• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is Umbrella the only company that offers on the fly suspension adjustments?

EAC

Legendary Member
We're most likely going to put a offer on a house this coming weekend and it has a downward sloped driveway. I'm sure my front lip will rub. Is Umbrella the only company that offers a on the fly height adjustable suspension?

No there's other companies , however i would run umbrella it's proven on Nsx already.

Last edited:
I spent a few months looking into the available options, before ordering a VRH kit; It's a well put together kit, from a vendor with NSX experience.

The lead time is about six weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

No there's other companies , however i would run umbrella it's proven on Nsx already.

Beat me to the post :smile:

Ravi is a good guy, he will go out of his way to make sure you are happy.

I don't think other kits have the same quality, mainly in cups themselves. They are slower to respond than the VRH kit. So yeah there are other options they are just not very good.

Not anymore. I've been officially authorized by the developer and designer of a new lift system to say a new system that has been in the works for a couple of years now is a few months away from being released. I have been a beta tester of this system for about a year now. The system on my car is an early prototype beta version, and it was developed from the ground up to address the shortcomings and disappointment this particular NSX owner had with the available lift systems for the NSX and for any car for that matter that is currently out there. It is my opinion that this new lift system will be well worth the wait for its release in a few months. The NSX and Exotic Car and Sports car community is usually difficult to impress, but it is my opinion that when you guys see this system you will be impressed.

The reason why I'm being a little vague on details is because as you business owners know, patents, lawyers, business insurance, and all the details that need to be finalized before new products are released to the general public need to be in order before it is released. I've been told things are very close to being all in order and ready for release in a few months.

It is also my humble opinion that those who do wait for this system will thank me later for the heads up. Not only from a price point (I do not know the exact pricing, but I believe it will be very competitive), but also from a materials quality, workmanship, performance, and OPTIONS.

I spoke with Bilstein in Germany about an on-the-fly height adjustable suspension. They recommended I contact Cargraphic, who told me they could put together a setup for an NSX.

Since Cargraphic got Walter Röhrl (two-time World Rally Champion) to endorse them, the quality should be good. The negative point I see with Cargraphic's Airlift system is that it takes 15 seconds to lift the car because it's done directly with an air compressor. However, since it doesn't use a compressed air tank like some other systems do, you don't need to carry around that extra ballast or sacrifice the space a tank would require.

Brent in texas has a nice kit on his car, it might be airbags. Ravi's kit takes a little longer than 6 weeks.
KW has a lift with their coilovers.

Last edited:
However, since it doesn't use a compressed air tank like some other systems do, you don't need to carry around that extra ballast or sacrifice the space a tank would require.

I gotta tell you, the aluminum tank itself weight almost nothing... The heavy parts are mainly the actual compressor and the cups. Waiting for a compressor to do this is a failed product IMO.

How much does it raise the car and is it available just for the front or do you need to buy the back too? It might screw up the geometry, I don't know so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks fellas.

I don't need the most expensive kit, I don't race the car at all. Short straight line bursts is about all.

Last edited:
Whether you have just the front or front and back it will not mess with geometry/physics of the cars current ability. The cup kit is just to raise and lower your ride. I have had the roberuta kit and the VRH. Both look the same other than the roberuta cup looking a bit slimmer. Probably due to coilover top hat type and car specifics. My current only raises the car right under 3.75 inches on full lift. Getting up in my driveway and as low as I ride this is a very useful component to have. I have yet to scrape the front of the car or the rear exhaust tips. I've updated my kit with improvements though. Same as noted above I have been working with a Shop in Cali on their current line of Cup kits and already have sent them a set of coilovers to machine towards for NSX applications.

Improved ride quality, prior to updating mine rode completely rough, bouncy at times and was not good unless I drove on a completely flat surface. This was on a custom set of coils from Umbrella. I had to adjust quite a bit in order to achieve the quality I have currently close to a slammed look riding like factory. I had the car corner balanced, height adjusted and aligned.

The vrh kit i seen with my own eyes lift the car fast in like 1 sec both cans front and rear are up in a sec time frame.

Last edited:
I gotta tell you, the aluminum tank itself weight almost nothing... The heavy parts are mainly the actual compressor and the cups. Waiting for a compressor to do this is a failed product IMO.

I agree with this. My tank literally weighs about 1 lb. It's a small tank that is completely hidden from view, but it holds enough air to lift the car once which is all you need, and only take about. 30 seconds for the compressor to recharge it.

YES... there IS an alternative in Lift Systems.

I've been secretly developing a new and innovative lift system since 2006. It started with at the NSXPO in Orlanado in 2006 during a lunch I had with the NSXCA president who told me that I should use my talents to develop a lift system for NSX's.

Fast forward 6 years... I've since developed and tested various working prototypes and am now finalizing the final details for the lift systems to be introduce to the market. I'm hoping they will be ready for unveiling in a couple of months. An unbelievable amount of time and money (roughly 5,000 hours and $250,000) has been invested in R & D and engineering and testing. In the course of developing the systems, we filed 4 patents to cover our innovative systems. I quit my "day job" and have been working full time for 2 years on the lift system development and getting ready for the product launch.

These systems will be Revolutionary. They will have innovative features that you don't even know that you need or want...yet. But once you see what they are, you won't want to be without them.

Those of you who know me, know how meticulous I am about my car. For example, I've purchased and tried 4 different suspension systems on my NSX before I was happy with the suspension. I've spent over $60,000 modifying my car to get it to be the best it can be while doing most of the work myself. I drove my car to NSXPO in New Jersey (from Hawaii) in 2011 it took the "Best in Show" award.

My lift systems have been developed with this same passion and dedication.
These lift systems will address all of the common concerns about lift systems including: weight, size, fitment, speed, quality, ease of use, etc. and they will have functions that are truly unique and beneficial to the car and driver.

I apologize for not being able to disclose more details at this time.
I assure you that if you wait for these revolutionary lift systems, you will be glad that you did.

Last edited:
Thank's Steven Lee for commenting. Steven's system is the system I have been beta testing for about a year now. I have an early prototype and even at that stage I'm very happy with it. There have been many updates since then, so I too can't wait to swap mine out for a final production version. The fact that it has been in development for so many years and that it has been beta tested for a few years says a lot about Steven's innovation and dedication to quality.

Can we see some pics of y your car Steven lol , can't wait for this product .can we just add it to any coil over btw

Can we see some pics of y your car Steven lol , can't wait for this product .can we just add it to any coil over btw

Here's a couple pics of my car.

NSX_travelling.JPG

Here's one of the "Off-Road" testing of the added ground clearance. (Note the front lip distance from the ground.)

NSX_travelling_2.JPG

Yes, my lift systems are versatile and designed to work with most of the available height adjustable coil overs. That was a major design objective.

I took that objective a step further and developed systems that allow the use of the original coil over springs.

These are some of the benefits of being able to use the springs that came with the coil overs:
No need to buy replacement springs and replace your existing springs with shorter springs to accommodate the lift system.
Shorter springs may be detrimental to the ride comfort and detrimental to the performance of the suspension system.
Shorter springs may have different frequencies than intended by the coil over designers and engineers resulting in less than optimum suspension performance.

My systems will allow the original coil over springs to be used in virtually all applications...AND they will accommodate a wide range of other springs, IF the owner desires to change the springs.

In most cases, I think the owners will prefer to keep and use the coil over springs that were designed for (and came with) their suspensions. If they want to change spring rates, or even change spring diameters, they can with my lift systems. They normally won't need to change to shorter springs and deal with the reduced performance (less travel) that changing to shorter springs may cause.

Last edited:
Yes, my lift systems are versatile and designed to work with all height adjustable coil overs. That was a major design objective.

I took that objective a step further and developed systems that allow the use of the original coil over springs.

These are some of the benefits of being able to use the springs that came with the coil overs:
No need to buy replacement springs and replace your existing springs with shorter springs to accommodate the lift system.
Shorter springs may be detrimental to the ride comfort and detrimental to the performance of the suspension system.
Shorter springs may have different frequencies than intended by the coil over designers and engineers resulting in less than optimum suspension performance.

My systems will allow the original coil over springs to be used in virtually all applications...AND they will accommodate a wide range of other springs, IF the owner desires to change the springs.

In most cases, I think the owners will prefer to keep and use the coil over springs that were designed for (and came with) their suspensions. If they want to change spring rates, or even change spring diameters, they can with my lift systems. They normally won't need to change to shorter springs and deal with the reduced performance (less travel) that changing to shorter springs may cause.
Steve, why not just increase the droop travel on the existing coilover?

Steve, why not just increase the droop travel on the existing coilover?

Some coil overs don't offer adjustable droop.... i.e KW V3.

Increasing the amount of droop does not provide the same effect as maintaining the original compression characteristics of the shocks.
Some systems require shorter springs because they occupy a larger amount of space than the original length springs would allow.
This means that a shorter spring is required to compensate for the thickness of the lift system components on cars such as the NSX front shock where the bottom spring perch can't be moved much lower without hitting the other suspension components. This results in having reduced compression travel for the spring to do its job.

Ravi makes a front only kit. the tanks can be hidden. There are quite a few videos and threads about ravi's VRH kit. Jeff(vroom) has the front only kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Some coil overs don't offer adjustable droop.... i.e KW V3.

Increasing the amount of droop does not provide the same effect as maintaining the original compression characteristics of the shocks.
Some systems require shorter springs because they occupy a larger amount of space than the original length springs would allow.
This means that a shorter spring is required to compensate for the thickness of the lift system components on cars such as the NSX front shock where the bottom spring perch can't be moved much lower without hitting the other suspension components. This results in having reduced compression travel for the spring to do its job.

which if the 3 readily available lift systems for the nsx require you to change the springs of your coilovers?

Back