• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JH4NA118XST000374 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0680152875&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am a newbie here and have joined as I am considering this car. I am currently the high bidder. Does anyone know this car? This car falls into the price range I have in mind for a Sunday driver. I have been doing the reading here and understand that the 97-01 offer some enhancements but I can't seem to find one in this price range. I am after lower miles on an older car before higher miles on a newer car. I am not interested in modifying the car in any way, I just want a NSX-T as an addition to the toy list without breaking the bank.
Peter

I dont know anything about the car. I would pull the trigger on this one. It seems to be a very fair buy it now price. If the timing belt and water pump is new also WOW even better. Finding a 97 to 01 with low miles at that price will be very hard....believe me I tried. I ended up settling for a 96 cause I wanted that targa top soooooo badly. I never had one regret buying my current NSX-T.I wish you luck finding one for yourself.

the car looks like a good find..it is missing the front spoiler,which some owners just take off due to bad aproach angles to thier driveways ect.you could post this link to the NW regional forum and see if anyone has first hand knowledge.

This looks like a really good deal...When i saw NSX-T, and then 43,000 miles, the number i would be thinking of it $37,000+. $33,000 is very good, im actually suspicious..i guess the report is all clean.

EDIT: This car is going for $35,000 on autotrader, guess he dropped the price for ebay buyers...?

Last edited:
cosmod250 (Peter), congrats on the purchase and let me be the first to welcome you to nsxprime and the nsx family, may your nsx provide you with years of enjoyment.:cool:

Last edited:
Hope it's clean that price is awfully low for a car like that? Makes me a little suspicous too - maybe some accident damage someone's not tellin you about - I'd be thinking of getting my own ppi? Hope it works out for you cause if it is clean you'll be getting a deal - well there will be things to do but having a new clutch is a big one. Good luck!

So here it is, already just over a year since I first posted about this car. The car was being offered on EBay and elsewhere by an auto broker. I did loads of research including talking to the last previous owner before the broker acquired it. The po was very helpful. The car was sold new in Portland and has always been in that area. I could not track down the first owner but the second provided me with the following info. He had owned the car for about 8 years and purchased it directly from the first owner who had originally leased it and then purchased the car from the lease company at the end of the term. The first owner sold it as "no declarations" and the second owner found this to be believable after his ppi. Owner 2 told me that neither he or the first owner had ever driven the car in the rain or snow and that it was always stored in a garage. The low mileage bears out that claim, (42000 miles at time of my purchase). He did inform me of a paint repair on the drivers rear 1/4 where he scraped it coming out of the garage. a minor scratch which did require painting of that panel, Of course I ran car proof and car fax reports which supported everything I was told. He informed me that the tbelt service had not been performed due to the low mileage and had not felt the need to perform it due to time.

nsx053.jpg

The car as it appeared in the ebay ad.

nsx015.jpg

Another shot from the EBay listing, the po had painted the stock wheels grey.

I flew to Portland, inspected the car and drove it home. I had spent lots of time trolling this site and had decided I would order the Angus exhaust and a set of 18/19 rims as my first mods to the car. It turns out that deciding on the Angus exhaust was fortuitous as Will proved to be a great resource of information on the NSX. From Will I ordered the exhaust, wheels, Tein Flex, subwoofer and enclosure, amp, and a Downforce '02 rear valence. Upon getting home I quickly installed the exhaust, wheels and tires ( I got those myself from a local supplier) and proceeded to drive the car until the season ended in October.

Image006small.jpg

September '10, wheels, tires and exhaust installed, original suspension and ride height.

In January we had a period of no snow so on a very cold dry morning I drove the car to the shop to have the major service performed. T belt, water pump, all seals and gaskets, all cooling hoses (SOS kit), main relay, Daves titanium harmonic balancer shield, bleed and replace clutch and brake fluid, exercise abs system etc. We decided to drop the power train right out to do this as we thought the greater access provided would make the job easier.

Image010.jpg

Image008.jpg

Image007.jpg

At the same time we installed the suspension and the freshly painted rear valence. While it was in the shop I also wired in a switch in the console that prevents the power antenna from going up unless engaged. As I always listen to sat radio or my Ipod on my USA Spec adapter I didn't want the flagpole up when not needed. The switch works perfectly but I only put the mast up and down a couple of times a year just to exercise it. Tonight I took a couple of shots of the car in it's current trim to share with all of you.

Image054.jpg

Image067.jpg

Image068.jpg

Image082.jpg

While pulling the engine we were of course able to do a very in depth inspection of the car and found it to be everything we expected. All bolts still had the factory markings, everything was original to the car and no signs of body repair anywhere. I have put on about 2500 miles since the service and have not used a drop of oil. Everything on the car works as it should and I am thrilled with my acquisition. I have a set of Jetz 02 skirts in the box that I will trial fit this winter but until I see them on I am not sure what I am going to think of them.

I am very happy with my '95. This is a sunny day driver only and will never see track use while in my possession so the power is adequate for me as is the 5 speed. I love my removable roof and could care less about body stiffness or lack thereof. As you can see in my sig one of my other toys is a 1968 Triumph, if you want to really see what cowl shake is cmon over and drive that car one day. When you put it on a hoist you can barely open the doors.

blog1.jpg

So that brings us up to date. This is a GREAT site, I have happily made a donation and will continue to do so. I have learnt so much here and check in several times a day just to see whats happening. I don't have a ton of posts but usually I find that before I even see a question someone else has already answered it.

Due to my remote rural location in British Columbia, Canada I will probably never get to meet most of you but hope to make some e-friends here as time goes on.

I also have found that what I have read here is true, the Red ones are the fastest!!

Peter

Last edited:
Wow car looks much nicer after the mods.. you didn't tell us you replaced the A emblem with the H emblem !!

Yup. I am one of those who feel the car has Honda DNA and in fact that there is no such thing as an Acura, for the most part they are just rebadged Honda's from the world pool of cars brought out so Honda could expand it's dealer base.

Careful or I might tell you how I really feel, lol.:wink:

Thanks all for the positive comments on my car.

Peter

I too need a new lip, looks good and the finishing touches you put on it was nice to look at. Happy motoring

Love the Triumph!!!! Welcome and enjoy all your toys!!!

Congrats! I thought I had recognized the photos of the Okanagan...I spent all of my summers as a kid in Kelowna.

Your car looks to be in pure mint condition. Enjoy it!

We love followup like this..enjoy!

Thanks for posting the details and the pictures. It's a real nice one and if it had a little paint due to a scratch - so what! Most of the cars you find that are that old have had some minor paint - it's not a problem and should no detract from the car.

Sounds like you did all the necessary deffered maintenancea and after all is said and done I would guess you put another $2500 at least in the car and probably more. So you're initial purchase price + the maintenance puts it right up to where is should be which I would get is around 35k.

This is a great follow up on the purchase price vs what you had to do to get it up to speed maintenance wise and others that read this should understand that too. How was the clutch and master/slave? Was it ok?
What is important to glean out of this is the old addage - pay now/upfront or pay later after purchase. I think everyone should write that down that is looking.

Sidwac would applaud this purchase - looks like a real clean one - doesn't it Sid - all the best on your purchase and many, many happy miles of motoring. Beautiful country to drive up there in BC!

Clutch was done with Honda parts by the broker just before I picked it up and I received a copy of the invoice. I purchased the car fully aware that I would do all the maintenance to bring it back to "day 1" condition and indeed had factored that into my purchase price.

In Canada parts are A LOT more expensive and the OEM parts alone for the maintenance were around $3400 including the main relay, water pump, hoses, Honda fluids etc. Now remember that we replaced every rubber, gasket, seal, hose, filter, spark plug etc. The fuel filter alone is $146 cdn, water pump $313, Tbelt 220,00, at a discount. I may have gone a little overboard but I wanted to only do the job once and to do it perfectly.

I guess that may be part of the reason you see such higher prices on Canadian NSX, it costs more to keep them up to date up here.

As an aside I also got all the little goodies with the car, the tool kit was complete including the tire pressure gauge, all the owners manuals etc in the leather folder, titanium key, factory accessory car cover, a brochure and even the 2 little plugs for the holes when the top is removed to stop wind noise. These items just helped to reinforce to me the previous owners commitment to the car by preserving all these little bits all those years.

The po told me that he had sold it to the broker due to a divorce and him needing the money for settlement. He said he missed the car every day and would be looking for another as soon as his finances would allow. He asked me to send him images of the car as I made changes so he could keep up on what it looks like today.

In tracking the ads the broker started it in the early summer at $37,900 but didn't push it as he was enjoying getting some use from the car himself. As the summer months passed he realized it was time to move it so he started reducing and I ended up paying $32,000 which I thought was ok considering the maintenance required. He claimed that after doing the clutch for $2400 he lost money on the transaction, I guess that's life in the big city.

All in all I am very pleased with the whole transaction and still can't get enough wheel time.

Peter

Car looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your story and updating us! Great choice on wheels, they really make the car IMO.

Do you have an aftermarket suspension?

Great story but perhaps while the engine was out it would
have been a good time to add headers.

Overall the car looks amazing and your wheels very tasteful.

Do you have an aftermarket suspension?

Great story but perhaps while the engine was out it would
have been a good time to add headers.

Overall the car looks amazing and your wheels very tasteful.

Tein Flex. A little stiff as talked about at much length on this site but all in all I am quite pleased for the price.

Yes I probably should have taken the opportunity to install some headers, it would have been the right time to do that.

Thanks, I am one of the old guys that still likes a silver wheel and I really liked the lip on these.

I am sweating my *** off in Puerto Vallarta this week. Had to come down to tend to some renovations on our condo. It was 37 yesterday and "felt like" 44 with humidity factor. Can't wait to get back to BC on Saturday and go for a nice roof off ride in the NSX.

Peter

Back