increased traffic flow here in LA not less. Get the slow, distracted, rubber-necking drivers off the road instead of giving tickets to drivers going from point A to point B. It must be me but I think my judgment is f***** up. I think 60 looks 45 and I think 80 looks like normal speed...... and I mean I'm not looking at the speedometer when I judge what 60 or 65 looks like. Do ANY DISRESPECTFUL drivers use the rear view mirror to see NSX's, Vettes, and Porsche's closing in from behind and think to their braindead selves that they should change lanes when in lane 1? They need to ticket cars bottom line. It makes money for the state. Seems like driving the legal limit knowing that they are behind is also a grounds to pull us over. Drive you everyday sh**** car and see if they give you a second glance.

thay had a check point here on clairmont mesa blvd yesterday pulling all inports over. i was taking no test drives thats for sure

Yikes! No more picking up parts from Mark at Pann Auto in the NSX :eek: This really sucks. I can't even leave my safety zone now (Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Bel Air, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood) without being afraid of getting pulled over. Are they only doing the checkpoint things in San Diego or has it spread to OC and LA?

Wow.
I haven’t had anything like this happen to me lately.
But if I had CHP following me for more than 2 mins. I’d change lanes, then get off the fwy. just cause he’d make me nervous. And if pulled over I’d state just that. “if you are following me, then there must be a reason. I got off the fwy to make sure my car was okay. Did my plate fall off? Brake lights working? Flat or low tire? What do you see that I don’t know about? I know I’m not speeding. My registration is valid, I have insurance, not drinking... why stop me?”

If pulled over, the best advice is to be polite and respectful at all costs - even if it is a BS stop. I’ve been given warnings instead of tickets for just that reason. “Yes Sir” goes a long way. :)

The basics help a lot:
Roll your windows down immediately. Pull to a safe spot. Turn off your engine. Keep both hands on the wheel in plain sight until the officer askes you to do otherwise. All the little things add up to help the officer understand you are no threat, and not an a-hole.

The problem typically is how do you handle the situation with it's the other way. I am not implying cops are aholes, but I speak for the particular ones that I've run into and that are just out looking for blood.

I'm always polite, always respectful, but doesn't matter. Gone through courts, filed complaints...etc w/out any noticeable difference. At the end of the day, I am learning to drive like grandma, and just stay out of sight. My time is worth alot more than trying to explain what happened to a judge, or sargent when I am starting with a losing battle in the first place with this 'justice' system.

I've been noticing the overall increase of police presence in OC lately, not sure why. Jamboree SB at Barranca toward the 405 is a hot area, almost someone pulled over daily last few weeks.

Wow.
All the little things add up to help the officer understand you are no threat, and not an a-hole.

You know that I was in no way implying anyone here would be an a-hole if pulled over. :redface:

And I 100% agree, my time is worth more than the uphill battle in court.
Maybe the best thing we can do is post the areas where we see high Police or CHP activity - as you have already started a list.

They'd make a lot more money giving tickets to distracted drivers, rubber neckers, and people getting off the off ramp who don't know how to make a right turn on red. They don't even have to waste gas, just stand at the bottom of the ramp. The shit I see everyday on the freeway that deserve tickets are many yet when I'm in my X, they can't see any ther car but mine. Where are the tickets on two/three cars per lane per metered light and dumb shits don't know if they are the second or third car at the meter?

:rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :frown:

I just received the bill for my citation....$425 :eek: !?! This is an f---ing joke :mad:

:eek: :eek: :eek: Thats pretty expensive for a fix it ticket. Sorry man I feel your pain..... I think you should fight it or see if that can be reduced. I guess the state really needs money. :cool:

We are having a similar problem here in Las Vegas. I have yet to be pulled over in my NSX, but I was pulled over in my Integra Type R by the NHP. I asked him why he stopped me, and he said he saw a puff of smoke from the exhaust, and also commented that the exhaust was a little loud.

I said hello, and explained how the Accusump was causing the smoke problem, and that it's being fixed. I went on to explain that the car was a fully built road course time trials car (4 point padded roll bar, Sparcos, 5-points, etc.), and explained how I was an SCCA member. He then said "oh, ok, I thought you were a street racer". He left, saying "goodbye, have a good evening" and did not even mention giving me a ticket for anything.

Those statements by the NHP officer pretty much say it all; all branches of law enforcement are out for blood when it comes to street racing. The street racing scene here in Nevada and Cali has cost many innocent lives, not to mention the lives of the street racers. Almost all law enforcement people believe that many street racers are also involved in auto theft rings. Be sure to thank the street racers in your area the next time you get undue attention from the police while driving your NSX.

Luckily, it's a fix-it ticket. I just have to put the bike back to factory and get it inspected. My fine will drop to $10 :biggrin: :wink:

Glad it turned out ok for you bud. :smile:

I've had 3 tickets in the last 2 months... 1 fix it ticket while I was in a rental car for a busted tail light (fkin ghetto enterprise cars) and then a speeding ticket in that same car...

And just 2 weeks ago I had my new NSX only for 2 days and a cop on Sunset Blvd on one of those brand new BMW motorcycles popped me for doing 53 in a 35... he said he clocked me at 65 in a 35 but said since I couldn't take traffic school for that he'd knock it down to 53 in a 35.

And today I drove up to hollywood to grab dinner and there were cops EVERYWHERE > Eye balling me around every corner..... wtf?

I've had 3 tickets in the last 2 months... 1 fix it ticket while I was in a rental car for a busted tail light (fkin ghetto enterprise cars) and then a speeding ticket in that same car...

And just 2 weeks ago I had my new NSX only for 2 days and a cop on Sunset Blvd on one of those brand new BMW motorcycles popped me for doing 53 in a 35... he said he clocked me at 65 in a 35 but said since I couldn't take traffic school for that he'd knock it down to 53 in a 35.

And today I drove up to hollywood to grab dinner and there were cops EVERYWHERE > Eye balling me around every corner..... wtf?

I'm willing to bet $100 that cop on the BMW was BHPD. You got popped by a Beverly Hills cop because you were speeding excessively! 65 in a 35 is too much in this area or in any area...... They didn't pick on you for no reason. If you do something to stand out they will get you. You're lucky that the cop was cool and reduced the mph # on the ticket. On Sunset don't drive more than 40mph (in Beverly Hills and Bel Air, Pacific Palisades if yo go that far) and stay at the speed limit if you're in West Hollywood, or lower! West Hollywood is the same thing. They'll look at you all they want but won't pull you over if you don't 1. speed excessively or 2. do anything stupid like revving your exhaust..... There are a million cops out there (West Hollywood) because it was a Wednesday night and there are a million drunk people who come out from all the clubs on Sunset, this is not new and there is a reason for it......... West Hollywood is a very nice and expensive place to live, the local nightlife brings in a lot of outsiders who could care less about preserving the area, so the police here are a good thing IMHO.

Consider us fortunate to live in this area. You just need to "respect" the local laws and residents and you'll be fine. You need to remember who lives off of Sunset Blvd. in Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, they're ALL multi-million dollar mansions with rich people. Hence the low speed limits to keep things quiet and safe. The people who live here enjoy the fact that it is quiet and peaceful and pay a lot in taxes to keep it that way. I made a decision not to do certain things in my car, including "playing" with other nice cars that pull up next to me, ripping through neighborhoods at odd hours of the night so I can hear my exhaust, etc....... I do this out of respect for the extremely nice area that I live in, the local residents (myself being one), and the fact that the cops will get you for it, and yes, even if you can afford it......... They won't pick on you here undeservingly. The majority of the people they pull over are rich and could care less and they know that. In the end they are just trying to keep the area "pristine" if that makes any sense.

I've been noticing the overall increase of police presence in OC lately...

The CHP recently graduated a significant number of officers. I heard it was the biggest graduating class in the last 40 years. This is one reason we are seeing increased traffic stops on both the highways and the surface streets. Plus it's easy revenue, so it makes sense that cities are doing more to enforce traffic violations. Can't blame them - if i was in that business, I'd do the same.

In my area I now regularly see two to three officers waiting at the top of onramps as another officer waits on the freeway to tag speeders and hand them off.

The CHP recently graduated a significant number of officers. I heard it was the biggest graduating class in the last 40 years. This is one reason we are seeing increased traffic stops on both the highways and the surface streets. Plus it's easy revenue, so it makes sense that cities are doing more to enforce traffic violations. Can't blame them - if i was in that business, I'd do the same.

In my area I now regularly see two to three officers waiting at the top of onramps as another officer waits on the freeway to tag speeders and hand them off.

BOooo....

i remember driving my orange widebody nsx, and i got pulled over for my taitec exhaust. and there were a few lines muttered by the officer that really annoyed me... understand that not all officers are bad... and these few bad apples ruin the image for all the good ones...

i remember him saying "so where are you off to today such a hurry? the races?" and i'm like what? do you not see me dressed up in business attire?! and he started looking over the car and said "man, with a car like this, you can't expect it not to catch up with you".... and i'm like WTH does that mean?!

I'm willing to bet $100 that cop on the BMW was BHPD. You got popped by a Beverly Hills cop because you were speeding excessively! 65 in a 35 is too much in this area or in any area...... They didn't pick on you for no reason. If you do something to stand out they will get you. You're lucky that the cop was cool and reduced the mph # on the ticket. On Sunset don't drive more than 40mph (in Beverly Hills and Bel Air, Pacific Palisades if yo go that far) and stay at the speed limit if you're in West Hollywood, or lower! West Hollywood is the same thing. They'll look at you all they want but won't pull you over if you don't 1. speed excessively or 2. do anything stupid like revving your exhaust..... There are a million cops out there (West Hollywood) because it was a Wednesday night and there are a million drunk people who come out from all the clubs on Sunset, this is not new and there is a reason for it......... West Hollywood is a very nice and expensive place to live, the local nightlife brings in a lot of outsiders who could care less about preserving the area, so the police here are a good thing IMHO.

Consider us fortunate to live in this area. You just need to "respect" the local laws and residents and you'll be fine. You need to remember who lives off of Sunset Blvd. in Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, they're ALL multi-million dollar mansions with rich people. Hence the low speed limits to keep things quiet and safe. The people who live here enjoy the fact that it is quiet and peaceful and pay a lot in taxes to keep it that way. I made a decision not to do certain things in my car, including "playing" with other nice cars that pull up next to me, ripping through neighborhoods at odd hours of the night so I can hear my exhaust, etc....... I do this out of respect for the extremely nice area that I live in, the local residents (myself being one), and the fact that the cops will get you for it, and yes, even if you can afford it......... They won't pick on you here deservingly. The majority of the people they pull over are rich and could care less and they know that. In the end they are just trying to keep the area "pristine" if that makes any sense.

There was no way I was going 65 in a 35 with the amount of traffic there was on Sunset... it was 11am on a Monday morning. I was going east on Sunset thru UCLA area and it was heavy traffic. Its not possible that I was going that fast so the fact that he was friendly and pretended to "give me a break" is just nonsense. At least he wasn't an ass. Trust me I have no problem paying for a ticket if I am guilty of the offense. But I watched that same BMW cop snag half a dozen people after he got me from my office window on sunset blvd. I think it is a bit overkill IMO. As long as people are not racing and being really stupid, they should just leave well enough alone.

And oh yea I'm going to fight this one.

There was no way I was going 65 in a 35 with the amount of traffic there was on Sunset... it was 11am on a Monday morning. I was going east on Sunset thru UCLA area and it was heavy traffic. Its not possible that I was going that fast so the fact that he was friendly and pretended to "give me a break" is just nonsense. At least he wasn't an ass. Trust me I have no problem paying for a ticket if I am guilty of the offense. But I watched that same BMW cop snag half a dozen people after he got me from my office window on sunset blvd. I think it is a bit overkill IMO. As long as people are not racing and being really stupid, they should just leave well enough alone.

And oh yea I'm going to fight this one.

Hmm..... well, chances are that he most likely never got a speed on you then. I got a similar ticket. 80 in a 65 after the cop saw me accelerate after switching lanes. He was so many cars behind that there was no way in hell he got a radar lock on me. He had to cut off another car in order to get behind me.

Honestly, how fast do you think you were going? 53 would still warrant a ticket unfortunately. I usually keep it at under 40 to be safe, but knowing that they might have just pulled you over for no good reason makes me agree with you that the ticket was BS. Honestly I think 50, heck even 60 (on some parts) is okay on Sunset, epecially the part where you were driving since it's just open road, but I don't do it anymore "just because"........

Back